No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's amazing how many times the discussion here comes back to the score.

EON better get it right for the next one.

It's a fundamental aspect of why the old Bond films were so great.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    And it helps the individuality of each film...we all could name each Bond film just by listening to the score .
    Now ,with SF and SP ,it could be either one ,and thats not right.
    Thats the laziness of SP that has caused that,not SF,that WAS an original score before SP.

QOS followed straight on from CR,but had an entirely different score,even.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    bondjames wrote: »

@bondjames Couldn't agree more. Of course, no one will ever top John Barry but I would be happy with someone who does a kind of tribute act to him, such as D.Arnold than the generic stuff we have had in the last couple.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Roadphill wrote: »

@bondjames Couldn't agree more. Of course, no one will ever top John Barry but I would be happy with someone who does a kind of tribute act to him, such as D.Arnold than the generic stuff we have had in the last couple.
    I've read that from other members too @Roadphill and I'm sure you've seen my comments on why I don't personally want Arnold back. I would like someone who can aspire to a more grandiose orchestral approach in combination with the delicate melodic finesse and suspense cues which Barry did so well. The closest I've heard to this kind of approach is Ramin Djwadi, Alexandre Desplat and Henry Jackman, but I'm quite sure there are others.

I just want a new sound which still captures the 'essence' and 'spirit' of classic Bond films.

The enthusiasm and pure love of Bond and Barry that David Arnold had at the Albert Hall shows he would be seriously up to scoring BOND25...we need him back believe me.

I've read that from other members too @Roadphill and I'm sure you've seen my comments on why I don't personally want Arnold back. I would like someone who can aspire to a more grandiose orchestral approach in combination with the delicate melodic finesse and suspense cues which Barry did so well. The closest I've heard to this kind of approach is Ramin Djwadi, Alexandre Desplat and Henry Jackman, but I'm quite sure there are others.

I just want a new sound which still captures the 'essence' and 'spirit' of classic Bond films.

With just a little bit more Bond Theme, please.
    It's also a fundamental aspect of why SF was so great.

• edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    barryt007 wrote: »

The enthusiasm and pure love of Bond and Barry that David Arnold had at the Albert Hall shows he would be seriously up to scoring BOND25...we need him back believe me.

I'd love Arnold back. It's clear he's a huge fan and he seemed to be getting better and better too as he went on (CR is probably his best imo and his score was the best part of QoS and one of the only things I liked about it). I also think that the Kingsman guys could do a really good job.

Newman is gone for sure imo. Apparently him and EON clashed quite a bit during SF, I was surprised they got him back for SP but I guess a combination of Mendes wanting him plus the Oscar potential outweighed any bad blood. But I really can't see him doing another. I think Arnold is the most likely choice, unless the next director has a specific guy in mind again.
    Any chance Villeneuve can do a fun, entertaining Bond, without personal dramas? Don't know any of his films, or his style of filmmaking; just feel Bond needs to be more fun again.
    I've not seen it from him, but I think he is very versatile and so will be able to do whatever the producer/co-producer (and actor) ask him to do. They are the ones who will dictate where this goes for now. I don't think it will be 'fun' in the light hearted old school sense because that's just not the way they've developed this iteration of the character (this is the Craig Bond after all).

B26 is where the real shakeup occurs tonally, for better (in my view) or for worse.
    I have this fear that Bond 25 will be yet another dreary entry in the series. The last two films almost sucked all the entertainment out of Bond for me. Solid filmmaking, yes - popcorn flicks, no. The best Bond films have one foot in the drama department, and one foot in the action/entertainment department. OHMSS is a very entertaining film, yet one of the most dramatic in the series (just to pick an example). SP really didn't manage that well at all, in my opinion.

Hopefully Villeneuve, the Broccoli's and whoever writes the script can work out some sort of balance to it all.
    Any chance Villeneuve can do a fun, entertaining Bond, without personal dramas? Don't know any of his films, or his style of filmmaking; just feel Bond needs to be more fun again.
    I've not seen it from him, but I think he is very versatile and so will be able to do whatever the producer/co-producer (and actor) ask him to do. They are the ones who will dictate where this goes for now. I don't think it will be 'fun' in the light hearted old school sense because that's just not the way they've developed this iteration of the character (this is the Craig Bond after all).

B26 is where the real shakeup occurs tonally, for better (in my view) or for worse.
    I have this fear that Bond 25 will be yet another dreary entry in the series. The last two films almost sucked all the entertainment out of Bond for me. Solid filmmaking, yes - popcorn flicks, no. The best Bond films have one foot in the drama department, and one foot in the action/entertainment department. OHMSS is a very entertaining film, yet one of the most dramatic in the series (just to pick an example). SP really didn't manage that well at all, in my opinion.

Hopefully Villeneuve, the Broccoli's and whoever writes the script can work out some sort of balance to it all.
    I think they will make a better film than SP, if that's any consolation. However, I think it will definitely have some mature underlying 'themes' and an element of drama in it as well. It's interesting that you mention OHMSS, because I really think they were trying to go for that kind of balance with SP, but the fact that they didn't hit the target showed just how good Hunt's effort was in terms of tonal mix.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,692
    It's also a fundamental aspect of why SF Arnold's soundtracks were so great.

