No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @NoSolaceleft, lets see how it plays in the next six months to a year. I get your point.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @NoSolaceleft, lets see how it plays in the next six months to a year.

Just as I intended to. You see, I don't have anything to sell here.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Ot must be tough to always find something cynical and negative to say. Seems there is no friendly or positive bone in you. I pity you - really. Life sucks, right?

You are mixing up cynism and realism. Just given smart business procedures it would be very stupid by them to sign him,if they're even haven't got a distributor. Let's say for any reasons this takes another year to get done wouldn't it be quite stupid for them to already give him all this money and not be sure how he looks like in one year from now or two years from now? Also a new partner distributor might also be of the opinion,that it might be smarter to start with a clean sheet. Meaning also an actor,who is quiet more docile, grateful and - last but not least - cheaper.
    Also, why should they make a secret out of it if they already have signed him? Giving the Publis city of this why don't we read something along the lines of "EON proudly announces the signing of Mr. Daniel Craig for starring one last time in his signature role as James Bond 007" in just about every newspaper on the planet and of course all over the Internet?

Realism, really? Daniel Craig has very publicly announced he is returning as James Bond - not a maybe, not still working it out, not hoping to do another one (as per Brosnan post DAD, although he clearly thought a deal would be done for his fifth,) - no, Craig has said he is definitely doing Bond 25 and, as we have heard, Eon and Craig are in talks with a certain French/Canadian director. And Eon have announced a release date. That's real.

So why didn't they announce the signing? Doesn't EON need any publicity these days? Especially positive one?

Eon have also confirmed Craig is back as Bond. And, to help clarify, distribution and sales companies always want as many certainties as possible for financial success (box office and the value of international sales) and so they always want a lead actor or actress who will help achieve that, and therefore any distributor will be delighted Craig is Bond again because he's a proven box office draw. Distributors would be, understandably, nervous of a new actor in the role because, like Lazenby and Dalton, that actor might not be critically or publicly accepted and have the same drawing power. As Bond, Craig has proven he has that drawing power. Done deal.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,692

The only confirmation EON would give is in case Craig is leaving before Bond 25, not that he is staying. Only Craig's own statement is needed for it to be official that he is doing another film.

The only confirmation EON would give is in case Craig is leaving before Bond 25, not that he is staying. Only Craig's own statement is needed for it to be official that he is doing another film.

Funny. @ColonelSun claims they have announced his signing. Knowwhat? Why don't you fight it out with him first and I take on the survivor, practicing the tried and true methods of Spectre.

Yes. You know I thought I saw a link to an Eon confirmation, but if I'm wrong, there is no way on earth Eon would have let Craig make such a definite announcement on a top US Talk Show unless it was real. He's back - and I'm not even sure why we are debating it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't need their permission just to announce that he would like to come back.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

Funny. @ColonelSun claims they have announced his signing. Knowwhat? Why don't you fight it out with him first and I take on the survivor, practicing the tried and true methods of Spectre.

Where did I say they never announced it? I'm replying to you, not @ColonelSun. If Craig says he is coming back for Bond 25, it becomes a fact even if EON never confirmed it. I don't care about the ongoing discussion on whether or not EON officially announced Craig for Bond 25. My point is they don't need to say anything, as long as Craig says he is back, it's official. Craig could have posted a statement on his own personal Facebook profile (instead of in a TV interview) if he wanted to, it still would make it official even if EON remained silent.
    So Craig is the official spokesman for EON? Please! Some of you are getting downright hysterical just by the mere thought of it. Note, I never said he wouldn't be back. I only claimed that I don't think he's already signed.
    So Craig is the official spokesman for EON? Please! Some of you are getting downright hysterical just by the mere thought of it. Note, I never said he wouldn't be back. I only claimed that I don't think he's already signed.

So are you 10 years old, or what just playing dumb? Do you have any idea how the world works? Craig has been under contract with EON since 2005. Turn on your brain and understand this: you can't sign someone who is already under contract. Did you ever have a job in your life? Do you honestly think I, or anyone with a job, must ask my boss every day after work to confirm if I'm still employed so I know if I can come to the office tomorrow? As long as the contract is ongoing, why would I need confirmation from my employers if I say to a co-worker 'see you at work tomorrow'?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't need their permission just to announce that he would like to come back.

