Last TV Show You Watched?

Comments

All the seasons?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SharkBait wrote: »
    All the seasons?

Oh yeah, from the pilot to the series finale in that time period. It actually might've been slightly longer, but pretty much every day I was waking up early, throwing the show on, and watching it the entire day until I went to bed, I was so engrossed.
    Graham Norton show from a couple of weeks ago. Mission Impossible cast basically. great show and boy that ankle break? Wow!
    Star Trek Discovery a very nice show I would say.

Murder in Paradise each Thursday on BBC, excellent fun.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Endeavour ITV, prequel to Morse. Excellent televisual treat. I've only recently got into it. Never watched Endeavour from the beginning because I didn't see how they could do anything as good as the original. How wrong I was!
    Endeavour ITV, prequel to Morse. Excellent televisual treat. I've only recently got into it. Never watched Endeavour from the beginning because I didn't see how they could do anything as good as the original. How wrong I was!

Endeavour is one of my favourite period crime dramas! I too though the idea of a "young Inspector Morse" (which happens to be the tile in Norwegian) was ridiculous. But when I happened to see one of the episodes by chance on TV some years ago, I was immediately hooked! A fifth series is on the way I think; will have to see that when it's released!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited February 2018 Posts: 1,874

Endeavour is one of my favourite period crime dramas! I too though the idea of a "young Inspector Morse" (which happens to be the tile in Norwegian) was ridiculous. But when I happened to see one of the episodes by chance on TV some years ago, I was immediately hooked! A fifth series is on the way I think; will have to see that when it's released!

Just had the 3rd episode of Series 5 - and it's been as brilliant as previous. Great writing, great acting, great direction, fantastic programme. There are always so little nods and winks too. In the latest episode Endeavour goes to a motel in the midlands to check on a lead…and the motel is called Crossroads! [Crossroads was an early evening soap opera in Britain during the 60s and 70s - and it was quite bad].

Just had the 3rd episode of Series 5 - and it's been as brilliant as previous. Great writing, great acting, great direction, fantastic programme. There are always so little nods and winks too. In the latest episode Endeavour goes to a motel in the midlands to check on a lead…and the motel is called Crossroads! [Crossroads was an early evening soap opera in Britain during the 60s and 70s - and it was quite bad].

Interesting! There are probably some nods and winks that a non-English viewer might not pick up. Nice touch by the writers, though!

Did not know that the new series had began airing already. If the broadcaster here in Norway do what they did with the last series, we'll have to wait until easter. Will be a long wait - if I don't order series 5 from Amazon.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2018 Posts: 16,333
    I've started binge watching The Sopranos. Finished seasons 1 and 2, halfway through season 3. Excellent stuff.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I've started binge watching The Sopranos. Finished seasons 1 and 2, halfway through season 3. Excellent stuff.

I thought I'd take my time with it, but couldn't help but binge straight through it in its entirety. Incredible stuff.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

I thought I'd take my time with it, but couldn't help but binge straight through it in its entirety. Incredible stuff.

It's incredibly addicting. :D
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,297
    Never really got into Sopranos. Watched the first season, and couldn't go beyond that. All the talk about it being the best tv series ever made, probably put my expectations too high.

Same goes for more shows than just Sopranos, though.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    New Girl
    new-girl-season-5-new-roommate.jpg

Out of boardom I started watching this on Netflix about a week ago. I'm about to be completely caught up, almost done with season 6. I can't believe it's taken me this long to watch this show. I just found out the other day that season 7 will be the finale season... figures. I'm also reminded why I have such a huge crush on Zooey Deschanel.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,107
    Just finished watching the final episode of the Sopranos. Now I have to decide what to watch next. Oz, The Boardwalk Empire or even Mad Men or Breaking Bad, two shows I have never watched when they were on tv.
    Just finished watching the final episode of the Sopranos. Now I have to decide what to watch next. Oz, The Boardwalk Empire or even Mad Men or Breaking Bad, two shows I have never watched when they were on tv.

Ooh, go with Oz, please. One of my favorite HBO series. I flew through that one nearly a year before I checked out The Sopranos finally. I've still got to do The Wire one day soon. I'd start it now but I'm not too sure if I'll manage to finish it before season two of Westworld premieres; not big on watching several shows at one time.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 2,107
    I thought lot about Oz, but part of me wants more of the same; gangster drama.

