No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I've been wondering, what announcements at the press conference would be good signs? In my opinion:

- Fukunaga getting a writing credit
    - John Hodge getting a writing credit
    - EON referring to Bond 25 as Craig's final Bond film
    - some Boyle collaborators (such as Mark Tildeslay) still being on board
    - the announcement of a composer not called David Arnold
    - not too many shooting locations
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 832
    Also shooting being delayed due to script problems leaves me more concerned rather than less, though we don’t know nearly enough to draw conclusions. Finally, can someone tell me if I’m being unreasonable/ explain why. I think I’ve been entirely reasonable, yet am somehow linked with the “sky is falling” crowd.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm absolutely thrilled to announce that I will be holding a one man protest in front of EON Productions at EON House the next time I visit London.

Will you be taking pictures? :D
  • Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Also shooting being delayed due to script problems leaves me more concerned rather than less, though we don’t know nearly enough to draw conclusions. Finally, can someone tell me if I’m being unreasonable/ explain why. I think I’ve been entirely reasonable, yet am somehow linked with the “sky is falling” crowd.
    I think anyone with fair doubts is being linked to the "sky is falling"/"chicken little"/"squirrels" crowd. Sad but I'm not gonna stop giving my opinion because of it.

I think great news with the press conference would be:

- A good composer (and yes David Arnold would be welcome)
    - A promising Bond girl
    - A promising villain
    - A plot that hopefully doesn't involve Bond unveiling secrets from his past etc.
    - Promising locations
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It is a relatively minor delay in time, in my opinion, @Ottofuse8. And this is a massive film, as we all know. But the resources they have are definitely sufficient to the task. This film is well funded - shooting will happen, in more than one place, EON knows about the logistics for a Bond film, the production crew is capable, the director is not a muddled, too artsy, wishy washy change his mind type. I believe the film will be completed on track for the April release. I mean, no actors strike or writers strike, no earthquake on set ... barring unforeseen genuinely huge problems, I am not concerned.
  • Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    I think anyone with fair doubts is being linked to the "sky is falling"/"chicken little"/"squirrels" crowd. Sad but I'm not gonna stop giving my opinion because of it.

I think great news with the press conference would be:

- A good composer (and yes David Arnold would be welcome)
    - A promising Bond girl
    - A promising villain
    - A plot that hopefully doesn't involve Bond unveiling secrets from his past etc.
    - Promising locations

^^^^^
    edited February 2019 Posts: 12,459
    OK, I'll take a guess for news at the press conference:

- composer announced (because I do think they know this by now)
    - locations (some) announced
    - one other cast member announced ... but not stated as main villain (we may be told henchman/henchwoman)

I think perhaps we will not have a Bond girl announcement, and I don't think the title will be announced yet. I think they will save the title for much later. Just my thoughts on all of that.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The way they said “absolutely thrilled,” as they announced yet another delay is just a slap in the face. Everyone who wants to stay positive should get to do so though. Whoever needs to vent, like myself, should have a chance to vent. I’m not saying a Bond film should be rushed out without any thought, but it’s going to be near 5 years (if the current release even holds) since the last. Shouldn’t have to take that long.

This is the one thing I'll acknowledge with a bit of a critical eye, right now. I think the PR team allowed a misstep here.

I completely understand why everyone's reading the quote that way, but I really don't believe it's EON's intention at all. Nor is it tone deaf. It's just missing context that would have been beneficial.

I don't think there's any question, from a business and financial standpoint, Bond 25 just moved to a more lucrative date. The commercial opportunity (and extra time to complete the film) are both huge wins for EON in this move. If I'm Barbara and Michael, I'm thrilled by this too.

Now, yes, that's not what fans want to hear. And I think that's the misstep. I recognize they probably needed a rush statement after the Wrap story broke, but from a PR perspective, I think this could have benefited from a little more context around the statement. Even if only to acknowledge flexibility from/with the distribution partner and reassure fans that work on the film is moving full speed ahead, encouragingly.

"There is another possibility, however --"

From a brand/audience perspective, I'd also submit that the instant the press conference happens, all this fan angst disappears. Entirely. Rewritten over with unbridled excitement and optimism to see Bond back in action. So - EON, knowing that, and perhaps knowing better than us that a press conference isn't that far off, determined it was best to not whisper a single word more than they needed to, with confidence that our newfound angst is temporary at worst and they really didn't need to telegraph the new development any more than that.

Marketing's fun, isn't it? ;)
    If they still don't have locations and shooting script in place then Chances are some aspects of this film will be rushed. This just reaffirms my thought they started from near scratch again last august after boyle/hodge fiasco
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Univex wrote: »
    It was never a question of being annoyed by someone or someone's opinion. I don't get why you and others don't understand that. It's about someone's soul purpose being to upset other members by reiterating his position ad nauseam. He's still doing it. And even to me. And my response to it was erased, censored. Listen, like I said, I'm out. I don't care. If you and the moderators don't understand this, it's your problem. Not mine. Not anymore. I'm just here for the birds, oh and for Bond25, which thankfully is being made by producers who know this sort of thing is an event, and have learned not to rush things like they did other times. I say, good for them. And eventually, for us.

