Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    By the way, am I the only one who thinks the last level in Hitman's Patient Zero storyline is a bit too sadistic?

Not me! In fact, I want to see more of that sort of thing - the grim and macabre feel was present throughout the earlier titles and is sorely missing these days as the game has taken a more lighthearted turn since the 2016 installment.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,423
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    By the way, am I the only one who thinks the last level in Hitman's Patient Zero storyline is a bit too sadistic?
    Not me! In fact, I want to see more of that sort of thing - the grim and macabre feel was present throughout the earlier titles and is sorely missing these days as the game has taken a more lighthearted turn since the 2016 installment.
    I honestly can't see 47 mass murdering innocent people by default just to contain the virus. His job is only to take out Owen Cage and his German physician. If he's going around and gunning down eighty something individuals just to contain the virus whatsoever, then what does that make him if not a villain being a means to an end?
    I honestly can't see 47 mass murdering innocent people by default just to contain the virus. His job is only to take out Owen Cage and his German physician. If he's going around and gunning down eighty something individuals just to contain the virus whatsoever, then what does that make him if not a villain being a means to an end?

Because the "canon" version of the final mission is him eliminating Owen and Klaus and exiting; no civilians are killed. It's like how I can slaughter hundreds of NPC's in a given mission, but the canon end result is killing only the targets in a Silent Assassin manner.

Because the "canon" version of the final mission is him eliminating Owen and Klaus and exiting; no civilians are killed. It's like how I can slaughter hundreds of NPC's in a given mission, but the canon end result is killing only the targets in a Silent Assassin manner.
    That is the canon version, yes. But, the second part of what you said is entirely different than just killing an amount of NPCs. You can kill NPCs by your own choice in a normal Hitman level. But, in this Patient Zero pickle, you are forced to kill as much as there is of the infected, which isn't in line of what Hitman would be about. Takes quite a lot of practice not to let anyone get infected.

It's an interesting idea, to have people slowly get infected, but it should also give you the chance to spare their lives, not take them. That's sadistic, not dark. You can be given a specific time window to, let's say, activate some sort of a gas through specific parts which would allow the NPCs to breathe it and become immune to the virus. But, here, you're only given the choice of 47 being immune and the rest is dependent on how fast you can complete the level.
    Yes, because it's still a virus - the canon version is still ONLY those two targets, because you're never forced to kill innocent civilians unless they're infected, which totally would make sense and wouldn't be beyond 47's parameters, considering it's one life or the life of millions, possibly.

Whether you take out both via SA and escape in three minutes, or wait around for an hour, 47 still escapes having only killed the two targets silently, no matter what you as a player do. I get that the objective changes, and it's plausible, but the end result isn't any different than any other mission to me.

I could agree with having some mass option to stop the virus from infecting other NPC's, and perhaps there could've been an in-game option for that versus having to slaughter all the infected, but it is what it is.
    Ah well. Still, I did enjoy the Patient Zero campaign. It did seem like a very nice, short, non-personal Hitman thriller. Wouldn't mind a couple of DLCs like those every now and then, and the ending did leave an open room for a sequel.
    Ah well. Still, I did enjoy the Patient Zero campaign. It did seem like a very nice, short, non-personal Hitman thriller. Wouldn't mind a couple of DLCs like those every now and then, and the ending did leave an open room for a sequel.

Agreed, it wasn't all that bad. I could've done without the glued-as-a-sniper mission in Colorado, but the rest were enjoyable enough. I'm curious to see how the DLC pans out for Hitman 2 and if IO sticks to their word.

Agreed, it wasn't all that bad. I could've done without the glued-as-a-sniper mission in Colorado, but the rest were enjoyable enough. I'm curious to see how the DLC pans out for Hitman 2 and if IO sticks to their word.
    Oh it wasn't bad at all. I just felt a little uneasy at the last level, but it was still enjoyable. I didn't mind the sniper mission, either. Nice little demonstration of what Hitman: Sniper would be for those who haven't played it yet, with me being one of those. But, that was enough for me. Not a game mode I'd revisit.

And yes, if only the IO team stick to their word. It'd be also nice to get a full functional set of cutscenes rather than sketchy storyboards with fully designed graphics.
    I never touch Sniper Assassin. I tried to once a few weeks back, and the controls seemed wonky, like I wasn't firing the rifle when I pressed the fire button, so I gave up quick on it. The main game is where the fun is at for me.

I'm sure more storyboard sketches will be in our future - just another cheap shortcutting tactic thanks to their split with Square Enix. The game really should've been delayed for a year to acquire more funds and spend more time in production, fine tuning everything.
    Thanks for letting me know, really. I won't waste time on Sniper Assassin. To me, Hitman is where a fully operational Agent 47 in a sandbox map is. That's what I play the games for to begin with.