Fixed it, since Newman did the biggest sin of them all according to some on MI6Community - overusing the Bond theme.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Joel McNeely and Elliot Goldenthal are my top candidates for Bond25 composer.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    The easiest way to completely destroy Bond 25:
    hire David Arnold
    hire Thomas Newman or Hans Zimmer.

Agreed. Let's hope Eon doesn't hire either of them. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    hire David Arnold

Don't you mean Thomas Newman, since he's the one shoving the Bond theme way too many times in the soundtracks?
    EDIT: double post
    hire David Arnold

Don't you mean Thomas Newman, since he's the one shoving the Bond theme way too many times in the soundtracks?
    Umm, he isn't.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't care who does the music, so long as the Bond theme is used properly. One of the most instantly recognisable themes, and they only use a few bars through the film, and the full theme over the end credits. Isn't it time that the baby and the bathwater were put back in the bath? Yes, yes is the answer.
    hire David Arnold

Rubbish...absolute rubbish..if you heard what i heard the other night at the Albert Hall you would change your mind....or probably not.

Agreed. The lack of Bond theme in action scenes for the last couple films has really deflated the action making it seem mundane or boring.
    I don't care who does the music, so long as the Bond theme is used properly. One of the most instantly recognisable themes, and they only use a few bars through the film, and the full theme over the end credits. Isn't it time that the baby and the bathwater were put back in the bath? Yes, yes is the answer.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. The use of the Bond theme was perfect in CR and SF, but I want even less Bond theme in the next few Bond films. The Bond franchise will go on forever. Why can't we have a few official Bond films that don't feature the Bond theme at all?
    hire David Arnold

Umm, he isn't.

Who is the only composer in the Craig era to put the Bond theme in the OST outside of the end credits? Hint: It isn't David Arnold, he only put the Bond theme in the end credits of CR and QOS.

So Newman can bugger off for ruining the Craig era by putting the Bond theme too much again like in the Brosnan era. Given how many members are disliking these 90's soundtracks, it'd be a popular opinion to get rid of that god-awful Newman's cliched music.
    I coudn't disagree with you more. The use of the Bond theme was perfect in CR and SF, but I want even less Bond theme in the next few Bond films. The Bond franchise will go on forever. Why can't we have a few official Bond films that don't feature the Bond theme at all?

CR (and QOS) has less Bond theme than SF. So by your own admission, Arnold wipes the floor with Newman. Newman destroyed the good direction the Bond soundtracks were going. To hell with him!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 16,333
    I coudn't disagree with you more. The use of the Bond theme was perfect in CR and SF, but I want even less Bond theme in the next few Bond films. The Bond franchise will go on forever. Why can't we have a few official Bond films that don't feature the Bond theme at all?

This is the stupidest thing I've ever had the displeasure of reading. Why do you hate the Bond theme so much? Having a Bond film without the Bond theme is simply moronic. It's removing an iconic element for what? Because you don't like hearing the theme? It's like having a Superman Movie where Superman doesn't wear his iconic costume.
    That is indeed one hell of a stupid comment @PanchitoPistoles ,have you been smoking something today ?
    You seriously want the Bond theme NOT played in a Bond film ??!!

Do you like Bond ?

The only 2 soundtracks with the Bond theme limited only to the end credits is CR and QOS. So we have factually proven David Arnold is the best Bond composer of all time, as he's the one to have come the closest of removing the Bond theme entirely! Get him onboard Bond 25 now!

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

It has been criminally underused in the Craig era. As for why we can't have it, it is a part of the recipe, why would you want it taken away?
    CR has less Bond theme than SF. So by your own admission, Arnold wipes the floor with Newman.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=pJOm2mRHDE0
    How does that make any sense? Seriously, you argue like a little child. I never said or even insinuated that less Bond theme = autmatically better score. Newman's Skyfall score is so brilliant that even if it had three times as much Bond theme as it did, it would still be a better score than anything Arnold has ever done.
    I've said this many times, but for me it's not about the use of the Bond theme so much as it is a matter of reimagining it and incorporating it in an interesting way into an original composition. This is something Barry was just so good at.

Martin, Hamlisch (Bond 77), Conti (Submarine) and even the maligned Serra (Goldeneye Overture) did it so well.

Newman did it superbly in the SP PTS.

I'd much rather hear that than the actual standard theme blaring away at full blast like it did in FRWL when Bond was in his hotel. Even Barry didn't do that later in his tenure. From TB onwards he incorporated it into an original melody (sometimes giving it the flavour of the film or the scene's theme, as he did with the 'howling wind blown' version during the hovercraft sequence in DAF). Just masterful stuff.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 16,333
    If I develop a brain tumor from Doritos's comments can I sue him? =))
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,756
    The last few pages of this thread have been more entertaining than the the entirety Spectre.