No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    I think there was a time in 2016 when he was done with it. That squares with Mendes parting comments in early 2016 as well. If reports at the time are to be believed, his positive experiences during the Babs produced Othello made him reconsider his options.

I don't see any evidence for him having decided to throw the towel in. I'm sure he's given it plenty of thought but there's nothing to suggest that he ever was mentally in that place where he felt he was finished with it. At most I get the impression he just parked it and took some time off. Then when he came back refreshed and obviously after Babs had done a bit of buttering up, he was more inclined to stay.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I still go back to an interview after SPECTRE was released. The interviewer said "we're going to miss you" and Craig replied "Well I'm not gone yet."

Exactly. He's not an idiot. As I said, nowhere is there any evidence to suggest he was done with Bond, apart from some flippant, over-analysed comments made the day after the end of filming.

Everything else is speculation by us and the media. May be EON considered their options (why wouldn't they) but that has happened before when Rog was in the role. I'm sure that Babs and MGW have always had an eye on the future, just as Cubby did.

I've said it before but if DC had decided he wasn't going to carry on then he would have wanted that information out there and to make a clean break, not be constantly fielding questions about whether he was returning or not.
  • KuzcoKuzco france
    007Blofeld wrote: »

The trick that we do not know is how he is ammened to answer "he is doing bond first". Perhaps a reporter just talked about the future of "purity" if Craig was coming back to Bond and the other told him that in this case he would do bond first. I rather feel that purity is at a standstill because they do not know if craig retun to bond or not and so if they can start shooting in 2018 or in 2019 after bond25
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2017 Posts: 8,087
    Kuzco wrote: »
    Kuzco wrote: »
    Wat

? if Bond 25 is for nov 2019 , filming will be at the end of 2018 and begin 2019 , so Craig is free to shoot "Purity" this year
    Precisely. I don't think it's so much not being able to do it as much as not being permitted to do it. No studio wants their Bond overexposed on TV or even confirmed as being associated with this medium.

if Craig could shoot "purity" only in 2019, that means craig is free in 2018 to shoot bond ( brocolli wanted bond 25 on screen in nov 2018) so Why they pushed back Bond 25 to 2019 ?
    Well, that could have something to do with either the director they want or the distributor. I'd imagine a director would want to tweak the script and we're already in August, making a January start date for shooting B25 and a 2018 release date a bit tight. Too bad they spent one year dicking about with a possible sale to the Chinese.

Great article bondjames.

The only thing that could make this worse now is Craig coming on for two more (?) and if Paul McWhoever decides to helm the next B25 film, because of his work on the highly anticipated Films Stars Don't Die in Liverpool.
    Haha. Agreed @dominicgreene. If the announcement is as others have speculated then anticlimactic would be an understatement. I'll honestly be at a loss to explain what they have been playing at.

Even here, we've spent two weeks debating something which we've all pretty much known since April.

The only thing that can make it interesting now is if all of this is a red herring.

Isn't it anticlimactic anyway, knowing they chose P+W over a new writer? Doesn't appear like they're ready for serious change. The one ray of sunshine from this would be if WB gets distribution.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    I think there was a time in 2016 when he was done with it. That squares with Mendes parting comments in early 2016 as well. If reports at the time are to be believed, his positive experiences during the Babs produced Othello made him reconsider his options.

I don't see any evidence for him having decided to throw the towel in. I'm sure he's given it plenty of thought but there's nothing to suggest that he ever was mentally in that place where he felt he was finished with it. At most I get the impression he just parked it and took some time off. Then when he came back refreshed and obviously after Babs had done a bit of buttering up, he was more inclined to stay.

Agreed. I don't believe for a minute that he'd mentally quit at any point. Nothing suggests this.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,092
    Yeah, I remember that comment about "Well, I'm not gone yet" quite well. The way he said it made me feel the man has a lot of pride in regards to playing Bond. He loves it, takes pride in the fact he is the current Bond, and puts everything he has into the role. At the very least you gotta respect that about Craig. He's a combination of Connery's intensity and ruthlessness in the role with Moore's commitment to playing it.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 12,837
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Yeah, I remember that comment about "Well, I'm not gone yet" quite well. The way he said it made me feel the man has a lot of pride in regards to playing Bond. He loves it, takes pride in the fact he is the current Bond, and puts everything he has into the role. At the very least you gotta respect that about Craig. He's a combination of Connery's intensity and ruthlessness in the role with Moore's commitment to playing it.

Moore tried to quit with pretty much every film from MR onwards but anyway I don't see how Craig is particularly commited. We've spent the last two years waiting for confirmation he's even going to be in the next one. That we've been left analysing little comments from interviews in the first place is evidence of that. All him and EON would've had to do to put the rumours and speculation to bed is come out and say I'm still James Bond, I'm doing the next film, we're just sorting a distributor. That we've heard basically nothing for two years makes me think he's been undecided at least some of the time.

