No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    So what's the verdict on P+W? Part of the Writers Guild of America or not? And most importantly, will they be affected if the strike occurs?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    So what's the verdict on P+W? Part of the Writers Guild of America or not? And most importantly, will they be affected if the strike occurs?

Well, apparently Robert Wade is a member of the WGA, and purvis wouldn't continue on the script while his partner strikes, so I'm going to say yes until we hear otherwise.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Wade is:
    MrBond wrote: »
    I have just taken a look at the member registry of WGA US and Robert Wade is indeed a member of their guild. No info on Neil Purvis. But if Wade goes on strike, count on Purvis doing the same.

And likely, as goes Burt, so goes Ernie.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer

Well, apparently Robert Wade is a member of the WGA, and purvis wouldn't continue on the script while his partner strikes, so I'm going to say yes until we hear otherwise.

Well that's unfortunate. thnx
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339
    bondjames wrote: »
    Not following up on the Haines story was a mistake in my view. Especially given the tieback from Spectre to Quantum. They should have at least made a mention of it, assuming MI6 dealt with Haines in the period between QoS and SF.

I think it was just a case of him not being a major enough character (we see him for seconds), and the function of him would necessitate bringing in his ties to the high-echelon British government, which would be ambitious. The plots at that point didn't really have the space for that, but if they wanted to play that hand, now is the perfect time.

Blofeld will likely be in British custody for a time and if his organization wished to weed him out of capture, they'd have to do it from the inside of the government itself. Haines could be that special connection.

But that cant happen.

Haines has been exposed back in 2008 in QOS,he wont be any kind of envoy to anyone now...he is probably either dead,rotting in jail or back in the arms of SPECTRE.

He can be in BOND25 sure,and play a big part,but not as a Government big-wig,or a Government anything.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Not following up on the Haines story was a mistake in my view. Especially given the tieback from Spectre to Quantum. They should have at least made a mention of it, assuming MI6 dealt with Haines in the period between QoS and SF.

I think it was just a case of him not being a major enough character (we see him for seconds), and the function of him would necessitate bringing in his ties to the high-echelon British government, which would be ambitious. The plots at that point didn't really have the space for that, but if they wanted to play that hand, now is the perfect time.

Blofeld will likely be in British custody for a time and if his organization wished to weed him out of capture, they'd have to do it from the inside of the government itself. Haines could be that special connection.

But that cant happen.

Haines has been exposed back in 2008 in QOS,he wont be any kind of envoy to anyone now...he is probably either dead,rotting in jail or back in the arms of SPECTRE.

He can be in BOND25 sure,and play a big part,but not as a Government big-wig,or a Government anything.

It's hard to tell, as it's left in the air. Bond and a few in the higher levels of MI6 know who Haines is connected to, but we also saw how corrupt the governments of the west were too, and how far they were willing to go to help their own. If the PM had SPECTRE connections or could be threatened, manipulated or coaxed, Haines wouldn't be going anywhere. SPECTRE's power could reach so high, he was as kept in play and protected via his powerful associates. M is small fry in comparison to that, especially when you see how powerless Mallory was to stop a simple merger. The 00 program are just foot soldiers, the ones that get thrown into the flame to keep it burning. They are at the whim of their government through and through, and that's bad news if that system is corrupted by SPECTRE.

But that cant happen.

It's hard to tell, as it's left in the air. Bond and a few in the higher levels of MI6 know who Haines is connected to, but we also saw how corrupt the governments of the west were too, and how far they were willing to go to help their own. If the PM had SPECTRE connections or could be threatened, manipulated or coaxed, Haines wouldn't be going anywhere. SPECTRE's power could reach so high, he was as kept in play and protected via his powerful associates. M is small fry in comparison to that, especially when you see how powerless Mallory was to stop a simple merger. The 00 program are just foot soldiers, the ones that get thrown into the flame to keep it burning. They are at the whim of their government through and through, and that's bad news if that system is corrupted by SPECTRE.

Sure.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    tanaka123 wrote: »

But that cant happen.

Sure.

Care to debate?

But that cant happen.

Sure.

Care to debate?

I agree with your comments.

But that cant happen.

That's a fair point Brady,especially re Mallory's helplessness later.
    The thing is I think Haines knew he was known,and the last thing he would have done would have gone back to work as usual,as MI6 did have photographic and computer evidence of Haines.

I think to have Haines back in Government would be pushing it ...

But that cant happen.

The thing is I think Haines knew he was known,and the last thing he would have done would have gone back to work as usual,as MI6 did have photographic and computer evidence of Haines.

