No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    jake24 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The DB5 driving off into the distance with CraigBond at the wheel and Big Ben in the distance should be its final scene,and im beginning to think it should be Craig's as well.
    Craig's Bond riding off in a hot air balloon, escaping an exploding Garden of Death with the Bond theme blasting in the background is my personal choice.

+1.
    Dubrovnik has some old castles by the coast. Would be nice to use one of those.

Hmm old castles? Kind of a nice coincidence that Blofelds lair in the novel YOLT is a castle
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    RC7 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Why is everyone frustrated when DB5 makes an appearance? It's like wanting Bond to stop using the PPK or never wear a tux again.

It's not.
    It has been since at least the 1980s when The Living Daylights was marketed under the shadows of a promotional poster featuring the DB5.

This makes no sense.

The DB5 isn't comparable to the PPK or Tux.
    Look, I don't quite know how to tell you this but in this rising significance of pop culture, whenever someone mentions Aston Martin DB5, the average joe instantly thinks James Bond just as they do with the PPK and the tux. Ever since the 80s, way before Eon decided to start promoting the DB5 as Bond's personal artillery, the general public always associated the car with them.

Sure, we the "true fans" who know the character as well as interpret his persona deeper than what the normal audience would do, will always say "Bond wasn't equipped with the DB5 in the novels, it was a Bentley." Yeah, that Bentley. Or the Beretta 418 that was the main sidearm of the man in the first six novels but nobody mentions them. They're not as significant as the DB5 is. I don't know, blame Goldfinger if you hate the vehicle. Just as tanaka up there pointed out, the car has been used as Bond's personal transportation since the 90s both in the Brosnan era of films, and the Raymond Benson novels. The entire media classes the car as James Bond's car. Nobody mentions the Lotus but the fans of the films. No one even remembers the BMWs anymore.

Ever since then, every spy spoof and/or imitator always tries to replicate the spirit of DB5 in some way. An example is Fynn McMissile in Cars 2 or the JB700 in Grand Theft Auto V. That's only two of a hundred. And I'm not talking about the Italian B-Movies made in the 1960s, yet, or The Return of the Man from UNCLE pilot.

Call it balderdash or whatever you may. DB5 is as significant as the PPK and tuxedo is in pop culture's identification of what it's associated with.

But, here's the thing. I'm not saying we should feature the DB5 in every movie. Heck, once per cycle of 4-5 entry would be enough of a span. It's just that it's Bond's now. Pop culture insisted it thanks to Goldfinger's popularity to this day, which the series has been trying to replicate the iconic soul of, ever since, and have not achieved yet.
    Oh i agree that the DB5 shouldnt be totally retired,a 4-5 film cycle sounds good to me...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Nobody would miss the DB5 though (unless someone wants to admit to it here and now).

I think some of us would miss the other tropes (and have).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd miss it. Like many hundreds I assume around think, the DB5 is the god of all the Bond cars.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'd miss it. Like many hundreds I assume around think, the DB5 is the god of all the Bond cars.
    Agreed.

I'm in the camp who thought it was given a great send-off in SKYFALL. But, controversially, they brought it back. While I don't think it was all that necessary, the car is arguably one of the nicest motor vehicles produced in the last 60 years. It is a car that I myself never tire of seeing, and one that I would miss if it was absent for an entire tenure.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    That surprises me. I sit corrected.

I didn't realize it was so endearing. I'm a huge car nut, but it means nothing to me. Its heyday was in the 60's, although I did like its use in GE against the far more modern Ferrari - it made that scene different to the typical chases - more inventive. I could live with it in CR/SF (due to the narrative aspect) but found it redundant in SP (unless its purpose was to signal Craig's swansong in the last scene).
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Look, I don't quite know how to tell you this but in this rising significance of pop culture, whenever someone mentions Aston Martin DB5, the average joe instantly thinks James Bond.

Quite simply, it doesn't need to be in any Bond films from here on out. Moore redefined the role after Connery and did it on his own terms. The current need to keep rolling out this (albeit beautiful) relic has diminished it's aura with each passing film. The final scene in SP is, quite frankly, embarrassing. People will always connect the two, but it doesn't need flagging up every other film. Leave it be.
    But, here's the thing. I'm not saying we should feature the DB5 in every movie. Heck, once per cycle of 4-5 entry would be enough of a span.

