No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Its a new timeline,that comment would push things too far...the DB5 was enough of a nod to earlier films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    They teased us during the rollout with the bullet holes and what not. I'm glad they left it out as well. It would have been too much. Best not to disgrace the classics with cheap evocations.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RC7 wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    going off of what you guys were saying above I would like if they did more classic bond quotes like at the end of SPECTRE in the db5 he could have said we have all the time in the world or something like that.

Yep, don't know why they left that line out.

I'm glad they did. A clumsy riff on a masterpiece.

This. To utilize so many nods, just to wrap up the entire film with a line from OHMSS would've been way too much.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    going off of what you guys were saying above I would like if they did more classic bond quotes like at the end of SPECTRE in the db5 he could have said we have all the time in the world or something like that.

Precisely.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I heard from Ajb that Floris have. When contacted and have already supplied their products to Bond 25. Specifically, they said it would be in the new movie.
    I heard from Ajb that Floris have. When contacted and have already supplied their products to Bond 25. Specifically, they said it would be in the new movie.
    Are you referring to the fragrance people? Seems slightly redundant, since we don't have Smellovision yet.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Are you referring to the fragrance people? Seems slightly redundant, since we don't have Smellovision yet.

On screen product placement?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    JET007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

On screen product placement?
    Yes, that would make sense actually.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Yes the fragrance company. A highly trusted member who knows a prop guy said they got a large shipment in for the new movie.
    Hmm. Very interesting turn of events over these past few weeks. From zero to something at least.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Not to mention that it would have essentially been saying, "In the next movie Blofeld's going to kill Swann and then Bond is going to get revenge." It would be guaranteeing that the next film would be the story that everyone can see coming from a mile away. A story that I hope we don't get.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883

Not to mention that it would have essentially been saying, "In the next movie Blofeld's going to kill Swann and then Bond is going to get revenge." It would be guaranteeing that the next film would be the story that everyone can see coming from a mile away. A story that I hope we don't get.
    I'm pretty sure we won't get the story everyone is expecting. That's not the way EON has been operating. It's a parallel universe Blofeld this time out imho. Vesper & M standing in for Tracy. So if they go back to this well (and I sincerely hope they won't), they'll probably tweak it.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 6,844
    Why is everyone frustrated when DB5 makes an appearance? It's like wanting Bond to stop using the PPK or never wear a tux again.

I don't think it's the same really (although honestly I wouldn't care less if Bond ditched the ppk for something more modern either). The DB5 was Sean Connery's car so the producers purposely decided to leave it in the past and create new icons (like the underwater lotus). That was until the current lot decided to bring it back over and over again. I don't get any sort of fanboy thrill from seeing it anymore. It's played out at this point.

I'd like then to do something similar for the next Bond in terms of differentiating him actually. Different brands, different car, no shaken not stirred, etc. Set him apart from Craig in the same way Cubby set Moore apart from Connery.

Precisely. Bond should move forward and shouldn't be limited to living in the shadow of or constantly referring back to the 60s. The essence of Bond is more than a drink, a car, and a gun, but if you reduce him to such, as we've seen over the past couple films, you make hollow the idea of the character and no amount of forced backstory or navel-gazing will conceal that.

Work within established and much loved elements of the formula, like the opening gunbarrel, the PTS, the main titles, receiving gadgets from Q, exotic locations, colorful villains, all the finer things in life. But from there, let creativity reign. That is what will give the Bond films the life they need.

As livingroyale mentioned, Moore insisted on drinking bourbon and smoking cigars in L&LD so as to differentiate his Bond from Connery's, and tananka pointed out that Brosnan switched from the traditional PPK to the P99 for his last three films. Good moves both. Why does Bond need to drink a vodka martini, shaken not stirred, every film? It's really not even a particularly good drink, and Fleming's Bond consumed at least as much bourbon and gin as he did vodka. Make Bond a gin man for a few films, or bring him back to bourbon. The important thing is that he's a snob and he likes his drinks prepared a very particular way. He establishes himself as someone who knows what he wants and knows how to get it—not someone who hasn't branched out from the same bad cocktail he's been consuming for over 50 years.
    The important thing is that he's a snob and he likes his drinks prepared a very particular way. He establishes himself as someone who knows what he wants and knows how to get it—not someone who hasn't branched out from the same bad cocktail he's been consuming for over 50 years.
    This is the key point, and I truly hope they focus on it going forward. It's one of the features that differentiates him from the run of the mill punks chasing his crown in the crowded spy field.
    My crystallball tells me you will all be disappointed in Bond 25. Especially those that hated Spectre. I can see it now. Clear as day.

Just saying; prepare yourselves for another Spectre.

SharkBait wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Yea we can see it coming but I think it's a story they has to be told.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    SharkBait wrote: »
    My crystallball tells me you will all be disappointed in Bond 25. Especially those that hated Spectre. I can see it now. Clear as day.

I know, what a mistake! I know what you mean.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I won't be disappointed. :D
    Other than QoS I haven't been disspointed in a Craig Bond film yet
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I wouldn't mind either. As long as D.C. is playing Bond I don't care if we get another SPECTRE.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    They won't be doing another SP. As @bondjames pointed out, EoN has a knack of bouncing back after weaker entries. Babs, apart from some of our bitching on this website, actually knows what she's doing!
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Other than QoS I haven't been disspointed in a Craig Bond film yet

It will grow on you in time,believe me.
    How often is a Bond actors last entry one of their best?

Exactly.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    How often is a Bond actors last entry one of their best?
    George Lazenby. ;)
    Exactly.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Licence to Kill was also Tim's best and final entry.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 8,087
    So in other words, the two actors with the shortest tenures represented the greatest probability of ending on a high? Yeah, you're right...
    Murdock wrote: »
    Licence to Kill was also Tim's best and final entry.
    Totally....so much better than that 'other' film.

• Yes, Lazenby and Dalton ended with their best, and Moore had the good fortune of ending with my favorite, even if that is far from a universally held opinion. Connery, Brosnan, and Craig (until further notice) all finished with their weakest IMO, though mileage of others may vary.