No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

FoxRox wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be surprised if that rumor about Fukunaga almost leaving was true, given all the problems we know about.
    Well, it would not surprise me at all if Fukunaga left the movie in the coming weeks. Also, after the production troubles of Spectre and Bond 25, if the Broccoli family stays on, then big name directors will probably avoid Bond 26 like the plague.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if that rumor about Fukunaga almost leaving was true, given all the problems we know about.
    Well, it would not surprise me at all if Fukunaga left the movie in the coming weeks. Also, after the production troubles of Spectre and Bond 25, if the Broccoli family stays on, then big name directors will probably avoid Bond 26 like the plague.

True. If there’s anything I’ve learned about B25, nothing is a given. It’s something of a cursed film.
    Interesting. The Playlist report flies in the face of Variety, who confirmed the March 4th start date only yesterday. The Playlist isn't Bleeding Cool, but I had just assumed Variety's report was as gospel as an announcement on the 007 website.
    JET007 wrote: »
    Interesting. The Playlist report flies in the face of Variety, who confirmed the March 4th start date only yesterday. The Playlist isn't Bleeding Cool, but I had just assumed Variety's report was as gospel as an announcement on the 007 website.

If Scott's just rewriting now, and has 4 weeks to work on it, then it's highly likely we're not looking at a March 4th start date for production.
    Wow. Scott is a really great get as a script doctor. He's very well regarded in the industry and he probably had to be paid a very large sum of money. It actually excites me knowing he's involved and even if the script wasn't in great shape before, he can make it terrific
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 677
    So it looks like Weintraub didn't make up Sandgren's words, nor was Sandgren mixing up March and April.

I can only hope for the best, but it seems disheartening that we are this far now and they still can't get along on a vision for this film, I must say. Too many cooks in the kitchen? Will they figure out what they want this movie to be while filming gets started?

I don't think Mr. Burns will do a page one rewrite either, because as has been said rehearsals are already happening and locations are being locked.
    I think the problem is Barbara. She hires directors and writers to put together a film and at the first sign of trouble or bump in the road cant compromise and will let them go or fire them outright. Just hire a director that takes orders if thats what you want. Someone worth his salt will want to put some of their stamp on or attach something to their film.

Mendes, Boyle, & likely Fukunaga all almolst walked and one did indeed. its clear after SP & B25 so far how things work at EON.

Someone here mentioned a while back they had to tear down sets from when Boyles film was getting closer to production.
    Taking an age and scrambling at the same time.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    A cursed film. All the recent news has been bad news
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Just to speak of The Playlist's credentials...

⚫ They are very close to Fukunaga. During The Playlist's early days - where they were part of Indiewire - they championed the director a lot. He has a close bond and I know for a fact that the writer of the article is close with Fukunaga.

⚫ I wouldn't be surprised if Fukunaga gave this guy the intel. After all, the writer knows a lot of personal details about the film. Namely, the ending.

⚫ The Playlist also broke the exclusive that the sequel to World War Z was being scrapped. This article is only from last week and was later confirmed:
    https://theplaylist.net/paramount-david-fincher-world-war-z-exclusive-20190206/

Now on to Burns, I like Contagian a lot. I've seen some of his other stuff, but barely remember any of it. He supposedly has a history of fixing scripts and released the acclaimed The Report at Sundance (which could be a player next award season). He also wrote the new film about the Panama Papers.

I'm encouraged by this news - less encouraged by the tone of the article.

But at least we can finally relax and know it starts in April - especially after some members' reaction to the delay when Sandgren let it slip. I wouldn't even be surprised if they push it till May.
    @Pierce2Daniel But do we really KNOW it’s going to start in April? Who’s to say there won’t be yet another setback, or the new script takes longer than they expect.
    But at least we can finally relax
    Umm... we just learned that the script is in a bad shape as of this moment.
    @Pierce2Daniel But do we really KNOW it’s going to start in April? Who’s to say there won’t be yet another setback, or the new script takes longer than they expect.
    exactly. If they delay to November 2020 that'll be it for me. I am actually looking forward to the mi fallout sequel than b25 and that actually upsets me

• QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Just to speak of The Playlist's credentials...

