No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Craig is the better bond, but brosnan has the better tenure so far. There, I said it. Tnd and twine both rank higher than qos and sp.
    d

I think some will disagree with you. Brosnan got off to a good start with GE, but every film he did after was weaker and weaker. And sadly Brosnan overacts badly in TWINE which wrecks it for me. Craig's got, IMO, two classics under his belt with CR and SF, and I personally find QOS and SP far more interesting than TND and TWINE. The less said about DAD the better. Hoping Bond 25 is Craig's third classic.

Count me in this camp-- and I've had a solid crush on QoS for several years now (and it's settled into my top ten nicely).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    peter wrote: »
    Craig is the better bond, but brosnan has the better tenure so far. There, I said it. Tnd and twine both rank higher than qos and sp.
    d

I think some will disagree with you. Brosnan got off to a good start with GE, but every film he did after was weaker and weaker. And sadly Brosnan overacts badly in TWINE which wrecks it for me. Craig's got, IMO, two classics under his belt with CR and SF, and I personally find QOS and SP far more interesting than TND and TWINE. The less said about DAD the better. Hoping Bond 25 is Craig's third classic.

Count me in this camp-- and I've had a solid crush on QoS for several years now (and it's settled into my top ten nicely).

Not quite in mine (it was languishing around 13th or 14th spot on my last ranking if I recall correctly), but there's plenty there to admire.

SP is down around 20/21 for me.

Hoping for a top 5 worthy entry in 2020 ;)
    d

Not quite in mine (it was languishing around 13th or 14th spot on my last ranking if I recall correctly), but there's plenty there to admire.

Now that is something we all can agree on at least! ;)
    jobo wrote: »
    d

Common ground is the best kind of ground to be on! ;)
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541
    d

Common ground is the best kind of ground to be on! ;)

Agreed
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 15,818
    In some aspects, the Pierce films seemed to indicate the Bond formula rather than letting it flow naturally. The formula called attention to itself.

That said, in this day and age I would without hesitation, take that over an era which avoids the formula to the extent the films no longer feel like Bond films.

Controversial opinion:
    Bond films should end with 007 getting laid, unless they are truthfully following one of the novels that lacks that type of scenario.

Craig's films, do not. No, I don't count SPECTRE in that category. Craig's films tend to end in a similar style to other popular story arc films of the day.
    I had a friend ask me if there was an additional post credits scene at the end of SKYFALL that led to the next film. She also asked if she should watch the other 2 Craig films to get an idea what the story would be. I said, "No, just find a copy of LALD or any of the Connery's instead".
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,087
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Controversial opinion:
    Bond films should end with 007 getting laid, unless they are truthfully following one of the novels that lacks that type of scenario.

I agree, it's the perfect climax. (No pun intended)
    I should have posted that comment in the other thread actually, but the Pierce conversation here just brought it out.

I must admit I do miss Pierce, but I have a hard time getting thru TWINE these days, GE's score still seems out of place, and DAD is my least fave film in the series. That only leaves TND.

Perhaps B25 will seamlessly return to classic Bond formula with Craig elements inserted?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Controversial opinion:

I agree, it's the perfect climax. (No pun intended)

Indeed, a happy ending.

• mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    My problem with the Brosnan Bond’s is that they are not Fleming’s Bond. The Craig era brought that back, and I hope that continues with B25.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,423
    Neither was Connery's Bond, neither was Moore's Bond. Yet these two made the series popular more than the book Bond would have, and Brosnan's Bond brought the franchise back from the dead as stated above by one of the commentators.
  • So they're shooting in Norway? That's perfect for some skiing scenes. I really want to see Craigs' Bond skiing, even if it's a stunt double.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,034
    My problem with the Brosnan Bond’s is that they are not Fleming’s Bond. The Craig era brought that back, and I hope that continues with B25.

They brought some of it back. There's about as much Fleming in SP as there is in TWINE i.e. very little.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Other than quips after deaths, Connery’s Bond is very much Fleming’s. The quips serve to make him relatable in a way that the internal monologues you get in the book do.

The terrible Brosnan era, poorly written, directed, acted, etc., culminating in DAD which required a series reboot, is relevant as long as those who produced it are still in charge. When third gen takes over, it can go to bed. Though I will add, I hold MGW more responsible for Brosnan era than Barbara. I think CR was her stretching her wings... now what follows is her watch, so yeah...

But now is a time for optimism... we know Craig’s intent is to go out on a high and I do think they’ll manage a better script and there is a good director whose track record is pretty impressive... I think expecting best since CR is reasonable. If it matches or surpasses, that would be a dream, but it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility so why not be excited...
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Other than quips after deaths, Connery’s Bond is very much Fleming’s. The quips serve to make him relatable in a way that the internal monologues you get in the book do.

The terrible Brosnan era, poorly written, directed, acted, etc., culminating in DAD which required a series reboot, is relevant as long as those who produced it are still in charge. When third gen takes over, it can go to bed. Though I will add, I hold MGW more responsible for Brosnan era than Barbara. I think CR was her stretching her wings... now what follows is her watch, so yeah...

But now is a time for optimism... we know Craig’s intent is to go out on a high and I do think they’ll manage a better script and there is a good director whose track record is pretty impressive... I think expecting best since CR is reasonable. If it matches or surpasses, that would be a dream, but it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility so why not be excited...

I agree. Connery is Fleming's Bond with added Terence Young touches. I personally feel Connery in DN and FRWL are the truest interpretations of Fleming's Bond on he screen.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Nicely stated, @DoctorNo ... Like you, I have been impressed with all of CF's output. He's a surprising candidate as in, he's not a director for hire. He marches by the beat of his own drum, so obviously, after the Boyle debacle, the producers (including those at Universal (since, as distributors, they would have had to sign off on the director)), saw something in his vision for B25.