Maybe. But maybe Haines has some leverage on people in places of power that enables him to continue in hisw position of power. But on the other hand it probably wouldn't work actually. I mean it's a bit old hat all that kind of thing. Terrible. No maybe I wouldn't go that far, but moles in 24 and in Bond - just too much.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 19,339

But that cant happen.

Maybe. But maybe Haines has some leverage on people in places of power that enables him to continue in hisw position of power. But on the other hand it probably wouldn't work actually. I mean it's a bit old hat all that kind of thing. Terrible. No maybe I wouldn't go that far, but moles in 24 and in Bond - just too much.

Exactly...and there is also the problem of explaining all this on screen to make it plausible to the cinema-going public.
    Very difficult,for those film enthusiasts who,although not Bond fans,probably would have re-watched the Craig films before seeing BOND25 to refresh the story,therefore knowing who Haines is and what he is .

If Haines comes back ,It has to be as a SPECTRE numbered leader.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Haines could have been used in SPECTRE and the Denbigh, Mallory section of the story could have been much more convincing.

It would have meant making Denbigh more Mallory's age and someone from his past he trusts, most likely from his SAS days and someone like Gareth who has rose up through the ranks of government.

You could have used him to help to tie the films together much more convincingly and what we got, the irony as he was a P&W character they could have used their existing creations but instead they just cobbled together what we got.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Haines could have been used in SPECTRE and the Denbigh, Mallory section of the story could have been much more convincing.

It would have meant making Denbigh more Mallory's age and someone from his past he trusts, most likely from his SAS days and someone like Gareth who has rose up through the ranks of government.

You could have used him to help to tie the films together much more convincingly and what we got, the irony as he was a P&W character they could have used their existing creations but instead they just cobbled together what we got.
    These two obviously were asleep at the wheel. It doesn't bode well for the future given they are back at the helm (I'm of the view that they are a spent force and weren't all that impressive to begin with), but perhaps they could surprise us yet.
    How about bringing none of them back and giving us a break from this bloody story arc...Bond films have always been standalone and it needs to go back to that.

If the films were out every 2 years,as between CR-QOS,then yes ,a story arc would work,but not every 4 years.....enough now,standalone missions please.

I'd prefer that, too, and am not looking forward to having them back, either.
    Whether or not Hinx returns? I have to say hats off to Dave Bautista in the acting fold. Menacing as Hinx! Hilarious and deadly in GOTG!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hinx was one of the best henchmen, if not the very best, the last couple of decades. I would love to see him back.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Hinx was superb, but I'd much prefer a new character to fill his spot, especially if Waltz and Seydoux reprise their roles. Too many returning characters could make for a lack of originality.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Hinx was brilliant. But, I kind of felt he was underdeveloped. He had more to offer.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'd be ok if he doesn't return. He wasn't particularly memorable to me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's Bautista that's great. That's why I'd like Hinx to return. Otherwise, the character was just a block in Bond's way.
  • Bautista IS great. He's great as Drax the Destroyer. Badass, genuinely funny, well-written and well-used throughout.

But he was just there as Hinx. He didn't say anything, he didn't have any notable presence or character to speak of, he wasn't memorable in the slightest. He just had that one amazing fight with Craig. But then again, so did the guy who played Slate in QOS.

I'd be very okay with Hinx not popping up again unless they really do something to give the character personality. It's not at all like bringing the iconic Jaws back for Moonraker. It'd be a bit more like bringing Necros back for Licence to Kill. Yeah, he had a great fight scene, two of 'em, and...?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bringing back Necros for LTK- how would you all go about that?

Me, I would have a flashback of him landing in a plane underneath, one that belongs to SPECTRE who are behind it all, and who have cameras in the sky even in 1989.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd love Hinx back. He rocked. Round 2 with Daniel would be awesome.
  • Bringing back Necros for LTK- how would you all go about that?

Me, I would have a flashback of him landing in a plane underneath, one that belongs to SPECTRE who are behind it all, and who have cameras in the sky even in 1989.

Don't be silly. Afghanistan has circuses, too. Easy peasy, done and done.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'd enjoy having Hinx return. I wouldn't call him "brilliant," and he certainly could've had a bit more backstory and/or motivation in my opinion, but he's one of the best (few) notable henchmen in the Craig era.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well he's certainly got more motivation now after being yanked out of a Train by the neck and getting shot. ;)

Hinx could easily survive the barrel pull from the train....Necros falling from a Hercules is a dead man.
  • barryt007 wrote: »

Hinx could easily survive the barrel pull from the train....Necros falling from a Hercules is a dead man.

To be fair, Bautista's neck is the circumference of a young redwood.