How about never? It doesn't define Bond and never has. It was an icon, but these days it feels incongruous and worst of all signals a complete lack of faith in originality. If the film is banger no one would give a shit if it featured a DB5 or not.
    Pop culture insisted it thanks to Goldfinger's popularity to this day, which the series has been trying to replicate the iconic soul of, ever since, and have not achieved yet.

You don't evoke the soul those films by copying them. You have to find spirit in the narrative and the characters and the locales and the music. Plonking in a DB5 is the opposite.
  • edited February 2017 Posts: 9,770
    A few things I want to point out

1. Hardy as 007 would be fantastic but he is 38 (I think) so if he started in 4 years at bond 26 and 42 I wouldn't mind it honestly

2. Craig returning was one of those news items that seemed obvious to me he did sign a two film contract post skyfall so it seems obvious (if all the news is right) Craig will be back

3. Fall 2018 is likely definitly likely and unlike last time where we knew everything I wouldn't be surprised if this time they are keeping things super quiet on purpose

4. I would guess Bond 25 has it's writers and if I had to throw my 2 cents in Jez Butterworth and Steven Knight (I wouldn't be surpised if it was Purvis Wade and Knight as well but considering they said they have no idea how to write bond 25 unless that was mis direction...)
    Jez is obvious having worked on the last two films (uncredited on skyfall and credited on Spectre) he likely wrote out a draft and even a first draft before a second person came in (either Knight or Matt Webber I believe his name is) this bit of new will likely be comfimed in March/april when MGM announces they will distribute Bond 25 them selves OR announce who their partner will be)

5. Mendes is likely returning as is Newman and sadly bond 25 is likely going to be another one word titled film either Blofeld or Shatterhand I would prefer Blofeld because at least that is a different fist letter lol but the days of hoping for The Property of a Lady (which considering Bond's love of Swann would make sense and it would bring the Craig era full circle Starting his tenure on 2 Fleming titles that no one though would be used and then ending his tenure on two Fleming titles Spectre and The Property of a Lady no one thought would be used) are behind us all sadly...

over all I am expecting right now Shatterhand (Bond 25) to sit comfortably in the middle of the pack like Skyfall and Spectre not the worst bond films not the best just right in the middle.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Wherever they film it, please, please EON...

No More:
    Mendes
    Scandinavian drama-esque cinematography
    Purvis and Wade
    "Going rogue"
    The Mi6 team being involved in any action ala 24
    Anything personal for Bond
    Major action scenes in London/Britain

I would love to see a nice standalone mission, with no personal angst for Bond. A lighter tone, I honestly dont think I can take a grim take on the franchise for the 5th film in a row. Let Craig relax and actually look like he's enjoying himself a bit.

Please EON....
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Wherever they film it, please, please EON...

No More:
    Scandinavian drama-esque cinematography
    I never considered that before. There is a bit of a dreary Wallander'esque aspect to some of SP, now that you mention it.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    A few things I want to point out

1. Hardy as 007 would be fantastic but he is 38 (I think) so if he started in 4 years at bond 26 and 42 I wouldn't mind it honestly

2. Craig returning was one of those news items that seemed obvious to me he did sign a two film contract post skyfall so it seems obvious (if all the news is right) Craig will be back

3. Fall 2018 is likely definitly likely and unlike last time where we knew everything I wouldn't be surprised if this time they are keeping things super quiet on purpose

4. I would guess Bond 25 has it's writers and if I had to throw my 2 cents in Jez Butterworth and Steven Knight (I wouldn't be surpised if it was Purvis Wade and Knight as well but considering they said they have no idea how to write bond 25 unless that was mis direction...)
    Jez is obvious having worked on the last two films (uncredited on skyfall and credited on Spectre) he likely wrote out a draft and even a first draft before a second person came in (either Knight or Matt Webber I believe his name is) this bit of new will likely be comfimed in March/april when MGM announces they will distribute Bond 25 them selves OR announce who their partner will be)

