Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It's getting rave reviews and had a bit of extra cash plus Tomb Raider is my all time favourite game series, though I often do wait till prices drop on games usually.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's getting rave reviews and had a bit of extra cash plus Tomb Raider is my all time favourite game series, though I often do wait till prices drop on games usually.

I've been trying to wait on price drops/patches and updates more these days. It's always a good idea, as impatient as I can be.

Do post your thoughts on it once you get around to it though, would love some first-hand opinions on it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,060
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I've been trying to wait on price drops/patches and updates more these days. It's always a good idea, as impatient as I can be.

Do post your thoughts on it once you get around to it though, would love some first-hand opinions on it.

Will do I am working nights this weekend though Sunday off so I'll have a good look at the game then, I waited for the majority of the extra content for Rise of the Tomb Raider and got some of the add ons free. Some gamers have advised to play Shadow of the Tomb Raider on the highest difficulty which should make the game last longer, I like to take my time with games I am not one for blasting through games as quick as possible.
    I’ve had serious interest in getting into the Tomb Raider series. Does anyone here have suggestions for the best games in the series for a newcomer? Looks like a great game series!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’ve had serious interest in getting into the Tomb Raider series. Does anyone here have suggestions for the best games in the series for a newcomer? Looks like a great game series!

Much as I love the PS1 originals, they can be extremely difficult to adapt to now. The Legend games (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) are a good place to start, tell their own story and play well. Tomb Raider 2013, as the series second reboot, is also a fine place to start, and very different from past games.

Much as I love the PS1 originals, they can be extremely difficult to adapt to now. The Legend games (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) are a good place to start, tell their own story and play well. Tomb Raider 2013, as the series second reboot, is also a fine place to start, and very different from past games.

Thanks; I’ll look into those. Have any particular entries you consider the best? Or favorites?

I have all the games the last three games are a reboot of sorts, the earlier games are slightly different and all available on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=Tomb+raider if you have a pc. Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary or Tomb Raider Underworld may be a good starting point, the games that proceeded the three I mentioned are great though the graphics have aged a bit.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Thanks; I’ll look into those. Have any particular entries you consider the best? Or favorites?

As I said, I love them all, but the Legend trilogy is definitely up there.
    Thanks guys; I appreciate it! I’m a Nintendo / PC gamer and I use Steam so I will probably be getting some of the games from there then. I look forward to beginning - probably in a week or two I will start on those. I’ve had a serious gaming itch lately and I have a few others I need to finish up before I get started on Tomb Raider. But I really really want to get into those games.
    Steam are due another sale soon, I got many of the Tomb Raider games in a bundle at the last summer sale for extremely low prices. I'll keep an eye out for the next sale date
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Awesome! If you see any sales I'd appreciate it if you notified me!
    One site claims Halloween is the next sale running for 5 days, I'll likely buy a few games at bargain price myself so I'll post when the next sale starts.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Recently started on the Uncharted series. Finished Drake’s Fortune, near the end of Among Thieves and have Drake’s Deception waiting in the wings! Also just recently bought a PS4, and A Thief’s End, should keep me busy for a while.
    Recently started on the Uncharted series. Finished Drake’s Fortune, near the end of Among Thieves and have Drake’s Deception waiting in the wings! Also just recently bought a PS4, and A Thief’s End, should keep me busy for a while.

I really should get a ps4, I have two Xbox one's the latest being a Xbox one X, I should trade the earlier one in, I have only played parts of the first two Uncharted games at a friend's though they are games I want to complete myself at some point. Horizon Zero Dawn is another ps4 title I want to play, the game looks great.
    Like others have been saying, a newcomer should start with the last trilogy (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld).

Those were the games that brought be back to play Tomb Raider games, after only being playing the very first ps1 TR and The Angel Of Darkness.

Modernized the heck out of the original gameplay.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Like others have been saying, a newcomer should start with the last trilogy (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld).

Those were the games that brought be back to play Tomb Raider games, after only being playing the very first ps1 TR and The Angel Of Darkness.

Modernized the heck out of the original gameplay.

Just recently finished Underworld, and I thought it was great. Best looking Lara and best voice actress, the lovely Keeley Hawes.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    'Legend' is my favourite, but the best/easiest jumping in point for new potential fans, would be the reboot series (Tomb Raider - Rise Of The Tomb Raider - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider) as they are the current series and easiest to get hold of.

