No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I personally don't have a problem with the comment. He's an actor and he's entitled to his feelings. It was a tough shoot for him.

I do have a problem with his and EON's (because it involved Bond) PR Dept and think they should have shut that down or countered it much earlier with something just as 'controversial'. The comment he made about 'having the best job in the world' or something like that wasn't good enough from a counter-narrative perspective and that was many months later anyway.

They are playing in the big leagues now (thanks to the two Mendes films) and I think they need to have a more coordinated response team.

Just my 'opinion'.

Actually it was only SF that made big league money. SP's ratio of invested money to earned one is probably quite poor.
    I personally don't have a problem with the comment. He's an actor and he's entitled to his feelings. It was a tough shoot for him.

I do have a problem with his and EON's (because it involved Bond) PR Dept and think they should have shut that down or countered it much earlier with something just as 'controversial'. The comment he made about 'having the best job in the world' or something like that wasn't good enough from a counter-narrative perspective and that was many months later anyway.

They are playing in the big leagues now (thanks to the two Mendes films) and I think they need to have a more coordinated response team.

Just my 'opinion'.

Actually it was only SF that made big league money. SP's ratio of invested money to earned one is probably quite poor.

Still did pretty well in terms of gross profit.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I don't think there has been any attempt of "damage control" from Eon regarding Craig. They've simply got on with their job and worked to strike a deal with Craig. Craig's agents and managers, all top of their game, know what to say and when, and they won't release any information which might spoil the deal they hope to strike with Eon.
    @ColonelSun, Craig has agents too.

While EON may not care about his comments getting press coverage every other day for two years, I'm sure someone cares. He has to get other roles in the future once his Bond gig is done (whenever that may be). The fact that these 'rumours' have started leaking intensely around the same time as Logan Lucky is coincidental certainly. They don't hurt him, and only help after the past two years (wanting more money, cutting wrists etc. etc.).

If he's back for B25, I'll be interested to see how he handles the press. I'm willing to bet it will be a far more 'muzzled' and behaved Craig. Like I said, he has to act after it's over and Hollywood is a touchy crowd.

Yes, as I said, Craig's team are top notch, CAA in LA and Independent in London, and they will coordinate very, very carefully to manage Craig's career. As for Craig being muzzled - I don't know, it seems to me, like Connery, he's his own man in that respect.
    Sorry, I missed your comments on his agents when typing my response. It's a frightening prospect to think he will be allowed to go off the reservation again for B25's promotion. Lots of $$ at stake and a possible IPO off the backs of it.

You could argue that his "slash my wrists" comment got far more media coverage over a long time (2 years and counting) than if he'd made a less controversial comment. God, we're still debating it now.
    I wouldn't just argue it. It's a fact. I don't know about you, but it's left a filthy taste in my mouth.

There's good publicity associated with your product, and bad publicity. Both can create 'awareness' and sticky 'resonance'. I really believe this is the latter. The villainous kind.

It was a throw away comment from an actor coming off an intense and long shoot who evidently felt wiped out, but probably thought he was being humorous. The media blew it up, that's all. Yeah, I'm sure some stuffy studio suits didn't like it, but ho hum, from my experience, empathy towards talent or filmmakers is not always high on their agenda.

This unconditional defending of Craig here is really quite ridiculous. The media blew it up? Sure they did. They do it with everybody and everything. That's how they earn their money. And now they do it again. When that article from the New York Times was reported in German newspaper there was hardly an article that hadn't the "you know the last time we heard of him he said he would rather slash his wrist then return" vibe. At the very least that comment of Craig was extremely unprofessional. That's all there is to it. Period.
    Thousands and thousands actors and even the stars have gone through productions that turned out to be a complete mess, but can anyone of you recall a statement like that from the main star about any production, let alone a hundredth auf millions expensive one?

Actors make inappropriate or off-the-cuff comments all the time, that's all it was. This is not unconditional defending of Craig, it's just trying to put that comment in perspective.

Would you care to give me any examples please? As I wrote I really don't recall anything like that from any major production from anyone that had gotten a 20 something million making it. OK, maybe Marlon Brando in it's a days but that's just about it.
    And say about Craig whatever you want, but he's not Brando league.

