No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Univex wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    With the castle of Blofeld in mind, I always thought this location here in Naoshima Island, Japan, would be perfect for a Bond movie.

benesse-3756.jpg?w=770&h=513

508d9ac3e7454641b5ec8026feb0c47d--circle-architecture-museum-architecture.jpg

Bloody hell, that's amazing. Why don't they see these things? They scream Bond.

Because they should hire a good architect as a location consultant! XD

Imagine B25 beginning with Bond and Madeleine spending their time away in an house by the beach like this:

Paraty-House-01-800x533.jpg

Paraty%2BHome%2Barchitecture%2B10.jpg

Or something made by Lautner, who designed the Elrod House that we saw in DAF...

regentsuchammer_image_16.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    I liked Brosnan but I definitely don't miss the Brosnan era. TND and TWINE are easily the two worst Bond films ever made. Even the abysmal Spectre is miles above those two films.
    Oh gimme a break!!! TND is a Bond classic compared to the ugly mess that was “BrotherGate”.

The only ugly thing about the "FosterBrotherx2WintersGate" was pretending some so severe British Baroque architecture like the Blenheim Palace could belong to the city with the most incredibile and unique architecture heritage in the world. Shame.

I just hope in 25 they would not mess too much with locations doubling other places in such a stupid way.
    I agree with you. The use of Blenheim Palace as an Italian locale was quite idiotic and a bit insulting. It's reasonably well known also. It showed a lack of preparation and attention to detail, particularly for a production of this size. Lowest common denominator film making.

They've had a lot of time to get this right and the world is getting smaller every year. A place that might be a geopolitical hotspot today could very well be a tourist attraction tomorrow. James Bond films are revisited by generations. Therefore if they are going to pick a location to stand in for someplace else, I'd prefer it if they can do their very best to ensure that it doesn't give itself away to a trained eye.
    With the castle of Blofeld in mind, I always thought this location here in Naoshima Island, Japan, would be perfect for a Bond movie.

Because they should hire a good architect as a location consultant! XD

Imagine B25 beginning with Bond and Madeleine spending their time away in an house by the beach like this:

Paraty-House-01-800x533.jpg

Paraty%2BHome%2Barchitecture%2B10.jpg

Or something made by Lautner, who designed the Elrod House that we saw in DAF...

regentsuchammer_image_16.jpg
    My father was an architect and he did a lot of work in tropical climates. So I grew up around books and photos of amazing structures and buildings. Those first two photos are very Bondian indeed, and the Elrod House is a classic.

EDIT: I recall him and I discussing the architecture and the landmarks in the classic films when we used to watch them together when I was a kid.
    Those are amazing!
    bondjames wrote: »
    I liked Brosnan but I definitely don't miss the Brosnan era. TND and TWINE are easily the two worst Bond films ever made. Even the abysmal Spectre is miles above those two films.
    Oh gimme a break!!! TND is a Bond classic compared to the ugly mess that was “BrotherGate”.

The only ugly thing about the "FosterBrotherx2WintersGate" was pretending some so severe British Baroque architecture like the Blenheim Palace could belong to the city with the most incredibile and unique architecture heritage in the world. Shame.

I just hope in 25 they would not mess too much with locations doubling other places in such a stupid way.
    I agree with you. The use of Blenheim Palace as an Italian locale was quite idiotic and a bit insulting. It's reasonably well known also. It showed a lack of preparation and attention to detail, particularly for a production of this size. Lowest common denominator film making.

They've had a lot of time to get this right and the world is getting smaller every year. A place that might be a geopolitical hotspot today could very well be a tourist attraction tomorrow. James Bond films are revisited by generations. Therefore if they are going to pick a location to stand in for someplace else, I'd prefer it if they can do their very best to ensure that it doesn't give itself away to a trained eye.

My father was an architect and he did a lot of work in tropical climates. So I grew up around books and photos of amazing structures and buildings. Those first two photos are very Bondian indeed, and the Elrod House is a classic.

EDIT: I recall him and I discussing the architecture and the landmarks in the classic films when we used to watch them together when I was a kid.

Couldn't agree more. Then, they even modeled the interior of this fictional British Baroque "Palazzo Cardenza" located two steps from the Vatican City literally copying the style of the Reggia of Caserta. Wtf... a mess.

I'm a (junior) architect too, I can understand which kind of discussions you're talking about... the fact that architecture has always represented a fundamental tool defining the tone, the scope and feeling in a Bond movie is something now I feel is a bit lost, with few pale exceptions. Or perhaps is not that prominent as in the beginning of the series.

