Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Columbo is such a great show that even when sometimes the final clues aren't great, the episodes still work wonderfully. It's all in the tension between Columbo and the killers. The last episode I watched was Publish or Perish. It was awesome.
    I think it probably is my favourite series of all time. Consistently excellent and with an incredible roster of actors making guest appearances. The dialogue and score are also quite stellar imho. Network tv doesn't make them like they used to, that's for sure.

Same here – most of all because the consistent quality. Have yet to see the post-70's episodes, so that will be an interesting experience!
    I hope you like them. They are a little longer and I feel not so well written as the earlier shows, but are still quite entertaining.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 17,279
    Columbo is such a great show that even when sometimes the final clues aren't great, the episodes still work wonderfully. It's all in the tension between Columbo and the killers. The last episode I watched was Publish or Perish. It was awesome.
    I think it probably is my favourite series of all time. Consistently excellent and with an incredible roster of actors making guest appearances. The dialogue and score are also quite stellar imho. Network tv doesn't make them like they used to, that's for sure.

Same here – most of all because the consistent quality. Have yet to see the post-70's episodes, so that will be an interesting experience!
    I hope you like them. They are a little longer and I feel not so well written as the earlier shows, but are still quite entertaining.

I'm sure I will! Usually when Columbo is shown in reruns here, they only show the 70's episodes (might be a tv rights issue or something), so it will be interesting to see Columbo in different decades, as well.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Anyone catch the latest season of Peaky Blinders yet? It's finally on Netflix in full today, hoping to start it up after work.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited December 2017 Posts: 4,043
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Anyone catch the latest season of Peaky Blinders yet? It's finally on Netflix in full today, hoping to start it up after work.

I think it might be the weakest yet, I have to say it's definitely entertaining but the teflon nature of the Shelby's is getting a little tiresome.

You'll see what I mean, great use of Radiohead's Pyramid song in the final episode though, Peaky does a great job with the music it has to be said.

My Wife said is it becoming a victim of it's own success and I said I think it might.

Also Brody's Italian gangster is laying that Brando Vito Coreleone impression a little too thick for my liking.

Definitely worth a watch, I hope S5 which may or may not be the last can offer more uncertainty and maybe some long lasting big upsets for the Shelby clan that resonate rather than just temporary setbacks.

It's starting to remind me of Sons of Anarchy which took until it's last season to see the downfall of the main character.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Shardlake, thanks for the reply. I'm a few minutes into the premiere, looking forward to what'll go down. I do get that sense of invincibility regarding the Shelbys: no matter how screwed they seem to be, they're fine at the end of the day. Figured a key member of the clan would've been killed off by now three seasons in, and possibly four after reading your assessment. Maybe they're saving it all for the end, if it does indeed conclude next season.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited December 2017 Posts: 6,721
    It may well be my favorite as well. It's a childhood favorite, actually.

As an aside, what do you make of Last Salute to the Commodore? I think that's the one episode that stands out from the rest for most people.

Edit: Hehe, forgot this! @bondjames

Some fine episodes in those later seasons. I greatly enjoy Columbo Goes to College, Agenda for Murder (Patrick McGoohan is just fantastic in this one!), Caution: Murder Can Be Hazardous to Your Health and A Bird in the Hand. Peter Falk is mostly in top form. As I mentioned elsewhere, while valid and interesting in its own way, his more cartoonish, arrogant late-seventies take on the role --probably related to the change in showrunner, as the book The Columbo Phile seems to suggest-- isn't quite my cup of tea, and while he plays the role in that style in some of the nineties episodes, he still comes across as more likable and less arrogant than before. Perhaps it's got something to do with the fact he is older.

Also, in the first comeback episode, Columbo Goes to the Guillotine, he has a great little reintroduction. And the scene has such tremendously stylish cinematography.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Shardlake, thanks for the reply. I'm a few minutes into the premiere, looking forward to what'll go down. I do get that sense of invincibility regarding the Shelbys: no matter how screwed they seem to be, they're fine at the end of the day. Figured a key member of the clan would've been killed off by now three seasons in, and possibly four after reading your assessment. Maybe they're saving it all for the end, if it does indeed conclude next season.

You'll probably know about one key family member by now and I don't want say anymore as it might lead you think something.

From what I've heard it was originally intended for 5 series but Steven Knight has now said it could stretch to 6.

The ending definitely suggests a change, I guess we'll see, I'm sure you'll enjoy it though it certainly wasn't rubbish.
    Tatort, two episodes: Die Fette Hoppe (referring to a sausage) the first Weimar Tatort really fun and a murder an confusion with plenty of suspects. And one pregnanat Commissar.
    Der Himmel ist ein Platz auf Erde - the first installment of a Nürnberg Tatort where the dead person killed in a car while being unfaithful to his wife send the police into very suspect situations the end is very much sadder and personal as this affair might have looked at the beginning.

As Always the average Tatort, the longest running Crime TV show in Germany still delivers plenty of great suspense and wicked sense of humor.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just started watching THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, that ran over six seasons in the 50s.
    A1MPB76CXBL._SL1500_.jpg

First episode was great, I am seeing it all. Bit strange the Kents are called Sara and Eben.
  • I loved that show! It’s been years... correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they imply in the pilot episode that Kryptonians were naturally superpowers (having nothing to do with our yellow sun)?
    That’s a huge character difference when you think about it!
    I loved that show! It’s been years... correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t they imply in the pilot episode that Kryptonians were naturally superpowers (having nothing to do with our yellow sun)?
    That’s a huge character difference when you think about it!

