No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    I’m very happy about Norway but can’t say the same thing about Spain (standing in for Tunesia). Bond just visited Morocco! Why another North African location this soon when there are numerous regions on the planet cinematic Bond has never visited?

You could say the same for Italy with the Craig films, with Lake Como is CR, Siena in QOS, and Rome in SP.
    Re: the whole criticism of previous Bonds, some of us have stayed consistent in our views and opinions over the years.

I was one - or at least it felt like it at the time - of the very few Dalton defenders, both during his tenure, afterward and to this day. People were bashing him as too serious and other nasty names and accusations it was his responsibility the series went into its 6-year hiatus, and the magazines, papers and websites went along with the ride along with many fan forum members.

While true enough Brosnan was the heir apparent at the time and all those "Best Bond since Connery" claims came in the wake of people being happy a more traditional Bond was back, I was never particularly satisfied with the portrayal as it was pretty much just there, nothing stood out. Many defenders claimed he was a hybrid Bond, portraying the strong points of his predecessors, meaning not really anything original.

So I was one of those who didn't mind his tenure ending. Nothing against him personally, he seems like a good guy and got 4 films as the character, did his job and succeeded and that he completed his contract and was on a verbal commitment to a fifth film, I didn't agree with the outcry when it didn't happen.

I was also one of those who were immediately intrigued by Craig when he was announced amidst the Craig not Bond nonsense and am more than pleased with his tenure. I criticize SF and SP frequently, but put that more on the creative team opposed to Craig himself, who is never short of fascinating to watch.

So unless he completely screws up in B25, I won't be among those however long down the line is putting down Craig or his Bond portrayal no matter who replaces him. Instead, I hope I really like the replacement and can enjoy him the way I have Craig and the other predecessors to various degrees.

It's also funny in the wake of Craig's tenure how many people have either rediscovered or did an about face on Dalton, where people now see what he was attempting and appreciating it where they didn't previously. If it happens for Bros too, good for him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    octofinger wrote: »
    In terms of a recent film that used this sort of location to best effect, Ex Machina springs to mind. Filmed on location in Norway, mostly, and did extraordinary things with interior and exterior space. The locations really were characters in the film.

EON, take note: that's how you put the money up on the screen!
    That was a very well lensed and memorable film. I liked the aesthetics and general ambience.
    peter wrote: »
    Oh dear Dog @Shardlake , when DC is gone, there will be a massacre of criticism. It'll be a fiesta of insults (barely concealed now, they will be flowing in full force).
    I'll hafta run for the hills during that time, lol.
    I do admit I wait for this day with bated breath. I’ll probably sound like a DCINB member. Unless B25 changes my opinion of course.
    Or unless the actor who play Bond number 7 is a total miscast .
    I’m very happy about Norway but can’t say the same thing about Spain (standing in for Tunesia). Bond just visited Morocco! Why another North African location this soon when there are numerous regions on the planet cinematic Bond has never visited?

Well, Tunisia and Morocco can be somewhat different. And lensed a different way by different director, it'll have no shades of SP, I'm certain. So, be not afraid, my negative friend.
    jobo wrote: »
    I think Cádiz deserves to be a location on its own and no stand in (like in DAD before).

That's true. Spain deserves a spot. So does Portugal and Lisbon, or Porto. Can't understand why they never thought of those.
    Like with any unpublished work by Fleming, the producers should really try to get access to Adam's sketch books, if possible. No doubt there are some great unused concepts there!

Exactly!
    In terms of a recent film that used this sort of location to best effect, Ex Machina springs to mind. Filmed on location in Norway, mostly, and did extraordinary things with interior and exterior space. The locations really were characters in the film.

Speaking of that film: Alicia Vikander is Bond girl material.

Craig would've had both Lara Crofts ;)

She was ok in U.N.C.L.E. Alas, I doubt she'll be on a Bond flick.

The Bond series have featured several Swedish Bond girls in the past, so why not?
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Univex wrote: »
    Oh dear Dog @Shardlake , when DC is gone, there will be a massacre of criticism. It'll be a fiesta of insults (barely concealed now, they will be flowing in full force).
    I do admit I wait for this day with bated breath. I’ll probably sound like a DCINB member. Unless B25 changes my opinion of course.

True. Given some of the suggestions thrown around in the media this is certainly plausible.