⚫ They are very close to Fukunaga. During The Playlist's early days - where they were part of Indiewire - they championed the director a lot. He has a close bond and I know for a fact that the writer of the article is close with Fukunaga.

⚫ I wouldn't be surprised if Fukunaga gave this guy the intel. After all, the writer knows a lot of personal details about the film. Namely, the ending.

⚫ The Playlist also broke the exclusive that the sequel to World War Z was being scrapped. This article is only from last week and was later confirmed:
    https://theplaylist.net/paramount-david-fincher-world-war-z-exclusive-20190206/

Now on to Burns, I like Contagian a lot. I've seen some of his other stuff, but barely remember any of it. He supposedly has a history of fixing scripts and released the acclaimed The Report at Sundance (which could be a player next award season). He also wrote the new film about the Panama Papers.

I'm encouraged by this news - less encouraged by the tone of the article.

But at least we can finally relax and know it starts in April - especially after some members' reaction to the delay when Sandgren let it slip. I wouldn't even be surprised if they push it till May.

Nothing can surprise us at this point. Resignation and acceptance are kicking in.

• RC7RC7
    edited February 2019 Posts: 10,512
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Putting things in perspective, @PanchitoPistoles did instigate some bickering in the past, but it has to be said that others have likewise been attacking him at a pretty constant rate. It would therefore be wrong to single PP out as the "culprit" of things going sour in this thread. In fact, PP is often merely at the receiving end of attacks and not the attacker himself.

The mod team would like to ask members who flag posts or call others "trolls" and such to also take a moment to consider their own conduct. Very often, the pot is calling the kettle black.

@PanchitoPistoles is but one out of many strongly opinionated members. Strong opinions tend to clash. One can argue, one can defend one's own opinion; that's all part of the game. However, many here are taking things far too seriously, almost as if their lives depend on B25. Temper tantrums over a movie, for heaven's sake! Ah well, I suppose that's the nature of Internet forums. But rather than take things personally, I wish we could just stick to the subject in hand. It's okay to voice contradicting opinions; it's not okay to resort to attacking the voicer over his opinion.

I'm not a hypocrite. PP's opinions and mine don't always align. However, PP is still a respected member of this forum, as is everyone else, and he is allowed to tell us how he feels about things, just like everybody else. As long as minimum decent conduct can be maintained, it's okay for people to disagree with each other. People who demand that others be banned simply because they disagree with them are rarely without guilt themselves.

This is one more occasion in a long, sad list of occasions, where we politely request that discussions can resume without insinuating that the other person is an idiot, a false Bond fan, a troll. And this goes out to all members participating in this thread, not exclusively or even directly to @PanchitoPistoles !

Still, bit of a bellend.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    The next bit of news will most likely be Fukunaga or Craig throwing in the towel. This whole production is an absolute shit-show. I am so discouraged right now.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    exactly. If they delay to November 2020 that'll be it for me. I am actually looking forward to the mi fallout sequel than b25 and that actually upsets me

Frankly, I’d be surprised if the April release isn’t delayed. June through November seems more likely, if the film survives.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,730
    Bond 25
    Story by: John Hodge, Neil Purvis and Robert wade

Screenplay by John Hodge, Neil Purvis and Robert Wade, Paul haggis, Cary Fukunaga, and Scott Z. Burns

Christ
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    Same thoughts, they will probably go for the fall of 2020 in the end.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    The next bit of news will most likely be Fukunaga or Craig throwing in the towel. This whole production is an absolute shit-show. I am so discouraged right now.

At least you won’t be surprised if it hits.

If we get this film next April and it’s great, I’ll be genuinely shocked.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't understand the hysteria here. So we have a release date, for one, which is good.

So far, my only serious worry is Malik, if indeed he is cast as the villain.

He's done well in the few things I've seen him in, so I don't share that worry at all. Quite excited about the possibility of him having a part in B25.