I loved the Oz though. Really hard hitting show for a young lad. Made me not want to end up in prison. Ever.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Caught up on recent episodes of Death in Paradise a nice distraction to the Blizzard outside.
  • edited March 2018 Posts: 17,297

Mad Men is one of my all-time favourite TV series. Never has TV looked so stylish.
    I thought lot about Oz, but part of me wants more of the same; gangster drama.

I loved the Oz though. Really hard hitting show for a young lad. Made me not want to end up in prison. Ever.

Ahh, I didn't know you had seen it already; suppose it's not much of a priority if you have, then, as you know just how great it is. Definitely helped cement just how little I want to spend time in prison.

I couldn't get into Mad Men, I loved Breaking Bad, and haven't seen Boardwalk Empire in full. Got a few episodes in once and had a massive wave of spoilers unveiled accidentally, kind of killed my interest in progressing knowing how it would all end. Maybe I'll return to it some day.

If you go with Breaking Bad, follow it up with the brilliant Netflix series Ozark.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited March 2018 Posts: 2,721
    Babylon Berlin

Fantastic series. Outstanding cinematography and production design set in a volatile, intriguing era - 1929 Berlin. Communism, facism, imperialism and hedonism all clash and pull for control of the city. It also has a film noir style detective at the heart of the plot. And there are a couple of brazen Bondian steals. I think many Bond fans would enjoy this series. Here's hoping for another season!
    Babylon Berlin

Fantastic series. Outstanding cinematography and production design set in a volatile, intriguing era - 1929 Berlin. Communism, facism, imperialism and hedonism all clash and pull for control of the city. It also has a film noir style detective at the heart of the plot. And there are a couple of brazen Bondian steals. I think many Bond fans would enjoy this series. Here's hoping for another season!

Saw the trailer some time ago. Wasn't aware it had started airing!

Edit: Seems like it will start airing «sometime in 2018», here.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Mad Men is one of my all-time favourite TV series. Never has TV looked so stylish.
    An incredible show. Not only does it look amazing, but the characters are very well written and developed over the course of the seven seasons. Having said that, it's not a fast paced show. Rather, it's a slow burn. Think SF. So if visuals, atmosphere and rich character interactions aren't your cup of tea, it may not appeal.
    bondjames wrote: »

An incredible show. Not only does it look amazing, but the characters are very well written and developed over the course of the seven seasons. Having said that, it's not a fast paced show. Rather, it's a slow burn. Think SF. So if visuals, atmosphere and rich character interactions aren't your cup of tea, it may not appeal.

Which is why Mad Men surprised me. "Slow burn" drama series have never been my thing, not even after watching Mad Men, but that show just pushed all the right buttons, both in writing, style and casting.

And while we're discussing, let's not forget the brilliance that is Roger Sterling!

giphy.gif

The similar shows that followed, with much of the same tone (and set in the same time period) couldn't compete, really. Pan Am had a bit of style, but was too ABC/big network-like, and was cancelled after one season (probably when the characters and storyline was about to settle). Magic City had it's moments (and Olga Kurylenko!), while The Playboy Club wasn't really interesting at all, and only lasted seven episodes.

Have yet to see Masters of Sex, which does have a good IMDB rating.
    @Torgeirtrap I've seen seasons 1 and 2 of Masters of Sex. It's a very good show, but not quite in the same league as Mad Men, which was genre defining. Shows like this only come about once in a while. I haven't seen Pan Am, Magic City or The Playboy Club.

I see it as a sort of modern Dallas. There is definitely a certain soap operatic aspect to it (although it's subtle and without any 80's cheese), combined with a lot of real business savvy (one can learn a lot from that show about office politics etc.).

John Slattery was masterful casting. I worked for a partner at a consulting firm who reminded me so much of him some years back. Quite an iconoclast and a character.
    @Torgeirtrap I've seen seasons 1 and 2 of Masters of Sex. It's a very good show, but not quite in the same league as Mad Men, which was genre defining. Shows like this only come about once in a while. I haven't seen Pan Am, Magic City or The Playboy Club.

