No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I don't want locations for a Bond film just because they look nice. They have to have a purpose. There's nothing less creatively inspiring than shoehorning a vacation spot into a serious story: "Wow, here we are in this beautiful country!" *audience applause*. Nothing beautiful piques my dramatic interest. That's part of the reason the SP chase was a failure. You just know they were trying to shoehorn "a chase in Rome" so hard, they cared more about the idea rather than the final product that keeps slapping you in the face over and over "Car chase in Rome! Car chase in Rome! Car chase in Rome!!"

I would prefer edgier places. Norway seems like a step in the right direction but the rest of the locations mentioned seem uninspiring on the surface, but hopefully the make them seem dangerous.

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343
    I just can't get the point of her being an undercover double agent. Making SP completely pointless just for the sake of kill her off quickly? Or just for a twist no one cares about? Nope...
    matt_u wrote: »
    I’m very happy about Norway but can’t say the same thing about Spain (standing in for Tunesia). Bond just visited Morocco! Why another North African location this soon when there are numerous regions on the planet cinematic Bond has never visited?

You could say the same for Italy with the Craig films, with Lake Como is CR, Siena in QOS, and Rome in SP.

Don't forget Venice at the end of CR and Lake Garda (PTS) and Talamone (Mathis relais) in QoS. BTW it's not the first time, also Moore came to Italy not only three times, but three time in a row! (Costa Smeralda, Venice, Cortina).
    I liked Brosnan but I definitely don't miss the Brosnan era. TND and TWINE are easily the two worst Bond films ever made. Even the abysmal Spectre is miles above those two films.
    Oh gimme a break!!! TND is a Bond classic compared to the ugly mess that was “BrotherGate”.

The only ugly thing about the "FosterBrotherx2WintersGate" was pretending some so severe British Baroque architecture like the Blenheim Palace could belong to the city with the most incredibile and unique architecture heritage in the world. Shame.

I just hope in 25 they would not mess too much with locations doubling other places in such a stupid way.

Well said. Considering they spent so much on the car chase a real shame they couldn't stretch to a Rome location for the big spectre meet.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 832
    Nothing about ignoring the events of SP, or any of the past 4 films, would be "bizarre", notwithstanding the uniqueness of the Craig era. The tried to give the Craig films greater continuity, but its apparently not fully realized that, as much potential as it may have had, this project was a failure. The good films of this era are CR and SF, neither dependent on events of a previous film. Eon made the right decision in ignoring QOS in SF, and there was nothing bizarre about that. Bond 25 SHOULD be to SP as SF was to QOS.
    Bond blew up oberhausers base in morocco, I highly doubt spectre was confined to that single location. There still out there.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,087
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Bond blew up oberhausers base in morocco, I highly doubt spectre was confined to that single location. There still out there.

Exactly. "The Author of all your pain, oh wait you blew up my base and put me in prison, guess that's the end of that"? Hellllllllll, no!
    Tuck91 wrote: »

Exactly. "The Author of all your pain, oh wait you blew up my base and put me in prison, guess that's the end of that"? Hellllllllll, no!

I don't care about how much/ little sense it makes. Continuing this plotline is guaranteed to be bad.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I doubt Oberhauser would be in jail that long. Considering they have very little evidence and was captured by a rogue agent and the MI-6 geek squad that was fired previously. And with C dead at his own office it would be more likely that M, Q, Moneypenny and Tanner would be the ones locked up. :))

The PM is going to have a field day with that one.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,869
    I don't think we're going to be seeing Christoph Waltz return. The producers are surely aware of how unsuccessful he was in Spectre. This would also mean no Garden of Death, because you can't do that story without Blofeld, and if they were to just make Dr Guntram Shatterhand a villain in his own right then what would be the point of adapting the material?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited January 2019 Posts: 11,139
    I don't want locations for a Bond film just because they look nice. They have to have a purpose. There's nothing less creatively inspiring than shoehorning a vacation spot into a serious story: "Wow, here we are in this beautiful country!" *audience applause*. Nothing beautiful piques my dramatic interest. That's part of the reason the SP chase was a failure. You just know they were trying to shoehorn "a chase in Rome" so hard, they cared more about the idea rather than the final product that keeps slapping you in the face over and over "Car chase in Rome! Car chase in Rome! Car chase in Rome!!"

I would prefer edgier places. Norway seems like a step in the right direction but the rest of the locations mentioned seem uninspiring on the surface, but hopefully the make them seem dangerous.

Agreed. It also didn't help that the so called car chase was absolute shit.
    There are car commercials that are more exciting than that car chase.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

This is so true. Do you remember the BMW series of ads with Clive Owen?

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    talos7 wrote: »
    You mean The Hire. :D
    You can have a car chase in Rome, you should just make it feel like... people live there.

Spectre meeting should have been at Castel St. Angelo

Indeed, the talent involved with that campaign was phenomenal.

Yeah, they were great!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Indeed, the talent involved with that campaign was phenomenal.
    Agreed. I still might have the DVD for it somewhere. Been a while since I've seen them, but I remember them being rather well. Too damn well, in fact. Some of the stories were straight-out feature length film-worthy. Makes you wonder what are some filmmakers doing these days.

That said, @talos7, have you seen the newest episode released a couple of years ago?
    I have not seen the recent one.

