LOL. Always the pessimist, eh?

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2018 Posts: 45,489
    What hand injury? You mean Blake?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    What hand injury? You mean Blake?

Yes.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Can t see how that would interfere with B25 personally.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm not too familiar with how this works, but my understanding is we have another 5 months delay before shooting begins again, with only half of the film shot to date. Presumably if they restart in June they can wrap it up before December. If so, B25 won't be impacted operationally. They can always film them concurrently too, as long as the film crew and studios are not the same. After all, B25 is not filming in Ireland (as far as I'm aware).
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2018 Posts: 4,554
    bondjames wrote: »
    @TripAces, as with another poster before there appears to be a misunderstanding in what I'm saying above.

This isn't about RN vs. SP in absolute terms. We all know that SP was the more successful film. That has never been disputed by me. Bond is the more popular franchise as well. I'm very familiar with the numbers you have posted.

What I'm saying is the rate of drop off in ticket sales between GP and RN vs. SF and SP signifies a drop off in enthusiasm among the viewers. It was a rather dramatic decline, particularly for a continuation story. That indicates that the film didn't resonate on a relative basis, despite the fact that in absolute terms it was more successful. Moreover, it's overall gross as a % of opening gross was less than RN's which also signifies a relative lack of 'legs'. These are measures which track enthusiasm after the initial burst of viewers. Bond films tend not to open big but rather draw in their audiences in the US over several weeks. Check CR or SF's total US gross vs. its opening in comparison to see what I mean.

Regarding ticket sales: Of course it's generally the same as CR. That's not something to be proud of however in my opinion. CR introduced a new Bond who was unknown in the US. SP followed on from the biggest Bond film in decades and yet ended up with ticket sales which were (just) below any film since LTK.

The facts are the facts. One can interpret them any way one wants to.

To be clear again, I'm referring to audience retention and used the SW8-TLJ example in one of my previous posts to indicate where there is a similar decline in relation to the prior film. In both cases, I'm assuming the production team will make some tweaks with the next film (which is why Waltz not returning doesn't surprise me). More dramatic changes than previously foreseen. Or perhaps they should.

Once more and for the record, I have never made any statement about Bond declining as a franchise and what not and it would be incorrect to draw such broad and vague inferences from my posts.

Gotcha @bondjames

That % of dropoff may have more factors (and may be more nuanced) than we know. Other factors are in play: What else was released? Timing? I find it odd that the MI franchise saw a sudden uptick in interest. My guess: that airplane stunt, in the ads, really hooked audiences to MI: GP, big time.

What makes the phenomenon even stranger is that Cruise's other franchise attempts (Jack Reacher and The Mummy) did NOT fare all that well...and I actually liked Jack Reacher (2012) a lot.

In terms of the dropoff to SP: Daniel Craig's disappearance from films for three years didn't help. When SF came out, it was on the heels of TGWTDT, and so he seemed to be a hot commodity. Sure, the 007 brand shouldn't need any help; but DC's is sort of a brand, too, and if that isn't being pushed forward, there's a lack of intrigue.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    TripAces wrote: »
    @TripAces, as with another poster before there appears to be a misunderstanding in what I'm saying above.

This isn't about RN vs. SP in absolute terms. We all know that SP was the more successful film. That has never been disputed by me. Bond is the more popular franchise as well. I'm very familiar with the numbers you have posted.

What I'm saying is the rate of drop off in ticket sales between GP and RN vs. SF and SP signifies a drop off in enthusiasm among the viewers. It was a rather dramatic decline, particularly for a continuation story. That indicates that the film didn't resonate on a relative basis, despite the fact that in absolute terms it was more successful. Moreover, it's overall gross as a % of opening gross was less than RN's which also signifies a relative lack of 'legs'. These are measures which track enthusiasm after the initial burst of viewers. Bond films tend not to open big but rather draw in their audiences in the US over several weeks. Check CR or SF's total US gross vs. its opening in comparison to see what I mean.

