No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    I sincerely hope no to Hinx. It's too gimicky to bring him back-- worked in the late 70s... Let's do something fresh.

Re: director: if, true, does this also mean a tighter budget (fingers crossed), going with a smaller, less well known director?;

I'm all for a tighter budget, strong on story-telling and influenced by Fleming; just get a kick ass second unit that will design great action-- and hopefully get back to more hand to hand combat.

In fact get back to a Bond that bleeds again-- something I loved about CR and QOS.

SP lacked suspense and tension because Bond was never really threatened; put big obstacles in his way this time. If it means Blofeld coming back, then I hope Blofeld himself has had a psychological transformation in prison; that the egomaniac becomes more twisted and demented in three years of solitary confinement; that his hatred has grown, and, once the inevitable break out happens, he's sick with vengeance and nurtures his sadistic side; I hope he has a dual mission: one that is a full on assault of SPECTRE on the western world, and; two the death of James Bond (but not because they're "brothers"-- don't even mention this).

Blofeld will know his plan will be the web that pulls Bond in, so he doesn't have to worry about finding 007; 007 will come to him.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @Creasy47, I think you mean @jake24.

Yes, it's all just rumours, although Indie likely favours Annapurna.

As I noted a few weeks back. they are the wildcard in that list of studio names, and I don't think they are there by accident. I believe MGM may consider a tie-up with them, given they are moving forward together on Detroit.
    I guess with McGuigan this means more journeyman indeed....which may be good, just to wrap the Craig era up once and for all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Creasy47, I think you mean @jake24.

Yes, it's all just rumours, although Indie likely favours Annapurna.

As I noted a few weeks back. they are the wildcard in that list of studio names, and I don't think they are there by accident. I believe MGM may consider a tie-up with them, given they are moving forward together on Detroit.

Thanks, I did. I think I even noticed that when I typed the post then forgot to fix it before I posted.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited May 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    "Kings" on the other hand has Bond written all over the press tour.
    With Berry in the cast, yes it does. I can just see the questions now.

I can picture the awkward setting of the interview room now, @bondjames. Dan and Halle, both sat close together in a fashion that deprives of privacy and personal space, while a nervous and fidgety interviewer with cue cards sopping wet from his perspiration interrogates them with uneasy stares. With bloodshot eyes and stuttered speech, he addresses the pair as spit marks the end of his speech, the bits of his mouth waste landing on the brows of Dan and Halle as he drones on:

"So....you both....ah.....you guys-I mean guy and girl.....ahhh....uhhhh.....You h-have so-something in co-common.

[long pause]

Okay, a c-clue: it r-rhymes with 'wubble-row-flevin.'

(A weak chuckle issues itself from the creepy man's lips)

Anybody wanna t-take a g-guess?"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Ha Ha @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.

What I'm actually worried about is some smart alec taking shots at Craig and Halle for being in Bond films that weren't well received critically, or that mark an end of an era or something along those lines.

Craig will have to be well briefed, because I can see one of these hounds doing whatever it takes to get him to say something that will be taken out of context, just so it can make the rounds for a few months.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ha Ha @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7.

What I'm actually worried about is some smart alec taking shots at Craig and Halle for being in Bond films that weren't well received critically, or that mark an end of an era or something along those lines.

Craig will have to be well briefed, because I can see one of these hounds doing whatever it takes to get him to say something that will be taken out of context, just so it can make the rounds for a few months.

Ah, I see. Well, if it's anything of the sort you know Dan will have a reserve, "F@#$ off!" ready to pull out for anyone who'd dare to try it. He's one of the last people I'd want to take to task in any setting, much less the press rounds that he already has a bad reaction to. I see far more ass kissing on these press rounds, but admittedly most of those are in interviewers for the Bond films where the questions are almost milquetoast by design to tick the boxes. The questions, "How much fun did you have?," "Isn't [insert actor name here] great?" and "How is [insert Bond girl name] Bond's equal?" are all fair play.

Outside of a Bond press tour, you could be right that Dan is ripe for targeting, especially with P&W in the news and all the mounting reports of the distribution and all the rest coming along with it. The worst thing that could happen is if he took a glass, shattered it and literally slashed his wrists mid-interview to escape the trivial nuisance of it all. Beyond that, I think he'll be fine. The press will be the press, and Dan will be Dan. They are both committed to those roles fundamentally.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Er, apparently they made a deal. Strike averted.
    Holy crap. Did Bond pop off the script page and save the day for real?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yep! With one bullet, he solved the problem. ;)
    Yep! With one bullet, he solved the problem. ;)

If Bond can take out a helicopter with one magazine, he's got to be able to do a helluva lot with just one bullet.

