Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I have no objection to giving Lara some character development, but I also expect to actually like the character of Lara, and I don't. I feel she does all her adventuring only for her father, or because she is forced by circumstances. It feels like a traumatic job for her, not a source of passion. It's a different take on the character; too different for my taste. Furthermore, assuming the intention in this new continuity was for her to begin as moody and intense and eventually lighten up and become more fun, I must say I don't like that either. I would've preferred they had the fun traits of Lara in place since the beginning, and developed her character over the games exclusively in regards to her inexperience and moral standing on things.
    +1. Spot on!

Played the 2013 reboot and its sequel, had a look at the walkthrough videos and footages for the latest, and I can say I don't like it one bit. This new take, that is. That's definitely not the Tomb Raider that I knew, and it's definitely not the Lara I loved. The new series, for all the reasons you pointed out, is not for me at all. Hence I jumped ship.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 2,107
    I have no time for a new TR, as I'm busy replaying RDR and Marvel's Spider-Man, before RDR2 comes out next month.

Also the new TR looks a bit samey as the last two. I can wait for it to get cheaper.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I like both the original Lara, and the reebot Lara. And while I would like to play SHADOW, I have enough on my plate with Marvel's Spider-Man, Train Sim World, Yakuza 0, Kingdom Come: Deliverance and a handful of others that I have finished, but need to mop up some trophies.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 12,234
    Do we have any Crash Bandicoot fans here? I'm strongly considering getting that "N-Sane" Trilogy collection to get into that series, in addition to Tomb Raider.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Do we have any Crash Bandicoot fans here? I'm strongly considering getting that "N-Sane" Trilogy collection to get into that series, in addition to Tomb Raider.

Damn good, that collection. I recommend it.
    Awesome!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    @Creasy47 Shadow of the Tomb Raider has borrowed from Red Dead Redemption in that materials you pick up you can sell to merchants or buy weapons and materials. It's added more if an incentive to search for items.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Creasy47 Shadow of the Tomb Raider has borrowed from Red Dead Redemption in that materials you pick up you can sell to merchants or buy weapons and materials. It's added more if an incentive to search for items.

I always enjoy having more of an incentive to search a given area in a game. Awesome.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I always enjoy having more of an incentive to search a given area in a game. Awesome.

Highly recommend its probably the most visually stunning game I have seen.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and now about half-way thru Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Can’t believe I’ve missed out on these games for so long!
    Have just bought a PS4 and . . . Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (also Sniper Elite 3).
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and now about half-way thru Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception. Can’t believe I’ve missed out on these games for so long!
    Have just bought a PS4 and . . . Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (also Sniper Elite 3).

It truly is one of the best game series ever. If you haven't reached it already, there's a certain part of Drake's Deception that is very reminiscent of the final act of TLD. You're in for a treat.
    Have a few slightly off-topic questions to ask – hope that's OK!
    Over at the Chat Thread I've written about my downsizing project, in which I'm getting rid of comics and DVD's, putting DVD's I'm keeping in sleeves rather than the original cases, etc. Although that's a work in progress, I'm also having a look at my video game collection. That collection includes a PS1, PS3 (two actually!), PSP, Nintendo 64, Wii, Game Boy Color and a Game Boy Advance.

I don't play video games often any more, but I'm not looking to get rid of much of this anytime soon (might have to eventually, though). What I will do is sell some titles I won't be playing again; movie tie-in titles for PS1 for example – or similar, which probably won't be of much value. Looking at what I am keeping, I'm trying to find a good way of storing, and preserving in a best possible way.

The game cartridges for the N64 for example are currently sitting in a shelf – in a wooden crate along with the other games. The Game Boy ones are in a organizing case/wallet so that's no issue, and the Playstation ones are in the cases they came in (with a few exceptions). That's alright I guess, but are there better ways of storing the cartridges, without fearing they might fall down and break, or anything similar? Any suggestions how to keep them in good condition is appreciated!

The collector in me also managed to keep some of the cartridge boxes the N64 games and Game Boy Color/Advance games came in. Any of these worth holding on to, or should I just throw them out? There's only three N64 cases, and two of them are a bit damaged in the sides. The third is looking much better, but is missing the cardboard stuff inside that held the game in place. The Game Boy Color/Advance cases I kept are for the newer titles I bought (I think) and they look relatively undamaged, with the inside stuff in place (instruction manuals too, I believe – for some of them). Finally, I also have the boxes that the Color/Advance consoles came in – although the Color one have seen better days.

If these cases are not worth holding on to, I'll probably throw them out, as they take up a bit of needed space. If anyone here have any other organizing suggestions in general for the consoles I mentioned above, that's great too!
  • Mega Man 11 came out yesterday. It’s fun, but man it’ll make you pull your hair out!!
    The screen is insanely busy- hard to focus sometimes
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    After setting it aside for awhile, I just finished Goldeneye Rogue Agent. I have to say, this game is nowhere near as bad as it’s reputation. Is it a great game? No. Its plot plays out like bad fan-fiction, the controls often leave a bit to be desired, you rarely get a clear signal that you’ve reached a checkpoint in the very lengthy levels, and it often suffers from glitches involving the incorrect spawning of enemies (enemies not spawning, re-spawning, spawning too many, etc...). I think it also gets a bad reputation due to its shameless use of the Goldeneye name in hopes of cashing in on nostalgia, and the fact that you don’t get to play as Bond.

That said, there’s a lot to like about this game. The levels were designed by Ken Adams himself, the near-constant duel-wield mechanic is innovative and fun, and the game is satisfyingly challenging without being excessive. Even the “eye powers,” while corny and reeking of bad sci-if, are a blast to use and are very helpful.