Sure, Robert Downey Jr utterly slagging off the director (a certain Stuart Baird) when interviewed for US Marshals - and that's just off the top of my head.
    After a break. Reading again through this, Solace - I do think, you desperately need to find your lost Solace. A man with no Solace left certainly is not a pleasure to be around. Arguing is one thing. Constantly nagging the hell out of everything annoying. Go find some peace, pal.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote: »
    After a break. Reading again through this, Solace - I do think, you desperately need to find your lost Solace. A man with no Solace left certainly is not a pleasure to be around. Arguing is one thing. Constantly nagging the hell out of everything annoying. Go find some peace, pal.

An irritant.
    WE should open special playgrounds for these people. Gives them aomething to do without bothering the rest.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,756

Just my 'opinion'.

It's quite simple really. Eon and Craig don't give a toss about PR.

After all it's us fans who owe them for the millions they've made. /sarcasm
    To be fair to noSolaceleft, he sure has a great understanding of actors - as we know, actors are so well behaved and never, ever deviate from the script or studio publicity demands.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Guys and gals, it is really necessary to target specific users?

Surely we can discuss a position without going there.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Guys and gals, it is really necessary to target specific users?

Surely we can discuss a position without going there.

It's not. Let's remain civil and not start targeting one another because we don't all have the same viewpoints. If the spats must continue, do so in a PM, please.
  • RC7RC7
    He is a cock, though.
    RC7 wrote: »
    He is a cock, though.

Shhh @RC7. Please use the nicer, biologically more accepted word: penis. Or fallus.
  • RC7RC7
    He is a cock, though.

Shhh @RC7. Please use the nicer, biologically more accepted word: penis. Or fallus.

Obviously, I'm sure he's not. But the sustained digging out of Craig at every possible opportunity is as tedious as watching a test match. It's a Bond forum - he's going to be defended. Get over it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I just logged on and saw 54 new coments on this thread since I last checked 3 hours ago so naturally I assumed a director and actor had been announced.

But no it's just still people banging on about an off the cuff comment by a bloke who had just finished a gruelling shoot that buggered his knee.

Thankully the internet wasn't around when Sean made his 'I'd like to kill that damned James Bond' comment during the filming of TB or the 'best Bond ever' would have been lynched on Twitter.

I really struggle to understand how some people cannot appreciate the difference between a throwaway remark and someone genuinely hating his job and the character.

If he really despised the role don't you think he would have issued an official statement saying he was done by now?
    He is a cock, though.

Not that you knew how a real one looks.
  • For those who've never read the original interview (conducted July 2015, published October 2015), it's here:

https://www.timeout.com/london/film/daniel-craig-interview-my-advice-to-the-next-james-bond-dont-be-shit

Interestingly, the "slash by wrists" comment isn't mentioned in the headline and it comes up pretty late in the interview. It was when other outlets summarized the interview that "slash by wrists" became prominent.

Also, FWIW, there was a follow up question and answer after the "slash by wrists" comment.

You want to move on from Bond for good?

‘I haven’t given it any thought. For at least a year or two, I just don’t want to think about it. I don’t know what the next step is. I’ve no idea. Not because I’m trying to be cagey. Who the fuck knows? At the moment, we’ve done it. I’m not in discussion with anybody about anything. If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.’

I just logged on and saw 54 new coments on this thread since I last checked 3 hours ago so naturally I assumed a director and actor had been announced.
    This was a mistake surely. After 924 pages one should have assumed the opposite.

But no it's just still people banging on about an off the cuff comment by a bloke who had just finished a gruelling shoot that buggered his knee.

Thankully the internet wasn't around when Sean made his 'I'd like to kill that damned James Bond' comment during the filming of TB or the 'best Bond ever' would have been lynched on Twitter.

I really struggle to understand how some people cannot appreciate the difference between a throwaway remark and someone genuinely hating his job and the character.

If he really despised the role don't you think he would have issued an official statement saying he was done by now?

