No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    Remember...all these stunts in MI are happening because Tom Cruise is an absolutely mental nutcase. A brilliant, talented mental nutcase, but a mental nutcase nonetheless. No other actor would do these stunts, and no other actor would be allowed do these stunts. These only happen because he is Tom Cruise, and what Tom Cruise wants...Tom Cruise gets. If the MI films continue after him then those stunts won't be done by the lead actor, so they will lose that aspect of them. I really enjoy the MI films, but they don't have the same cultural cache as Bond if you take out Tom Cruise and his mad stunts.

And don't forget, in terms of number of films, we are only up to OHMSS in number of films...MI has a long way to go to become as culturally relevant as Bond.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I watched GP last night and that Burj Khalifa sequence never gets tired.

I'm curious to see how the upcoming Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson pulls off similar high wire acts (inevitably with CGI). If it can be done in a manner that doesn't take the audience out of it and feels real enough (so far CGI has failed to do that for me), then perhaps we will one day come to a point where actors (and stuntmen) won't have to risk their lives to thrill us.
    bondjames wrote: »

Yes that sequence is amazing. I got to the top of the Burj Khalifa 2 years ago and I couldn't help think of that, and how no amount of money in the world would make me go outside those windows haha:-)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Unless you're Tom Cruise. :))
    I have a suspicion he would do it for free haha

Yes that sequence is amazing. I got to the top of the Burj Khalifa 2 years ago and I couldn't help think of that, and how no amount of money in the world would make me go outside those windows haha:-)
    That must have been awesome. I have it on my list of things to do one day (still haven't been to Dubai). I'm not sure if you know, but he actually took a photo on a different day at the very top of the building (he was sitting on the spire). The guy is nuts.

shWIFfR.jpg
    qIJhd4C.jpg
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Speaking of Trailers and Bond marketing: With CR we got, what was promoted and beyond, same for SF and QoS. But the trailer to SP promised a different movie to me ... I *loved* the „kite“ trailer of SP and could not wait to see the movie. Maybe also that‘s why I felt so let down
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 5,185

That must have been awesome. I have it on my list of things to do one day (still haven't been to Dubai). I'm not sure if you know, but he actually took a photo on a different day at the very top of the building (he was sitting on the spire). The guy is nuts.

shWIFfR.jpg
    qIJhd4C.jpg

Damnit, i want some of the drugs he's having...

But seriously, Tom makes all the other Hollywood actors, especially the newer Generation look like total pussies by comparison
    Tuxedo wrote: »
    Watching SP in the cinema was a bit like watching the "best of" show at the season's end of a TV series.

Especially the last part in London reminds me always of a Season Finale of "24", the hacking sequence with Q, could be Chloe...
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    00Agent wrote: »
    But seriously, Tom makes all the other Hollywood actors, especially the newer Generation look like total pussies by comparison
    Oh I most definitely agree. He's one of the last of the greats in my view. Actors are becoming more dispensable in this world we live in of technology and spectacle.

There's something about this guy though that is special. It's ironic that as a long time star he still towers above today's technology (which seeks to take over everything) by doing it for real.

He completely overshadowed Renner (who presumably was initially being groomed to succeed him) in GP. It was clear to me on my viewing yesterday.
    It's no surprise Renner never got a Bourne sequel...

EON should pull a Marvel. Every time DC makes an announcement or release, they immediately follow with one of their own. "Oh, you're releasing Batman v Superman? Well, we're dropping Daredevil on Netflix that day." EON should announce a director today or tomorrow to steal the thunder from the M:I Fallout trailer.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Please stop giving them bad ideas! My nightmares not to mention!

I'm with you. The idea of spin-off films makes me want to wretch. We get too much Scooby Gang as is.

Don't shoot the messenger, here. I am only going off the rumors, and suggesting that it's possible that EON was testing the waters, a little, in regards to Harris.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/850997/James-Bond-25-shared-universe-007-rights-Daniel-Craig-Apple-Amazon

I don't know how I feel about this yet. What I do know is that Dynamite Comics is already moving in this directions -- with some positive results. We are now getting POP! vinyl figures, as well. It is NOT outside the realm of possibility that a Bond trailer or even a panel could show up at Comic Con.

This "universe" stuff is the "future" of film marketing -- and EON knows it, as does any potential distributor. Though they do not control the publishing arm, you better believe they are keeping tabs on it.

I still gather that it's much easier to create a prospering universe if it's awash with superheroes. Much less so when all you have is one secretary and a nerd.
  • peter wrote: »
    yes, @bondjames-- your find, and your statement, as you're now seeing, means nothing more than: they connected with SF; not so much with SP. That's show biz.

It means nothing more than that. And that was my point, lol! (as well as: on a lesser entry they can still make bucks, lol).

Thanks you for finally seeing that.

As I understand it the James Bond movies make constantly less box office in Asia than the mission impossible franchise. Let alone fast and furious. Especially in China they don't have any fuzzy,heartwarming memories of watching the Bond movies in their childhood so they just go for the entertainment factor. Note, I didn't say that the fast and the furious are somehow good movies. They are plainly not.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Of course Bond would beat MI globally @peter. That's to be expected. This was never a discussion about absolute box office. My point is about the relative 'hold' in box office over the last two efforts.

