No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Logan Lucky Red Carpet is tonight. Perhaps Craig will make an appearance?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I thought someone mentioned he wasn't doing promotion for this?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,756
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Logan Lucky Red Carpet is tonight. Perhaps Craig will make an appearance?

Rumour has it Craig will be hiding until the movie starts, and will leave before the lights turn back on.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Still hoping Villeneuve gets the gig. What a movie that would be. Of course, I'd need the duo of him and a returning Deakins, as usual.
    Does anyone think the concept of a 'standalone mission' is dying a slow death?

I'm pretty sure Mission Impossible still does it to a large extent, happy to be corrected.

It's sad, as I love the traditional Bond formula. 'Re-setting' the world for each film is something the DC era clearly needs, but I doubt it'll happen.

I'm not even sure the next era will adopt the old template. I think the audience you need to reach the magic billion dollar mark is one that favours 'episodic' content.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Still hoping Villeneuve gets the gig. What a movie that would be. Of course, I'd need the duo of him and a returning Deakins, as usual.

Villeneuve would be perfect.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    GetCarter wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Mission Impossible still does it to a large extent, happy to be corrected.

It's sad, as I love the traditional Bond formula. 'Re-setting' the world for each film is something the DC era clearly needs, but I doubt it'll happen.

I'm not even sure the next era will adopt the old template. I think the audience you need to reach the magic billion dollar mark is one that favours 'episodic' content.

The concept of "fun" is dying too. Everything has to be so serious and emotional these days. What was wrong with some shallow entertainment?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883

The last two MI films have been great fun (they've stepped into the void) and have 'loose' continuity like the old Bond films. However, they will adopt direct continuity with MI6 (it's a direct sequel), and may potentially lose some of the light touch (based on what I've read), which is very unfortunate from my perspective.

I don't think thick continuity is necessarily required or demanded by audiences, but perhaps loose continuity is nowadays based on what everyone else is doing (I certainly don't need it).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    With respect, there's still plenty of fun to be had. It's not all so dire and emotional, and I enjoy the films fine on their own, plus connections and all.
    If a viewer is predisposed to be sensitive to an occurrence of those things, that's a recipe for disliking the next film from the first teaser trailer. Present company excepted, I've heard complaints about homages/call-backs to the previous films. To me that's a dismissal of fun and a denial of reality--Bond films can't play a conscious elimination game of material on the one hand, and on the other shouldn't absolutely avoid opportunities to honor the past. Or they do it at their own peril. Clichés in Bond films? Well, yeah.
    After Craig, I do expect the films to be less serious and drama-driven. In the meantime, the filmmakers are using this opportunity to do other than that. Future shallow--but still quality of course--content will play fine with me.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't think this is about perpetuating an agenda. From what we understand, Craig is back and possibly for two based on recent reports so it's moot.

This is about the wrist cutter story still being mentioned with nearly every article about him and Bond. It's even there today in the Purity articles that are doing the rounds.

I don't think anyone cares what we think. We're not important. It's the fact that the linkage is still there with nearly every mention of him and the film that should be troubling. That's what won't change because they allowed that story to take on a life of its own when a decent PR team would have firmly nipped it in the bud 2 years ago.

Excellent take all the way around. The entertainment media bashed DC, then loved him for nine years, and now wants to take him down. Why? I guess because they can -- or think they can. They all like to get out their torches and pitchforks. Ask Tom Cruise, who took it on the chin for a long time because of a couch-jumping incident and a mindless dig at Brooke Shields (for which he apologized). Other than that, TC has always been kind and professional.

Same thing here. Nobody has ever had a bad word to say about DC's professionalism. He makes one dumb and misunderstood comment during an interview (one the interviewer didn't even think was worth discussing further) and now he's public enemy #1.

Good lord.

The last two MI films have been great fun (they've stepped into the void) and have 'loose' continuity like the old Bond films. However, they will adopt direct continuity with MI6 (it's a direct sequel), and may potentially lose some of the light touch (based on what I've read), which is very unfortunate from my perspective.

I don't think thick continuity is necessarily required or demanded by audiences, but perhaps loose continuity is nowadays based on what everyone else is doing (I certainly don't need it).

Thanks for that bondjames, good to know.