Maybe even people like him, who apparently don't care for money at all, have a hard time to reject their last chance to cash in a cool 20 or 30 millions. Just saying. And you people can argue all day long, it was still highly unprofessional of him to say it.
    Also, you hardly can compare Craig's situation with Connery's. Connery hardly could move without having a crowd of girls in his hair at this time. We will never be able to imagine what kind of hype it was back then. And, probably quite important as well, Connery had the distinct feeling that he wasn't getting his fair share of the profit. I take it none of you thinks Craig has any reason to do so . I also take exception to the notion that I somehow hate Craig. It's just that I try to infuse some measure in all this fan hype of some of yours.
    Just speaking for myself, I don't have a problem with the comment although it was ill advised. Of course he was just having a laugh. It's his humour. I have a problem with the handling of the fallout.

Some seem to think it hasn't had an impact. If he's back I think you'll see it has, at least in the way the film is received, since that comment has taken on a life of its own and will always be incorporated into the media narrative.

The only way it won't is if B25 is a complete killer.
    I don't think there has been any attempt of "damage control" from Eon regarding Craig. They've simply got on with their job and worked to strike a deal with Craig. Craig's agents and managers, all top of their game, know what to say and when, and they won't release any information which might spoil the deal they hope to strike with Eon.

While EON may not care about his comments getting press coverage every other day for two years, I'm sure someone cares. He has to get other roles in the future once his Bond gig is done (whenever that may be). The fact that these 'rumours' have started leaking intensely around the same time as Logan Lucky is coincidental certainly. They don't hurt him, and only help after the past two years (wanting more money, cutting wrists etc. etc.).

If he's back for B25, I'll be interested to see how he handles the press. I'm willing to bet it will be a far more 'muzzled' and behaved Craig. Like I said, he has to act after it's over and Hollywood is a touchy crowd.

Yes, as I said, Craig's team are top notch, CAA in LA and Independent in London, and they will coordinate very, very carefully to manage Craig's career. As for Craig being muzzled - I don't know, it seems to me, like Connery, he's his own man in that respect.
    Sorry, I missed your comments on his agents when typing my response. It's a frightening prospect to think he will be allowed to go off the reservation again for B25's promotion. Lots of $$ at stake and a possible IPO off the backs of it.

You could argue that his "slash my wrists" comment got far more media coverage over a long time (2 years and counting) than if he'd made a less controversial comment. God, we're still debating it now.
    I wouldn't just argue it. It's a fact. I don't know about you, but it's left a filthy taste in my mouth.

There's good publicity associated with your product, and bad publicity. Both can create 'awareness' and sticky 'resonance'. I really believe this is the latter. The villainous kind.

It was a throw away comment from an actor coming off an intense and long shoot who evidently felt wiped out, but probably thought he was being humorous. The media blew it up, that's all. Yeah, I'm sure some stuffy studio suits didn't like it, but ho hum, from my experience, empathy towards talent or filmmakers is not always high on their agenda.

This unconditional defending of Craig here is really quite ridiculous. The media blew it up? Sure they did. They do it with everybody and everything. That's how they earn their money. And now they do it again. When that article from the New York Times was reported in German newspaper there was hardly an article that hadn't the "you know the last time we heard of him he said he would rather slash his wrist then return" vibe. At the very least that comment of Craig was extremely unprofessional. That's all there is to it. Period.
    Thousands and thousands actors and even the stars have gone through productions that turned out to be a complete mess, but can anyone of you recall a statement like that from the main star about any production, let alone a hundredth auf millions expensive one?

Actors make inappropriate or off-the-cuff comments all the time, that's all it was. This is not unconditional defending of Craig, it's just trying to put that comment in perspective.

Would you care to give me any examples please? As I wrote I really don't recall anything like that from any major production from anyone that had gotten a 20 something million making it. OK, maybe Marlon Brando in it's a days but that's just about it.

Sure, Robert Downey Jr utterly slagging off the director (a certain Stuart Baird) when interviewed for US Marshals - and that's just off the top of my head.

Wasn't that's the time when he didn't get his head out of cocaine bags and, coincidentally, wasn't he on the "Hollywood do not touch" list for quite a few years afterwards?
    Just speaking for myself, I don't have a problem with the comment although it was ill advised. Of course he was just having a laugh. It's his humour. I have a problem with the handling of the fallout.

