No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    bondjames wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Daniel Craig will be a guest on 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert' on Tuesday, 15 August, 2017 at 11:35/10:35c on CBS.
    How is he going to avoid the question now? 5 days to confirmation most likely.

Showtime is a subsidiary of CBS. Was that comment about 'Purity' at the TCA's, not so accidental after all?
    Hmm. The plot thickens. I look forward to seeing if DC will discuss Bond or obfuscate, given director and distributor have not yet been announced.

This thread will go into meltdown if Craig avoids confirming anything about his involvement in B25, and we'll have to wait a few more weeks/months before knowing for sure (since filming for B25 is still over a year away).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Daniel Craig will be a guest on 'The Late Show with Stephen Colbert' on Tuesday, 15 August, 2017 at 11:35/10:35c on CBS.

Showtime is a subsidiary of CBS. Was that comment about 'Purity' at the TCA's, not so accidental after all?
    Hmm. The plot thickens. I look forward to seeing if DC will discuss Bond or obfuscate, given director and distributor have not yet been announced.

This thread will go into meltdown if Craig avoids confirming anything about his involvement in B25, and we'll have to wait a few more weeks/months before knowing for sure (since filming for B25 is still over a year away).
    The more I think about it I don't think he will confirm yet. How he gets out of it will be interesting to see.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    Getafix wrote: »
    On one level I agree the writing was far from polished in SP. On another level I'd ask have you been watching the Bond films for the past 25 years? Because the writing has generally been abysmal ever since Maibaum stopped working on Bond.

So yes SP is not perfect. But also get over it.

Likely, and predictably, the criticism of Spectre will soften once it's no longer the most recently released Bond film.

Could not agree more, I guess we will all await with bated breath for next week now? No doubt it will be interesting to see this thread the following day!

I could very well imagine, that not being asked about it is a precondition for him coming to the show.
    On one level I agree the writing was far from polished in SP. On another level I'd ask have you been watching the Bond films for the past 25 years? Because the writing has generally been abysmal ever since Maibaum stopped working on Bond.

I really don't think you can compare the last two Bond movies with any of their predecessors
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,588

I could very well imagine, that not being asked about it is a precondition for him coming to the show.
    Quite. Time will tell, but I doubt we'll be getting anything out of it.
    Minion wrote: »

Likely, and predictably, the criticism of Spectre will soften once it's no longer the most recently released Bond film.

Probably true.

In reality the public and critical response to SP was warm to tepid. It's a middle ranking entry. Not spectacularly good but also not the turkey some on here claim it is.

• What I don't get is why if he is back, they wouldn't just say so? I'm thinking that he'll be back at this point too, I just wish they'd come out and say it. If he signed a deal ages ago then why not just announce it at the same time as they announced production, Purvis and Wade and all that? What do they have to gain from being so evasive?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    To build interest and suspense.
    Unlimited free publicity and click bait as the 'will he, won't he?' speculation rolls on endlessly.

It's genius in a way. Bond is never out of the headlines and it costs EON zilch.

edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    What I don't get is why if he is back, they wouldn't just say so? I'm thinking that he'll be back at this point too, I just wish they'd come out and say it. If he signed a deal ages ago then why not just announce it at the same time as they announced production, Purvis and Wade and all that? What do they have to gain from being so evasive?
    Two logical reasons for the delay that I can see.

One is that they are waiting to make a big announcement with the distributor in tow (in order to indicate that the distributor was a part of the decision even if they weren't).

Two is that it's not finalized yet, even if it's leaning in the direction of his return.

I don't buy the free publicity angle. When they have something to announce, they will.

The more I think about it I don't think he will confirm yet. How he gets out of it will be interesting to see.

I agree. I think he'll say something along the lines of: "There haven't been any discussions because we're all a little tired."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Or, EON are waiting for us to reach the thread's 1,000th page. ;) We're too close to the milestone.
  • Murdock wrote: »

Well for me it isn't working. I was interested two years ago. Now I'm just sick of the rumours and speculation to be honest. And it isn't exactly doing them any favours publicity wise either, because now we'll get people being disappointed if x actor or y actor doesn't turn out to be Bond. If it's a new actor then by all means shroud it in secrecy, hype it up. If it's Craig then just say so because two years followed by "he is back after all" is just anti climatic imo.

