No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If we were to assume that B25 is Craigs last hurrah, then I would be being to feel nervous that they would make a huge celebration film like DAD.

Bond 20 = Brosnan last film

Bond 25 = Craig last film
    I'd like to think that they wouldn't go down that route again. We just had a big anniversary film with Skyfall, and Spectre relied quite a bit on that kind of thing as well, so hopefully they wouldn't go that route for a third film in a row.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Agreed. Just make a good straightforward Bond film.
    Yes something relatively low key and modest. More like QOS and not shouting and pointing at itself saying 'im a classic'
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Exactly.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Getafix wrote: »
    Yes something relativwely low key and modest. More like QOS and not shouting and pointing at itself saying 'im a classic'

Agreed
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 199
    Wow. It's been a whole year since Spectre premiered and there has been exactly zero movement on Bond 25. Boy, Daniel Craig wasn't joking when he said "we" (meaning Babs, Wilson, et al) are tired / exhausted / burned out. I had expected to have had some news on Bond 25 from the producers / studio before the end of 2016, but it's now looking very unlikely. Who knows when we'll hear something. It could be a very long gap, maybe even 2020 - a 5 year gap between movies! Maybe longer. who knows. I would imagine investors and Sony chiefs are feeling anxious. I mean, Mission Impossible 6 will be out in 2018 so why is Bond so far behind? As a fan I have to say it's a bit disappointing not knowing when we'll get another Bond movie. Maybe the problem lies with EON and Barbara Brocoli? Maybe they've run out of ideas and have lost interest in the character in which case they should sell the rights or give it to someone who can reinvigorate the franchise. I know that's not going to happen but I think Bond fans deserve better. And yes, I know that makes me sound self-entitled, but fans of other franchises (Star Wars, Marvel, Fast Furious) get a regular fix of their movie drug. I guess I'm just going through withdrawal symptoms. Sigh.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    SonofSean wrote: »
    Wow. It's been a whole year since Spectre premiered and there has been exactly zero movement on Bond 25. Boy, Daniel Craig wasn't joking when he said "we" (meaning Babs, Wilson, et al) are tired / exhausted / burned out. I had expected to have had some news on Bond 25 from the producers / studio before the end of 2016, but it's now looking very unlikely. Who knows when we'll hear something. It could be a very long gap, maybe even 2020 - a 5 year gap between movies! Maybe longer. who knows. I would imagine investors and Sony chiefs are feeling anxious. I mean, Mission Impossible 6 will be out in 2018 so why is Bond so far behind? As a fan I have to say it's a bit disappointing not knowing when we'll get another Bond movie. Maybe the problem lies with EON and Barbara Brocoli? Maybe they've run out of ideas and have lost interest in the character in which case they should sell the rights or give it to someone who can reinvigorate the franchise. I know that's not going to happen but I think Bond fans deserve better. And yes, I know that makes me sound self-entitled, but fans of other franchises (Star Wars, Marvel, Fast Furious) get a regular fix of their movie drug. I guess I'm just going through withdrawal symptoms. Sigh.

Good post.

I think 2018 is out of the question at this point. I'm really hoping there is a development with the distributor soon and Craig makes up his mind whether he is going to return or not. If this keeps getting drawn out further, its possible we won't see another Bond film this decade, which would be a new low. 2019 is the last time they can wait if they want to continue the current continuity, I feel. If they wait any longer than that, no one will be remember what is happening with Blofeld or who Swan is. If they don't get to work before late 2018 with Bond 25, it looks like Craig will be leaving the franchise in the same fashion that Dalton did.

• Good post.

I think 2018 is out of the question at this point. I'm really hoping there is a development with the distributor soon and Craig makes up his mind whether he is going to return or not. If this keeps getting drawn out further, its possible we won't see another Bond film this decade, which would be a new low. 2019 is the last time they can wait if they want to continue the current continuity, I feel. If they wait any longer than that, no one will be remember what is happening with Blofeld or who Swan is. If they don't get to work before late 2018 with Bond 25, it looks like Craig will be leaving the franchise in the same fashion that Dalton did.

We're in limbo for sure. It really shouldn't take 4-5 years between installments (2 movies every decade!). This is way, way too long for any franchise. I love Craig and want to see him in Bond 25, but the longer it takes to make, the less likely it is he'll be back. Right now, I don't know if we'll be any the wiser this time next year - which would be a a huge mistake from EON.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    To my knowledge the real hold up is the distribution deal that hasn't progressed. I'm not buying this whole "we're tired" comment at least not in the sense of being exhausted because the producers and the team aren't working any harder than other properties out there that are putting out frequent and consistently good work.

I love Bond, always have and always will but this is ridiculous. In the past 16 years we've only had 5 Bond films and the majority of the 5 imo aren't that great at all. Bourne and MI have roughly the same amount of movies in the same amount of time and those two properties don't even have the same dedicated focus on output the way Bond does or at least used to. This really is disappointing and to be honest the only thing tired about Bond is their same old approach in doing things. They seriously need a cleanse of their creative team and get new, fresh and hungry talent on board and cut out all this self referencial, "look at me" rubbish that Mendes plagued the last 2 films with. It's not cool at all.