Optimistic, indeed.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    NicNac wrote: »
    I liked Brosnan but I definitely don't miss the Brosnan era. TND and TWINE are easily the two worst Bond films ever made. Even the abysmal Spectre is miles above those two films.

Well that’s subjective so your statement doesn’t really hold water

Which could be said about basically any opinion uttered on this site. What is your point exactly??
    There is offering opinions and there is presenting opinion as fact. This is the latter.

Besides which, this is the Production thread, not the Bond film ranking thread
    I liked Brosnan but I definitely don't miss the Brosnan era. TND and TWINE are easily the two worst Bond films ever made. Even the abysmal Spectre is miles above those two films.

Which could be said about basically any opinion uttered on this site. What is your point exactly??
    There is offering opinions and there is presenting opinion as fact. This is the latter.

So if you include an IMHO everything changes? Come on...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

So if you include an IMHO everything changes? Come on...
    Absolutely..,.IMHO
    Craig has such a particular style of acting. He's very good in everything I've seen him in though. That clip alone is better than Brosnan's whole Bond tenure.

I’d really like to know why every time someone compares any aspect of the Bond franchise, Brosnan & his tenure are always brought up as an example of low quality. I find it a bit sad and annoying how his films are always mentioned at every possible occasion just to complain about his tenure again. There are plenty of places to discuss the 1995-2002 era, I would like to have at least one thread without seeing Brosnan being trashed again for no reason. He wasn’t mentioned once in this thread for quite a while now, let’s keep it that way if he only gets brought up for complaints.

It's because he's the worst Bond
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    With no one particular in mind, sometimes the H in IMHO should stand for Hubris ;)
    Craig has such a particular style of acting. He's very good in everything I've seen him in though. That clip alone is better than Brosnan's whole Bond tenure.

I’d really like to know why every time someone compares any aspect of the Bond franchise, Brosnan & his tenure are always brought up as an example of low quality. I find it a bit sad and annoying how his films are always mentioned at every possible occasion just to complain about his tenure again. There are plenty of places to discuss the 1995-2002 era, I would like to have at least one thread without seeing Brosnan being trashed again for no reason.

I felt the same way when people here compare Mi and bond films for no possible Reason whatsoever.

For no particular reason....? You're joking right?
    36 days until filming begins. Btw, if filming is delayed even by just one day, I will throw a tantrum mi6community has never seen.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    If one reads only this page of this thread one shall think this is a kindergarten.

My opinion is better than your opinion... This is the best Bond, this is the worst... I'll trow a tantrum if not this or that...

Cmon people!
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Univex wrote: »
    If one reads only this page of this thread one shall think this is a kindergarten.

My opinion is better than your opinion... This is the best Bond, this is the worst... I'll trow a tantrum if not this or that...

Cmon people!

Generally speaking, fanboys are childish by definition...
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,503
    Question is: who are in the diapers, and who are in the pull-ups?

(Picture only proof or answers are inadmissible).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Getafix wrote: »

I’d really like to know why every time someone compares any aspect of the Bond franchise, Brosnan & his tenure are always brought up as an example of low quality. I find it a bit sad and annoying how his films are always mentioned at every possible occasion just to complain about his tenure again. There are plenty of places to discuss the 1995-2002 era, I would like to have at least one thread without seeing Brosnan being trashed again for no reason. He wasn’t mentioned once in this thread for quite a while now, let’s keep it that way if he only gets brought up for complaints.
    It's because he's the worst Bond
    No. That's just your opinion. And I'll leave it at that.
    tumblr_m9ggauSN8I1rdutw3o1_400.gif
    RfI.gif
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    d

With exception to SP I'm here as well, QOS also now sits inside my top 10, only SP isn't in there from the DC era for me it languishes at no. 24.

I'm supremely confident about Bond 25 and I can't see them dropping the ball again, they know that things weren't right with SP and they are unlikely to repeat them. Firing Boyle and putting the films release back show me they were smart enough to recognize the problem and rectify it while they had time.

They know they should have stepped in sooner with SP and that film was a car crash from the get go, but they let it go into production.

We are acting like the series has never had duds or serious mistakes, one thing is for sure that we'll be at this juncture again in the future. These films are never going to be consistently great one after the other and of course there is the element of you are never going to please all the people all the time.

There is a varied opinion of what is good and bad even here, outside of our little world peoples ideas of what is good Bond and what is bad Bond is even more diverse.

No we shouldn't be nasty about others choices but I'd hope we should be able to challenge others views and state our case even if some of Pierce's fans see him being the one who gets picked on all time.

As much flak as Brosnan gets here I don't exactly see Craig getting an easy time and when the next guy comes there are those who just can't wait to unload on why he wasn't good enough once he's gone.

Brosnan's criticism is more open and blatant doesn't mean that Craig isn't being criticized, there is some pretty subtle and covert bashing of him going out there and that's fair but please less of all the Brosnan is always the punch bag, it's tit-for-tat in my book.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Now, about Norway, Sandgren, Fukunaga, Craig, Tunisia,...

bigstock-172722398.jpg
    methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fd4f137d6-9255-11e7-a2ce-ce94682a575d.jpg?crop=1053%2C592%2C246%2C34&resize=685
    w_atlantic_road_587259572_ss.jpg?h=450&w=690
    Norway-Itinerary-20.jpg
    svart.jpg

Pretty possible locations, right? Full of colour and vibrant cinematic possibilities. Second one is Cadiz, btw. Could very well double for Tunisia. And if anyone mentions MI:3 because of that Norwegian bridge/road, I'll trow another Arnold at you! Gorgeous, original locations for what is going to be a very original film, no doubt.