No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,423
    Craig has such a particular style of acting. He's very good in everything I've seen him in though. That clip alone is better than Brosnan's whole Bond tenure.

I’d really like to know why every time someone compares any aspect of the Bond franchise, Brosnan & his tenure are always brought up as an example of low quality. I find it a bit sad and annoying how his films are always mentioned at every possible occasion just to complain about his tenure again. There are plenty of places to discuss the 1995-2002 era, I would like to have at least one thread without seeing Brosnan being trashed again for no reason. He wasn’t mentioned once in this thread for quite a while now, let’s keep it that way if he only gets brought up for complaints.
    It’s rather simple: When someone is programmed to hate something, one does it without any particular reason. That’s most of the MI6 Community members’ attitudes when it comes to Brosnan.

One thing is for sure, though. Constantly hating on something won’t make it go away. Considering how the general public still thinks of Bond in the Brosnan way: the womanizing gentleman who saves the world while looking good in a fine tuxedo, that sort of style will come back on the screen one way or another. So, I wouldn’t bother kicking the hornet’s nest, my friend. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    2tRyJ3f.png

KHAAAAAANNNNNNBROSNAAAAAAAAAN!!!!
    S3o7tRB.gif

I shall leave you as you left me. Marooned for all eternity with Brosnan's Bond films. Buried alive...buried alive.
    G2xqM2e.gif
    Murdock wrote: »
    2tRyJ3f.png
    [/img]
    Nuff said. ;)
    I miss Brosnan. There, made me say it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I'm just going to leave this here.

EoN, take NOTE!

Equality!!!!!

I absolutely adored this fight. Really well done.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Craig has such a particular style of acting. He's very good in everything I've seen him in though. That clip alone is better than Brosnan's whole Bond tenure.

I’d really like to know why every time someone compares any aspect of the Bond franchise, Brosnan & his tenure are always brought up as an example of low quality. I find it a bit sad and annoying how his films are always mentioned at every possible occasion just to complain about his tenure again. There are plenty of places to discuss the 1995-2002 era, I would like to have at least one thread without seeing Brosnan being trashed again for no reason. He wasn’t mentioned once in this thread for quite a while now, let’s keep it that way if he only gets brought up for complaints.

Thank you!
    Univex wrote: »

Seconded. GE and Pierce Brosnan reinvigorated the Bond franchise. People seem to forget that it was Brosnan’s Bond that pulled the film series out of its longest gap, a time when many people were wondering if Bond would ever be back, and some film experts were calling Bond’s return a “several million dollar risk not worth taking” (see the documentary Everything or Nothing: The Untold Story of 007). I look forward to the day that Brosnan’s interpretation of 007 gets the same favorable reappraisal that Dalton and Moore eventually received. Perhaps once Bond #7 takes the reigns we will see this.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Diane Lane would’ve been a ripping Bond girl in her pomp, circa 1984-85. Imagine her in place of Tanya Roberts in AVTAK.

I wouldn't say no to Diane Lane in a Bond film now.

Thank you!
    Univex wrote: »

Seconded. GE and Pierce Brosnan reinvigorated the Bond franchise. People seem to forget that it was Brosnan’s Bond that pulled the film series out of its longest gap, a time when many people were wondering if Bond would ever be back, and some film experts were calling Bond’s return a “several million dollar risk not worth taking” (see the documentary Everything or Nothing: The Untold Story of 007). I look forward to the day that Brosnan’s interpretation of 007 gets the same favorable reappraisal that Dalton and Moore eventually received. Perhaps once Bond #7 takes the reigns we will see this.
    +1
    I liked Brosnan but I definitely don't miss the Brosnan era. TND and TWINE are easily the two worst Bond films ever made. Even the abysmal Spectre is miles above those two films.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I liked Brosnan but I definitely don't miss the Brosnan era. TND and TWINE are easily the two worst Bond films ever made. Even the abysmal Spectre is miles above those two films.

No, SP is straight boring. I am not bored by TND and TWINE because they are much less bloated.

I think Bond 25 will be at least 15 minutes shorter than SP which is a good thing.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

Well that’s subjective so your statement doesn’t really hold water
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands

EoN, take NOTE!

What about two toilet scenes. One with girls and one with man.
    Then there wil be moment the wall breaks between the 3 - 4 toilets like domino's comes together and them both bring down the last girl. For some humor there can at Tanner one of toilet next door with his finger on his ear.
    Wish the Craig era was more like the Brosnan era.

1-7.gif

There. That's my controversial opinion of the day.
    _________

Re. B25: I've probably asked this before, but when can we expect the press conference to take place?
    Re. B25: I've probably asked this before, but when can we expect the press conference to take place?
    February 28th (+/- 3 working days)

Nice. Wonder if we'll hear more rumours or news before then.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

I think it’s likely. If we don’t hear rumors between now and then I guarantee that people will begin to panic again about lack of news. That is a certainty.

I think it’s likely. If we don’t hear rumors between now and then I guarantee that people will begin to panic again about lack of news. That is a certainty.

I think it's interesting how little have been leaked so far, actually. Doesn't mean we won't hear more before the press conference, but it makes you wonder what we can expect to hear.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 832
    Craig is the better bond, but brosnan has the better tenure so far. There, I said it. Tnd and twine both rank higher than qos and sp.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

EoN, take NOTE!

I just saw this last night. Quite brilliant. Best toilet fight scene I've seen since the classic in MI: Fallout. I'm not sure we'll see this level of intensity in B25, but one can hope. Looking forward to viewing episode 2 tonight.
    Murdock wrote: »
    2tRyJ3f.png
    We'll surely get this commentary again for Bond #007. Connery will always be the benchmark against whom comparisons are made.