I agree, at least a loose continuity seems to be the order of the day. In fact, I think the "resets" of the past might jolt younger audiences used to a certain narrative flow.
    I don't believe that Craig is perceived as "public enemy No 1" in the slightest, @TripAces. He's still incredibly loved and popular by the majority of the cinema-going public. That said, Craig has never looked particularly comfortable in any of the interviews that I've seen him in, and he does tend to have a habit of dropping the F-bomb quite a lot. As I've pointed out in older posts here, I did get to spend some time in his company long before he became Bond, and he does enjoy a lot of cussing and cursing when he talks. He literally turns the air blue. As @ColonelSun mentioned in one of his previous posts, he's his own man, and you certainly get a sense of that when he talks with you. He can be extremely direct and blunt. You should've heard what he had to say about Bill Clinton at the time. The Craig that I met on that particular Saturday afternoon, early Noughties, wasn't the same big Hollywood star that he is now, so I honestly couldn't tell you if he was joking or being serious about the "wrist slashing" as he does have a rather brusque sense of humor. Though he did come across to me as someone that doesn't necessarily tends to give a toss of whether he offends you or not. I found him very blokeish, which most definitely translates to the screen.

You can say what you like about him here as I honestly don't think a few Bond nerds remarks will make the slightest bit of difference to him. That's the beauty of these forums, it's a place where we come to bitch and gripe about all things Bond. I think the lack of official news is the real reason why some of us here are feeling a bit wobbly of late, and nothing at all to do with Craig.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    RC7 wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    I don't think there has been any attempt of "damage control" from Eon regarding Craig. They've simply got on with their job and worked to strike a deal with Craig. Craig's agents and managers, all top of their game, know what to say and when, and they won't release any information which might spoil the deal they hope to strike with Eon.
    @ColonelSun, Craig has agents too.

While EON may not care about his comments getting press coverage every other day for two years, I'm sure someone cares. He has to get other roles in the future once his Bond gig is done (whenever that may be). The fact that these 'rumours' have started leaking intensely around the same time as Logan Lucky is coincidental certainly. They don't hurt him, and only help after the past two years (wanting more money, cutting wrists etc. etc.).

If he's back for B25, I'll be interested to see how he handles the press. I'm willing to bet it will be a far more 'muzzled' and behaved Craig. Like I said, he has to act after it's over and Hollywood is a touchy crowd.

Yes, as I said, Craig's team are top notch, CAA in LA and Independent in London, and they will coordinate very, very carefully to manage Craig's career. As for Craig being muzzled - I don't know, it seems to me, like Connery, he's his own man in that respect.
    Sorry, I missed your comments on his agents when typing my response. It's a frightening prospect to think he will be allowed to go off the reservation again for B25's promotion. Lots of $$ at stake and a possible IPO off the backs of it.

You could argue that his "slash my wrists" comment got far more media coverage over a long time (2 years and counting) than if he'd made a less controversial comment. God, we're still debating it now.
    I wouldn't just argue it. It's a fact. I don't know about you, but it's left a filthy taste in my mouth.

There's good publicity associated with your product, and bad publicity. Both can create 'awareness' and sticky 'resonance'. I really believe this is the latter. The villainous kind.

It was a throw away comment from an actor coming off an intense and long shoot who evidently felt wiped out, but probably thought he was being humorous. The media blew it up, that's all. Yeah, I'm sure some stuffy studio suits didn't like it, but ho hum, from my experience, empathy towards talent or filmmakers is not always high on their agenda.

This unconditional defending of Craig here is really quite ridiculous.

This unconditional slating of Craig here is really quite ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more, it reminds me of why I took a sabatical from here for such a long time. It just goes round, and round, and round...
    I just logged on and saw 54 new coments on this thread since I last checked 3 hours ago so naturally I assumed a director and actor had been announced.

But no it's just still people banging on about an off the cuff comment by a bloke who had just finished a gruelling shoot that buggered his knee.

Thankully the internet wasn't around when Sean made his 'I'd like to kill that damned James Bond' comment during the filming of TB or the 'best Bond ever' would have been lynched on Twitter.

I really struggle to understand how some people cannot appreciate the difference between a throwaway remark and someone genuinely hating his job and the character.

If he really despised the role don't you think he would have issued an official statement saying he was done by now?

My sentiments exactly.
    JET007 wrote: »
    I don't think there has been any attempt of "damage control" from Eon regarding Craig. They've simply got on with their job and worked to strike a deal with Craig. Craig's agents and managers, all top of their game, know what to say and when, and they won't release any information which might spoil the deal they hope to strike with Eon.
    @ColonelSun, Craig has agents too.

While EON may not care about his comments getting press coverage every other day for two years, I'm sure someone cares. He has to get other roles in the future once his Bond gig is done (whenever that may be). The fact that these 'rumours' have started leaking intensely around the same time as Logan Lucky is coincidental certainly. They don't hurt him, and only help after the past two years (wanting more money, cutting wrists etc. etc.).

If he's back for B25, I'll be interested to see how he handles the press. I'm willing to bet it will be a far more 'muzzled' and behaved Craig. Like I said, he has to act after it's over and Hollywood is a touchy crowd.

