No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,694
    Newman's Skyfall score is so brilliant that even if it had three times as much Bond theme as it did, it would still be a better score than anything Arnold has ever done.
    Why can't we have a few official Bond films that don't feature the Bond theme at all?

Which is it? If you want official Bond films with no Bond theme, then shut the hell up about Newman since no one in the entire franchise has put the Bond theme less in a single OST than Arnold in CR and QOS.
    Can we also have the instrumental versions of the main theme woven into the score a bit too.
    I don't care who does the music, so long as the Bond theme is used properly. One of the most instantly recognisable themes, and they only use a few bars through the film, and the full theme over the end credits. Isn't it time that the baby and the bathwater were put back in the bath? Yes, yes is the answer.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. The use of the Bond theme was perfect in CR and SF, but I want even less Bond theme in the next few Bond films. The Bond franchise will go on forever. Why can't we have a few official Bond films that don't feature the Bond theme at all?

And why exactly? Only to have done it?
    WTF? Over 100+ posts have happened since I checked here this morning. Thought something news breaking happened.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Nope just the same bow that broke Newman's violin. :))
    The last few pages of this thread have been more entertaining than the the entirety Spectre.

But the music hasn't been as good.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    WTF? Over 100+ posts have happened since I checked here this morning. Thought something news breaking happened.
    Not likely for a while (the much expected announcement never came). The thread title will let you know if there's any real news.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Any chance Villeneuve can do a fun, entertaining Bond, without personal dramas? Don't know any of his films, or his style of filmmaking; just feel Bond needs to be more fun again.
    I've not seen it from him, but I think he is very versatile and so will be able to do whatever the producer/co-producer (and actor) ask him to do. They are the ones who will dictate where this goes for now. I don't think it will be 'fun' in the light hearted old school sense because that's just not the way they've developed this iteration of the character (this is the Craig Bond after all).

B26 is where the real shakeup occurs tonally, for better (in my view) or for worse.
    I have this fear that Bond 25 will be yet another dreary entry in the series. The last two films almost sucked all the entertainment out of Bond for me. Solid filmmaking, yes - popcorn flicks, no. The best Bond films have one foot in the drama department, and one foot in the action/entertainment department. OHMSS is a very entertaining film, yet one of the most dramatic in the series (just to pick an example). SP really didn't manage that well at all, in my opinion.

Hopefully Villeneuve, the Broccoli's and whoever writes the script can work out some sort of balance to it all.
    I think they will make a better film than SP, if that's any consolation. However, I think it will definitely have some mature underlying 'themes' and an element of drama in it as well. It's interesting that you mention OHMSS, because I really think they were trying to go for that kind of balance with SP, but the fact that they didn't hit the target showed just how good Hunt's effort was in terms of tonal mix.
    I hope you're right. They did find a good balance with CR too, but from there the films have become more and more drama-oriented. If they can bring an "early-Craig balance" to B25, it would be great.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    Nope just the same bow that broke Newman's violin. :))
    Somebody was eating from the wrong bag of chips. So, it happens. :))
    Which is it? If you want official Bond films with no Bond theme, then shut the hell up about Newman since no one in the entire franchise has put the Bond theme less in a single OST than Arnold in CR and QOS.
    Yikes, I really am arguing with a little baby. There are two things you need to finally get through your head:

1. I am talking about the FUTURE. While I do think it's absurd how frequently Arnold has used the Bond theme in some of his earlier Bond films, I never had the problem with the amount of Bond theme in CR, and the same goes for Newman's SF. I am saying: the amount of Bond theme in CR and SF was good, but I want something different next: I want a few Bond films with no Bond theme at all. GET IT?

2. Just because Arnold has barely used the Bond theme in CR and QOS, that does not make those scores automatically good. GET IT?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If Newman doesn't return will you leave the franchise and fandom like you've blabbed about doing in the past? =))
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    If Newman doesn't return will you leave the franchise and fandom like you've blabbed about doing in the past? =))
    Of course not. On the other hand, if Arnold does return, I won't be following the development of Bond 25 as closely as I otherwise would do. (Because the return of Arnold = awful score, a director with no vision, and a more producer-driven Bond 25)
    Of course not. On the other hand, if Arnold does return, I won't be following the development of Bond 25 as closely as I otherwise would do.