I think it's because he didn't get an opportunity to go out on a 'high' and because CR followed DAD. Also, there is still a prevailing 'incorrect' opinion that he was dismissed (when actually, his contract just wasn't renewed due to the producers desiring a change of direction to tell the CR story, compete with Bourne who was changing the landscape, & to jump on the Nolan reboot bandwagon).
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 7,500
    NicNac wrote: »

Well that’s subjective so your statement doesn’t really hold water

Which could be said about basically any opinion uttered on this site. What is your point exactly??
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Craig is the better bond, but brosnan has the better tenure so far. There, I said it. Tnd and twine both rank higher than qos and sp.
    d

I think some will disagree with you. Brosnan got off to a good start with GE, but every film he did after was weaker and weaker. And sadly Brosnan overacts badly in TWINE which wrecks it for me. Craig's got, IMO, two classics under his belt with CR and SF, and I personally find QOS and SP far more interesting than TND and TWINE. The less said about DAD the better. Hoping Bond 25 is Craig's third classic.

ColonelSun wrote: »
    d

I think some will disagree with you. Brosnan got off to a good start with GE, but every film he did after was weaker and weaker. And sadly Brosnan overacts badly in TWINE which wrecks it for me. Craig's got, IMO, two classics under his belt with CR and SF, and I personally find QOS and SP far more interesting than TND and TWINE. The less said about DAD the better. Hoping Bond 25 is Craig's third classic.

Certainly agree there!

Oops! Was I bashing Brosnan now? ;))
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,034
    d

These are fair criticisms, especially the statement that QoS and SP are more interesting. However, imo, a valid counter-claim to that statement would be that they're arguably interesting for a lot of the things they don't get right.

The Brosnan era had less lofty ambitions compared to QoS and SP, which both had interesting ideas behind them but were ultimately disappointing in execution compared to TND and TWINE which were fairly standard adventures executed competently. I suppose a lot of people find a by-the-numbers film, executed reasonably well, more entertaining than an thematic ambitious failure, which is fair enough.

Apples and oranges, I guess.

Also hoping the next film is a third thumbs up for the Craig era. All the signs for Bond 25 are good.

d

These are fair criticisms, especially the statement that QoS and SP are more interesting. However, imo, a valid counter-claim to that statement would be that they're arguably interesting for a lot of the things they don't get right.

The Brosnan era had less lofty ambitions compared to QoS and SP, which both had interesting ideas behind them but were ultimately disappointing in execution compared to TND and TWINE which were fairly standard adventures executed competently. I suppose a lot of people find a by-the-numbers film, executed reasonably well, more entertaining than an thematic ambitious failure, which is fair enough.

Also hoping the next film is a third thumbs up for the Craig era. All the signs for Bond 25 are good.

TND and TWINE "executed competently"??

Well, that sure is debatable. Apples and oranges as you say.
    jobo wrote: »
    d

I'd certainly hold the opinion that they were acceptable but not outstanding. That's pretty close to the definition of competent, right?

Everything's debatable. That particular debate would be saved for a different thread though.

Hopefully we'll never have to have that debate about Bond 25.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Let's not turn the Bond25 thread in another Battle of the Bonds stravaganza, shall we?

Cause then we enter the subjectivity zone and the fan battle royale zone. And none of that brings us closer to discussing Bond25.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    d

I'd certainly hold the opinion that they were acceptable but not outstanding. That's pretty close to the definition of competent, right?

Everything's debatable. That particular debate would be saved for a different thread though.

The debate is inevitable, I'm afraid. I can't see anything being viewed unanimously in this day and age. The film makers have delivered two financially successful consecutive entries which have polarized the site fanbase to a degree. I don't see B25 being any different, in time. Initially there is likely to be some positive unanimity however, as there was with SP (difficult to believe now perhaps, but it was there right at the start).
    bondjames wrote: »
    d

The debate is inevitable, I'm afraid. I can't see anything being viewed unanimously in this day and age. The film makers have delivered two financially successful consecutive entries which have polarized the site fanbase to a degree. I don't see B25 being any different, in time. Initially there is likely to be some positive unanimity however, as there was with SP (difficult to believe now perhaps, but it was there right at the start).

Fair points, and you're probably right. People have certain expectations of the Craig era thematically now, so I suppose it's a certainty that the people who have issues with the last 14 years will continue to have them.

Thankfully, my own personal issues are mostly limited to SP, so I don't have too much to worry about!

I remember the initial positivity, alright. Simpler times!

My issue with the Brosnan era is similar to the Craig era in that they really have no idea what they want to do...

Imagine if you will instead of Janus being introduced and destroyed in the same film we had a few films to build up to it with perhaps trevellyan’s reveal being more shocking two films later... similar to Craig he had his own organization to take down but when they got the Spectre rights back suddenly Bond takes down both quantum and Spectre in one film seriously I get that if the villain always gets away eventually it makes the hero look incompetent but with the absence of Smersh having an organization last a few films allows not only for easier story telling but allows the producers to go back and rework the plots of the novels in new ways

Quantum (or Janus or Spectre) has a diamond smuggling operation to help increase funds stop it 007 (and the film can follow the novel diamonds are forever)
    Quantum is selling black market antiquities (and the plot of live and let die follows)

Again the one tiny tiny issue I have had with Michael and Babs era is the constant throwing the baby out with the bath water.... sigh so tomorrow it will be a month till the press conference cool
    I think it is fairly obvious that if EON had the rights to the SPECTRE organization back in 2007, they would have used it from the get go. Quantum was there as a replacement, with SPECTRE in mind. So I don't think it is odd at all that when they finally aquired the rights to it, they thought "now we finally have what we wanted from the beginning, let's include SPECTRE into the already established Craig saga". Wether it was a good decision or was handled well is another thing. But I can definitely understand the motivation.