No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Germanlady, thanks for sharing!

Daniel seems to be supporting and meeting with his go-to Bond brands a lot lately, with this Omega and Brunello Cucinelli news coming around the same time. Dan wore some great Brunello Cucinelli pieces in SP, and even dresses in the brand personally, wearing one of their suits to a visit he took to an Omega factory in Switzerland, so it's not hard to imagine that he's touching base with those behind the fashion name again.

He could be seeing the NYC Brunello Cucinelli clothiers for personal reasons, but the way it's being publicized in the brand's PR, with heavy references to Bond, makes me hope there's more to it than that, possibly involving preliminary Bond 25 work. The hypothesis could be formed, considering his planned trips to high-profile Bond brands at this time.

I wouldn't be surprised if we soon read about a planned summer visit of his to Aston Martin's main factory. ;)
    They better not be using another DB5 in BOND25 ....waaaay overused .
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    They better not be using another DB5 in BOND25 ....waaaay overused .

We'll see the DB5 again in the Craig, at the very least. If it gets driven, who knows.
    ~X(
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Why is everyone frustrated when DB5 makes an appearance? It's like wanting Bond to stop using the PPK or never wear a tux again.
    Why is everyone frustrated when DB5 makes an appearance? It's like wanting Bond to stop using the PPK or never wear a tux again.

I never really minded it being presented as Bond's 'personal' car as in the Brosnan films and Benson novels. Feels quite Fleming in a way, like with his 1933 personal Bentley.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I never really minded it being presented as Bond's 'personal' car as in the Brosnan films and Benson novels. Feels quite Fleming in a way, like with his 1933 personal Bentley.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • RC7RC7

It's not.

• All the sign are that Craig will be back in the role sooner rather than later. Back in October we had Daniel Craig say he'd miss being Bond "if" he left. We had nothing but 100% support from EON / Barbara Broccoli for Craig. They have, effectively, given Craig "time off" for good behaviour, letting him film a mini-series, a movie and star in a Broadway play. Now we're getting reports of filming likely to be in Croatia and Craig meeting with Omega. Yes, I agree, the signs are good. I am heartened by what I'm hearing, even if there is no director or writer announced yet. Sounds like Craig WILL be Bond one more time (at least). It's just a question of whether we get it in November 2018 or November 2019. I'm hoping it's 2018 which is more than acheiveable. Fingers crossed!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    He was talking about acting, not Bond specifically.
    RC7 wrote: »

It's not.
    It has been since at least the 1980s when The Living Daylights was marketed under the shadows of a promotional poster featuring the DB5.
    He was talking about acting, not Bond specifically.

No, he meant Bond. When asked further he called Bond the best job he's ever had, and stated that "if" he left the role, he'd miss it terribly.
  • Why is everyone frustrated when DB5 makes an appearance? It's like wanting Bond to stop using the PPK or never wear a tux again.

I don't think it's the same really (although honestly I wouldn't care less if Bond ditched the ppk for something more modern either). The DB5 was Sean Connery's car so the producers purposely decided to leave it in the past and create new icons (like the underwater lotus). That was until the current lot decided to bring it back over and over again. I don't get any sort of fanboy thrill from seeing it anymore. It's played out at this point.

I'd like then to do something similar for the next Bond in terms of differentiating him actually. Different brands, different car, no shaken not stirred, etc. Set him apart from Craig in the same way Cubby set Moore apart from Connery.

I don't think it's the same really (although honestly I wouldn't care less if Bond ditched the ppk for something more modern either). The DB5 was Sean Connery's car so the producers purposely decided to leave it in the past and create new icons (like the underwater lotus). That was until the current lot decided to bring it back over and over again. I don't get any sort of fanboy thrill from seeing it anymore. It's played out at this point.

I'd like then to do something similar for the next Bond in terms of differentiating him actually. Different brands, different car, no shaken not stirred, etc. Set him apart from Craig in the same way Cubby set Moore apart from Connery.