Regarding ticket sales: Of course it's generally the same as CR. That's not something to be proud of however in my opinion. CR introduced a new Bond who was unknown in the US. SP followed on from the biggest Bond film in decades and yet ended up with ticket sales which were (just) below any film since LTK.

The facts are the facts. One can interpret them any way one wants to.

To be clear again, I'm referring to audience retention and used the SW8-TLJ example in one of my previous posts to indicate where there is a similar decline in relation to the prior film. In both cases, I'm assuming the production team will make some tweaks with the next film (which is why Waltz not returning doesn't surprise me). More dramatic changes than previously foreseen. Or perhaps they should.

Once more and for the record, I have never made any statement about Bond declining as a franchise and what not and it would be incorrect to draw such broad and vague inferences from my posts.

Gotcha @bondjames

That % of dropoff may have more factors (and may be more nuanced) than we know. Other factors are in play: What else was released? Timing? I find it odd that the MI franchise saw a sudden uptick in interest. My guess: that airplane stunt, in the ads, really hooked audiences to MI: GP, big time.

What makes the phenomenon even stranger is that Cruise's other franchise attempts (Jack Reacher and The Mummy) did NOT fare all that well...and I actually liked Jack Reacher (2012) a lot.

In terms of the dropoff to SP: Daniel Craig's disappearance from films for three years didn't help. When SF came out, it was on the heels of TGWTDT, and so he seemed to be a hot commodity. Sure, the 007 brand shouldn't need any help; but DC's is sort of a brand, too, and if that isn't being pushed forward, there's a lack of intrigue.
    Agree with all your points @TripAces.

Yes, Craig not being in films for some time didn't help. Arguably the same thing applies now (not many people saw the two films he put out recently - I can't even remember their names - and even fewer have seen his theatre work).

There are many factors that could explain the MI uptick and retention but my main point is that the fanbase for these films at the moment appear to be quite passionate and enthused. After all, we're all first and foremost Bond fans and look at us on here! That is a sign that they're doing something right. To some extent it may be better to have a smaller and more passionate following than a larger but less interested one, because that 'base' can bring in new viewers.

I personally believe the reason for the uptick is meeting or exceeding audience expectations consistently and executing with near perfection on the premise. Yes, MI will never be as great as Bond and we all agree but it is definitely exceeding expectations and closing the gap. From my personal perspective I just love the humour, glamour and irony that they have injected in the last two (more than the stunts actually).

MI is Cruises' flagship entry. He gives it his all. The other films (like Mummy, Reacher etc.) are good but one gets the impression MI is where he takes it to another level.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,135
    TGWTDT wasn't THAT big of a success to drive millions to watch Skyfall and not SPECTRE. I think the difference is better explained by the fact that there was no 50 year celebration, the gap between films was shorter, and the Olympics provided an extra boost to awareness of all things British. Not to mention that Sam Mendes had something resembling a story to tell with SF (and I'm not a fan of the film, to be clear). I'm still not quite sure why he decided to return for SP in the end.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    @Mendes4Lyfe, I can assure you that the Olympics and 50th anniversary had limited impact in North America. It really had to do with word of mouth and good reviews. Both drove traffic into the theatre for SF and ultimately it became 'the film' to see towards the end of 2012. Whatever that film's flaws may have been, SF resonated and I've always maintained that the reasons were mainly visual (Deakins), emotional (M/Silva central conflict), and Bardem as a throwback villain. I remember the reviewers raving about the film and then I remember all my friends (fairweather fans) raving about it too! It was hilarious because they were trying to persuade (sell) me to see it (forgetting that I was the #1 fan who had already seen it on day one).

I agree that Mendes probably should have left it at that. Can you imagine his reputation within the Bond community if he had?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Unfortunate
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Are we certain this is going to delay production on Bond? I mean, can't producers work on two different films at the same time?
    Are we certain this is going to delay production on Bond? I mean, can't producers work on two different films at the same time?
    Good question @ClarkDevlin.

