No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I don't think there has been any attempt of "damage control" from Eon regarding Craig. They've simply got on with their job and worked to strike a deal with Craig. Craig's agents and managers, all top of their game, know what to say and when, and they won't release any information which might spoil the deal they hope to strike with Eon.
    @ColonelSun, Craig has agents too.

While EON may not care about his comments getting press coverage every other day for two years, I'm sure someone cares. He has to get other roles in the future once his Bond gig is done (whenever that may be). The fact that these 'rumours' have started leaking intensely around the same time as Logan Lucky is coincidental certainly. They don't hurt him, and only help after the past two years (wanting more money, cutting wrists etc. etc.).

If he's back for B25, I'll be interested to see how he handles the press. I'm willing to bet it will be a far more 'muzzled' and behaved Craig. Like I said, he has to act after it's over and Hollywood is a touchy crowd.

Yes, as I said, Craig's team are top notch, CAA in LA and Independent in London, and they will coordinate very, very carefully to manage Craig's career. As for Craig being muzzled - I don't know, it seems to me, like Connery, he's his own man in that respect.
    Sorry, I missed your comments on his agents when typing my response. It's a frightening prospect to think he will be allowed to go off the reservation again for B25's promotion. Lots of $$ at stake and a possible IPO off the backs of it.

You could argue that his "slash my wrists" comment got far more media coverage over a long time (2 years and counting) than if he'd made a less controversial comment. God, we're still debating it now.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't think there has been any attempt of "damage control" from Eon regarding Craig. They've simply got on with their job and worked to strike a deal with Craig. Craig's agents and managers, all top of their game, know what to say and when, and they won't release any information which might spoil the deal they hope to strike with Eon.

While EON may not care about his comments getting press coverage every other day for two years, I'm sure someone cares. He has to get other roles in the future once his Bond gig is done (whenever that may be). The fact that these 'rumours' have started leaking intensely around the same time as Logan Lucky is coincidental certainly. They don't hurt him, and only help after the past two years (wanting more money, cutting wrists etc. etc.).

If he's back for B25, I'll be interested to see how he handles the press. I'm willing to bet it will be a far more 'muzzled' and behaved Craig. Like I said, he has to act after it's over and Hollywood is a touchy crowd.

Yes, as I said, Craig's team are top notch, CAA in LA and Independent in London, and they will coordinate very, very carefully to manage Craig's career. As for Craig being muzzled - I don't know, it seems to me, like Connery, he's his own man in that respect.
    Sorry, I missed your comments on his agents when typing my response. It's a frightening prospect to think he will be allowed to go off the reservation again for B25's promotion. Lots of $$ at stake and a possible IPO off the backs of it.

You could argue that his "slash my wrists" comment got far more media coverage over a long time (2 years and counting) than if he'd made a less controversial comment. God, we're still debating it now.
    I wouldn't just argue it. It's a fact. I don't know about you, but it's left a filthy taste in my mouth.

There's good publicity associated with your product, and bad publicity. Both can create 'awareness' and sticky 'resonance'. I really believe this is the latter. The villainous kind.

I wouldn't just argue it. It's a fact. I don't know about you, but it's left a filthy taste in my mouth.

There's good publicity associated with your product, and bad publicity. Both can create 'awareness' and sticky 'resonance'. I really believe this is the latter. The villainous kind.

Why does it leave a 'filfthy taste in your mouth'?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Dennison wrote: »

For the same reason you asked in your last post that we stop referring to it. Having tragic suicide mentioned in the same breath as your favourite franchise in every article for over two years is not something I'm partial to.

After a while, repetition sinks in and becomes indelible. That's why marketers use repetition in their advertising. That's why PR men go out of their way to fix perceptions and misconceptions as they develop. They don't let it get out of hand but nip it in the bud or counter it with something just as 'note worthy'as soon as possible.

This kind of marketing is of the notorious variety. Like Jackson in his later years. Everybody knows you, but for the wrong reasons.