Hopefully Arnold will return compared to bloody Newman.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I want something different next: I want a few Bond films with no Bond theme at all. GET IT?
    Of course not. On the other hand, if Arnold does return, I won't be following the development of Bond 25 as closely as I otherwise would do.

Arnold used the Bond theme less times in CR and QOS than any other composer has ever managed in the entire franchise. So why are you so against him returning if he's the one to have come the closest of achieving what you 'want next' = a Bond film with no Bond theme at all?
    It makes me nauseous that people still want Arnold back, and makes me a bit ashamed to be a Bond fan... Can't we FINALLY move on from Arnold for good?
    I want something different next: I want a few Bond films with no Bond theme at all. GET IT?

Arnold used the Bond theme less times in CR and QOS than any other composer has ever managed in the entire franchise. So why are you so against him returning if he's the one to have come the closest of achieving what you 'want next' = a Bond film with no Bond theme at all?
    When it comes to the Bond 25 score, it's obviously more important to me to have a decent score than to have no Bond theme at all. Arnold can't deliver a decent score. GET IT?

When it comes to the Bond 25 score, it's obviously more important to me to have a decent score than to have no Bond theme at all. Arnold can't deliver a decent score. GET IT?

Have you listened to Arnolds score's ?

But I can't GET IT it you feed me contradictory information. You said you want 'no Bond theme at all' without mentioning the quality of the score, and now you say the quality is more important than the amount of Bond theme. I'm sorry that my retarded child brain can't GET two informations that contradict themselves.
    It makes me nauseous that people still want Arnold back, and makes me a bit ashamed to be a Bond fan... Can't we FINALLY move on from Arnold for good??

But you said you'd quit being a Bond fan if Nolan didn't direct Bond 26, so us Bond fans should be ashamed of you for being willing to quit the fandom over some random bullshit.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    And it helps the individuality of each film...we all could name each Bond film just by listening to the score .
    Now ,with SF and SP ,it could be either one ,and thats not right.
    Thats the laziness of SP that has caused that,not SF,that WAS an original score before SP.

QOS followed straight on from CR,but had an entirely different score,even.

Exactly. I'm sure any of us here could immediately identify YOLT with a brief cue from Fight At Kobe Docks. That's how it should be for Bond. It has to be more than background music.
    Not sure how I'd feel about Zimmer. He seems highly praised, yet I can't even remotely remember any music from Man of Steel, or Batman V Superman. Then again, the current trend in franchise films scores seems to be steering away from catchy theme music or melodies.
    I much prefer Bond to stick with soundtracks that give each film it's individuality.
    As for the Bond Theme, I love when it's smoothly incorporated into the scene playing. For example, in the OP PTS the moment that leads up to Bond knocking out the guard before planting the bomb. I thought Newman's work on SF was pretty solid, but hugely disappointed in SP. It's like watching a Bond work print that uses music from previous entries.
    But you said you'd quit being a Bond fan if Nolan didn't direct Bond 26,
    STOP LYING. We already discussed this topic several times, go through my post history if you want to se what I really said. The stupidity you displayed today is just astonishing.
    @ToTheRight , don't dismiss Zimmer outright. He can be very versatile outside of the superhero realm. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I have no doubt that if he got Bond the film will benefit from it.

Very good point @bondjames ,i love the soundtrack from that.
    He is my 2nd choice after Arnold tbf.
    But you said you'd quit being a Bond fan if Nolan didn't direct Bond 26,
    STOP LYING. We already discussed this topic several times, go through my post history if you want to se what I really said. The stupidity you displayed today is just astonishing.

I am so stupid and retarded that you had to point out I am one of those Bond fans who automatically hates Bond films that don't feature tons of gadgets, Bond wearing a tuxedo in every scene or the Bond theme every 5 minutes.