P&W must've been far enough in the Bond 25 script to give 007 a gun again, meaning he could leap off the page and get to persuading the negotiators to settle a deal. Movie magic, dare I say.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,980
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    i
    Er, apparently they made a deal. Strike averted.
    Looks like we've destroyed your evil plan, Dr.Mendes.
    Good news....now get Dan to sign up and lets get on with making BOND25 eh lads and lasses ??!!
    edited May 2017 Posts: 7,980
    Hopefully all that is left to do on the script is a polish.
    talos7 wrote: »

Bloody Eastern Europeans get everywhere these days.

barryt007 wrote: »

Reminds me of a joke, @barryt007. :))
    barryt007 wrote: »

Well, just because you're from Poland doesn't mean you can't be a good writer. I'm sure there are...examples.
    Ha!
    I wonder why Jake is ignoring the Director news. one more thing that accured to me assuming it's Mendes who pushed for Bond 24 being titled Spectre no one word s titles if Paul McGuigan is directing Bond 25 :D

Also in looking at the trailer for Lucky Number Slevin... am I the only one who wants Ben Kingsley in a bond film? not as a villain mind you but perhaps as a contact...
    I've always wanted Ben Kingsley in a Bond film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I wonder why Jake is ignoring the Director news. one more thing that accured to me assuming it's Mendes who pushed for Bond 24 being titled Spectre no one word s titles if Paul McGuigan is directing Bond 25 :D

Also in looking at the trailer for Lucky Number Slevin... am I the only one who wants Ben Kingsley in a bond film? not as a villain mind you but perhaps as a contact...

I'm not ignoring it. That said, I'm not a machine either. I'll have everything updated tonight.
    This just arrived in MSN News :

James Bond 25: Paul McGuigan linked with directing .

Sherlock and Gangster Number 1 director Paul McGuigan is reportedly on the James Bond shortlist...

Amongst the many questions that need resolving where James Bond 25 is concerned is who’s going to be sitting in the director’s chair. Sam Mendes, who helmed the last two 007 adventures – Skyfall and Spectre – has long since confirmed he wouldn’t be back. And with Neal Purvis and Robert Wade putting together a script for an assumed shoot later this year, the identity of the new director is likely to need resolving sooner rather than later.

We might just have our first candidate, too.

Paul McGuigan, whose big screen work has included Lucky Number Slevin, Gangster Number 1 and Victor Frankenstein, is reported to be on Eon Productions’ list. This is off the back of strong early word for McGuigan’s next film, Film Stars Don’t Die In Liverpool.

McGuigan is also the man who directed four of the first six episodes of Sherlock, as well as the opening episode of Luke Cage for Marvel (amongst his many impressive television credits).

It’s unknown yet who else is in the running for the James Bond 25 director's job. Likewise, we’ve not yet had it confirmed – although it’s looking increasingly likely – that Daniel Craig will be returning for the next 007 film as well. As we said, lots of question still await an answer.

We’ll keep you posted as we hear more. The assumption continues to be that James Bond 25 will be released towards the end of 2018.

@Risico007, @jake24 isn't ignoring it, it's just that we're not going to take a rumor that has yet to have profound backing as a certifiable fact. We all want Bond 25 off the ground as soon as is possible, but we can't take every murmur as a sign in the teas leaves that production starts tomorrow.

Taking things every step at a time is much better. Waiting out news of P&W's possible story treatment that turned into a possibility of them being on Bond 25 writing duties. Following the strike movement week by week to see if a deal could be made (which is now finally resolved). Not jumping to conclusions off the bat is best advised. So we're not ignoring anything, but instead thinking it over and watching for developments to see if it holds water over the longer term.
    I know the majority of the fans have very limited duration of patience and anticipation, and we can all agree that we want the next Bond film to be out as soon as possible. But, there's nothing we could do if the filmmakers themselves are trying their best to put it on the rails and the odds themselves are pushing the project to delays, so there's not much to do. My credo in such cases are: "When it comes, it comes. I can wait."

There are plenty of other stuff we can entertain ourselves with. And particularly films.
    I know the majority of the fans have very limited duration of patience and anticipation, and we can all agree that we want the next Bond film to be out as soon as possible. But, there's nothing we could do if the filmmakers themselves are trying their best to put it on the rails and the odds themselves are pushing the project to delays, so there's not much to do. My credo in such cases are: "When it comes, it comes. I can wait."

There are plenty of other stuff we can entertain ourselves with. And particularly films.

And certain comic books, @ClarkDevlin? ;)

And certain comic books, @ClarkDevlin? ;)
    The chap knows me all too well! :D
  • RC7RC7
    What I'm fascinated by is that you can guarantee some whiners haven't even read Fleming. What better way to pass the time?
    A few points

1. Sorry Jake I thought you didn't see the news
    2. Read all of Fleming bensons the one offs and half way through Gardner currently I am reading the comic books which are fantastic and everything I want in a modern bond story (I prefer it to Trigger Mortis to be frank)
    3. MSN's article makes a ton of leaps in logic unless they know something we don't. In theory yes if they got a director within the next month and the distribution deal done and the script was great the could start location scouting in June and get the principal cast and locations set up/ booked by October or November with an announcement in December and filming to begin that same month with a release next fall but I am skeptical that things can move that quickly.

Not saying I am not hopeful MSN is right in saying we will get bond next year just saying I am doubtful