I'm sure they do, and I'm sure they'd love to use them, and I'm sure some of them are prohibitively expensive.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883

Couldn't agree more. Then, they even modeled the interior of this fictional British Baroque "Palazzo Cardenza" located two steps from the Vatican City literally copying the style of the Reggia of Caserta. Wtf... a mess.

I'm a (junior) architect too, I can understand which kind of discussions you're talking about... the fact that architecture has always represented a fundamental tool defining the tone, the scope and feeling in a Bond movie is something now I feel is a bit lost, with few pale exceptions. Or perhaps is not that prominent as in the beginning of the series.
    I believe Adam was an architect as well, and so his sensibilities may have influenced the manner in which that became an interesting element in the earlier films. Hitchcock also provided inspiration, particularly with North By Northwest. The now iconic modernist house at the conclusion of that film doesn't exist and was just a painting apparently. It was inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's 'Fallingwater'.

A film which utilized the interior of a famous architectural landmark exceptionally well most recently was The International. The shootout in an interior model of Wright's Guggenheim was wonderfully done.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,343
    AgentM72 wrote: »

I'm sure they do, and I'm sure they'd love to use them, and I'm sure some of them are prohibitively expensive.

Speaking about houses, I don't think that's a problem if they can spend 36 million $ just for destroying a bunch of supercars...

The famous Goldstein House (featured in The Big Lebowski) costs 600$/hr for filming. Just like the Elrod House that's a classic.

1_custom-072fb21dd04dc7ba1d7b253eb6fcdb8bbe4bfb38-s800-c85.jpg
    Now, about Norway, Sandgren, Fukunaga, Craig, Tunisia,...

bigstock-172722398.jpg
    methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fd4f137d6-9255-11e7-a2ce-ce94682a575d.jpg?crop=1053%2C592%2C246%2C34&resize=685
    w_atlantic_road_587259572_ss.jpg?h=450&w=690
    Norway-Itinerary-20.jpg
    svart.jpg

Pretty possible locations, right? Full of colour and vibrant cinematic possibilities. Second one is Cadiz, btw. Could very well double for Tunisia. And if anyone mentions MI:3 because of that Norwegian bridge/road, I'll trow another Arnold at you! Gorgeous, original locations for what is going to be a very original film, no doubt.

If I am not mistaken I do believe Cadiz doubled for Cuba in DAD?

Some of these photo's of houses/Castle's …..etc. Are just eye watering. If I owned one I would let EON use it for nothing as my only cost would be to meet the cast. Once the film is released your property value would rocket too. So from a huge Bond fan it would be a win win for me. Shame it will never happen. Lol!

I believe Adam was an architect as well, and so his sensibilities may have influenced the manner in which that became an interesting element in the earlier films. Hitchcock also provided inspiration, particularly with North By Northwest. The now iconic modernist house at the conclusion of that film doesn't exist and was just a painting apparently. It was inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright's 'Fallingwater'.

A film which utilized the interior of a famous architectural landmark exceptionally well most recently was The International. The shootout in an interior model of Wright's Guggenheim was wonderfully done.

Yes I believe he was. I recently saw a movie which features a lot of fictional modernist architecture, The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper. In fact, the movie is about this architect who struggles to express his style and vision. Zack Snyder is going to direct a remake. Recently a beautiful house designed by Studio KO in Marocco was featured in M:I-Rogue Nation. I would love if 25 features some iconic architecture, especially with a vibrant neo-modernist vibe. Also, I've always been very impressed by the crazy arabesque house featured in LTK.
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Once the film is released your property value would rocket too. So from a huge Bond fan it would be a win win for me. Shame it will never happen. Lol!

Don't forget the invitation for the London premiere with a seat inbetween the main Bond girls. XD
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Do we think Bond 25 will feature Waltz or a different Blofeld?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Neither.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Some terrific locations up there. Hope B25 will feature places akin to those.
    The Fountainhead is a classic! Great film. Damned remakes! One of Cooper’s best performances. Doesn’t really need a remake, IMO.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,087
    jake24 wrote: »
    Neither.

That would be bizarre, wouldn't it? They just made a big song and dance about Blofeld, being Bonds sibling. How are they going to get around that. SP introduced the idea that all the previous films are connnected, into one big story with Blofeld (and Bond ofcourse) at the centre. They can't really just sweep that under the rug and hope nobody notices . It wouldn't be very prudent.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Neither.

That would be bizarre, wouldn't it? They just made a big song and dance about Blofeld, being Bonds sibling. How are they going to get around that. SP introduced the idea that all the previous films are connnected, into one big story with Blofeld (and Bond ofcourse) at the centre. They can't really just sweep that under the rug and hope nobody notices . It wouldn't be very prudent.