Yes, as I said, Craig's team are top notch, CAA in LA and Independent in London, and they will coordinate very, very carefully to manage Craig's career. As for Craig being muzzled - I don't know, it seems to me, like Connery, he's his own man in that respect.
    Sorry, I missed your comments on his agents when typing my response. It's a frightening prospect to think he will be allowed to go off the reservation again for B25's promotion. Lots of $$ at stake and a possible IPO off the backs of it.

You could argue that his "slash my wrists" comment got far more media coverage over a long time (2 years and counting) than if he'd made a less controversial comment. God, we're still debating it now.
    I wouldn't just argue it. It's a fact. I don't know about you, but it's left a filthy taste in my mouth.

There's good publicity associated with your product, and bad publicity. Both can create 'awareness' and sticky 'resonance'. I really believe this is the latter. The villainous kind.

It was a throw away comment from an actor coming off an intense and long shoot who evidently felt wiped out, but probably thought he was being humorous. The media blew it up, that's all. Yeah, I'm sure some stuffy studio suits didn't like it, but ho hum, from my experience, empathy towards talent or filmmakers is not always high on their agenda.
    I'm not judging him for making the comment @ColonelSun . I can appreciate why he said what he said. I'm more commenting on the implications of the remark playing nonstop and being associated with him & Bond for 2 long years (along with him being a man who wants more money). Sure it's made him perhaps more famous, but it's cemented his view of James Bond in the minds of the general public. I personally don't think that can ever be disassociated until B25 actually hits theatres and people see him in the role again.

I can also believe that some studio heads will be wary of him.

I think there is a reason the Logan Lucky trailer says "Introducing" Daniel Craig.

The Logan Lucky "introducing Daniel Craig" is very typical of Soderbergh's sense of humour, it has zero to do with "slash my wrists".

Seconded. I took it as Soderbergh winking at the audience, like introducing Julia Roberts in Ocean's 11 and then introducing Tess Ocean as Julia Roberts in Ocean's 12. Not only did I see it as being self-referential, but that he's introducing Craig in a way most audiences don't think of him.

That's exactly what I was going to comment, I'm glad I read a few more comments before hitting the Post button.

The concept of "fun" is dying too. Everything has to be so serious and emotional these days. What was wrong with some shallow entertainment?

Did you not see Spectre?
    Spectre was shallow, but not entertainment.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I found Spectre hugely entertaining, but as with everything results may vary /:)
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited August 2017 Posts: 7,526
    Sandy wrote: »
    I found Spectre hugely entertaining, but as with everything results may vary /:)

I agree. For me, even with some unforgivable plot misses, and very cringey scenes with the whitehall brigade ("I think you have a secret...", "I owe you an apology, you are on to something", etc...), the movie really moves, and there is a lot to love. I've never wanted to write my own version of a Bond film more than with Spectre.
    @bondsum, it was amusing to read about your encounter with Craig, but not surprising based on what I've read. He's a character, that's for sure.

I don't think @TripAces was commenting negatively on Craig's persona or how he is perceived by the public though. From what I know he's a huge proponent of Craig's. Neither was I (although I'm indifferent to him, and wouldn't mind if he moves on after 10+ years). We both independently saw him on stage in Betrayal in NYC, so we're big enough fans.

The social media reaction to Logan Lucky's trailer suggests he has a lot of fans among the public, as he should.

Rather, we are both commenting on the media narrative which has been allowed to build over the past two years (at least in terms of him and Bond) and which has taken on a life of its own. He has inadvertently fallen into that unfortunately with his crass remarks over the years. They still have the knives out for him, and my point in particular is that this is possibly going to taint B25 marketing (on the margin), just as it did SP's (inevitably some box office was shaved off on account of some of the negative press and moreover some of the public were put off by some of the remarks which got a lot of 'play' - I know specific people who were, and I didn't like it myself). I don't think they're done with him yet. Some of this may be due to SF's huge success which took a lot of the media by surprise. They tend not to like things which they can't control. The attention to Bond is only going to grow over the next few years, now that the release date has been announced.

There's a lot of conflation of this specific discussion with love for Craig on this thread. Understandable given it's a Bond forum, but that's missing the point.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited August 2017 Posts: 2,730
    Is it just me or is the dialogue in spectre bad or at least noticably worse then the other craig films
    Is it just me or is the dialogue in spectre bad or at least noticably worse then the other craig films
    I can assure you that it's not just you.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Nope it's not you. The dialogue really is highly questionable amongst many other things.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @JamesBondKenya
    Examples?
    I think most Bond films have lines here and there that are a bit 'off', sometimes nevertheless saved by a good delivery. If you're referring to some of Blofeld's lines, well, I might not disagree with you. But then most times when a film tries to raise symbolism or metaphors, it comes off as a failed attempt at artistic self-indulgence IMO. All that stuff about the meteor and how James ruined Blofie's youth and whatnot, didn't sit well with me. The lines and the delivery both.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2017 Posts: 4,043
    It's easily the worst of the Craig era.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,115
    re: slash my wrists comment in 2015 interview.