It can be corrected, but there's a long road to change perceptions once they sink in.

The Bond brand is secure mind you. Very secure. All the rumours of other actors have taken the heat away.

It was a throw away comment from an actor coming off an intense and long shoot who evidently felt wiped out, but probably thought he was being humorous. The media blew it up, that's all. Yeah, I'm sure some stuffy studio suits didn't like it, but ho hum, from my experience, empathy towards talent or filmmakers is not always high on their agenda.

For the same reason you asked in your last post that we stop referring to it. Having tragic suicide mentioned in the same breath as your favourite franchise in every article for over two years is not something I'm partial to.

After a while, repetition sinks in and becomes indelible. That's why marketers use repetition in their advertising. That's why PR men go out of their way to fix perceptions and misconceptions as they develop. They don't let it get out of hand but nip it in the bud or counter it with something just as 'note worthy'as soon as possible.

This kind of marketing is of the notorious variety. Like Jackson in his later years. Everybody knows you, but for the wrong reasons.

It can be corrected, but there's a long road to change perceptions once they sink in.

The Bond brand is secure mind you. Very secure. All the rumours of other actors have taken the heat away.

If you think this long, hard and serious about some off-the cuff comment that a person you don't even know personally made that you may need to consider what is actually important in life. Seriously, you care this much about a non-serious comment that Daniel Craig made nearly 2 years ago? Do you think about it every day?

It was a throw away comment from an actor coming off an intense and long shoot who evidently felt wiped out, but probably thought he was being humorous. The media blew it up, that's all. Yeah, I'm sure some stuffy studio suits didn't like it, but ho hum, from my experience, empathy towards talent or filmmakers is not always high on their agenda.
    I'm not judging him for making the comment @ColonelSun . I can appreciate why he said what he said. I'm more commenting on the implications of the remark playing nonstop and being associated with him & Bond for 2 long years (along with him being a man who wants more money). Sure it's made him perhaps more famous, but it's cemented his view of James Bond in the minds of the general public. I personally don't think that can ever be disassociated until B25 actually hits theatres and people see him in the role again.

I can also believe that some American studio heads will be wary of him.

I think there is a reason the Logan Lucky trailer says "Introducing" Daniel Craig.

If you think this long, hard and serious about some off-the cuff comment that a person you don't even know personally made that you may need to consider what is actually important in life. Seriously, you care this much about a non-serious comment that Daniel Craig made nearly 2 years ago? Do you think about it every day?
    Stop getting so emotional mate. This is a discussion forum. We're discussing. No need to take it so personally. I'm not 'hating' on Craig. See my comments above and try to be a bit dispassionate, to quote M.

I'm not judging him for making the comment @ColonelSun . I can appreciate why he said what he said. I'm more commenting on the implications of the remark playing nonstop and being associated with him & Bond for 2 long years (along with him being a man who wants more money). Sure it's made him perhaps more famous, but it's cemented his view of James Bond in the minds of the general public. I personally don't think that can ever be disassociated until B25 actually hits theatres and people see him in the role again.

I can also believe that some studio heads will be wary of him.

I think there is a reason the Logan Lucky trailer says "Introducing" Daniel Craig.

The Logan Lucky "introducing Daniel Craig" is very typical of Soderbergh's sense of humour, it has zero to do with "slash my wrists".

The Logan Lucky "introducing Daniel Craig" is very typical of Soderbergh's sense of humour, it has zero to do with "slash my wrists".
    Great. Well let's see how the film is received and what the comments are on Craig's performance.

He's not done a film since SP (or a non-Bond film since TGWTDT in 2011 for that matter), so this is his big 'breakout' and reintroduction in the minds of the public in a non-Bond capacity. I'll certainly be seeing it.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,031

Stop getting so emotional mate. This is a discussion forum. We're discussing. No need to take it so personally. I'm not 'hating' on Craig. See my comments above and try to be a bit dispassionate, to quote M.