I think the MI franchise has filled a void left by the Craig Bonds, which have gone in a different direction. McQuarrie has said as much himself. I think Cruise saw an opening, and he took it, and I for one am eternally grateful to him for filling that space (which would otherwise have been vacant). They are fun filled entries full of style, death defying stunts, glamour, class and irony that remind me of the old Bond films (even though they definitely are not in that league - just to avoid offending people again). Most importantly, they have been near perfect in their execution.

Conceptually, the last Bond film may have taken risks by going with 'brother' (or warlord Blofeld as was initially planned), but as I've maintained since its release, it was very poorly executed. I'm not a film writer or expert but I know something that doesn't gel when I see it. Normally it's because it's been rushed or because there was a failure at inception (meaning the writing). I sincerely hope they have taken these four years to get that critical part absolutely right, so that the actors can do their job this time.

Brothergate wasn't "taking risks". It was just as stupid as it gets.
  • "I've said all along: they know what they're doing."
    SP, DAD and - to a lesser extent - QoS are ample proof, that they don't.
    They're in a bit of a box due to expectations and the longevity of the franchise. Whatever they end up doing with the next one, I really feel as though they need fresh thinking and a new approach.

There was something about the last one which really just came across as very mundane & banal to me. Tiresome and played out.

To me at least, they're at a crossroads, as they were after DAD.
    Spectre would have been more accepted had it come out in 2014, two years after SF, 3 years was too long.
    "I've said all along: they know what they're doing."
    The only problem with QoS was the marketing, including all those behind the scenes clips they released during the production.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If you don't mind, I'd like to get back on topic.
  • peterpeter Toronto

"I've said all along: they know what they're doing."

@noSolaceleft ... because you don’t like three films out of 24, that’s ample proof that EoN doesn’t know what they are doing? What an absurd and ridiculous statement; if you are being serious, then this, I’m afraid, is ample proof that you’re like a child throwing a tantrum.

And am I to assume, since you didn’t put SF on your list, that you now appreciate the film in some manner?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    yes, @bondjames-- your find, and your statement, as you're now seeing, means nothing more than: they connected with SF; not so much with SP. That's show biz.

It means nothing more than that. And that was my point, lol! (as well as: on a lesser entry they can still make bucks, lol).

As I understand it the James Bond movies make constantly less box office in Asia than the mission impossible franchise. Let alone fast and furious. Especially in China they don't have any fuzzy,heartwarming memories of watching the Bond movies in their childhood so they just go for the entertainment factor. Note, I didn't say that the fast and the furious are somehow good movies. They are plainly not.

You’ve been a busy boy today! Read the article I linked to. Other than one FF film, Bond beats it, and M:I, and many of its competitors, worldwide.

Returning to our regular scheduled programming: Bond 25...

You’ve been a busy boy today! Read the article I linked to. Other than one FF film, Bond beats it, and M:I, and many of its competitors, worldwide.

Returning to our regular scheduled programming: Bond 25...
    We seem to be having an unfortunate repeat of yesterday's conversation where the misunderstanding is again yours. His point is about Asia. The FF and MI films are bigger grosses in the Asian markets. I thought I already explained that yesterday.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Trust me, no misunderstanding yesterday, that was clear. But thanks for chiming in, lol!
    Trust me, no misunderstanding yesterday, that was clear. But thanks for chiming in, lol!
    Always there to set you straight. We don't want anyone getting confused on the facts.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Ha! Very good, lol!
    What would we do without you bondjames. Too sad, you have a liking to set the wrong people straight.
    Sorry you feel that way @Germanlady. If you have anything to add about the specific matter we are clarifying (where there was a mistunderstanding about what the poster was talking about) as opposed to opining on what I like or don't like, feel free to comment.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,502
    Careful @Germanlady, you may now be in for a serious lecture.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sorry you feel that way @Germanlady. If you have anything to add about the specific matter we are clarifying (where there was a mistunderstanding about what the poster was talking about) as opposed to opining on what I like or don't like, feel free to comment.

No. 1: your original comment was not about M:I vs Bond in Asia;
    No.2: you wanted us to think , really think, about the overall drop off of SP from SF; you said there was a reason for this (and I stated nothing more than SF was the superior film);
    No. 3: I’m sorry you take everything that nosolaceleft says at face value; more than enough have let me know, and I agree, that he’s our friendly neighbourhood contrarian.
    No.4: please PM me to discuss further.

Hell, we live in the same city: i’d happily take you out for a coffee to discuss any issues further!
    I gave a few stats yesterday to show that MI:RN did better in Asia, which was after you referenced my first comment about the Craig Bond films not being as popular 'relatively speaking' in Asia and posted a few stats about the opening weekend gross (as opposed to total gross). The opening gross is just that. The total gross is the real measure of how well a film does. I thought we had cleared that all up yesterday.

@noSolaceleft pretty much made the same comment today but expanded it to include FF (and he's right there too).

The bottom line is you misread his comment which is actually accurate. The article that you posted and asked him to read does not contradict his point about Asia, which I already explained yesterday.

Oh well, misunderstandings abound around here. Some news will perhaps get us all back on track.