Yeah I quite liked Bond having the P99.
  • A new report from Page Six seems to reiterate that Craig will return:
    http://pagesix.com/2017/02/22/daniel-craig-loves-money-more-than-he-hates-james-bond/

Not surprising at all.

He just wanted a creative breather from 007 - but all the stars were aligning well in advance.

He has been given the golden treatment by EON; including a producer credit, any director he wants, Barbara even produces his independent vanity projects. He'll return for certain. I just hope we get word on the director/screenwriter soon. Especially with talk of Croatia being a potential location.

What are the factors that are stopping Eon making an announcement on the release date? Is it the MGM situation? I can only see that as being the inhibitor behind the delay (aside from the Craig situation). It's nearly been two years without solid news and this is massively out of character for Eon....

Craig looks better now than ever. I'm enthusiastic about him returning - here's a snap from last year at a UN conference with him looking particularly Bondian.

DSC_6825_rs.jpg

Though I did get excited about the prospect of the role getting recast. I've recently started watching Taboo and Tom Hardy has such a natural screen charisma and swagger for the part. Ideally, I'd rather see him in the role than Craig at this point. But it's Daniel's part to loose.

maxresdefault.jpg

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Dubrovnik has some old castles by the coast. Would be nice to use one of those.
    Hardy is my #1 choice as well,and he is openly keen on the role....Craig,to me,isnt ageing well.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

It's not.
    It has been since at least the 1980s when The Living Daylights was marketed under the shadows of a promotional poster featuring the DB5.

This makes no sense.

The DB5 isn't comparable to the PPK or Tux.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Personally I don't care what he's driving, just so long as they don't make another exclusive custom made car that is poorly used; and sends the budget skyrocketing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2017 Posts: 23,883
    As I've said before, I've always preferred Roger's Lotus to the DB5. The Aston wasn't as annoying during the Brosnan era because the car was usually just a part of a scene (he was going from A to B or it was parked somewhere).

Since the Mendes era it has been used almost as a 'wank' moment, starting with SF. I'll admit that it worked in that film (at least every time I watched the film in the theatre) but in SP we got it twice. It's like hitting someone over the head with a bad joke because you got them to laugh once. It's now become as overused as all the tropes they temporarily got rid of for CR. Time to dump it. Forever.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited February 2017 Posts: 3,277

There are any gardens (of death) nearby? ;)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    A new report from Page Six seems to reiterate that Craig will return:
    http://pagesix.com/2017/02/22/daniel-craig-loves-money-more-than-he-hates-james-bond/

That headline's not sensationalist at all haha
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I like the DB5 and the Lotus. But I'd be happy for Bond to drive a Bentley. The car must always be prestige though.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

There are any gardens (of death) nearby? :D

Class.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694

There are any gardens (of death) nearby? ;)

@marketto007, I was just going to say something similar. Have you gotten any whispers about Bond 25 on your end?
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    @marketto007, I was just going to say something similar. Have you gotten any whispers about Bond 25 on your end?

Unfortunately not Brady.

The DB5 driving off into the distance with CraigBond at the wheel and Big Ben in the distance should be its final scene,and im beginning to think it should be Craig's as well.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The DB5 driving off into the distance with CraigBond at the wheel and Big Ben in the distance should be its final scene,and im beginning to think it should be Craig's as well.
    Craig's Bond riding off in a hot air balloon, escaping an exploding Garden of Death with the Bond theme blasting in the background is my personal choice.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 28,694
    It's too beautiful a car to get all hot and bothered over it. We saw it in scraps, then Bond drives off with it, that's it. Not a big deal. In SF it had a thematic function, but in SP it had no more presence than it has in the Brosnan era, and way less than Connery's in both films, where Bond only fires guns with it in SF.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If it returns again they'll confirm to me that they're out of ideas, and not just bullets.

Hopefully we've seen the back of it in that last scene in SP. Let's a get a DB11 in there and move forward.