I cannot stress enough how incredible Ken Adams’ level design is. I often found myself stopping to geek out over getting to explore a classic Bond environment, and you get even more of these environments to enjoy in split-screen multiplayer.

The gameplay reminds me a lot of Halo, with its constant motion from one battle arena to another, slogging through an onslaught of well armed enemies. Much like Halo, this game offers no variety in gameplay; it’s a straightforward shooter. I will say though, I enjoyed this game much more than any Halo title I’ve ever tried.

All told, I would recommend this game to both Bond fans, and fans of FPS in general.
  • BibiBibi Washington
    SoulCalibur 6, was the last game I’ve played it’s frustrating to play, but does what it needs to do.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2018 Posts: 13,866
    Zombie Army Trilogy (PS4)
    From Rebelllion, the developers behind the Sniper Elite series. From what I can tell, the first two parts of the trilogy, were originally released as dlc for Sniper Elite V2. A few things I have seen already back that up, such as the corridor linear map design, and some areas of the map are reworked areas from Sniper Elite V2. The underground tunnels of the Sniper Elite V2 train yard is reused. This is a really unnerving game. As if seeing the Swastika painted in blood on walls throughout the game wasn't enough, there are the ungodly sounds the undead make.

Spider-Man
    Playing on the recently released New Game+. Maximum difficulty, and all my upgrades carried over from my first playthrough. I am enjoying Spider-Man even more this time round. Once I have finished this playthrough, I will be moving on to the Black Cat dlc. The 'Last Stand' suit has overtaken the 'Noir Sut' as my favourite Spider-Man costume.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Last of Us, in preparation for the new game.

Really cool game. Troy Baker is a gem.
    I beat Tomb Raider Anniversary a couple weeks ago. Awesome game - will definitely play more TR games.

Currently getting everything in Crash Bandicoot (N-Sane Trilogy Edition). Lots of fun as well!!!
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,060
    I beat Tomb Raider Anniversary a couple weeks ago. Awesome game - will definitely play more TR games.

Currently getting everything in Crash Bandicoot (N-Sane Trilogy Edition). Lots of fun as well!!!

Replaying Tomb Raider Anniversary myself, still early in the game getting attacked by bears and dodging darts. Steam should have there sale on soon assuming its not started already?

Edited: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.techspot.com/amp/news/77075-steam-halloween-autumn-winter-sales-dates-have-leaked.html

Details of sales the next one is 29th October to 1st November, I'll have to see what bargains I can pick up myself.
    I happened to grab Resident Evil (the remake) for like 8 bucks and Resident Evil 4 for 5 bucks a few weeks ago when they had a big sale on RE games. Still haven’t touched them but those are the ones I thought would be a good way to get into that series.
    I happened to grab Resident Evil (the remake) for like 8 bucks and Resident Evil 4 for 5 bucks a few weeks ago when they had a big sale on RE games. Still haven’t touched them but those are the ones I thought would be a good way to get into that series.

That's decent value I must admit I only played the earlier Resident Evil games, though on the 29th Oct I'll certainly check what bundle deals Steam are doing, the Tomb Raider bundle I got was extremely cheap.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

That's decent value I must admit I only played the earlier Resident Evil games, though on the 29th Oct I'll certainly check what bundle deals Steam are doing, the Tomb Raider bundle I got was extremely cheap.

Play RE7 sometime. It's a beautiful return to form, even shifting from third person to first person.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Having finished Tomb Raider (2013) recently, I dived straight into Rise of The Tomb Raider, and am really enjoying it. Though I'd have to say they don't really feel like Tomb Raider games. And RoTTR looks fantastic on the PS4 (glad I finally took the plunge). Next up will be Sniper Elite 3, which I have already started, but put aside once I acquired RoTTR.
    Next up will be Sniper Elite 3, which I have already started

I still need to play that one.
    Only got to go through a bit of the "tutorial" missions in Red Dead Redemption 2 yesterday, and I was so overwhelmed by the physics and just how powerful and beautiful it all played and looked, respectively. Truly fantastic stuff, can't wait to dive into it some more today.

Play RE7 sometime. It's a beautiful return to form, even shifting from third person to first person.

I'll see if I can pick it up cheap on Steam.
    Having finished Tomb Raider (2013) recently, I dived straight into Rise of The Tomb Raider, and am really enjoying it. Though I'd have to say they don't really feel like Tomb Raider games. And RoTTR looks fantastic on the PS4 (glad I finally took the plunge). Next up will be Sniper Elite 3, which I have already started, but put aside once I acquired RoTTR.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a great game one of the better games in the series IMO, the Military installation and valley sections are great.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'd decided to return to two of my old favourites: Max Payne and Max Payne 2 The Fall Of Max Payne. I had to work out a few compatibility issues first, but after that, it was rock and roll like in the old days.

maxresdefault.jpg

I won't bother with the 3rd game, though. I prefer to use the controls every now and then.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I always have an absolute blast going through the entire trilogy.

The third game may be different and all, but I do like it.

Overall, however, my favourite is definitely the second game.
    I never got around to playing the 3rd one. I should look into picking up a copy and giving it a try.
    I loved the first two Max Payne titles, really didn't care for the direction the third one went in at all, but it definitely could've been worse. Thankfully Rockstar listened to the fans (to some extent).

I've barely touched RDR2 thanks to Fallout 76, I'm incredibly engrossed by this game, having a blast with it. Can't wait until the full thing releases.