Yes, they were all advanced supermen. I wish I had gotten to see this as a kid.
    Just started watching THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, that ran over six seasons in the 50s.
    A1MPB76CXBL._SL1500_.jpg

First episode was great, I am seeing it all. Bit strange the Kents are called Sara and Eben.

Nice to see some love for The Adventures of Superman, which to this day remains my favorite live action interpretation of this character. George Reeves is my favorite Clark/Superman.
    The first and second seasons are my favorites with the wonderful black and white cinematography. The first season has several episodes which could fall into film noir category. Some of my favorites are : The Secret of Superman, The Evil Three, The Haunted Lighthouse, Panic In The Sky and The Face and The Voice.

Of the color episodes I like the last season the most.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A1MPB76CXBL._SL1500_.jpg

I should really buy these i have not seen them in sometime, I do have this...

latest?cb=20120918011949

...which had a slightly different tone to the series, Superman vs The Mole Men is rather good.

I have all the episodes to Smallville, Superboy and all the Fleischer cartoons and modern animated series and movies, scratching my head why I have not bought the George Reeves show.
    I really need to check out SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN some time. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I really need to check out SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN some time. Thanks for the reminder.

Its included in a few Superman boxsets, I have it on the Anthology boxset...

111031379SZ.jpg

Great Bluray boxset which is quite cheap for what you get.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Ready to RETRO! 8UVu5DX.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    McMafia

Crappy title for this drama but it's pretty damn good.

We sure we want to dismiss Norton as a potential Bond candidate post Craig?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    McMafia

Crappy title for this drama but it's pretty damn good.

We sure we want to dismiss Norton as a potential Bond candidate post Craig?
    I haven't seen it yet but intend to. With regards to Norton, he hasn't struck me as Bond material in the past. There's something a bit ordinary about him to me. Like Charlie Hunnam he ticks all the boxes on paper and physically but fails to resonate for me on screen. I also find his voice unsatisfactory (Brosnan made me realize how much of an important aspect of Bond that is for me). Still, I'm willing to view this so called 'audition' with an open mind.
    I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it when you get around to seeing it. Norton's voice in this drama sounds better than it usually does and I think if given a great script and excellent director to work with he'd actually be a pretty good Bond. There were times throughout the 2 episodes where I was reminded of a pre SF CraigBond.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'm curious to hear your thoughts on it when you get around to seeing it. Norton's voice in this drama sounds better than it usually does and I think if given a great script and excellent director to work with he'd actually be a pretty good Bond. There were times throughout the 2 episodes where I was reminded of a pre SF CraigBond.
    I'll definitely post my thoughts. I noticed his voice seemed different from the trailers. You're right that he has a bit of young Craig in him (but without the patented intensity). I just have a feeling EON will go in a very different direction with Bond 007, as they have done in the past (the new man is always quite different from his direct predecessor, perhaps to avoid unfavourable comparisons).
    Very true. Here's hoping Craig gets a satisfying last hurrah and that his successor is someone we can mostly approve of.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Not seen much of Norton, but he's far more agreeable than the most talked about folks who give me shivers, Hiddlestone included, who I think its a non story for the role.

I honestly think that Dan may be the first Bond to actively be involved in casting his successor, considering how involved he's been in the trajectory of these films already, and how close he and Barbara are. I can only hope that Bond 25 is a conclusive end and, like with Nolan's Batman, EON start fresh with a new guy who doesn't have to play Craig's Bond or anything like that. Best to clear the slate and go back to more standalone adventures and double down on the escapism and bizarreness.
    X-files season 11 episode 1
    SaintMark wrote: »

Does it bode well?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 4,043
    Norton gets my approval, yet to watch McMafia it's racking up on our Sky box.

He looks the part and is damn right terrifying in BBC's superlative Happy Valley.

He's certainly shown some range in his roles, for me it's him or Tom Hughes.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Death in Paradise, great to see it back on bbc1
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2018 Posts: 28,694
    @Shardlake, I really like Tom Hughes too, as he reminds me of Fleming's Bond a bit in some features. I think right now the only thing hampering my view is the Brosnan thing he has going on. By which I mean, I think like Brosnan in the late 80s (when he was lined up for the role) he has yet to grow into a man yet. He still looks boyish, but in a few years maybe that'll change. But as with Norton, I find him far more agreeable than about 96% of others suggested.

By the way, have you seen Hughes in The Game? I'm interested to see it, just to see how he works in a spy setting and story.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 7,653
    SaintMark wrote: »

Does it bode well?

Yes it does actually.

Saw the new Death in paradise as well, the new fella did fine.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    MV5BMTU1MTYwNjE5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDk2NDkwMDE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
    Got it for $10 and thought I'd give it a try since I hadn't seen it since it was broadcast in 1977. You know how you see something when you were young and you hate it, but when you see it again much later you can actually like it seeing it with new and more mature eyes?
    Well, this isn't one of those times. Utter crap.
    Oh well, the used DVD & record place gets another set and I'll get $2 back. ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    MV5BMTU1MTYwNjE5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDk2NDkwMDE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg
    Got it for $10 and thought I'd give it a try since I hadn't seen it since it was broadcast in 1977. You know how you see something when you were young and you hate it, but when you see it again much later you can actually like it seeing it with new and more mature eyes?
    Well, this isn't one of those times. Utter crap.
    Oh well, the used DVD & record place gets another set and I'll get $2 back. ;)

Love the Michael York film I have it on dvd though never watched the TV show of Logans Run not even sure it aired in the UK. The actor on the cover looks familiar trying to remember where I recognise him from.