I see it as a sort of modern Dallas. There is definitely a certain soap operatic aspect to it (although it's subtle and without any 80's cheese), combined with a lot of real business savvy (one can learn a lot from that show about office politics etc.).

Can't comment on Dallas, as I've never seen it - but I'm sure you are right with that comparison. Regarding office politics, business etc. there is something to take from Mad Men. When I studied graphic design, we had a short lecture given by one of the teachers in the marketing course, and he actually showed a clip where Don Draper delivers the Hershey Bar pitch, as an example.
    John Slattery was masterful casting. I worked for a partner at a consulting firm who reminded me so much of him some years back. Quite an iconoclast and a character.

Great casting. With all the drama surrounding Don Draper, it was always great to have John Slattery as Roger Sterling, as a contrast to Drapers "heavy" character. Fun to see that the character actually reminds you of someone. Guess we can all come across types like Sterling.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883

Can't comment on Dallas, as I've never seen it - but I'm sure you are right with that comparison. Regarding office politics, business etc. there is something to take from Mad Men. When I studied graphic design, we had a short lecture given by one of the teachers in the marketing course, and he actually showed a clip where Don Draper delivers the Hershey Bar pitch, as an example.
    Exactly. I've been in presentations just like that. When someone is on form, it's magical to see. It's all about connecting with the customer/client.

Great casting. With all the drama surrounding Don Draper, it was always great to have John Slattery as Roger Sterling, as a contrast to Drapers "heavy" character. Fun to see that the character actually reminds you of someone. Guess we can all come across types like Sterling.
    I can't tell you how similar he was. A real standout. Most were ambitious career climbers like Campbell or political office stiffs like Pryce, but this guy was something else. Unpredictable and a party animal, but when on form he could command the room like nobody else, and convince the client of anything. There was actually a partner who reminded me of Bertram Cooper too, so I really related to the show.

Exactly. I've been in presentations exactly like that. When someone is on form, it's magical to see. It's all about connecting with the customer/client.

Indeed. Have yet to see presentations like that, but I know people who have a natural knack for making their points come across really well.

I can't tell you how similar he was. A real standout. Most were ambitious career climbers like Campbell or political office stiffs like Pryce, but this guy was something else. Unpredictable and a party animal, but when on form he could command the room like nobody else, and convince the client of anything. There was actually a partner who reminded me of Bertram Cooper too, so I really related to the show.

Haha, that's incredible! Would think that having types like these around you can be both fun and challenging! Only shows how well thought out the characters in Mad Men are. :)

Will have to put Masters of Sex on the "to watch"-list, I think. Had totally forgot that Michael Sheen was in that series. Good actor.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @Torgeirtrap I do recommend Masters of Sex. It's quite atmospheric and I think Lizzy Caplan is fantastic in it. Sheen is good too and they have great chemistry.

Regarding Mad Men, the big character in the show for which I had no real life counterpart was Don Draper. Sometimes when viewing the show I used to think (conceitedly) that this was because I was playing that part in real life, but then reality abruptly intruded and shook me out of the delusion.
    @Torgeirtrap I do recommend Masters of Sex. It's quite atmospheric and I think Lizzy Caplan is fantastic in it. Sheen is good too and they have great chemistry.

Regarding Mad Men, the big character in the show for which I had no real life counterpart was Don Draper. Sometimes when viewing the show I used to think (conceitedly) that this was because I was playing that part in real life, but then reality abruptly intruded and shook me out of the delusion.

Noted! I'll make sure to check it out soon!

Never felt a similarity between myself as a viewer and Don Draper, really. The complexity of Draper, and the darker elements to his character could only make me sympathize with him - sometimes. As far as similarities, I found about none. What aspects of Draper made you feel like you were playing that part in real life, when watching Mad Men?

Noted! I'll make sure to check it out soon!

Never felt a similarity between myself as a viewer and Don Draper, really. The complexity of Draper, and the darker elements to his character could only make me sympathize with him - sometimes. As far as similarities, I found about none. What aspects of Draper made you feel like you were playing that part in real life, when watching Mad Men?
    It's purely superficial. He's such a cool cat, just like Bond.

Similar to OO7, aspects of his personality, life and demons aren't something I'd like to carry around or endure but I just really like his style.