5. Mendes is likely returning as is Newman and sadly bond 25 is likely going to be another one word titled film either Blofeld or Shatterhand I would prefer Blofeld because at least that is a different fist letter lol but the days of hoping for The Property of a Lady (which considering Bond's love of Swann would make sense and it would bring the Craig era full circle Starting his tenure on 2 Fleming titles that no one though would be used and then ending his tenure on two Fleming titles Spectre and The Property of a Lady no one thought would be used) are behind us all sadly...

over all I am expecting right now Shatterhand (Bond 25) to sit comfortably in the middle of the pack like Skyfall and Spectre not the worst bond films not the best just right in the middle.

There was a rumour that Purvis, Wade and Knight submitted a treatment which was rejected.
    Add Newman to that 'please get rid of....' wishlist....
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Or this. See for yourself, how and if that is telling. I suppose, its more likely for one of his other films.
    That's Wendell Brown, Esquire senior fashion editor. Maybe an articler or cover?

Thanks for sharing! Craig looks great in that first picture.
    I believe he has an Aqua Terra 41.5mm on his wrist. Likely his own.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I believe it is Steven soderbergh.
    Interesting...looks like the BOND25 bandwagon may start to roll along soon....
    The DB5 driving off into the distance with CraigBond at the wheel and Big Ben in the distance should be its final scene,and im beginning to think it should be Craig's as well.
    Craig's Bond riding off in a hot air balloon, escaping an exploding Garden of Death with the Bond theme blasting in the background is my personal choice.

I trust you can handle this contraption Q.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

Interesting. In this article from the BBC, also posted today, NH says:

Our allotted interview slot is almost up. But there is just time for the obligatory James Bond question.

Does Harris - who played Moneypenny opposite Daniel Craig's 007 in Skyfall and Spectre - know when the next film will start shooting, or whether Craig will return?

"I genuinely know nothing," says the actress with practised ease. "The reality is everybody's waiting on Daniel.

"He's the only person who knows what's going to happen. I think everyone's just waiting for him to make a decision."

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm sick of seeing the DB5. That was the car of the Connery era. Lazenby had the Aston Martin DBS, Moore the Lotus Esprit/Esprit Turbo, Dalton the Aston Martin V8, Brosnan the BMW Z3, 750iL, Z8 & Aston Martin Vanquish, and Craig has had the Aston Martin DBS and DB10. It should not have been brought back in the Brosnan era, let alone further being crowbarred into the Craig era (with reasoning that makes no sense). It's a much admired car (though not by me personally) but leave it be in the past. People want to enjoy it, go and watch Goldfinger and Thunderball. Last year, Aston Martin produced the DB11, that should be the car of Bond #25.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    "The reality is everybody's waiting on Daniel.

"He's the only person who knows what's going to happen. I think everyone's just waiting for him to make a decision."
    Bloody sad to read this, if it's true. An actor (no matter who he is) shouldn't hold things up, so I can only hope Harris is wrong with her remarks.
    I'm sick of seeing the DB5. That was the car of the Connery era. Lazenby had the Aston Martin DBS, Moore the Lotus Esprit/Esprit Turbo, Dalton the Aston Martin V8, Brosnan the BMW Z3, 750iL, Z8 & Aston Martin Vanquish, and Craig has had the Aston Martin DBS and DB10. It should not have been brought back in the Brosnan era, let alone further being crowbarred into the Craig era (with reasoning that makes no sense). It's a much admired car (though not by me personally) but leave it be in the past. People want to enjoy it, go and watch Goldfinger and Thunderball. Last year, Aston Martin produced the DB11, that should be the car of Bond #25.

Spot on Major.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I just don't believe it. I think Craig, Broccoli and all the major players involved know exactly what's going on; they have a timetable in mind and are simply holding their cards close to their collective chest.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I don't believe that it's Craig who's holding everything up. It's MGM.
  • RC7RC7

Spot on Major.

+1
    What's the MGM hold up?
    The DB5, should it return, definitely should not be the main vehicle for B25. The DB11 should definitely fill that role.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    The DB5, should it return, definitely should not be the main vehicle for B25. The DB11 should definitely fill that role.

Yes please.