Plus we all know it was a piss take but his wrist slashing comments are still being bought up and I feel that they will be until we get confirmation either way. I've had a few people who know I'm a big Bond fan ask me about it and they seem down on Craig. My wife has told me she's gone off him because he seems ungrateful (first the wrist slashing thing then the widely reported turned down 150 million rumour) and I know others who've expressed similar feelings. It isn't his fault at all because we all know it was taken out of context. But coming out and saying he's still Bond and is happy to carry on would do a lot to put the negative publicity to bed.

@bondjames I'm assuming it's finalized or at least that he's made a concrete decision. It'd be a piss take at this point if he still hadn't actually decided imo. If its due to sorting out contracts and whatever fair enough but if he still hasn't actually made a decision after two years (unlikely given they've announced it but they announced CR without having an actor cast and with Brosnan still in the frame so not impossible) then give him the boot. Lots of other actors would kill for that opportunity. He gets paid millions to do a few months work, he's had more than enough of a rest now imo. Either he wants to be Bond or he doesn't.

I realise I'm being very negative and cynical but that's just because with nothing to go on, I don't actually know if he's made up his mind or not. If he is back then they could shut me up by saying so.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I don't disagree with you @thelivingroyale. My views are quite similar on this whole thing and I mentioned in a post here earlier this morning that the comments you've heard are similar to what I've been hearing.

I don't think it's up to him when to announce. That is dependent on the distributor, EON and MGM. So I suppose he is just playing along until they finalize everything (whether it be contracts, decisions about him or whatever. Maybe he's waiting on the director and the level of creative control before confirming, even if he's strongly leaning on coming back). It's a corporate game now.

One thing though : if he was definitely out he wouldn't be so quiet about it. His silence suggests he's definitely in the frame and is following instructions.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Minion wrote: »

I hope it does.

GetCarter wrote: »
    Does anyone think the concept of a 'standalone mission' is dying a slow death?
    I really, really hope it doesn't.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Not quite. CR, QOS, TND, and Goldneye are examples of a plot that makes sense with minimal holes. And the right answer is to not just accept they will be shit.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I don't disagree with you @thelivingroyale. My views are quite similar on this whole thing and I mentioned in a post here earlier this morning that the comments you've heard are similar to what I've been hearing.

I don't think it's up to him when to announce. That is dependent on the distributor, EON and MGM. So I suppose he is just playing along until they finalize everything (whether it be contracts, decisions about him or whatever. Maybe he's waiting on the director and the level of creative control before confirming, even if he's strongly leaning on coming back). It's a corporate game now.

One thing though : if he was definitely out he wouldn't be so quiet about it. His silence suggests he's definitely in the frame and is following instructions.

Yeah I don't blame him for the lack of an announcement, that's on EON/MGM/whoever. And that's a good point, if he was out then at this point, with production being announced, surely he'd want it to be known he was available so that his agent could get him more work if he wanted? I think you're right and that if he wasn't returning we wouldn't be getting silence on his end. I just wish they'd get it over with and announce it already so I can accept his return and try to muster up some enthusiasm for it because to be honest (and I think we're in agreement on this too because we've both said as much before) him coming back for another really isn't that exciting for me.

I just hope the two picture deal rumour isn't true. One more I can just about get behind. Even if they go the sequel route it'll be nice to see the garden of death and all that on the big screen (I'm assuming if they do go that route that at least be smart enough to finally do YOLT justice). But if he does another two? At the rate they make them now we could be looking at another ten years before a proper fresh start (Bond 25 in 2019, Bond 26 in 2022 or 2023, Bond 27 and a new actor in 2026 or 2027?). That'd be over 20 years since CR. Really hope that isn't the case.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    So P&W are also the writers for Johnny English 3, which is set to release in 2018. While I'm excited to see another Johnny English movie, I'm concerned about what splitting their attention like this could do to B25.

Yeah I don't blame him for the lack of an announcement, that's on EON/MGM/whoever. And that's a good point, if he was out then at this point, with production being announced, surely he'd want it to be known he was available so that his agent could get him more work if he wanted? I think you're right and that if he wasn't returning we wouldn't be getting silence on his end. I just wish they'd get it over with and announce it already so I can accept his return and try to muster up some enthusiasm for it because to be honest (and I think we're in agreement on this too because we've both said as much before) him coming back for another really isn't that exciting for me.