But one of my favorites Bond films is QOS. I am such a damn moron that I prefer that film to DAD, which had everything a Bond fan like me love in abundance.
    iSgrdBfi1ZTI0jNGttKKsrUh9fCXPXcP_WJesk6aDX6PoOtp6P-mn_C_622V5ucqydrxY2bp4Gf3mvyQtVUTX9-QXHfdwvQMqLXy9jUw_MI8Fad-7hVedz5L5ffJnvT26RR914Dl
    I have no solace left. You flogged it from me.

Do we really need an image like this? Not wishing to fall out as you make me laugh a lot Thunderfinger, but this is a little poor taste and have no idea what it has to do with this thread?

Regarding a score, I'll be happy as long as we get an exciting one. Haven't had that since Arnold, so there's nothing strange about wanting him to return. Zimmer is not my favourite, but certain scores of his are quite good. I just hope that whoever ends up making the score for Bond 25 makes something that is memorable. Still can't remember a tune from SF, and I've heard through that soundtrack so many times. Like SP it just feels a bit flat to me, and distant – if that makes sense.
    Still can't remember a tune from SF, and I've heard through that soundtrack so many times. Like SP it just feels a bit flat to me, and distant – if that makes sense.
    I enjoyed SF's score, but I can understand where you're coming from. It lacked punch but I found it quite good in the details. Newman's strengths are the polar opposite of Arnold's in my view. A combination of the two could create a near perfect Bond sound.
    Regarding a score, I'll be happy as long as we get an exciting one. Haven't had that since Arnold, so there's nothing strange about wanting him to return. Zimmer is not my favourite, but certain scores of his are quite good. I just hope that whoever ends up making the score for Bond 25 makes something that is memorable. Still can't remember a tune from SF, and I've heard through that soundtrack so many times. Like SP it just feels a bit flat to me, and distant – if that makes sense.

Yes , makes sense. I savour very little from either Newman score, yet both CR & QoS to my mind, do have a distinct sound. Like the Bond classics of old these first two re-boot-era films do have their own recognizable sound.

As for Bond theme, blast the hell out of it. Always!
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Still can't remember a tune from SF, and I've heard through that soundtrack so many times. Like SP it just feels a bit flat to me, and distant – if that makes sense.
    I enjoyed SF's score, but I can understand where you're coming from. It lacked punch but I found it quite good in the details. Newman's strengths are the polar opposite of Arnold's in my view. A combination of the two could create a near perfect Bond sound.

If SF was left alone,it would have just been a weak Bond film score,but the film makes up for it....to add SP has demeaned that very good Bond film,the most grossing ever...
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883

If SF was left alone,it would have just been a weak Bond film score,but the film makes up for it....to add SP has demeaned that very good Bond film,the most grossing ever...
    I agree. The same goes for Mendes. He would have been far better off to have stopped with SF, and I'm sure he realizes that. This is why I thought he would come back to redeem himself and go out "on a high". ;)

I agree. The same goes for Mendes. He would have been far better off to have stopped with SF, and I'm sure he realizes that. This is why I thought he would come back to redeem himself and go out "on a high". ;)

He fell out with Daniel,so that would be the end to that .
  • TheBondThemeTheBondTheme The beginning of the movie
    I don't care who does the music, so long as the Bond theme is used properly. One of the most instantly recognisable themes, and they only use a few bars through the film, and the full theme over the end credits. Isn't it time that the baby and the bathwater were put back in the bath? Yes, yes is the answer.
    I couldn't disagree with you more. The use of the Bond theme was perfect in CR and SF, but I want even less Bond theme in the next few Bond films. The Bond franchise will go on forever. Why can't we have a few official Bond films that don't feature the Bond theme at all?

DUN DUN! DUUUUUUUN! DUN DUN! DUUUUUUUN!
    [I'm the Bond Theme, Panchito]

DUNDUN DUNDUNDUN!
    [I'm coming to get yooooooou!]

dunnnnn DUUUUNN DUUUUUN duuuun
    duuuunn DUUUNNN DUUUUN dunnnn
    [we will be BEST FRIENDS]