I'm not getting emotional mate @bondjames ... just discussing ... what's your problem? Do you not want me to question what you post? If you're sensitive like that I can not comment on your posts and just comment on others, if that would be good for you? I'm not taking anything personally nor have I thought for one minute that you're 'hating' on Daniel Craig. I'm actually left a bit confused by your comments towards me to be honest ...

For the record I have often enjoyed your posts and often agree with you, so please don't get emotional yourself... just questioning a few of your comments nothing more...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690
    jake24 wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    What I fail to understand is how could production on Purity be delayed until 2019 if B25 itself isn't starting principle photography until late 2018? Has production on ths series been at a complete standstill?

The only thing that happened on Purity in the 13/14 months is Craig's announcement. No other actors or actresses have been confirmed, been in talks or rumoured for the other roles, so Purity wasn't happening anyway, at least not in the near future.

I'm not getting emotional mate ... just discussing ... what's your problem? Do you not want me to question what you post? If you're sensitive like that I can not comment on your posts and just comment on others, if that would be good for you? I'm not taking anything personally nor have I thought for one minute that you're 'hating' on Daniel Craig. I'm actually left a bit confused by your comments towards me to be honest ...
    Your last comments are referring to me personally. My comments are referring to Craig and Bond. That's the difference. You question my points and I can respond. You try to question why I'm thinking what I'm thinking and I find it difficult to respond and leads me to conclude that you're making it personal and getting emotional. Why get into how and what I'm thinking?

If you disagree, counter the point, like the Colonel has. I don't have a problem with that.
    jake24 wrote: »
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    What I fail to understand is how could production on Purity be delayed until 2019 if B25 itself isn't starting principle photography until late 2018? Has production on ths series been at a complete standstill?

The only thing that happened on Purity in the l13/14 months is Craig's announcement. No other actors or actresses have been confirmed, been in talks or rumoured for the other roles, so Purity wasn't happening anyway, at least not in the near future.

Thank you, that is so true.

Great. Well let's see how the film is received and what the comments are on Craig's performance.

He's not done a film since SP (or a non-Bond film since TGWTDT in 2011 for that matter), so this is his big 'breakout' and reintroduction in the minds of the public in a non-Bond capacity. I'll certainly be seeing it.

Yes, Craig looks like he relishes the part in Logan Lucky. I never miss a Soderbergh film. Even his lesser stuff like Ocean's 12 and 13 are very smartly made and full of invention.

This unconditional defending of Craig here is really quite ridiculous. The media blew it up? Sure they did. They do it with everybody and everything. That's how they earn their money. And now they do it again. When that article from the New York Times was reported in German newspaper there was hardly an article that hadn't the "you know the last time we heard of him he said he would rather slash his wrist then return" vibe. At the very least that comment of Craig was extremely unprofessional. That's all there is to it. Period.
    Thousands and thousands actors and even the stars have gone through productions that turned out to be a complete mess, but can anyone of you recall a statement like that from the main star about any production, let alone a hundredth auf millions expensive one?
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,031

I'm not getting emotional mate ... just discussing ... what's your problem? Do you not want me to question what you post? If you're sensitive like that I can not comment on your posts and just comment on others, if that would be good for you? I'm not taking anything personally nor have I thought for one minute that you're 'hating' on Daniel Craig. I'm actually left a bit confused by your comments towards me to be honest ...
    Your last comments are referring to me personally. My comments are referring to Craig and Bond. That's the difference. You question my points and I can respond. You try to question why I'm thinking what I'm thinking and I find it difficult to respond and leads me to conclude that you're making it personal and getting emotional. Why get into how and what I'm thinking?

If you disagree, counter the point, like the Colonel has. I don't have a problem with that.

Never got personal mate ... chill out a little, you're getting too emotional. My comments were only ever to do with Mr Craig's comments to a journalist, unless you were the journalist in question or Daniel Craig himself, then I made no personal comment.