I certainly doubt that too. Just a thought I hadn´t considered before... you know... those thoughts of certain girls in Bond flicks... ;)

True. Given some of the suggestions thrown around in the media this is certainly plausible.
    Right?

I certainly doubt that too. Just a thought I hadn´t considered before... you know... those thoughts of certain girls in Bond flicks... ;)

Oh, I do know those thoughts ;)
  • Benny wrote: »
    Christopher Waltz, Jeffrey Wright, Rory Kinnear, and Lea Sideoux hopefully get announced tomorrow.

Regarding digital.....doesn't it seem kinda "fake" or too surreal instead of film being used? At least with film, we were able to focus on what the cinematographer and director were jointly trying to get the audience in the mood for (such as the change of location from one scene to another).

Skyfall felt like watching the inside of a movie studio as opposed to getting lost in the 2nd Unit director's art.

Lastly, wouldn't it raise eyebrows if Simon Kassianides makes a cameo appearance in the movie?

Yusef recruiting for Spectre?
    Back to his old ways. Or would he be detained after the events of QOS.
    It's one of those small details that could work very well within the story. Why did you mention him @dramaticscenesofQOS ?

@Benny , Yusef held the most emotional weight on Craig's Bond. And now that JB is together with Mr. White's daughter, that's been resolved. Yusef could be used as an unlikely witness or ally for Bond's disposal or as someone who could be back at Quantum/Spectre in a similar or larger capacity.

Barbara Broccoli mentioned that she'd wanted Camille to come back....it would be good to see how she's been since parting ways at the train station in the Bolivian dessert which was very similar to the one where Bond and Mr. White's daughter were dropped off.
  • @GetCarter , I hope there's no gunbarrel at the beginning... it just feels too generic and forced. Craig's Bond, for the first three films did not have a traditional gunbarrel at the opening. While each were unique. It's like Q....the movies have proven that they can do without him or his gadgets often for the better.
    I hope there is a gunbarrel at the beginning. QOS-SP should have had proper gunbarrels at the beginning.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    At this point I wouldn't mind if they placed it at the end. The inconsistency is slightly bothersome.
  • @jake24 The inconsistency is indeed bothersome....Craig's Bond is unique in many ways and Sam Mendes really tried to reign him in by pushing a lot of old traditions onto his films, so having the barrel back at the end is more of an acknowledgement that Craig's Bond is his Bond and that we're back in an era where the actor has the charisma instead of the cookie-cut method where he can't lead which was the same issue that made the series end long before Lee Tamahori caused the final nail in the coffin.
    The next one is gonna be more serious and have an opening akin to either cr or qos. The lighthearted gunbarrel opening of spectre won't be happening for the next one I don't think
  • What’s so special about Emily Blunt? Don’t think I’ve seen her in anything. She any good?

She was in 'Edge of Tomorrow', 'Sicario', 'A Quiet Place', 'Return of Mary Poppins', 'The Adjustment Bureau', 'Looper'.
    Ah ok, I did see SICARIO. None of the others though. I guess she didn’t really register.

• I liked Brosnan but I definitely don't miss the Brosnan era. TND and TWINE are easily the two worst Bond films ever made. Even the abysmal Spectre is miles above those two films.
    Oh gimme a break!!! TND is a Bond classic compared to the ugly mess that was “BrotherGate”.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343

You could say the same for Italy with the Craig films, with Lake Como is CR, Siena in QOS, and Rome in SP.

Don't forget Venice at the end of CR and Lake Garda (PTS) and Talamone (Mathis relais) in QoS. BTW it's not the first time, also Moore came to Italy not only three times, but three time in a row! (Costa Smeralda, Venice, Cortina).
    I liked Brosnan but I definitely don't miss the Brosnan era. TND and TWINE are easily the two worst Bond films ever made. Even the abysmal Spectre is miles above those two films.
    Oh gimme a break!!! TND is a Bond classic compared to the ugly mess that was “BrotherGate”.

The only ugly thing about the "FosterBrotherx2WintersGate" was pretending some so severe British Baroque architecture like the Blenheim Palace could belong to the city with the most incredibile and unique architecture heritage in the world. Shame.

I just hope in 25 they would not mess too much with locations doubling other places in such a stupid way.
  • LFSLFS
    edited April 2020 Posts: 40
    Norway seems interesting, since Bond has never been to Scandinavia in the movies.
    John Gardner took him to Lapland in "Icebreaker" and it proved to be a very special and unusual location.