We have no Bond games and no Bond film in sight meanwhile every other property out there is flourishing. Bond is the cinematic OG and should be navigating itself with consistent and assured releases. The last couple of films aren't critical or financial flops; far from so it's just super frustrating that there's little to no news on traction in moving things forward on distribution and how exactly Bond's future is shaping up. Things are changing and changing very fast and it'll be a crying shame if Bond's relevance takes a huge hit because he's not the only one doing what he does and he's no longer the champion of awe and spectacle these days.

I'm really rooting for EoN to come out on top quickly and to get started on Bond 25 and to remind the world why Bond is Mr.Blockbuster but this waiting game really sucks right now.
  • edited November 2016 Posts: 15,818
    Perhaps this should be in the controversial opinions thread, but at the rate the new films are coming out, I think B25 could actually be the last Eon Bond film. There's only been 2 Bond films made in the 2010's. I can see then, one more in the 2020's. They seem to get exhausted after every film now, and wouldn't surprise me if they retire the Eon mantle altogether after B25. Especially if it's Craig's last.
    Why go thru the re-casting, re-booting process all over again after only four films? Let's say, at this point B25 comes out in 2020 or 2021? Craig retires and the next Bond wouldn't come out until 2025. 10 years after SP!!!!!! Wouldn't surprise me at this point.
    Of course that hunch that might not mean anything once MGM secures a deal with a new distributor. I'd like to feel pretty certain they wouldn't want just a one off film deal, so there's still hope.
    I still say a solid plan should be made to secure future Bond films at regular intervals, just as Cubby had done. BTW, in all the interviews with Cubby promoting the Bonds, did he ever once whine about being too exhausted?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited November 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Lest we forget Gregg Wilson is being groomed to take more of a role. He's the fresh eyes generation. I don't think Bond is dying ..maybe on sabbatical but not dying.

Again I get impression SP was an emotional draining experience. Not a good one.

And the distribution is out of EoN's hands.

And what do we know? Wilson is a lawyer so who knows what's happening right now?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @to the right: has Babs ever complained about being exhausted? I know Craig said "we", but has Babs ever come out and whined about exhaustion.

If so, I haven't read it.

This is a distribution game, hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, and, unfortunately, it's not EON who can speed this process up.

P
    peter wrote: »
    @to the right: has Babs ever complained about being exhausted? I know Craig said "we", but has Babs ever come out and whined about exhaustion.

If so, I haven't read it.

This is a distribution game, hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, and, unfortunately, it's not EON who can speed this process up.

P

Come of think of it, maybe not. I do feel I read shortly after QOS, maybe it was Michael mentioned they were tired and not thinking about the next one.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I bet they are tired of waiting on MGM. ;)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Due to Ben Hur being a massive flop, MGM has reported a loss of $48 million. Can't be good for Bond.
  • I once heard it said that when it comes to fashion, a woman needs to look different every day, whereas a man just needs to look good every day.

So it goes with Bond, I think, and this is the source of lots of the franchise's recent problems. I'd argue that you just need to make Bond movies good - you don't need to reinvent the wheel every time.

I think EON have backed themselves into a hell of a corner with SP, and this is the double-edged sword of swinging for the fences and trying to make 'different' rather than just 'good' movies lately.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    At last, MGM CEO Gary Barber confirms that "Bond 25" is in development and will be released, along with other franchise films, "in the next few years".

Heard here at 7:42:

http://www.mgm.com/#/about/investor-relations

Yaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited November 2016 Posts: 1,755
    finally!
    Edited for language.
    Please try and stick to forum rules
    jake24 wrote: »
    At last, MGM CEO Gary Barber confirms that "Bond 25" is in development and will be released, along with other franchise films, "in the next few years".

Heard here at 7:42:

http://www.mgm.com/#/about/investor-relations

Next few years? Could he have not specified which one?
    I'm guessing that means we should have it before 2020.
    I'm still hopeful for 2018.
    Ok who is developing it?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'm still hopeful for 2018.
    Me as well, and IMO it's still doable.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So Barber basically said something without saying anything. It's in development? Bond films are always in development in varying degrees...and the next few years? So in other words he has no clue when Bond 25 will be released.
    I'm thrilled B25 to hear is at least in development. No more limbo. Positivity from here on out!
    doubleoego wrote: »
    So Barber basically said something without saying anything. It's in development? Bond films are always in development in varying degrees...and the next few years? So in other words he has no clue when Bond 25 will be released.
    It means that Bond 25's production is no longer stagnant. This is the first time it gets a mention in one of these calls.
  • It's hard to get excited by this "news" I'm afraid. My reaction is the same as doubleoego's. "In the next few years" could mean 2019 or even 2020, which we've all suspected was the most likely possibility anyway.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    :))

That is news??

Laughable.

That's like saying snow will fall sometime during winter.

Sheesh.