I’m sure he has. I haven’t seen him in anything I can remember. I just don’t see him as Bond villain. Just an impression. I’d be very happy to be proven wrong. And I understand I have little more than a hunch to argue against his casting.
    Fukunaga will have no choice but to leave if Burns doesn't pull it out the bag and everyone is satisfied.

Been a Bond fan now for over 30 years and its hard times compared to what we've been used to and seeing many franchises ...x men, star wars, potter, star trek release with regularity. i'll exclude marvel because that is not a route we need for Bond.

Bond will always need new blood and appeal to the next generation, but with a kids attention span they won't even remember who agent 007 is by the time the next release comes at this rate.

I don't really care who writes the scripts as long as its not P&W. I don't really care who directs, as long as its not Nolan - we've had 2 Nolan-esque films now and that pacing doesn't work for Bond.

Bond needs a friggin long term game plan. The Craig era will be remembered for critical hits and misses, financially very successful but dragging on far too long.

Its getting to the point I don't really care if its EON or not. It shouldn't be a huge creative struggle each and every time there is no original source material.
    Its not all their fault, they are tided together with a handicapped studio, but they never seem to be in a position where they are chomping at the bit and saying to the studio - look we're trying to make a film here, give us the money.

My dream right now is after Bond 25, they partner with another studio. That studio tells them they need to make a new film every 2-3 years no exceptions. If they don't want that then become execs and hire someone. Just be in the background or something, because lets be fair, they get distracted too easily, and someone focussed on entertaining us because they love Bond and nothing else is key to the future.
    The first worrying signs with them date back to 2003 with the Jinx spin off.
    grunther wrote: »
    Fukunaga will have no choice but to leave if Burns doesn't pull it out the bag and everyone is satisfied.

Been a Bond fan now for over 30 years and its hard times compared to what we've been used to and seeing many franchises ...x men, star wars, potter, star trek release with regularity. i'll exclude marvel because that is not a route we need for Bond.

Bond will always need new blood and appeal to the next generation, but with a kids attention span they won't even remember who agent 007 is by the time the next release comes at this rate.

I don't really care who writes the scripts as long as its not P&W. I don't really care who directs, as long as its not Nolan - we've had 2 Nolan-esque films now and that pacing doesn't work for Bond.

Bond needs a friggin long term game plan. The Craig era will be remembered for critical hits and misses, financially very successful but dragging on far too long.

Its getting to the point I don't really care if its EON or not. It shouldn't be a huge creative struggle each and every time there is no original source material.
    Its not all their fault, they are tided together with a handicapped studio, but they never seem to be in a position where they are chomping at the bit and saying to the studio - look we're trying to make a film here, give us the money.

My dream right now is after Bond 25, they partner with another studio. That studio tells them they need to make a new film every 2-3 years no exceptions. If they don't want that then become execs and hire someone. Just be in the background or something, because lets be fair, they get distracted too easily, and someone focussed on entertaining us because they love Bond and nothing else is key to the future.
    The first worrying signs with them date back to 2003 with the Jinx spin off.

This 100%
    @grunther Boyle would have infused Bond with humanity and a fresh 21st century sensibility (no, I'm not talking about metoo or PC culture) that the franchsie desperately needs. I am confident he would have delivered a smart and modern Bond film for a modern audience. Instead we will get something that will feel a bit stale, a bit reheated.

I was optimistic that we would get a good film since Fukunaga is a good director, but with this news about the script, I'm feeling this is going to be Spectre 2.0 in terms of quality.
  • So much doom and gloom!

Currently, the outlook is positive. Eon have a script and they know that it can be better, so they're working on it. This is encouraging - opposed, to merely making another Spectre or Quantum of Solace. They are putting in the effort to make this better.

I imagine the final writing credits will be

Screenplay by Scott Z. Burns and Cary Fukunaga
    Story by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade

At this stage, anything Boyle and Hodge worked on has been jettisoned.