But I've always wondered why Australia was never thought of! There are some many possibilities in Australia: Sydney as a glamorous metropolis, the Outback, dangerous animals (even sharks!). One of Horak's comic strips ("Shark Bait") made great use of the Outback and Raymond Benson used it for "Zero Minus Ten", too.

The Bond series have featured several Swedish Bond girls in the past, so why not?
    Surely there's got to be more Swedish actresses out there than Vikander? I must admit, before MI: Rogue Nation, I'd never noticed Rebecca Ferguson until she appeared in that particular movie. Nope, I never saw the TV mini-series The White Queen, nor did I notice her in Dwayne Johnson's Hercules. I'm hoping that Bond's casting director uncovers another untapped Swedish gem like Ferguson rather than an actress that's already made noticeable appearances in other franchise movies and has become synonymous with Jason Bourne, UNCLE, and Lara Croft.
    Tnd and twine are both lower-middle of the road. Qos and sp are both bottom 5.
  • Rami Malek looked every inch the screen villain last night at the SAG awards. He kinda reminds me of a hipster Peter Lorre. I'm into that vibe.

rs_634x1024-190127170626-634-2019-sag-awards-red-carpet-fashions-rami-malek.cm.12719.jpg?fit=inside|900:auto&output-quality=90

He won the SAG for Best Leading Actor - which presumably places him in pole position for the Academy Award leading up to the BAFTAs.

Surely they can get his schedule to work for Bond 25? If Barbara wants him, she'll make it work.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    “ a hipster Peter Lorre”, Lol that pretty much nails it .
    He definitely projects a villainous vibe.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Now, about Norway, Sandgren, Fukunaga, Craig, Tunisia,...

bigstock-172722398.jpg
    methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fd4f137d6-9255-11e7-a2ce-ce94682a575d.jpg?crop=1053%2C592%2C246%2C34&resize=685
    w_atlantic_road_587259572_ss.jpg?h=450&w=690
    Norway-Itinerary-20.jpg
    svart.jpg

Pretty possible locations, right? Full of colour and vibrant cinematic possibilities. Second one is Cadiz, btw. Could very well double for Tunisia. And if anyone mentions MI:3 because of that Norwegian bridge/road, I'll trow another Arnold at you! Gorgeous, original locations for what is going to be a very original film, no doubt.

These look amazing, thank you for sharing.
    I don't know why but having never been to Norway you just picture it being filled with snow without a real landscape.

I especially love the 3rd picture, I think that would be either a great establishing shot or fantastic closing shot.
    The last would be perfect for a villain's lair, especially if they bring Spectre back, as it looks like the Spectre ring....
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    With the castle of Blofeld in mind, I always thought this location here in Naoshima Island, Japan, would be perfect for a Bond movie.

benesse-3756.jpg?w=770&h=513

508d9ac3e7454641b5ec8026feb0c47d--circle-architecture-museum-architecture.jpg

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    LFS wrote: »
    Norway seems interesting, since Bond has never been to Scandinavia in the movies.

Craig being the first Bond to set foot in Scandinavia would make up for his cancelled 'Dragon Tattoo' sequel (with Rooney Mara) by those fools at Sony.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    LFS wrote: »
    Craig being the first Bond to set foot in Scandinavia would make up for his cancelled 'Dragon Tattoo' sequel (with Rooney Mara) by those fools at Sony.
    Now that you mention it, Stellan Skarsgård should be in B25, going head to head with Bond at some point. It'd poke an innocuous fun at Dragon Tattoo.
    matt_u wrote: »
    With the castle of Blofeld in mind, I always thought this location here in Naoshima Island, Japan, would be perfect for a Bond movie.

benesse-3756.jpg?w=770&h=513

508d9ac3e7454641b5ec8026feb0c47d--circle-architecture-museum-architecture.jpg

Bloody hell, that's amazing. Why don't they see these things? They scream Bond.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    matt_u wrote: »
    Don't forget Venice at the end of CR and Lake Garda (PTS) and Talamone (Mathis relais) in QoS. BTW it's not the first time, also Moore came to Italy not only three times, but three time in a row! (Costa Smeralda, Venice, Cortina).

Thanks, I was about to say the same thing!