My earlier speculation on this (someone can correct me):
    I'm not too familiar with how this works, but my understanding is we have another 5 months delay before shooting begins again, with only half of the film shot to date. Presumably if they restart in June they can wrap it up before December. If so, B25 won't be impacted operationally. They can always film them concurrently too, as long as the film crew and studios are not the same. After all, B25 is not filming in Ireland (as far as I'm aware).
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Again, hard for me to believe Barbara will allow B25 to be delayed in any way, shape, or form. Daniel is back, she wouldn’t want to lose him due to a delay in production.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 15,843
    Seems to me, for the last 15 years anything can delay the next Bond film as every film (QOS excluded) since then has been delayed.

I somehow doubt this Rhythm Section problem would cause too much of a delay, though.
    If all else fails, Eon could rush pre-production, start filming B25 in April of 2019 and get it out by Christmas as they did TND in '97.

Worse case scenario, B25 gets initially delayed until November 2020, prompting Craig to have a change of heart and move on. Then Eon also has a change of heart, scraps whatever is completed on the B25 script, and plots a new course for 007. A casting hunt is begun, and Eon announces late next year that B25 will be moved to November of 2022 for the 60th anniversary.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    TGWTDT wasn't THAT big of a success to drive millions to watch Skyfall and not SPECTRE. I think the difference is better explained by the fact that there was no 50 year celebration, the gap between films was shorter, and the Olympics provided an extra boost to awareness of all things British. Not to mention that Sam Mendes had something resembling a story to tell with SF (and I'm not a fan of the film, to be clear). I'm still not quite sure why he decided to return for SP in the end.

I'm not saying it was. But it was a high profile film, and DC's biggest (and best role) after taking on Bond. He rolled into filming for SF while also doing press for TGWTDT. So that can add to hype. For example, DC's announcement regarding B25 came while doing press for Logan Lucky.

Craig has largely stayed OUT of the spotlight for the past six years. With nothing new, with no talk show circuit appearances, with no interviews to speak of, intrigue in Bond wanes. At the time of TGTWDT, DC was on a number of covers, and, of course, questions about Skyfall were plenty.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Worse case scenario, B25 gets initially delayed until November 2020, prompting Craig to have a change of heart and move on. Then Eon also has a change of heart, scraps whatever is completed on the B25 script, and plots a new course for 007. A casting hunt is begun, and Eon announces late next year that B25 will be moved to November of 2022 for the 60th anniversary.

Hurrah!

Hurrah!
    You want to wait four more years?

Hurrah!

Then AIDAN TURNER will be 39, and the films will return to a much welcomed 2 year cycle after the distribution deal mandates MGM produce 007 on a regular basis.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I’m gonna start panicking if we don’t get an update soon. Why do I get the feeling this WILL inevitably get delayed?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I’m gonna start panicking if we don’t get an update soon. Why do I get the feeling this WILL inevitably get delayed?
    Really no reason to be panicking at this point.
    It's not like they're gonna cancel the film.
    Bond 25 has been canceled. In its place, the filmmakers will begin work on Bond 26.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Bond 25 has been canceled. In its place, the filmmakers will begin work on Bond 26.
    I'm certain many members on here would be quite pleased with that!
    jake24 wrote: »
    Aidan Turner Rises.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Bond 26: The Search for Bond 25. =))
    I mean, if they tried to skip Bond 25 and went straight to Bond 26, wouldn't Bond 26 inevitably be Bond 25?

Guess there's no way Bond 25 isn't happening.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Count me amongst them. Best news I've read all year!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    With CR-67 and NSNA wouldn't Skyfall have been Bond 25? ;)
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    They should cancel Bond 25 in favor of doing indie films like the rythem nonsense and film stars don’t live in diepool.