If we're talking about commitment I think Brosnan deserves some credit. Clearly loved playing the role and even after how crap his last one was always came across as very grateful for what it did for his career.
    Did DC ever think he was gone? He's never said anything to suggest this apart from those throw away wrist slasher comments.

Obviously SP left his options open but I don't think anything ever suggested that in his own mind DC felt he was finished.

You mean apart from saying things like "I rather slash my wrist" or "if I came back if would only be because of the money"?
    Anyhow, I still would really be surprised if he did another one. I also remain convinced, that he hasn't even been asked.
    About this purity project. Does anyone of you know for sure if this ever went past a crude development stage? Furthermore, is it possible that the producers were only allowed by Craig to use his name to see if they could get enough money for the project? Don't assume I want to imply anything, but everything I read here the last three, four pages sounds somehow very obscure to me, given how much hiring has to be done for filming project in general.
    The_Reaper wrote: »

It is really amazing, how well many of you seem to know the guy.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,588
    What I fail to understand is how could production on Purity be delayed until 2019 if B25 itself isn't starting principle photography until late 2018? Has production on ths series been at a complete standstill?
    jake24 wrote: »
    What I fail to understand is how could production on Purity be delayed until 2019 if B25 itself isn't starting principle photography until late 2018? Has production on ths series been at a complete standstill?

Yes, I threatened the CEO of ShowTime. And it works :D
  • RC7RC7
    Did DC ever think he was gone? He's never said anything to suggest this apart from those throw away wrist slasher comments.

Obviously SP left his options open but I don't think anything ever suggested that in his own mind DC felt he was finished.

You mean apart from saying things like "I rather slash my wrist" or "if I came back if would only be because of the money"?
    Anyhow, I still would really be surprised if he did another one. I also remain convinced, that he hasn't even been asked.
    About this purity project. Does anyone of you know for sure if this ever went past a crude development stage? Furthermore, is it possible that the producers were only allowed by Craig to use his name to see if they could get enough money for the project? Don't assume I want to imply anything, but everything I read here the last three, four pages sounds somehow very obscure to me, given how much hiring has to be done for filming project in general.

Yeah, they've locked in a release date, but haven't spoken to Craig at all. Someone's been at the crack pipe again.

A very important factor re: the Bond 25 distribution deal would be who is playing Bond, so the fact a deal seems to be in place - Eon couldn't just choose the release date without agreement with the distribution company - means they know who the lead actor is going to be. If it was a new actor, that would be leaking by now, but what is leaking is that Craig is back. To clarify, even low or medium budget independent films - and I know from experience - need to satisfy the sales and distributions companies in terms of the film's lead actor or actress or main cast. The stakes are far, far higher with a big budget franchise like Bond.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 3,164

We're just assuming principal photography on B25 is starting late 2018 because of SF and SP production schedules. When comparing to production schedules for other big blockbusters, that's an incredibly tight turnaround.

What this Purity news also hints is that maybe principal photography on B25 could start earlier, say sometime early or mid 2018.

And yes, seems like it was on a standstill because of uncertainty over when Bond 25 would be happening.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    antovolk wrote: »

We're just assuming principal photography on B25 is starting late 2018 because of SF and SP production schedules. When comparing to production schedules for other big blockbusters, that's an incredibly tight turnaround.

What this Purity news also hints is that maybe principal photography on B25 could start earlier, say sometime early or mid 2018.

And yes, seems like it was on a standstill because of uncertainty over when Bond 25 would be happening.
    Very possible.

Actually, I think that's advisable. Starting principal photography during spring/summer 2018. I mean, the production schedules of the last Bond films have become really old-fashioned no? Marvel usually takes way more time for principal photography. I think it could be also beneficial to the quality of the final product.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    ColonelSun wrote: »

A very important factor re: the Bond 25 distribution deal would be who is playing Bond, so the fact a deal seems to be in place - Eon couldn't just choose the release date without agreement with the distribution company - means they know who the lead actor is going to be. If it was a new actor, that would be leaking by now, but what is leaking is that Craig is back. To clarify, even low or medium budget independent films - and I know from experience - need to satisfy the sales and distributions companies in terms of the film's lead actor or actress or main cast. The stakes are far, far higher with a big budget franchise like Bond.
    I agree on this. The leaks have been deliberate since April (and in fact go all the way back to mid 2016). As with most things, there is usually some truth to these things (although, like the White House, I think MGM/EON should find out who is doing it and give them the sack, unless they wanted it to happen). As I said earlier, no leak on the distributor, but lots of leaks on Craig. Why? Is it to 'fix' the perception that he's a whiner on the way out? I think so. It's damage control and reputation rebuilding imho and it's been going on for a few months now, increasing in severity to coincide with his return to acting in Logan Lucky. Too much of a coincidence for anything else. It's still entirely ridiculous how they've (his agents) handled this from a positive PR perspective. Honestly, I don't think people really give a toss (about Craig, that is) at this point except for us die hards. It's all played out. Boy who cried wolf.

