No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited October 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Very true. I actually would go as far as saying that one of the strengths of the older films were the tonal shifts within each movie. There was something for everyone - suspense, action, humour, romance. You might not like all of it but you'd like 2/3rds probably.

That's been gone for a long time. These days you can like it or lump it. The films are much more to tonally consistent which I think appeals to some but not others who hanker after the slightly bizarre mix you got with the old films.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    peter wrote: »
    @bondjames, I went to bed shortly after my last exchange with you on Sunday, re: GF and the haystack scene. I was surprised to see our conversation was deleted by the time I woke up the following morning!

It was an interesting conversation, not at all controversial, but I suppose could have been moved to the controversial thread since we were heading a little off topic here.

Did I miss something after I left the discussion? Was something untoward launched?

Hi @peter I removed it after a couple of members had suggested it was way off topic and belonged in a different thread. Despite this the conversation continued. However i'm happy to drop the comments into a different thread if you wish to pick it up elsewhere.
    NicNac wrote: »
    @bondjames, I went to bed shortly after my last exchange with you on Sunday, re: GF and the haystack scene. I was surprised to see our conversation was deleted by the time I woke up the following morning!

It was an interesting conversation, not at all controversial, but I suppose could have been moved to the controversial thread since we were heading a little off topic here.

Did I miss something after I left the discussion? Was something untoward launched?

Hi @peter I removed it after a couple of members had suggested it was way off topic and belonged in a different thread. Despite this the conversation continued. However i'm happy to drop the comments into a different thread if you wish to pick it up elsewhere.

I'd be interested to catch that conversation.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Roadphill wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Any chance Villeneuve can do a fun, entertaining Bond, without personal dramas? Don't know any of his films, or his style of filmmaking; just feel Bond needs to be more fun again.
    I've not seen it from him, but I think he is very versatile and so will be able to do whatever the producer/co-producer (and actor) ask him to do. They are the ones who will dictate where this goes for now. I don't think it will be 'fun' in the light hearted old school sense because that's just not the way they've developed this iteration of the character (this is the Craig Bond after all).

B26 is where the real shakeup occurs tonally, for better (in my view) or for worse.

@bondjames This is one of the things that has really frustrated me about this era. They are completely shackled to one style and tone.

The series always worked better when we had regular shifts in tone, it helped keep things fresh. FRWL-GF. YOLT-OHMSS. MR-FYEO...I think you get my drift. To have four, and now most likely five films that all roughly have the same tone is too much.

What felt fresh as a daisy in 2006 with CR now feels very, very stale.
    I see where you're coming from @Roadphill, and to a degree I agree. The continuity based storylines offer far less opportunity for error & tonal changes. Moreover, as I've said here previously, they do hamper and restrict the progression somewhat in comparison to the older approach. For the time being, this is what Babs and Craig want to do, so we'll just have to accept it and realize that he's closer to the end of his run than the beginning.

Hopefully a change in approach/tone occurs for B26. I'm more confident of the latter than the former because these continuation narratives still seem to be all the rage in the industry, so I can't see EON breaking the mold.

I do believe that the direct continuation approach inherently makes it more difficult to continue this series and change actors and that troubles me, because that is the reason James Bond is the longest running continually successful series - because it retains flexibility in approach & shakes it up regularly.

Nothing untoward. Someone made an assertion that it wasn't B25 related. I thought it was, because we were initially discussing Broccoli's comments about women in the Bond series, and there is every reason to believe that her sensibilities & opinions will inform how she involves women in the franchise in the future, especially given the political times we live in and the current pressure to put a man in place (Craig has even said as much). Some will see it as part of the modernization of the character, while others (like me) will see it as a continued watering down of a character who remains very unique.

I realize our conversation went slightly off tangent (but still in a natural progression from the original thoughts), but have always felt that a little leeway is better on this thread given it allows for some interesting topics to actually be discussed. Good quality conversation never progresses in a linear fashion. Rather, it meanders to accommodate thoughts and ideas that come along. I would personally prefer if the flow of thought not be interrupted to accommodate strict rules, but that's just me.

Next time you and I get into something interesting (and we have in the past - I enjoy our exchanges) I'll be sure to suggest a quick move to The Controversial Thread, so that the tiresome whining about Newman & Zimmer can continue here. ;)
    Murdock wrote: »
    He's ruined enough movie franchises with his bland noise... :(

I would take him over Newman any given day the week and twice on Sunday.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Zimmer makes Newman sound like a solid composer.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I hear you @bondjames — and thanks @NicNac , for sure I’d like to read what was said after I retired for the evening!
    @peter there wasn't anything else said after your last post on the subject so you didn't miss anything.
    Another day closer to October 5th?!!!! Lets all hope and keep our fingers crossed for something official?
    We've got a bloody tube strike here so im not looking forward to it !!!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Another day closer to October 5th?!!!! Lets all hope and keep our fingers crossed for something official?

To be frank, I would be very very much surprised if there was anything. Actually, I don't think they have gotten anything together right now, including signing Craig.
    Ot must be tough to always find something cynical and negative to say. Seems there is no friendly or positive bone in you. I pity you - really. Life sucks, right?

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,138
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Ot must be tough to always find something cynical and negative to say. Seems there is no friendly or positive bone in you. I pity you - really. Life sucks, right?

