No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

People complain when a composer tries to sound like Barry, and they also complain when they sound original and different.

In my opinion Barry was amazing but he is overhyped. His scores ended up being repetitive and same-y.

Can you give me a few examples where Barry was repetitive ?

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    NicNac wrote: »
    Will you buffoons stop talking about the film score in this thread?

Usually we try to keep threads on topic but as far as this B25 News thread is concerned we gave up about 550 pages ago.
    Not to worry. I've been filling your place for 550 pages and counting.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    People complain when a composer tries to sound like Barry, and they also complain when they sound original and different.

In my opinion Barry was amazing but he is overhyped. His scores ended up being repetitive and same-y.

Another thread, chaps.
    ive been saying that but gave up !
    I think Newman's orchestra and brass sound sounds way better than Arnold's. Arnold did too much effort to sound like Barry but had none of the brilliant melodies Barry could create and ruined everything by ugly artificial technosounds.

I listen to every Bond soundtrack till Licence To Kill and Skyfall and Spectre.

Well he does repeat themes. But that is not the same as being repetitive. I'm not sure everyone sees it like that.

He represents 2 or 3 main ideas throughout a soundtrack in numerous ways. It is quite a skill.

But even in OHMSS, where you instantly think of the 2 main themes, there are many other separate tracks in there, such as Journey To Blofeld's Hideaway.
    On a side note, Gary Oldman turned down the role of oberhauser in Spectre.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    vzok wrote: »

Well he does repeat themes. But that is not the same as being repetitive. I'm not sure everyone sees it like that.

He represents 2 or 3 main ideas throughout a soundtrack in numerous ways. It is quite a skill.

But even in OHMSS, where you instantly think of the 2 main themes, there are many other separate tracks in there, such as Journey To Blofeld's Hideaway.
    He picks a few very memorable melodies and then emphasizes them throughout a film. It's what gives his films a distinct character. The trick is to find a memorable melody which fits the mood and scene. That's the real skill and he was a master at it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    On a side note, Gary Oldman turned down the role of oberhauser in Spectre.

What?? Damn!!
    He dodged a bullet there. Smart move imho.
    I like Waltz, but Oldman is Oldman.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Had Oberhauser been somewhat as Oldman's Dracula character in terms of persona, I am sure Oldman would've accepted the role. But, Oberfeld was a laughing stock in the final film. Useless.
    I bet Oldman saw the script and turned it down..he is very choosy in roles now as he is getting older....gutted...we need him in a Bond film somewhere...
    bondjames wrote: »

He picks a few very memorable melodies and then emphasizes them throughout a film. It's what gives his films a distinct character. The trick is to find a memorable melody which fits the mood and scene. That's the real skill and he was a master at it.

Some of the ways he "reuses" his themes is subtle. FRWL has some great variations. "Tanya Meets Klebb" flirts with the main theme on and off. "James Bond With Bongos" changes the Bond theme sound completely. Still he introduces new themes - 007 and a theme for SPECTRE.
    Oldman as an older Bond when Craig quits.
    I bet Oldman saw the script and turned it down..he is very choosy in roles now as he is getting older....gutted...we need him in a Bond film somewhere...
    Yep!Yep!Yep!

Bond as an Old Man.

Now now Dr Thunderfingerer...

[-X

Bond as an Old Man.

Yes, exactly! Anyone who doubts he would nail it?
    He is a great actor,and so cockney as they come...his ability to change his accents is excellent.
    Oldman could make an interesting Q in a serious mold.
    I think he is more a high ranking official or a villain/ally....he needs a 1 film blast.
    Like I said, he could play anyone, except a girl.
    I think he is more a high ranking official or a villain/ally....he needs a 1 film blast.
    Good point. I could see him making a major impression in a film, like Giannini & Armendáriz did.
    Oldman is certainly one of my favorite actors of the current era, and would be thrilled if he ended up in a Bond film.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    I'd be happy if they recast the role with Oldman. Christoph can't play anything straight. He only works with quirky filmmakers.
    A stand-alone film with Oldman as a villain would be brilliant....Blofeld needs a fresh re-entry,probably in Bond 26/27
    If Oldman were Blofeld in B25 instead of Waltz, I can honestly say I wouldn't complain.
    I'm sure the Bond fans have been targeting Oldman for 20 years, now. So, why didn't they get him a part in a film? The man is distinctively talented.