No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Risico007, being skeptical isn't a bad attitude. It's best to be wary of all you hear and hone your understanding of a report's merits over time instead of accepting all you hear as truth the minute it's rumored.
    Well I want to believe in rumor it's just I have been burned so much in the past.... but I would hope we would all agree as long as the product is good a fall 2018 release would be far better then a fall 2019 release
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Well I want to believe in rumor it's just I have been burned so much in the past.... but I would hope we would all agree as long as the product is good a fall 2018 release would be far better then a fall 2019 release

I want a conclusion that does for Craig's end what CR did for its beginning. When that comes, I don't care, just so it does.
    I’m slightly confused why the press are pegging McGuigan as an “indie” director. He’s a career journeyman who goes where the work is. He’s the sort of man that Eon hired back in the 1990s. Occasionally, these appointments worked (Martin Campbell and, in my opinion, Michael Apted), but there is always the threat of a bland or outright terrible person being hired (Roger Spottiswoode/Lee Tamhori).

I suppose what I’m trying to say, is that McGuigan isn’t the most exciting or dynamic name. I’d imagine that if they hired him, it would solely be there to execute Barbara’s vision and finish off the Craig era.

It seems unusual for Eon to take such a backward step. In the Craig era they have so far aimed for arthouse directors (Marc Forster) or A-list auteurs (Sam Mendes). McGuigan seems a flat and safe choice.

If they want a real “indie” director, then hire one of these guys:

Pablo Larraín
    Paolo Sorrentino
    Yann Demange
    JA Bayona

I think Mcguigan’s pitch must have sold Broccoli (he’s been linked to the franchise before and has expressed a desire to make a Bond film). Considering he’s the ONLY name we have heard so far, I suspect he’s firmly in the running. Also those praying for a 2018 release date will be enthused by McGuigan appointment as filmmakers like him are known to work quickly.

I feel we can do better.
    I’m slightly confused why the press are pegging McGuigan as an “indie” director. He’s a career journeyman who goes where the work is. He’s the sort of man that Eon hired back in the 1990s. Occasionally, these appointments worked (Martin Campbell and, in my opinion, Michael Apted), but there is always the threat of a bland or outright terrible person being hired (Roger Spottiswoode/Lee Tamhori).

I suppose what I’m trying to say, is that McGuigan isn’t the most exciting or dynamic name. I’d imagine that if they hired him, it would solely be there to execute Barbara’s vision and finish off the Craig era.

It seems unusual for Eon to take such a backward step. In the Craig era they have so far aimed for arthouse directors (Marc Forster) or A-list auteurs (Sam Mendes). McGuigan seems a flat and safe choice.

Pablo Larraín
    Paolo Sorrentino
    Yann Demange
    JA Bayona

I think Mcguigan’s pitch must have sold Broccoli (he’s been linked to the franchise before and has expressed a desire to make a Bond film). Considering he’s the ONLY name we have heard so far, I suspect he’s firmly in the running. Also those praying for a 2018 release date will be enthused by McGuigan appointment as filmmakers like him are known to work quickly.

I feel we can do better.

There are very few directors that don't go where the work it, everyone has to make a living. I personally think McGuigan is a good and very interesting director.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This is only a rumour at this stage. Just because he's working with BB on something else doesn't mean he's for Bond. That's similar to the Jamie Bell rubbish that was doing the rounds a year ago. Having said that, I'm all for a simple journeyman if it's true, and perhaps it means we are in for a complete reset, GE or CR style, with accompanying reduction in budget. If so, I'm jumping for joy.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Speaking of Paul McGuigan, there are couple of scenes in Lucky Number Slevin in which the characters are talking about James Bond. Here's one of them:

In the other scene, which I couldn't find, they get into specifics about the Bond films. Here's the beginning of it: http://www.tzr.io/yarn-clip/c8c0eca6-94fe-456e-b63b-7f58854f4752

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Pierce2Daniel, now you have me excited over the prospect of Sorrentino shooting one of these installments. I'd lose my mind.

Pablo Larraín
    Paolo Sorrentino
    Yann Demange
    JA Bayona

I feel we can do better.