I've said it before (in 2016) and I'll say it again. There is no way in hell that Babs/EON/MGM would have let Craig star in Purity while he was the incumbent Bond. The fact that he committed to that project suggests he was at one time on his way out. Unless it was intended at one time that B25 would get off the floor faster (perhaps by 2017) and then he would have been able to do Purity later in 2018. MGM was trying to sell to the Chinese after all.

I agree on this. The leaks have been deliberate since April (and in fact go all the way back to mid 2016). As with most things, there is usually some truth to these things (although, like the White House, I think MGM/EON should find out who is doing it and give them the sack, unless they wanted it to happen). As I said earlier, no leak on the distributor, but lots of leaks on Craig. Why? Is it to 'fix' the perception that he's a whiner on the way out? I think so. It's damage control and reputation rebuilding imho and it's been going on for a few months now, increasing in severity to coincide with his return to acting in Logan Lucky. Too much of a coincidence for anything else. It's still entirely ridiculous how they've (his agents) handled this from a positive PR perspective. Honestly, I don't think people really give a toss (about Craig, that is) at this point except for us die hards. It's all played out. Boy who cried wolf.

I've said it before (in 2016) and I'll say it again. There is no way in hell that Babs/EON/MGM would have let Craig star in Purity while he was the incumbent Bond. The fact that he committed to that project suggests he was at one time on his way out. Unless it was intended at one time that B25 would get off the floor faster (perhaps by 2017) and then he would have been able to do Purity later in 2018. MGM was trying to sell to the Chinese after all.

This is pure speculation.

Dennison wrote: »

Of course it is. I didn't say it wasn't. This is the thread for it, isn't it?

What facts do you know, apart from the fact that B25 will release in 2019 and P&W will write it?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Or perhaps this?
    7 times total. Oh, did I just post that?
    7? Daniel is not doing 3 more at this stage.

Oh yes he is!
    I was able to watch Yann Demange’s “’71” last night and was very impressed. It’s such an assured and confident piece of filmmaking – if you have yet to see it, I recommend you seek it out.

He’s able to create a truly intense and nerve-jangling thriller – not only does he inject the film with a quasi-documentary verisimilitude, but he’s also a master of tone. The film has a bleak, oppressive and apocalyptic feel. It’s very engrossing – even if the characters are vaguely sketched and the plot is a little messy. Jack O’Connell is fast becoming one of my favourite actors – he’s such a charismatic performer and has great emotional availability.

The cinematography is also great – if Demange does do Bond 25, then I hoe he brings Tat Radcliffe along for proceedings.

It’s interesting to see what he’ll do with Bond – whilst “’71”has style, it feels more indebted to the more frenetic filmmaking of the Bourne movies. I don’t think this is overly indicative of Demange’s style, but he has a gritty, tough and bloodied approach which doesn’t fit too comfortably with the Bond series. In many respects, that’s exactly the reason I’m excited about him directing.

Go watch “’71” instantly.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,031

What facts do you know, apart from the fact that B25 will release in 2019 and P&W will write it?

Oh yes he is!

Ahem .. you didn't get that I was humouring a certain person with that? I don't claim to know anything, unlike some other people ... I think that was my point, but obviously you didn't get that ... oh well.

I agree on this. The leaks have been deliberate since April (and in fact go all the way back to mid 2016). As with most things, there is usually some truth to these things (although, like the White House, I think MGM/EON should find out who is doing it and give them the sack, unless they wanted it to happen). As I said earlier, no leak on the distributor, but lots of leaks on Craig. Why? Is it to 'fix' the perception that he's a whiner on the way out? I think so. It's damage control and reputation rebuilding imho and it's been going on for a few months now, increasing in severity to coincide with his return to acting in Logan Lucky. Too much of a coincidence for anything else. It's still entirely ridiculous how they've (his agents) handled this from a positive PR perspective. Honesly, I don't think people really give a toss (about Craig, that is) at this point except for us die hards. It's all played out. Boy who cried wolf.

I've said it before (in 2016) and I'll say it again. There is no way in hell that Babs/EON/MGM would have let Craig star in Purity while he was the incumbent Bond. The fact that he committed to that project suggests he was at one time on his way out. Unless it was intended at one time that B25 would get off the floor faster (perhaps by 2017) and then he would have been able to do Purity later. MGM was trying to sell to the Chinese after all.

