No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited February 2019 Posts: 4,619
    antovolk wrote: »
    Scott Z Burns (Steven Soderbergh's Contagion and upcoming The Laundromat) is rewriting the script https://theplaylist.net/exclusive-scott-z-burns-bond-25-20190216/
    1. It's ridiculous that P&W with the help of Fukunaga cannot write a decent Bond script.
    2. Does this mean the Paul Haggis rumour was not true? Probably so.
    3. At what point will EON admit they should have gone with Hodge's script?

EDIT: I just read the entire article, it seems Haggis did work on the script, but his version won't be used.
    P&W have to go. I have no clue why the producers went back to them. I seriously hope Burns can salvage this mess.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    So with the rehearsals happening right now and the script being rewritten, Could the March 4th start date still happen while the script is being doctored up?
  • If this news that the script is being rewritten are true, then it makes sense to push it back. No way can filming start anytime soon. If it's just to polish the existing script then maybe it's ok. Like someone said, sounds like SP again.
    This article paints a very different picture than @peter painted yesterday.

"Bond 25’ is looking down the barrel of a gun: an impending April start date (originally March, recently pushed) and a script that no one is entirely happy with."
    The author said it was an overhaul. More delays should not be surprising.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Very interesting:

Boyle reportedly clashed with Daniel Craig, there were rumors that Boyle wanted to kill Bond in the end (Craig is leaving after this) and this was a bone of contention. Having heard about the ending of the current, non-Burns version of the script (which I can’t reveal), I can say there’s likely some truth to that rumor. It was previously reported that Paul Haggis did rewrite work following Boyle’s exit, but based on my intel, it doesn’t sound like it’s being used.

The article also re-affirms an April start date.

I certainly hope killing Bond isn't an idea they're looking at using. Not paying money for nor watching that!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York

"Bond 25’ is looking down the barrel of a gun: an impending April start date (originally March, recently pushed) and a script that no one is entirely happy with."

Wow... No words.
  • All is not well with Bond25, that much is certain.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Scott Z Burns (Steven Soderbergh's Contagion and upcoming The Laundromat) is rewriting the script https://theplaylist.net/exclusive-scott-z-burns-bond-25-20190216/

If this is true (I have no idea of the integrity of “the playlist”) then it sounds like EON have scored some major writing talent here. The article also reaffirms that this is supposed to be Craig’s last, which I’d be happy with because I want a new, lighter Bond next time around. I am surprised that the script still needs polishing, and that Burns is described as someone who comes in to fix emergency situations. That’s the only concerning bit.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    1. It's ridiculous that P&W with the help of Fukunaga cannot write a decent Bond script.

EDIT: I just read the entire article, it seems Haggis did work on the script, but his version won't be used.

Well it appears there’s some truth to the killing Bond at the end rumour with the Hodge script so I’m personally glad that it wasn’t used
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Well it appears there’s some truth to the killing Bond at the end rumour with the Hodge script so I’m personally glad that it wasn’t used
    I couldn't tell if the article was implying that the idea wasn't used or that it was.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 252

WTF

After the B25 chaos, the producers are exhausted for 5 years

• BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Seconded. That would have been a completely mod edit way to end Craig’s run. And yes, I’m just using the phrase “mod edit” as a curse word now. :D
    Interestingly older rumors said it was the producers who wanted to kill Bond and that’s why Boyle and Hodge left. Who knows who to believe.
    Bernie99 wrote: »
    After the B25 chaos, the producers are exhausted for 5 years
    Hopefully they will feel so exhausted that they will sell the franchise ASAP. :))
    So EON rehires P&W, but they already know they will need help, so they decide to hire a WRITER-director. Turns out, that's not enogh. They hire Paul Haggis too. Surely, the 4 of them will be able to write a decent script before the March 4th start date. Nope!

Why can't EON just hire talented people (Boyle and Hodge) AND let them do their job?
  • antovolk wrote: »

Oh my... What a mess!
    I hope that there will be no more problems and delays. I want Bond 25 with Craig in April 2020.
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia

The ride never ends.
    Scott Z Burns could be the greatest writer in the world, his hands are tied. Locations are already chosen, sets are already built. This is Spectre 2.0. If EON had the courage they would scrap everything right now, push the release date back to late 2020 and threw all the money in the world at Boyle to convince him to return.
    If the movie sucks, it will have been all this trouble for nothing. Our hopes all rest on Burns now.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I can’t believe what I’m reading right now. It’s honestly like being kicked when you’re already down.
  • DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    I can’t believe what I’m reading right now. It’s honestly like being kicked when you’re already down.

You're right. It hurts.
    So EON rehires P&W, but they already know they will need help, so they decide to hire a WRITER-director. Turns out, that's not enogh. They hire Paul Haggis too. Surely, the 4 of them will be able to write a decent script before the March 4th start date. Nope!

Why can't EON just hire talented people (Boyle and Hodge) AND let them do their job?

Eon are approaching comedy at this point, the troubling part is the quote of nobody happy with the script at this point.

I am willing to hedge a bet that Craig wishes he never signed back on. They must have had something good enough to entice him in the spring of 2017, why couldnt EON just polish that and take all of 2017/2018 if need be.

I am sure theres more to this we havent heard yet.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    It sounds like spectre. Leaving the script till the last minute to finalize
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Something is rotten in the state of Denmark
  • They have had years and years to write a decent script. Why are they incapable of doing just that?
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Yeah not news I wanted to read, but always feared, in spite of all my effort to be optimistic. The article speaks so glowingly of the script doctor Burns, but Haggis is a well respected script doctor too, so what magic is the new guy going to perform to get everyone happy. In four weeks. (After four years). Well I trust Fukunaga more than Mendes so that’s something.
    It does feel just like SP, which is a very bad thing.

Craig might be regretting signing back on at this point. I wouldn’t be surprised if that rumor about Fukunaga almost leaving was true, given all the problems we know about.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Do we have concrete info that this is true?