You are mixing up cynism and realism. Just given smart business procedures it would be very stupid by them to sign him,if they're even haven't got a distributor. Let's say for any reasons this takes another year to get done wouldn't it be quite stupid for them to already give him all this money and not be sure how he looks like in one year from now or two years from now? Also a new partner distributor might also be of the opinion,that it might be smarter to start with a clean sheet. Meaning also an actor,who is quiet more docile, grateful and - last but not least - cheaper.
    Also, why should they make a secret out of it if they already have signed him? Giving the Publis city of this why don't we read something along the lines of "EON proudly announces the signing of Mr. Daniel Craig for starring one last time in his signature role as James Bond 007" in just about every newspaper on the planet and of course all over the Internet?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I think Craig has already been confirmed on 007.com after he made the Colbert announcement. Villeneuve also confirmed speaking with him and Babs confirmed him in Toronto at TIFF. So he's on board. He did have an option for a 5th after all.

I don't think any of us know where they are at with the distributor. I'm certain that will impact direction (perhaps significantly depending on who wins) and nobody can really tell where they are on that front. Future direction can change too, depending on the way the film market moves in the next year and which films are successful. This is a dynamic environment and 2019 is some time away.

Right now we have to assume what has been announced is fact. Things can possibly change and we'll hear rumblings if that is the case down the road. There are definitely leaks in the seal.

You are mixing up cynism and realism. Just given smart business procedures it would be very stupid by them to sign him,if they're even haven't got a distributor. Let's say for any reasons this takes another year to get done wouldn't it be quite stupid for them to already give him all this money and not be sure how he looks like in one year from now or two years from now? Also a new partner distributor might also be of the opinion,that it might be smarter to start with a clean sheet. Meaning also an actor,who is quiet more docile, grateful and - last but not least - cheaper.
    Also, why should they make a secret out of it if they already have signed him? Giving the Publis city of this why don't we read something along the lines of "EON proudly announces the signing of Mr. Daniel Craig for starring one last time in his signature role as James Bond 007" in just about every newspaper on the planet and of course all over the Internet?

Realism, really? Daniel Craig has very publicly announced he is returning as James Bond - not a maybe, not still working it out, not hoping to do another one (as per Brosnan post DAD, although he clearly thought a deal would be done for his fifth,) - no, Craig has said he is definitely doing Bond 25 and, as we have heard, Eon and Craig are in talks with a certain French/Canadian director. And Eon have announced a release date. That's real.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Agreed with @bondjames and @ColonelSun. Craig is definately signed on with certainty. It has been confirmed by EON and the man himself. He had a verbal agreement to return and officially announced it two months later once all the contractual factors were put in place.
    Definitely...Daniel Craig is in place and ready to start the background work with the EON team,he already is in fact.

We are waiting on the director and distributor factor next.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Realism, really? Daniel Craig has very publicly announced he is returning as James Bond - not a maybe, not still working it out, not hoping to do another one (as per Brosnan post DAD, although he clearly thought a deal would be done for his fifth,) - no, Craig has said he is definitely doing Bond 25 and, as we have heard, Eon and Craig are in talks with a certain French/Canadian director. And Eon have announced a release date. That's real.

So why didn't they announce the signing? Doesn't EON need any publicity these days? Especially positive one?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

So why didn't they announce the signing? Doesn't EON need any publicity these days? Especially positive one?
    http://www.007.com/daniel-craig-return-james-bond/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Since he is the main talking point in this thread right now - Happy Birthday to Denis Villeneuve who turned 50 today!
    Indeed!
    jake24 wrote: »

As I see it all I read there is a retelling of the show the night before, nothing about EON, contract signing or whatever . Also, as upset about my heresy you all understandably are, could any of you try to address my point about smart business procedures, which actually excludes hiring people years in advance especially if there is so much homework still to do.
    jake24 wrote: »

As I see it all I read there is a retelling of the show the night before, nothing about EON, contract signing or whatever . Also, as upset about my heresy you all understandably are, could any of you try to address my point about smart business procedures, which actually excludes hiring people years in advance especially if there is so much homework still to do.
    I actually get where you're coming from and there could be more to it than meets the eye. However, we have to assume for the time being that it is as it has been announced. Stability is good when trying to negotiate the best deal with a studio. Whatever is the fact, Mr. Craig and Ms. Broccoli are quite tight, so ultimately we won't learn anything more until they want us to.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Why would EON need to announce Craig is 'hired' for a 5th film after Craig himself said he'd be in Bond 25? The guy has been under contract with EON since 2005, you can't hire someone that is already hired.
    Why would EON need to announce Craig is 'hired' for a 5th film after Craig himself said he'd be in Bond 25? The guy has been under contract with EON since 2005, you can't hire someone that is already hired.
    So why was there any question if he would come back?
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    I don't think they have gotten anything together right now, including signing Craig.
    What the hell are you smoking?
    could any of you try to address my point about smart business procedures
    Here you go: when it comes to Bond 25, smart business procedure is hiring Daniel Craig as soon as possible, which is exactly what they did.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,690

Because Craig could have quit the role if he wanted to? Ever since SP came out he never was 100% clear if he'd come back until about 2 months ago when he did outright say he was doing Bond 25. That was the question, was he going to leave the franchise or stay for another film.

Because the 5th film is only an option,which means that Daniel or EON could terminate the contract after the 4th film (SP).

So he is still officially hired,he has decided to use the option,EON agree their end,so that's that.