And why do you think that didn't work?

Speaking about houses, I don't think that's a problem if they can spend 36 million $ just for destroying a bunch of supercars...

The famous Goldstein House (featured in The Big Lebowski) costs 600$/hr for filming. Just like the Elrod House that's a classic.

1_custom-072fb21dd04dc7ba1d7b253eb6fcdb8bbe4bfb38-s800-c85.jpg
    That's quite stunning, and beautifully lit too.

Yes I believe he was. I recently saw a movie which features a lot of fictional modernist architecture, The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper. In fact, the movie is about this architect who struggles to express his style and vision. Zack Snyder is going to direct a remake. Recently a beautiful house designed by Studio KO in Marocco was featured in M:I-Rogue Nation. I would love if 25 features some iconic architecture, especially with a vibrant neo-modernist vibe. Also, I've always been very impressed by the crazy arabesque house featured in LTK.
    Thanks for mentioning The Fountainhead. I'll definitely check that out.

Yes, I remember that house in RN. Very nice, although Ferguson coming out of the pool contributed to my appreciation.

Modernist would be nice in a future Bond film, but even traditional can work very well if incorporated into the plot properly. Both in the same film could work too. As an example, Fekkesh's residence in TSWLM always impresses me, and especially the way it's filmed from different angles to showcase the height of the ceilings.
    Fekkesh's residence in TSWLM always impresses me, and especially the way it's filmed from different angles to showcase the height of the ceilings.

Quite. A very well chosen location.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited January 2019 Posts: 3,157

100% agreed. Don't forget spending huge amounts of money just to create the biggest explosion ever no one cared about.

My money is on Waltz returning. If he doesn't, then they won't recast Blofeld for B25.
    Walecs wrote: »

My money is on Waltz returning. If he doesn't, then they won't recast Blofeld for B25.

So Blofeld is dead? It would be a bold move after four films, to have Bonds arch enemy die offscreen.

At the least, they would have to cover it in a PTS, ala FYEO.
  • MaxCasinoMaxCasino United States
    edited January 2019 Posts: 4,113

100% agreed. Don't forget spending huge amounts of money just to create the biggest explosion ever no one cared about.

I'm surprised that very little casting news has leaked. PS if Waltz does come back, don't believe anything he says.

http://collider.com/spectre-christoph-waltz-not-blofeld/

However, he does deserve a second chance as Blofeld, he does have the talent.
    Maybe Blofeld does come back but they don't mention anything about it at the press conference. Keep it a secret, like
    Bruce Willis in Spilt
    It all depends where they want to go with the story. From Bond's perspective Blofeld is a closed chapter. He unmasked both him and his organization. He defeated him, humiliating him. He proved again that - just like when they were kids and Bond was better than him in everything, triggering Franz crazy envy that led to the murder of his dad - nobody does it better than James. So imagining Blofeld trapped in a prison just like his beloved meteorite would not be a problem for me.

So Blofeld is dead? It would be a bold move after four films, to have Bonds arch enemy die offscreen.

Don't even mention that embarrassing scene as an example to follow. Jokes aside I understand your point of view but I don't see how leaving Blofeld rot in jail could be a problem.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I don't want Waltz to be in the film, whether its fully or just as a cameo. No thank you.
    On the bright side were probably only around thirty days from a press conference!

Its strongly suspected that Malik will be the Villian and Lea Seydoux will return in some form. Also strongly hinted that Norway will be a location. I wonder what other tidbits they have in store next month?
    Well, the return of Seydoux is locked since her presence was confirmed by the director himself.

I just pray she's not going to be revealed as a secret double agent. It would be something truly annoying since :

1. Bond already experienced betrayal from Vesper;
    2. A turnaround like this would make SP pointless;
    3. Bond cannot be cheated this way anymore.
    Neither.

No, it wouldn’t be bizarre at all. Bond defeated and captured Blofeld at the end of Spectre, and with that Blofeld’s story ended.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    The press tour for 'Alita' is kicking off soon, so I imagine more than a few journalists will be asking Waltz about B25.
    Well, the return of Seydoux is locked since her presence was confirmed by the director himself.

I just pray she's not going to be revealed as a secret double agent. It would be something truly annoying since :

There is no conceivable use for lea that wouldn't be this bad or worse, other than her not having a substantial role.

Why on earth would he be dead? He is rotting in prison until the end of his life.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

What if Bond found out she was a double agent in the PTS, and had to kill her? Then he loses his mind, Garden of Death, etc. At least that would be a different take than Tracy redux.