And Mendes only happened after a, presumably slightly sozzled, Daniel Craig asked him at a party.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    At this point I don't care who the director is just so long as it's not Mendes. Campbell isn't considered a great director but damn the man knows how to make great Bond films. Come on EoN let's go!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    At this point I don't care who the director is just so long as it's not Mendes. Campbell isn't considered a great director but damn the man knows how to make great Bond films. Come on EoN let's go!

That's how I'm feeling. I may not like some of the other rumors or choices, McGuigan included, but if it's not Mendes, then I'll give the new director a fair chance.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Absolutely.
  • RC7RC7
    edited May 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Quite right. Look at what Gunn and the Russo's did for Marvel. No pedigree whatsoever in delivering tent-pole summer fare, but both delivered what I consider to be the two best pictures the studio have released (by some margin). As @ColonelSun said, most directors aren't in the privileged position to cherry pick projects, they do what they can and if a big opportunity arises they take it. Personally I'm ambivalent about McGuigan, but I've never seen the guy pitch for a movie. It's just as likely than not that he may have a vision for Bond that completely exceeds expectations. Some directors thrive in particular sandboxes, I just hope EON get someone who does just that with the world of Bond.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Quite right. Look at what Gunn and the Russo's did for Marvel. No pedigree whatsoever in delivering tent-pole summer fare, but both delivered what I consider to be the two best pictures the studio have released (by some margin). As @ColonelSun said, most directors aren't in the privileged position to cherry pick projects, they do what they can and if a big opportunity arises they take it. Personally I'm ambivalent about McGuigan, but I've never seen the guy pitch for a movie. It's just as likely than not that he may have a vision for Bond that completely exceeds expectations. Some directors thrive in particular sandboxes, I just hope EON get someone who does just that with the world of Bond.

He also did a pretty good job with Gangster No. 1.
  • RC7RC7
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

He also did a pretty good job with Gangster No. 1.

Is that the Paul Bettany film? I saw that back in the day, but can't recall it.

Yeah it has Paul Bettany and David Thewlis in it - it's quite a good film, if a bit violent in places. It also has Malcolm McDowell in a small role, playing Paul Bettany's character when he's older.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Great article by den of geek http://www.denofgeek.com/uk
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,619
    They want to replace the man who directed American Beauty and Road to Perdition with the guy who helmed VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN? No thanks!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,690
    In other words, we'd all laugh at the suggestion of Martin Campbell becoming a first-time Bond director?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    In other words, we'd all laugh at the suggestion of Martin Campbell becoming a first-time Bond director?
    Some seem to think so!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    They want to replace the man who directed American Beauty and Road to Perdition with the guy who helmed VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN? No thanks!

What bearing on Bond would that have. A luvvie director could make a film showered with awards, doesn't mean that he would know his way around a Bond film, though.

What bearing on Bond would that have. A luvvie director could make a film showered with awards, doesn't mean that he would know his way around a Bond film, though.
    Thank you!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    How many Oscars has Campbell won?
    So relieved that the Writer's strike has been resolved! Hopefully that is the only stumbling block now removed for Daniel to reprise the role one final time!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

If you judged every director by their worst film then we'd have a lot less to talk about, though.

McGuigan also directed the very clever Lucky Number Slevin (which still has some superb dialogue and twists), the underrated Push, and 4 great episodes of Sherlock.

He's pretty good. Mendes also directed Jarhead which is pretty poor, so...
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If the McGuigan rumour has any basis of truth this should please those sick of auteurs and directors wanting to turn Bond arty and stamp their own mark on the series.

Personally I welcome it, he seems a solid director, I thought when watching his Sherlock episodes that he might be suitable for Bond.

Also the possibility of Arnold returning to his old spot must be more likely if McGuigan does sign on due to the Sherlock connection.

I'm sceptical about the 2018 release but with not having to worry about the likes of Mendes with his indecisiveness then maybe they can get their ducks in a row if DC is game for this to happen.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    talos7 wrote: »

How many Oscars has Halle Berry won?
    echo wrote: »

Well said, sir!
    The McGuigan backlash seems slightly strange. Not only because it's just a whisper.

I'd assume that with so many upset with Mendes, the best choice for Bond 25 would be a person who didn't want to be so focused on putting their unique stamp on the franchise in a very auteur way.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

echo wrote: »

Exactly, Campbell has never won an Oscsr, or even come close and he directs two outstanding Bonds, while Berry wins one and falls flat as Jinx.