Sorry, but I am really having a very hard time to believe that. Mostly because he also said that if he came back it would only because of the money. You can't tell me that this is humor. Also, he must have known what kind of impression he gave. After all, he wasn't born yesterday, was he?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

Sorry, but I am really having a very hard time to believe that. Mostly because he also said that if he came back it would only because of the money. You can't tell me that this is humor. Also, he must have known what kind of impression he gave. After all, he wasn't born yesterday, was he?
    I don't think he really thought about it with the benefit of hindsight.

He's an actor and not a PR man. From what I can tell he doesn't guard or mince his words. He speaks his mind and tells it like he feels it at the time. A genuine bloke.

At that particular time, he probably did feel that way, but it probably wasn't a well thought out or rational response with consideration to the implications. It was an 'in the moment' answer given during a period of exhaustion and frustration. Which is why he said he needed time away to think about it afterwards.

That's very different from the way the media narrative was handled. That's where things were botched imho.

Maybe even people like him, who apparently don't care for money at all, have a hard time to reject their last chance to cash in a cool 20 or 30 millions. Just saying. And you people can argue all day long, it was still highly unprofessional of him to say it.
    Also, you hardly can compare Craig's situation with Connery's. Connery hardly could move without having a crowd of girls in his hair at this time. We will never be able to imagine what kind of hype it was back then. And, probably quite important as well, Connery had the distinct feeling that he wasn't getting his fair share of the profit. I take it none of you thinks Craig has any reason to do so . I also take exception to the notion that I somehow hate Craig. It's just that I try to infuse some measure in all this fan hype of some of yours.

I repeat this gem for all to get a mouthfull of it - WE need YOU to get our facts straight, WE need YOU to not get into fan hype, to not become too positive or optimistic.
    Thank you, Sir. Thank you. Please tell us, how we can make up for all this wisedom of yours, shared and thrown at us for better use of our poor little brains.

...and no, I don't think, ignoring this sort of arrogance and negativity will lead to anything.
  • RC7RC7
    He is a cock, though.

Not that you knew how a real one looks.

Come on, you can do better than that. Even @Germanlady brings better retorts and she's German... and a woman.

So if everyone agrees it was unprofessional can we stop harping on about it? Because I literally have no idea what the end game is here? Do we all gather round and perform some sort of forum-based Jonestown; renouncing Craig before slitting our wrists in unison?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2017 Posts: 11,139

This is true. I just hope going forward Craig can have a full understanding of how callous and manipulative the media can be and be a bit more mindful of that fact. It's not his fault per se as he was speaking in the moment, like someone pissed at another and drops a throw away line like, "I'm gonna kill you" or "you're a dead man" but obviously the person saying it isn't a homicidal, premeditating murderer. If Craig needs to come off as too guarded in interviews then serves the media right. They unfairly spin anything just to cultivate a controversial narrative even though anyone with half a brain can read and see the context in which Craig spoke.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Megan Ellison: Can Hollywood's Millennial Mogul Make It as a Studio Head?
    hollywoodreporter.com/features/megan-ellison-can-hollywoods-millennial-mogul-make-as-a-studio-head-1025689

For those still hoping MGM goes with Annapurna, here is a very insightful look into the company from THR.
    ...excuse me, RC7 - just getting used to liking you and now this? I think, I can and did A LOT better then that.

Come on, you can do better than that. Even @Germanlady brings better retorts and she's German... and a woman.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I surely hope not!
    Germanlady wrote: »

I repeat this gem for all to get a mouthfull of it - WE need YOU to get our facts straight, WE need YOU to not get into fan hype, to not become too positive or optimistic.
    Thank you, Sir. Thank you. Please tell us, how we can make up for all this wisedom of yours, shared and thrown at us for better use of our poor little brains.

Just go and get yourself a man. I mean it.
    He is a cock, though.

Wasn't that's the time when he didn't get his head out of cocaine bags and, coincidentally, wasn't he on the "Hollywood do not touch" list for quite a few years afterwards?

Why do u think Stuart Baird returned to editing? Actors wouldn't work with him. Coke or not, Downey Jr spoke out. As did Connery when he trashed the director of TLOEG at the London premiere. Point I'm making is actors speak out. And break from the PR script.