I agree with Univex about Panchito.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 157
    FFS no cast, no firm locations, no press conference but a new release date...saw this one coming didn't we.

flip side, am watching Netflix Maniac and it is brilliant.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Why thank you, @DoctorNo.
    You see, the entire day I've been trying to get this thread back on track. Many members have helped me with that. You know, going back on topic, staying on topic. Even the heavily targeted @PanchitoPistoles went back to discussing B25.

But then @Univex and now yourself feel compelled to return to the fighting ring. May I ask why you cannot leave things be? Feel free to PM us, but will you please either comment about B25 or leave this thread, lest all my efforts of today prove meaningless?

Thank you.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Don’t understand how sources are contradicting each other so much at this point. Rehearsals are taking place, but there’s no concrete locations, and the crew hasn’t been given a shooting schedule? What the hell is happening?
    Hodge fiasco. Boyle fiasco. Delays fiasco. Release date fiasco. (just saying ...)

Hmmm. So maybe for some fans (not looking at anybody in particular, just thinking to myself, just had this idea...)

How about this being the title for Bond25 - "Fiasco!"
    It's short, punchy, exciting (portends action! disaster! challenges!) and does not start with the letter "S". ;)
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Don’t understand how sources are contradicting each other so much at this point. Rehearsals are taking place, but there’s no concrete locations, and the crew hasn’t been given a shooting schedule? What the hell is happening?

I feel the frustration and confusion. I wouldn’t even be surprised if the film is scrapped next.

I feel the frustration and confusion. I wouldn’t even be surprised if the film is scrapped next.

Please don’t say that. What a disaster.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Does anyone feel that this is becoming a good time to change Bond actor ?
    Just curious .

Absolutely not. My position on this is still that Craig should be bond for eternity. Best thing to happen to the franchise since Connery.

I agree tho I thought Dalton was spot on in TLD. LTK I despise so we'll ignore that one. I wish he'd done two or three more. He was a great representation of what Fleming created, a true killer. They had moved far away from that with Roger Moore.

Please don’t say that. What a disaster.

I’m sorry. It is what it is. After all that’s gone down I’m just expecting the worst, but still of course hoping for the best.
    I don't understand the hysteria here. So we have a release date, for one, which is good.

So far, my only serious worry is Malik, if indeed he is cast as the villain.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    But then @Univex and now yourself feel compelled to return to the fighting ring. May I ask why you cannot leave things be? Feel free to PM us, but will you please either comment about B25 or leave this thread, lest all my efforts of today prove meaningless?

Thank you.

I haven't followed any recent comments on here. Literally just saw this news on From Sweden With Love and had to vent.
    I'm sure the final film will be serviceable- can't be any worse than Spectre right?!
    But TBH it feels bloody hard work being a bond fan in these times.
    I hope some sort of regularity can come back after with the next actor. TBH its pretty ridiculous.
    Scott Z Burns (Steven Soderbergh's Contagion and upcoming The Laundromat) is rewriting the script https://theplaylist.net/exclusive-scott-z-burns-bond-25-20190216/
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't understand the hysteria here. So we have a release date, for one, which is good.

So far, my only serious worry is Malik, if indeed he is cast as the villain.

He's done well in the few things I've seen him in, so I don't share that worry at all. Quite excited about the possibility of him having a part in B25.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 12,249
    antovolk wrote: »
    Scott Z Burns (Steven Soderbergh's Contagion and upcoming The Laundromat) is rewriting the script https://theplaylist.net/exclusive-scott-z-burns-bond-25-20190216/

It feels like SP all over.

It feels like SP all over.

Except with better people involved in fixing things up. It's interesting how much Fukunaga's hiring opened the floodgates to American talent on this. Wouldn't see the likes of Gilroy or Burns come in to fix up a Bond script even on Spectre
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2019 Posts: 10,588
    Very interesting:

Boyle reportedly clashed with Daniel Craig, there were rumors that Boyle wanted to kill Bond in the end (Craig is leaving after this) and this was a bone of contention. Having heard about the ending of the current, non-Burns version of the script (which I can’t reveal), I can say there’s likely some truth to that rumor. It was previously reported that Paul Haggis did rewrite work following Boyle’s exit, but based on my intel, it doesn’t sound like it’s being used.

The article also re-affirms an April start date.

Wow.

Folks, I know the immediate emotional reaction to this will be "how are they still having script problems?" but this is a major win for EON.

Scott is a heavy-hitting script doctor, as that article points out. He's precisely the kind of pro you want at this stage to get a script over the finish line in the best shape possible. If this delay is in any way driven by the chance to get him involved with it for a month, that's a very good thing.

Delay or no delay, questionable current draft or no questionable current draft, my excitement and anticipation for Bond 25 just shot way up.
    So let me get something straight. The script is being re-written again, or is this just a polish ala Jez Butterworth? I am absolutely bewildered right now.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    If this is true I hope eon never hires P&W ever again!!
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited February 2019 Posts: 2,630
    I wonder how long ago he was approached. If it was 2 months ago, then no biggie. If it was a week ago, then yikes.

Also interesting that he’s been approached before but timing was the issue then.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 252
    40 Months after the release of SP, and they still working on the script (rewrite) for the next movie. I miss Cubby Broccoli