No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I never minded Kinnear, he is just there, not bothering anyone or the audience.
    He could as well be not there, it's no difference.
    So if the Scooby-Gang is kept for Bond 25 and he is in it as well, it's fine. He will once again make no impression at all.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He did have one good scene, though... In Skyfall, when he asks M how did Bond pass the test... His reaction to M's response made me chuckle.
    I never minded Kinnear, he is just there, not bothering anyone or the audience.
    He could as well be not there, it's no difference.
    So if the Scooby-Gang is kept for Bond 25 and he is in it as well, it's fine. He will once again make no impression at all.

I think the Wizard made this point - why waste screen time with this personality void when we could have more Bond. Or if not more Bond then more M, MP or Q instead. No one care remotely about Tanner. Kitchen at least was noticed. Kinnear just wastes screen time. His scenes with Bond are woeful - you just want him to get lost. Connery's Bond wouldn't have wasted his breath on a nobody like Kinnear's Tanner - life's too short. He would have studiously avoided him or got M to move him somewhere out of his way.
    I don't mind Kinnear, though I prefer Michael Kitchen. Actually, I picture the Tanner of the books somewhat like Bond himself. I think if Ralph hadn't been playing M, he'd might have made a decent Tanner.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I don't mind Kinnear, though I prefer Michael Kitchen. Actually, I picture the Tanner of the books somewhat like Bond himself. I think if Ralph hadn't been playing M, he'd might have made a decent Tanner.

I prefer Kitchen too, but I think he is too old to continue now. Once they rebooted they really needed to find someone to continue the legacy and I for one am pleased with the results.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Kitchen had much less scenes by comparison and was infinitely better and more memorable than Kinnear. Kinnear's a good actor but his character is just woeful.

This basically sums it up. Kinnear is a very good actor, but his Tanner is not written appropriately. Kitchen has 007's back, where Kinnear is M's bitch first and Bond's pal second. It's best exemplified in the scene at Q's lab in SP where Q is slipping Bond bullshit re. the smart blood as if Tanner is some sort of jobsworth and later in Tokyo. I don't like that interpretation. Tanner is supposed to be Bond's mate, above M, Q, MP... Etc they really need to get this right or don't bother with the character. Invent a new M bitch if necessary.
    No more members of the Scooby gang please. Although may be it would be interesting to feature Bond's secretary. Can't remember her name.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    No more members of the Scooby gang please. Although may be it would be interesting to feature Bond's secretary. Can't remember her name.

Loelia Ponsonby. Always been of the mind they should've brought her into the Craig era instead of MP.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Poelia Ponsonby
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Lolita Poizenby.
    Pamela Lazenby
  • RC7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Kitchen had much less scenes by comparison and was infinitely better and more memorable than Kinnear. Kinnear's a good actor but his character is just woeful.

This basically sums it up. Kinnear is a very good actor, but his Tanner is not written appropriately. Kitchen has 007's back, where Kinnear is M's bitch first and Bond's pal second. It's best exemplified in the scene at Q's lab in SP where Q is slipping Bond bullshit re. the smart blood as if Tanner is some sort of jobsworth and later in Tokyo. I don't like that interpretation. Tanner is supposed to be Bond's mate, above M, Q, MP... Etc they really need to get this right or don't bother with the character. Invent a new M bitch if necessary.

My thoughts exactly! While I didn't mind Kinnear one bit in QOS and SF, I did find him a bit drabber than usual in SP, but what really bugged me was how quick Tanner was to rat Bond out to M in Tokyo. I suppose they must have figured they already had Moneypenny (and a quasi-reluctant Q) being Bond's buddies behind M's back so they had to throw somebody on M's side. And maybe it just came down to them needing to make the "24 hrs...48 hrs" humor in Q's lab work (though I think that would have worked fine even if Tanner hadn't been there). Whatever the case, they clearly defined Kinnear's Tanner as no true friend—nor even a half-arsed pal—of Bond's. Which is a shame. Didn't like that turn.
    They were all suspicious of Mallory in Skyfall, how come Tanner himself turned tables on Bond and sided with M is beyond me. But, then again, in previous drafts, he was an unwilling traitor and committed suicide. Go figure.
  • No more members of the Scooby gang please. Although may be it would be interesting to feature Bond's secretary. Can't remember her name.

Loelia Ponsonby.

Poelia Ponsonby

Lolita Poizenby.

Pamela Lazenby

Her name is actually Pamela Isley. Always thought Uma Thurman would be a good fit. What do you chaps think about George Clooney for 007 someday?
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero: Sign me up! :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Clooney as Bond
    Arnie as M
    O'Donnell as Q
    Thurman as Moneypenny
    Silverstone as Tanner
    Berenice Tanner?
    Kitchen had the perfect scene to introduce his character in GE with some great dialogue - 'If I want sarcasm Mr Tanner, I'll talk to my children.'
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,447
    Tanner jr is not fan of Dench M and he found suport in Ralph Fienes M in the hate to her and Eve.
    He is stil is afraid for losing his job. He and Dench and a lot of people are naieve in Qos. He also thinking at the end of Qos that he trusted her again. But then his drinking in SF proof other wise. So he is testing his new "Friends".

The naive Tanner of QOS wil return i think. Fienes M is fan of Q and Bond.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I actually got the impression that Bond was more friendly with Villiers than he ever was with Kinnear's Tanner.
    Villiers at least had characteristics.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

But sadly he got fired apparently :( ..Tanner can be an interesting minor character if written right.

mcdonbb wrote: »

But sadly he got fired apparently :( ..Tanner can be an interesting minor character if written right.
    Tobias Menzies did play an anti-Villiers type of an MI6 officer in The Night Manager, though... Which makes me think what would have he become later on had he stayed. Not just a clumsy secretary, I'm guessing.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Villiers was a lot more interesting than Kinnear's Tanner.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Did they ever say why Villiers didn't come back?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Menzies is a great actor.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Did they ever say why Villiers didn't come back?

I don't think so.. I remember way long ago back on the MySpace days that Menzies was lamenting that Villiers wasn't returning in QoS, but no reason given.

Tanner wasn't in CR so I guess that just went back to using Tanner. I'm not sure.
    Let's not forget that Sam Mendes thinks that he's the reason they brought Tanner back. ;)
    Let's not forget that Sam Mendes thinks that he's the reason they brought Tanner back. ;)

Oh yeah lol.
  • Let's not forget that Sam Mendes thinks that he's the reason they brought Tanner back. ;)

Yes, Mendes's two biggest contributions to the series: drafting Bill Tanner into Quantum of Solace and the world's most expensive explosion. His name is printed in capital letters on both of those giant steps forward for the Bond legacy. ;)