//one the interviewer didn't even think was worth discussing further)//

Well, the interview did ask one follow up question (to try to establish some context). But yes, the original outlet did not play up "slash my wrists." That really did take on a life of its own.

What I'm curious about: Was there a PR person watching the interview and taking notes? That's standard operating procedure for executive interviews (sometimes more than one PR person is there).

The reason I ask: Craig did more than one interview (I think Rolling Stone also did one) where the interview took place in July but wasn't published until October. If a PR representative was present, Eon, MGM and Sony all should have had a summary and been ready in case they needed to respond once the interviews were published.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    bondsum wrote: »
    You can say what you like about him here as I honestly don't think a few Bond nerds remarks will make the slightest bit of difference to him. That's the beauty of these forums, it's a place where we come to bitch and gripe about all things Bond. I think the lack of official news is the real reason why some of us here are feeling a bit wobbly of late, and nothing at all to do with Craig.

Well, hopefully not just that! ;)
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,115
    Phil Nobile Jr. writes about Bond for Birth. Movies. Death. His latest:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/09/bond-talk-after-dark-lawsuits-tabloids-and-clowns

Tidbit from one of his items. Totally presented here for entertainment value only.

//On the completely unverfiable, I am not saying this is true, you-didn't-get-it-from-me front: that source I mentioned a while back, who I believe is part of the Bond production machine, is out there saying Daniel Craig was partially lured back for Bond 25 by the prospect of an actor initialed "TH" (apparently not the one we all had heard) replacing him. This other fella initialed TH was apparently ready to go, and the idea of being replaced by this gentleman was enough to spur Craig to action. Anyone buy that? This source is also saying Craig has agreed to back-to-back Bond films, when he'd previously mentioned hearing that Eon was going to sell off the franchise after Bond 25, so who knows which way is up at this point. I will say I'd believe this guy more than any tabloid. Sooo...anyone got any weird on-set gossip from Layer Cake...? ///

Of course, we heard about two THs: Toms Hiddleston and Hardy. Not sure if this is a third TH he's talking about.
    Phil Nobile Jr. writes about Bond for Birth. Movies. Death. His latest:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/08/09/bond-talk-after-dark-lawsuits-tabloids-and-clowns

Tidbit from one of his items. Totally presented here for entertainment value only.

//On the completely unverfiable, I am not saying this is true, you-didn't-get-it-from-me front: that source I mentioned a while back, who I believe is part of the Bond production machine, is out there saying Daniel Craig was partially lured back for Bond 25 by the prospect of an actor initialed "TH" (apparently not the one we all had heard) replacing him. This other fella initialed TH was apparently ready to go, and the idea of being replaced by this gentleman was enough to spur Craig to action. Anyone buy that? This source is also saying Craig has agreed to back-to-back Bond films, when he'd previously mentioned hearing that Eon was going to sell off the franchise after Bond 25, so who knows which way is up at this point. I will say I'd believe this guy more than any tabloid. Sooo...anyone got any weird on-set gossip from Layer Cake...? ///

Of course, we heard about two THs: Toms Hiddleston and Hardy. Not sure if this is a third TH he's talking about.
    I don't buy it. This is similar to the article doing the rounds presently saying that Craig is back because Mendes is gone (and some alleged dispute between them). It's all B/S trying to draw linkages on separate stories where there isn't any imho. Speculation and conjecture, like what we do here.

I don't think Hiddleston was even in the frame. Didn't Babs allegedly write him off last year as being wimpy or something (not sure if that was on account of "I love TS")? Frederick Forsythe also said that Babs wasn't going to cast him last year.

Hardy is Nolan's boy. He will only have a shot if the maestro gets Bond, and that's not happening this time around at least.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I really don't want either TH as Bond, so I'm grateful things didn't go in that direction. At least not yet anyway.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Pure speculation, pure b/s.
  • //Didn't Babs allegedly write him off last year as being wimpy or something//

That was via Page Six, the New York Post gossip operation.

http://pagesix.com/2017/04/03/daniel-craig-ready-for-more-007-after-slash-my-wrist-diss/

First paragraph:
    After saying he’d rather “slash my wrists” than do a final Bond movie, sources say Daniel Craig is ready to sign on to return as 007 after Bond bosses decided Tom Hiddleston is “too smug and not tough enough” for the role.