Marvel's Spider-Man
    Already this has become one of my favourite superhero games. There hasn't been anything so far that I can fault.
  • My wife got the new Tomb Raider game a couple days ago. It looks pretty cool... but she better enjoy it while she can before Red Dead comes out :))
    I think I will probably choose Tomb Raider: Anniversary for my first Tomb Raider game, seeing as it came with recommendations here and it's a remake of the original game.
    I think I will probably choose Tomb Raider: Anniversary for my first Tomb Raider game, seeing as it came with recommendations here and it's a remake of the original game.

Good choice it has good call backs that game, I am currently playing Aniversary and Legend on PC and Underworld on Xbox. I have Shadow of the Tomb Raider on Xbox now though decided to look at it when I can dedicate a full day to starting it.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns Thanks! I'll be using Steam for all the Tomb Raider games I end up getting. I figure Anniversary is a good place to start.

Playing through Limbo (2010) tonight. Amazing game.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So there's a second hitman game coming out in a couple of weeks?? Jeez...i still haven't completed the latest one. I'm in the middle of playing that, in the middle of playing unchartered lost legacy; and rise of the tomb raider.

Definitely need to pick up the new spidey, tomb raider and hit man games before Christmas. I just need time to finish these other games.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    doubleoego wrote: »
    So there's a second hitman game coming out in a couple of weeks?? Jeez...i still haven't completed the latest one. I'm in the middle of playing that, in the middle of playing unchartered lost legacy; and rise of the tomb raider.

Definitely need to pick up the new spidey, tomb raider and hit man games before Christmas. I just need time to finish these other games.

Yes, you lot know I'm dying to get it. About a month and a half to go now! I'm going to sink a stupid amount of time into it, that's for sure.
    I just can't quite bring myself to play that new Tomb Raider game. Not with that disappointing new version of Lara Croft. Where's the sense of humor, the joie de vivre? I don't care that this is "the beginning", those traits should have been apparent right from the start. If you have to take away the charm of the character just because it's a prequel, then don't make it a prequel. Prequels aren't automatically interesting. "Here, play as Lara before she became the one we know and love." So, play as Lara before she developed any of the traits I like about her? Now why would I want to do that?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I just can't quite bring myself to play that new Tomb Raider game. Not with that disappointing new version of Lara Croft. Where's the sense of humor, the joie de vivre? I don't care that this is "the beginning", those traits should have been apparent right from the start. If you have to take away the charm of the character just because it's a prequel, then don't make it a prequel. Prequels aren't automatically interesting. "Here, play as Lara before she became the one we know and love." So, play as Lara before she developed any of the traits I like about her? Now why would I want to do that?

Character development is a pretty good reason.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    She's a pretty multi dimensional character that grows as @Agent007391 pointed out. The prequel games are really good. @mattjoes you should definitely give them a chance, they're great gaming experiences.
    The game play is why I like the old and new Tomb Raider games, I found Rise... as immersive as any game I have played, some of the environments were stunning.
    Put Shadow of the Tomb Raider on, very intense opening thought my controller was going to take off, the graphics are stunning in 4K Lara looks amazing.
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider is seriously atmospheric, definitely best playing on hard setting you have to have your wits about you without hints. This game locks you into Lara's peril early on, excellent game so far.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Character development is a pretty good reason.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    She's a pretty multi dimensional character that grows as @Agent007391 pointed out. The prequel games are really good. @mattjoes you should definitely give them a chance, they're great gaming experiences.

I have no objection to giving Lara some character development, but I also expect to actually like the character of Lara, and I don't. I feel she does all her adventuring only for her father, or because she is forced by circumstances. It feels like a traumatic job for her, not a source of passion. It's a different take on the character; too different for my taste. Furthermore, assuming the intention in this new continuity was for her to begin as moody and intense and eventually lighten up and become more fun, I must say I don't like that either. I would've preferred they had the fun traits of Lara in place since the beginning, and developed her character over the games exclusively in regards to her inexperience and moral standing on things.

I've played TR 2013 and part of Rise. I don't see myself playing Shadow right now, but if I eventually do it it'll be mainly because it looks beautiful. In any case, thanks for the recommendation, @doubleoego.