No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Whishaw is good, Harris and Fiennes serviceable and Kinnear awful
    Getafix wrote: »

I'd agree with this. However Kinnear is a good actor, just his Tanner really has nothing to do, he was completely unnecessary in Spectre.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2016 Posts: 8,127
    Whatever happens, I think they'll keep Ben as Q. Maybe the others aren't quite as certain, but Whishaw has really made the role his own.

By the way, I had an interesting thought just yesterday. Do you think that Brexit and Trump might inspire a more stoic, machismo, driven interpretation with the next Bond actor? After all, Bond is a cultural sponge, and there seems to be a huge cultural shift happening at the moment.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,756

Agree. Kinnear's character is quite boring. Not sure why people like him. I would even prefer Harris leave too, her chemistry with Craig always seemed forced to me. Craig and Winshaw on the other hand is a highlight.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Whatever happens, I think they'll keep Ben as Q. Maybe the others aren't quite as certain, but Whishaw has really made the role his own.

By the way, I had an interesting thought just yesterday. Do you think that Brexit and Trump might inspire a more stoic, machismo, driven interpretation with the next Bond actor? After all, Bond is a cultural sponge, and there seems to be a huge cultural shift happening at the moment.

Stoic and machismo, @Mendes? That would certainly rule out Turner.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Please... I'd rather this doesn't turn into a political argument...

I'd love a stoic and macho Bond, and definitely agree with the statement, but I'd rather the aforementioned event and the name doesn't trigger this into an argument...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I had speculated about this some months back on the American Election thread. I'm not sure about Bond (although Rog was the man in the 80's when they had older Reagan in charge) and it's difficult to be more macho than Craig. Having said that, I believe we certainly we will see a return to macho men in Hollywood. The age of the 'metro' hero may be coming to an end, and Rambo style Slys, Arnies, Liams, Bruces and Mels may soon be back in vogue.
    Craig's Bond isn't particularly that macho... He looks it, but his persona isn't.

I'd love a stoic and macho Bond, and definitely agree with the statement, but I'd rather the aforementioned event and the name doesn't trigger this into an argument...

I wasn't meaning it to, but Bond does seem to follow trends and it's hard to avoid the impact this is having. I'm not expressing a political view either way, just asking if people think it could have and effect on Bond in the future.

I wasn't meaning it to, but Bond does seem to follow trends and it's hard to avoid the impact this is having. I'm not expressing a political view either way, just asking if people think it could have and effect on Bond in the future.
    I know, mate, I fully understand. But, it's better if we don't mention these names... Otherwise, we know how the users in this site operate... :))
    I agree @Mendes4Lyfe. It's inevitable that there will be an impact on Hollywood and even news media. It may take some time to play out, but it's coming.
    Hopefully we'll see another Sean Connery, then.
    Exactly my hope. More babes too.
    bondjames wrote: »
    And bikini-equipped Bond Girls. Bring back the exotic sexiness in Bond films...
    Agree. They have to at least be more sexy than the new First Lady and that's a high bar right there.
    Agree. They have to at least be more sexy than the new First Lady and that's a high bar right there.
    Hear Hear! :D
    I had speculated about this some months back on the American Election thread. I'm not sure about Bond (although Rog was the man in the 80's when they had older Reagan in charge) and it's difficult to be more macho than Craig. Having said that, I believe we certainly we will see a return to macho men in Hollywood. The age of the 'metro' hero may be coming to an end, and Rambo style Slys, Arnies, Liams, Bruces and Mels may soon be back in vogue.

Yes, I think there is a legitimate argument that the Craig era was brought about as a reaction to 9/11 and the senseless war of that time. A flippant, irreverent Bond wouldn't have worked back then. What we are seeing is a change in direction of the culture, as happens from time to time, and it may take a new Bond actor to reflect that.

Yes, I think there is a legitimate argument that the Craig era was brought about as a reaction to 9/11 and the senseless war of that time. A flippant, irreverent Bond wouldn't have worked back then. What we are seeing is a change in direction of the culture, as happens from time to time, and it may take a new Bond actor to reflect that.
    Of course. The culture always leaves impact on anyone in its respectful era. Even Nolan's Batman trilogy was influenced by 9/11 as well as some spy sagas...

It's time for a change.
    Which is why Hardy is perfect for the next 007
    Nope.
    Craig's Bond isn't particularly that macho... He looks it, but his persona isn't.

That is precisely true, which is why perhaps the perfect successor to Craig could be someone much slimmer, but with the machiavellian mind. That would make a nice contrast.

That is precisely true, which is why perhaps the perfect successor to Craig could be someone much slimmer, but with the machiavellian mind. That would make a nice contrast.
    Sean Connery was slim. But, the man intimidated the hell out of his opponents.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I think Fiennes is contracted or optioned or whatever for a third round as M. I'm not sure. Don't know about the others.

If they are wiping slate clean is that to distance from Mendes? Harris, Q, etc all from Mendes's casting I think.
    I surely hope so.
    I don't mind Fiennes but I wish they would just bring back Sir Miles.
    Anthony Hopkins would've been ideal for Sir Miles 15 years ago...
    Anthony Hopkins would've been ideal for Sir Miles 15 years ago...

Yes agreed.
  • I'm sure Harris didn't mean her "They'll wipe the slate clean!" remark to be taken seriously since she was laughing when she said it and went on to elaborate that she believes the MI6 cast will be kept beyond Craig. It's still only her speculation, but it's something and she may have good reason to think that way.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

I'd agree with this. However Kinnear is a good actor, just his Tanner really has nothing to do, he was completely unnecessary in Spectre.

He's so drab and boring. He drags every scene down. Bond films shouldn't feature regular characters as charisma-less and grey as his Tanner. Silva should have bumped him off.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Kitchen had much less scenes by comparison and was infinitely better and more memorable than Kinnear. Kinnear's a good actor but his character is just woeful.