Either way, I don't really care that much. I'm more into football than movies.

Never got personal mate ... chill out a little, you're getting too emotional.
    That's more like it. Now you're talking my language. Welcome to the party.

You know, I'm usually very cautious to use the term but YOU smell very trolly to me!

You know, I'm usually very cautious to use the term but YOU smell very trolly to me!

Read through my previous comments and you'll see that I am genuine. Move on, this is about Bond 25...

We friends? Honestly I never intended to get personal, and I am sorry if it came across that way. As I've said, I always enjoy your posts and am often in agreement with you.

We friends? Honestly I never intended to get personal, and I am sorry if it came across that way. As I've said, I always enjoy your posts and am often in agreement with you.
    Of course we're friends. I never take anything personally here. I like my opinions (which is all I have really) being questioned. It helps me to clarify and refine my thinking. I'm often proven wrong here, and it helps me to widen my perspective. There is a wealth of knowledge on this site.

Sorry for the perceived spat. No offense intended and I'll lay off the Craig speculation as soon as we get the announcement either way.

This unconditional defending of Craig here is really quite ridiculous. The media blew it up? Sure they did. They do it with everybody and everything. That's how they earn their money. And now they do it again. When that article from the New York Times was reported in German newspaper there was hardly an article that hadn't the "you know the last time we heard of him he said he would rather slash his wrist then return" vibe. At the very least that comment of Craig was extremely unprofessional. That's all there is to it. Period.
    Thousands and thousands actors and even the stars have gone through productions that turned out to be a complete mess, but can anyone of you recall a statement like that from the main star about any production, let alone a hundredth auf millions expensive one?

Actors make inappropriate or off-the-cuff comments all the time, that's all it was. This is not unconditional defending of Craig, it's just trying to put that comment in perspective.

Actors make inappropriate or off-the-cuff comments all the time, that's all it was. This is not unconditional defending of Craig, it's just trying to put that comment in perspective.

Agree with you wholeheartedly - wish I could have put it so succinctly.
    I personally don't have a problem with the comment. He's an actor and he's entitled to his feelings. It was a tough shoot for him.

I do have a problem with his and EON's (because it involved Bond) PR Dept and think they should have shut that down or countered it much earlier with something just as 'controversial'. The comment he made about 'having the best job in the world' or something like that wasn't good enough from a counter-narrative perspective and that was many months later anyway.

They are playing in the big leagues now (thanks to the two Mendes films) and I think they need to have a more coordinated response team.

Just my 'opinion'.
  • RC7RC7

This unconditional defending of Craig here is really quite ridiculous.

This unconditional slating of Craig here is really quite ridiculous.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,661
    "He's doing Bond first and I can't say anything about what I know or don't know about Bond, [but] It's possible it may not shoot until 2019," Showtime CEO David Nevins told reporters this week at the Television Critics Association's summer press tour. That means Purity may not air on Showtime until 2018 or possibly 2019.

If this guy is correct with his information it means Craig is returning:

"He's doing Bond first."

Hmm.. looks like Daniel Craig will be back.

RC7 wrote: »

And I don't get it. Ever since SP premiered already two years ago, it seems like a living hell for Bond fans...like a box of pandora being opened by everyone at EON. Sjee, just be a bit more positive ok dear fanboys?
    RC7 wrote: »

And I don't get it. Ever since SP premiered already two years ago, it seems like a living hell for Bond fans...like a box of pandora being opened by everyone at EON.
    I agree with you, but I get it.

Would you care to give me any examples please? As I wrote I really don't recall anything like that from any major production from anyone that had gotten a 20 something million making it. OK, maybe Marlon Brando in it's a days but that's just about it.
    And say about Craig whatever you want, but he's not Brando league.
    A living hell for Bond fans? And there I was enjoying a Bondathon - have I missed something? Is the series ending?