I think Craig did what any actor does, he was offered a good role in Purity, a project and talented director he clearly felt (and may still feel) drawn to, and, at that time, there was no clarity re: Bond 25, so he accepted the offer on the table. Since then Bond 25 has obviously taken more shape, so that has had, as we now hear, an impact on Purity's schedule.

I don't think there has been any attempt of "damage control" from Eon regarding Craig. They've simply got on with their job and worked to strike a deal with Craig. Craig's agents and managers, all top of their game, know what to say and when, and they won't release any information which might spoil the deal they hope to strike with Eon.

Oh yes he is!

Ahem .. you didn't get that I was humouring a certain person with that?
    Actually, I did. Point is the only 'facts' on this thread are what I noted in my last post (2019 and P&W). The rest is playful conjecture by all, including myself. Hopefully that's clear.

Oh yes he is!

Actually, I did. Point is the only 'facts' on this thread are what I noted in my last post. The rest is playful conjecture by all. Hopefully that's clear.

Oh yes he is!

Actually, I did. Point is the only 'facts' on this thread are what I noted in my last post. The rest is playful conjecture by all. Hopefully that's clear.

Well obviously old chap. I just thought what you said about Purity and Craig was utter crap.
    I don't think there has been any attempt of "damage control" from Eon regarding Craig. They've simply got on with their job and worked to strike a deal with Craig. Craig's agents and managers, all top of their game, know what to say and when, and they won't release any information which might spoil the deal they hope to strike with Eon.
    @ColonelSun, Craig has agents too.

While EON may not care about his comments getting press coverage every other day for two years, I'm sure someone cares. He has to get other roles in the future once his Bond gig is done (whenever that may be). The fact that these 'rumours' have started leaking intensely around the same time as Logan Lucky is coincidental certainly. They don't hurt him, and only help after the past two years (wanting more money, cutting wrists etc. etc.).

If he's back for B25, I'll be interested to see how he handles the press. I'm willing to bet it will be a far more 'muzzled' and behaved Craig. Like I said, he has to act after it's over and Hollywood is a touchy crowd.

Actually, I think that's advisable. Starting principal photography during spring/summer 2018. I mean, the production schedules of the last Bond films have become really old-fashioned no? Marvel usually takes way more time for principal photography. I think it could be also beneficial to the quality of the final product.

And so does everything else.

Francis Lawrence's Red Sparrow tried to have it the same way (production start in February for a November release date) but ultimately they moved the release to March 2018 because of production pressures and the competition from Thor and Justice League in November.

What this also allows is more breathing room for the marketing department as they have more to work with. They only started filming the SPECTRE PTS when the first teaser came out, and that was only done the way it was because it was all they really could work with at the time of putting it together (February 2015).

While EON may not care about his comments getting press coverage every other day for two years, I'm sure someone cares. He has to get other roles in the future once his Bond gig is done (whenever that may be). The fact that these 'rumours' have started leaking intensely around the same time as Logan Lucky is coincidental certainly. They don't hurt him, and only help after the past two years (wanting more money, cutting wrists etc. etc.).

If he's back for B25, I'll be interested to see how he handles the press. I'm willing to bet it will be a far more 'muzzled' and behaved Craig. Like I said, he has to act after it's over and Hollywood is a touchy crowd.

I don't think Craig's in any danger of not having an acting career beyond Bond. Certainly not because of some daft comment he made to a journalist when tired after a tough shoot. I'm surprised we're even still talking about it. The media at the time blew it all out of proportion, I don't think we should perpetuate it.

I don't think Craig's in any danger of not having an acting career beyond Bond. Certainly not because of some daft comment he made to a journalist when tired after a tough shoot. I'm surprised we're even still talking about it. The media at the time blew it all out of proportion, I don't think we should perpetuate it.
    Sorry mate, that one will last with us all the way to B25's release.

We're still talking about it because it's still attached to nearly every article where Craig and Bond are mentioned. I'd say at least over 500 articles in various publications all over the world over the past two years. That is the kind of 'marketing' money can't buy. Every time 'Bond' is mentioned, that comment is attached to it. I'm sorry to say that we're not making a dent in getting the word out. Others are.

Of late I've seen some articles finally avoid it fortunately, and that's what these counter-rumours are 'cleansing'. I hope it works but won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Yes, as I said, Craig's team are top notch, CAA in LA and Independent in London, and they will coordinate very, very carefully to manage Craig's career. As for Craig being muzzled - I don't know, it seems to me, like Connery, he's his own man in that respect.

Yes, as I said, Craig's team are top notch, CAA in LA and Independent in London, and they will coordinate very, very carefully to manage Craig's career. As for Craig being muzzled - I don't know, it seems to me, like Connery, he's his own man in that respect.
    Sorry, I missed your comments on his agents when typing my response. It's a frightening prospect to think he will be allowed to go off the reservation again for B25's promotion. Lots of $$ at stake and a possible IPO off the backs of it.