For those not familiar, check out the filmmakers involved.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hire
    FourDot wrote: »
    You can have a car chase in Rome, you should just make it feel like... people live there.

Spectre meeting should have been at Castel St. Angelo

The idea of having a car chase in Rome was brilliant. The execution however... Such a wasted opportunity!
    I can't help but feel a lot of that was due to the use of the DB10 and the Jag. I'm hoping they go with more pedestrian models for 25, if there is to be a chase, to allow them to feel more free to trash the cars.
    MooreFun wrote: »
    I can't help but feel a lot of that was due to the use of the DB10 and the Jag. I'm hoping they go with more pedestrian models for 25, if there is to be a chase, to allow them to feel more free to trash the cars.

Also don't be afraid to do a bit of greenscreen if needed now that you've got ILM on board.

And have maybe several cars pursuing Bond? This is basic stuff that the Mendes set pieces neglect. It thematically made sense in Skyfall, not so for Spectre.
    I must have missed this, is ILM working on Bond 25?
    I must have missed this, is ILM working on Bond 25?

Don't know, that was more of a reference to Spectre in hindsight
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    MooreFun wrote: »

I think you’re right. Plus, they filmed in parts of Rome where they had to be careful. For that sequence, it seems that EON and Mendes thought more in terms of a location that was unique, instead of a location that would be practical.
  • @DaltonCraig007 @ClarkDevlin

A Dragon Tattoo nod with the actress would be phenomenal.....that was around the time when QoS was the prior Bond movie and Craig had set his stage for his 007 and was proving himself viable for carrying multiple franchises before Sony unnecessarily rebooted the series similar to how SF did to his Bond....NOT COOL!
  • echo wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Well, the return of Seydoux is locked since her presence was confirmed by the director himself.

I just pray she's not going to be revealed as a secret double agent. It would be something truly annoying since :

1. Bond already experienced betrayal from Vesper;
    2. A turnaround like this would make SP pointless;
    3. Bond cannot be cheated this way anymore.

What if Bond found out she was a double agent in the PTS, and had to kill her? Then he loses his mind, Garden of Death, etc. At least that would be a different take than Tracy redux.

All of this just redoubles my frustration with SP: it was a good enough film, but

a) given the money and talent, it could have been far better, and
    b) it has painted EON into a hell of a corner.

If Seydoux is indeed to return (and to have some role in the story, or to mean something to Bond and us when she's killed off) they needed to have spent far more time in SP convincing us that she matters and that her relationship with Bond is meaningful. Re-watch OHMSS or CR if you need to see it done right. Instead we lavished time on the 9-eyes subplot or the Rome car chase or any number of other things, and none will mean much in B25.
  • My prediction is that Madeleine is the main Bond girl/leading lady of the film.

I recall a similar thing happening last time with SP. Lea Seydoux’s name was leaked early in the summer of 2014 by Schomes Knows and then Baz confirmed in October 2014. We all thought that Seydoux was the secondary Bond girl – however, we had a very dry news spell leading up to the press conference.

The day before the conference, it leaked that Monica Bellucci had a smaller role as a Bond girl. Which meant Seydoux was, in all along, the leading lady. This was confirmed the following day by Sam Mendes at Pinewood.

Perhaps, the lack of news confirms that Lea Seydoux plays a much larger role in the film?…..Food for thought.

I like Lea Seydoux’s performance in SP a lot – but, need some convincing that she deserves a reprise.

Here are some recent photos from last week at Paris Fashion Week 2019 – which Fukunaga also attended:

lea-seydoux-at-boucheron-cocktail-party-in-paris-01-20-2019-0_thumbnail.jpg

2.%20Le%CC%81a%20Seydoux%20@Getty%20Images.jpg

The dark hair will immediately make every one say she's the villain...
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541
    My prediction is that Madeleine is the main Bond girl/leading lady of the film.

I recall a similar thing happening last time with SP. Lea Seydoux’s name was leaked early in the summer of 2014 by Schomes Knows and then Baz confirmed in October 2014. We all thought that Seydoux was the secondary Bond girl – however, we had a very dry news spell leading up to the press conference.

The day before the conference, it leaked that Monica Bellucci had a smaller role as a Bond girl. Which meant Seydoux was, in all along, the leading lady. This was confirmed the following day by Sam Mendes at Pinewood.

Perhaps, the lack of news confirms that Lea Seydoux plays a much larger role in the film?…..Food for thought.

I like Lea Seydoux’s performance in SP a lot – but, need some convincing that she deserves a reprise.

Here are some recent photos from last week at Paris Fashion Week 2019 – which Fukunaga also attended:

lea-seydoux-at-boucheron-cocktail-party-in-paris-01-20-2019-0_thumbnail.jpg

2.%20Le%CC%81a%20Seydoux%20@Getty%20Images.jpg

The dark hair will immediately make every one say she's the villain...

Indeed till this day i believe that she is playing a Villian which would make sense of her and bond having a bad chemistry. Although lack of news could also means EON is finally at the top of their game again.
  • I don't read much into the lack of news except that EON was burned by the Sony leaks and have re-committed themselves to keeping things sealed.

As usual, I'm more concerned by the news that we actually do hear.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Maddy is the villain who stayed undercover for five years, half a decade, before revealing herself to Bond?

And secret agent James Bond was clueless for five years, half a decade, before she reveals herself to him?

Uh...