Craig had interviews all that day and held out his announcement about Bond because it was meant to make a splash - which it did. An actor does not make that kind of announcement unless it's genuine - and, obviously, he and Eon agreed to this. Get real.
    How rude I must be for saying 'I'll be back at work tomorrow!' without my boss confirming I am still an employee. I forgot that all job contracts are valid for only 24 hours and must be renewed at midnight every day.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Craig himself said a contract is meaningless. At the end of the day if the participants that matter aren't on the same page then it's a no go. All that's required is a buy out. His quote from Rolling Stone:

I’ve been trying to get out of this from the very moment I got into it. But they won’t let me go, and I’ve agreed to do a couple more, but let’s see how this one does, because business is business and if the [bleep] goes down, I’ve got a contract that somebody will happily wipe their arse with.”

He's agreed to come back and honour his contract and EON want him back. The distributor is the last link. If everything works out, we move forward.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    @noSolaceleft, don't know what's the gripe with Craig's word that you have, mate. But, all in all, it's clear as day that your first desire from the Bond series is to see Craig out. What I don't understand is that why are you putting this into a dog whistle argument and claiming what Craig said will be contradicted in the future?

Craig's return was confirmed by the official website and their social media channels on Facebook, Twitter and whatnot. He's coming back.
    Craig made his statement on TV like 2 months ago. If we assume EON had told him he wasn't wanted anymore as Bond, then his contract was terminated for a while now, so why wouldn't they react to an actor (Craig) claiming he will do Bond 25 if EON were aware (and had told him) the role was getting recasted? That's the only way Craig would be accused of being a flat out liar.

He can't be lying about his intentions if he is still under contract, because he doesn't need to sign anything after saying on TV he will be in Bond 25.
    So Craig is the official spokesman for EON?
    In this case, he is. He signed the contract and then EON told him to announce his return on the Colbert Show.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    And Barbara Broccoli stated in an interview at TIFF that she is delighted that he is returning.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    And Barbara Broccoli stated in an interview at TIFF that she is delighted that he is returning.

@noSolaceleft is flogging a dead horse. I suspect he knows it by now.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 6,601
    OMG - I can't believe grown men are actually letting themselves being drawn into this debate, answering in earnest to this obvious attempt of raising hell by Solace - as usual BTW. Sometimes it doesn't serve the cause to be too nice and too fair, when the other side is not. My two...
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    His original point is that he believes things are up in the air in terms of formalizing the paperwork. He could have a point. It's a question of specifics. Doesn't mean it won't pan out the way it has been publicly stated. Just that things have to be finalized. That is the nature of how complex deals are done based on my experience (I have been involved with things like this including during an acquisition, but not in the film realm). As far as we know, the final deal hasn't been inked yet although there could be memorandums of understanding in place.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 1,162

I could go to great lengths - again - to explain to all of you - again - my reasoning but why don't we just wait and see? When we get insight of the procedure and they tell "yeah back when we had signed him in July (?) and allowed him to let it out" you all can tell me how right you were and how wrong I was. Count on me to tell it to you the other way around if I am right!
    So according to @noSolaceleft, Daniel Craig is actively doing fraud and should be put to jail, or at very least be sued by EON.

Now, more seriously: Daniel Craig has been under contract since 2005. Why in the hell do you need confirmation from EON about the employment of an actor who already has an on-going contract with them? Unless you clearly have no idea how the real world works.

I could go to great lengths - again - to explain to all of you - again - my reasoning but why don't we just wait and see? When we get insight of the procedure and they tell "yeah back when we had signed him in July (?) and allowed him to let it out" you all can tell me how right you were and how wrong I was. Count on me to tell it to you the other way around if I am right!

You're wearing your arm out with all that whipping.

At least I got something to whip with, even if it's only cool rationale.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 6,601
    Rationale? I call it a child stamping his feet . seems - apart from bondjames others patience is running thin too, finally.

Did you get confirmation by the moderators last night that your membership to these forums was still valid for today before login in this morning? If not, you should be banned for deciding to use your account without the mods telling you were allowed to come back. Didn't you get the memo? All accounts here are renewed every day before being allowed to be logged in.

What rationale? Craig has said he's back. Eon have said he's back. A top director they want has just, very openly, said he's in discussions with Eon and - guess what (?) - Craig. Stop wasting everyone's time with your rationale.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    iSgrdBfi1ZTI0jNGttKKsrUh9fCXPXcP_WJesk6aDX6PoOtp6P-mn_C_622V5ucqydrxY2bp4Gf3mvyQtVUTX9-QXHfdwvQMqLXy9jUw_MI8Fad-7hVedz5L5ffJnvT26RR914Dl
    I have no solace left. You flogged it from me.
    See, patience is running VERY thin. Good luck..,