I have a heap of faith in Burns. I may even re-watch Side Effects.

writer-and-director-scott-z-burns-attends-the-the-report-premiere-picture-id1125181151
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,619
    Currently, the outlook is positive. Eon have a script and they know that it can be better, so they're working on it. This is encouraging - opposed, to merely making another Spectre or Quantum of Solace. They are putting in the effort to make this better.
    Are you saying they were not putting in the effort to make the screenplay of Specre better before filming started? " Eon have a script and they know that it can be better, so they're working on it." This is exactly the situation they were in when they were working on Spectre. The delay wasn't the bad news. This is the bad news.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I've been quite a good boy, off-line, enjoying life, and I just got bombarded with emails in the past hour.

I read the article that is causing jitters.

And here is what I just wrote back to one of our posters:

The Playlist is not tabloid, and the writer definitely knows a lot of what was happening with the Boyle fiasco. That's what indicated to me he has a very good source on, or close, to set (I read the article three times).

Until I hear anything different, or at least taming this article, I have NO reason to believe that this guy has made a click-bait article. Once again, he seems to know an awful lot and it kinda/definitely is what I was hearing about Boyle's departure.

The only thing I question is if this is really an overhaul, or a polish:

A polish is what I would expect at this point in pre-production and would not give me the slightest cause for concern. But, since this article is filled with information only one would know from being in close, and he said it is an overhaul, then I am concerned. Really concerned.

Once again, I heard nothing of this and I heard that second unit was hard in rehearsals (stunt unit). We've seen these pics. I heard about the locations (and yes I didn't hear which had been locked, but I know where they had visited (I still have heard nothing about Norway, as of this writing-- which is strange to say the least; but perhaps this info is the reason for that. Just yesterday at about two p.m., I was privy to seeing some very cool pics from GoldenEye with Gregg Wilson (not as a location, but where he was staying while he scouted jamaica recently).

So, if it is an overhaul, then what are the stunt guys rehearsing? Are they keeping in the action sequences, and over-hauling the story around them (a la M:I films?)? I certainly hope not (this fills me with dread, and contradicts CF's own words about story-telling).

So, yes, I am not alarmed by the hiring of Burns, IF this is a polish.

But I am concerned that this is an overhaul that's expected to be done in one month (I never heard of the March 4 date officially, and always maintained it was in March that filming would commence (according to its own production page; however, and, sadly, I have no reason to doubt this article). And I am concerned that, if this is true, why didn't CF (who is a talented writer himself), think that he could not solve whatever plagues this script?

I hate ever being one to feed the negative characters on this site, but if this is indeed an overhaul, and I have no reason to believe this writer doesn't know what he's talking about, then I am alarmed.

I sincerely hope I am wrong. And I await some feedback to those who have given me very good morsels in the past that have been on the correct side of the ledger (saying that, these people, particularly my new "friend", pretty much said about Boyle's departure what I have just read in this article...).

Until then, though, I'm knocked sideways by this news (and I don't doubt its authenticity in the least, I'm afraid. I just hope that the Playlist got one detail slightly incorrect: overhaul vs polish (and a polish would take 4 weeks. An overhaul??? I doubt even the best writer could turn in an amazing page one re-write in 4 weeks).

P
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    What I'm confused about is rehearsals have already started as reported by @ggl007 and evidenced by the Instagram posts by one of the stunt specialists, So if the production start date has truly been pushed back due to the script rewrites then why did rehearsals already start? Why did eon announce the filming delay yesterday along with the release date delay? What I'm betting is production will start on March 4th while burns is rewriting aspects of the script.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 17,279
    @grunther Boyle would have infused Bond with humanity and a fresh 21st century sensibility (no, I'm not talking about metoo or PC culture) that the franchsie desperately needs. I am confident he would have delivered a smart and modern Bond film for a modern audience. Instead we will get something that will feel a bit stale, a bit reheated.

I was optimistic that we would get a good film since Fukunaga is a good director, but with this news about the script, I'm feeling this is going to be Spectre 2.0 in terms of quality.

You won't know for certain if Boyle could have infused Bond with humanity and a fresh 21st century sensibility.