I just hope the two picture deal rumour isn't true. One more I can just about get behind. Even if they go the sequel route it'll be nice to see the garden of death and all that on the big screen (I'm assuming if they do go that route that at least be smart enough to finally do YOLT justice). But if he does another two? At the rate they make them now we could be looking at another ten years before a proper fresh start (Bond 25 in 2019, Bond 26 in 2022 or 2023, Bond 27 and a new actor in 2026 or 2027?). That'd be over 20 years since CR. Really hope that isn't the case.
    Yes, we feel the same way about his return. Unenthusiastic, but with grudging acceptance given our love for the franchise.

I honestly can't see him signing up for two without knowing who the director is in advance. That's not how Craig rolls. It doesn't pass the smell test.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    How can Colbert not ask Bond if he's Bond. I'd wager it's one of the first questions asked.

I wouldn't be surprised if DC gave a well rehearsed smirk and "an announcement is coming shortly"... They will have a cute little back n forth that will insinuate he will be back, then it'll move on to LOGAN LUCKY chat.
    I respectfully disagree that SP will "seem" better once B25 has dropped.

If anything, think it'll sink in people's lists.

I don't think the Mendes double has much replay value, but at least SF had some inspired elements. Great locations, excellent title tune, DC in top form.

SP is flat in almost every way. It isn't cohesive, it contains the worst third act in the canon, DC's performance is indifferent.

Even the much heralded Mexico opener amounts to little more than a dipping helicopter over a crowded plaza.

It lacks the personality of SF's PTS, which I think is the best of the DC era.

I could very well be wrong, but I think SP will settle as something of a nadir for Craig, despite the solid box office.

As a fan, I hope he returns to set things right in B25.

Beyond that, there is a real dearth of solid candidates to take over.

Like him or not, Tom Hardy seems like one of the few who could pull it off.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited August 2017 Posts: 11,139
    Murdock wrote: »

Which is stupid as Bond will always generate interest and after the mess EoN have created for themselves and audiences, they need to worry less in trying to play games in building suspense over an issue no one cares about or will be overehelmingly shocked by. People are either expecting a new actor or Craig to return. Which ever it is, especially as the 25th film has been announced and given a release date they should just come out with it instead of hyping this up that's only serving to be misplaced self-congratulatory, cheap circus guff.
    Okay.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    doubleoego wrote: »

Which is stupid as Bond will always generate interest and after the mess EoN have created for themselves and audiences, they need to worry less in trying to play games in building suspense over an issue no one cares about or will be overehelmingly shocked by. People are either expecting a new actor or Craig to return. Which ever it is, especially as the 25th film has been announced and given a release date they should just come out with it instead of hyping this up that's only serving to be misplaced self-congratulatory, cheap circus guff.

Pretentious is the perfect word to describe it.
    Let me get out my tiny violin.
    56a937ce1dd545f4dc1dbfc09fb6f65f.jpg
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    GetCarter wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree that SP will "seem" better once B25 has dropped.

If anything, think it'll sink in people's lists.

I don't think the Mendes double has much replay value, but at least SF had some inspired elements. Great locations, excellent title tune, DC in top form.

SP is flat in almost every way. It isn't cohesive, it contains the worst third act in the canon, DC's performance is indifferent.

Even the much heralded Mexico opener amounts to little more than a dipping helicopter over a crowded plaza.

It lacks the personality of SF's PTS, which I think is the best of the DC era.

I could very well be wrong, but I think SP will settle as something of a nadir for Craig, despite the solid box office.

As a fan, I hope he returns to set things right in B25.

Beyond that, there is a real dearth of solid candidates to take over.

Like him or not, Tom Hardy seems like one of the few who could pull it off.

Hardy is too old and too famous. The next Bond is likely to be someone now in his late twenties, like Jack O'Connell.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote: »

Pretentious is the perfect word to describe it.

Unjustifiable pretentiousness at that. SF's title was a poorly kept secret, EoN and Waltz protesting the latter wasnt Blofeld amongst other shoddy kept secrets and for me 2 largely disappointing movies; EoN are out of touch and desperately need to change and update their game plan. From when they can start putting out top quality movies again then they can do what they like but that's not currently the case and right now assuming they'll announce Craig will be back, it'll be a case of 'Ok; and?' Unless his announcement comes with him coming back for a 3 picture deal (Which I doubt) I don't see why anyone, especially fans should really give that much of a shit.
    Anyone want some salt with their fries? =))
    CnqKJ6il.jpg?1