Such a shame. I was hoping for Warner Bros Interactive to support them and provide them with a bigger budget to fulfill their needs. Personally, I think it was great that they broke their ties with Square Enix, now they'll move more freely than they could have.

Another thing that pisses me off with the game is the need to be connected to the internet so you'll be able to enjoy your unlockables. What if my internet goes down? Should I not be able to select the content of my missions and be limited in my choices? Seriously, this online microtransaction balderdash should stop.
    Exactly, that's how I am - I don't care for the sniper stuff, just give me a big sandbox map with some targets to take out and I'm happy.

I think grouping up with Warner Bros. was a sound idea, but I think it's on IO for rushing through development to release this one instead of waiting another 6-12 months and giving it more time, money and effort like they should've.

And yes, essentially all fans hate the online only model. It means there will come a day when the games go offline and you can no longer unlock anything, which really chaps my ass and makes it not a proper offline, single player game like it should be. I'm glad they haven't included microtransactions, but this isn't the way to go, either.
    I believe I've set a new record by taking out the targets only with a cleaver, not giving a damn whether I was compromised or not. No infections. :))
    I believe I've set a new record but taking out the targets only with a cleaver, not giving a damn whether I was compromised or not. No infections. :))

Can't get anyone infected with the virus if they've all been hacked to death with a cleaver first! You're a genius.
    I believe I've set a new record but taking out the targets only with a cleaver, not giving a damn whether I was compromised or not. No infections. :))
    Can't get anyone infected with the virus if they've all been hacked to death with a cleaver first! You're a genius.
    It only took five minutes. Nothing more. =))

If you want some fun, get yourself infected then run around and see how many people you can infect before having to inject yourself with the antidote. Hell, I think there's even a challenge for infecting (and then killing) 47 or more NPC's, something like that.
    If you want some fun, get yourself infected then run around and see how many people you can infect before having to inject yourself with the antidote. Hell, I think there's even a challenge for infecting (and then killing) 47 or more NPC's, something like that.
    Oddly enough, that was my first time around when I completed the level, killing eighty something NPCs. It was like Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. :))
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    RE the online connection: Just be glad it isn't Friday The 13th. When the Hitman servers are eventually shut down, Hitman can still be played, we'd be limited in out options of gear, but still. When the F13 serves are shut down*, the game will be practically useless. Players will be left with a few challenges, and a offline bot mode that will get very dull very fast.

* It may already have happened, I don't know. Gun/Illfonic bungled the updates so badly, I walked away from it. Every update they put out, fixed one thing, but broke at least one other thing.
    After sinking hours into Hitman 2, the legacy pack and the Patient Zero DLC as well as the Elusive Targets, or in a way getting used to what IO Interactive started in 2016, I tried going back to Hitman: Absolution to compare them back to back. Good Lord, the latter (or the one released prior to the latest - that being Hitman and Hitman 2) is absolutely unplayable despite sharing similar gameplay minus the sandbox maps.

I've always said this: Absolution has a beautiful story and wonderful cinematics designed to attract the motion picture aspect of things. But, a video game as a whole, it fails miserably along with its overtly alert and cautious enemy AI. It's more Kane & Lynch than Hitman, but I guess it is what it is.

P.S. I'm glad Hitman (2016) omitted the Harry Potter type instinct mode and replaced it with a more plausible one, as well as the Mark and Shoot system stolen from Red Dead Redemption.
    Absolution was indeed a failure and not something the true, long time fans were after. Unfortunately, IO is now releasing a Hitman Enhanced HD Pack this upcoming Friday, which will include new 4K releases (apparently - I'm not expecting much) of Absolution and Blood Money. It'll be a full priced game, and I loathe the former installment so I'm not bothering shelling out that much. Now, if it were Silent Assassin and Contracts included in the pack, that'd be a different story entirely.
    I know the gameplay is slightly different and all, but why isn't Codename 47 experiencing a re-release? For newcomers who'd get the Hitman HD Trilogy Collection or this new 4K Collection, they won't understand the core of the story.

One would argue Contracts includes remade levels from the first game, but it still acts like a sequel to the second game albeit with flashbacks than as a substitute for the first. They should reconfigure the gameplay of the first a little bit to become playable in the vein of the second and onward, and release it on console gaming platforms as well.
    You answered your own query - most fans think it's because Contracts already works as a remake of Codename 47, and thus, the latter doesn't warrant its own remaster. Still, it's the only title in the series I've yet to play and would love to have the chance someday. It's just a damn shame they're neglecting some of the best titles in the series and re-releasing the likes of Absolution, which so few people enjoyed. I know they're just trying to make a quick buck, but damn.
    I did play the first, but it's been over a decade. In fact, I got the game when I was fourth grade, but didn't play it till I was eighth. Time sure flies!

The controls were rather weird, but it still shared many similarities with its three successors. It's nowhere near the vast different product that some of the fans claimed it to be. Took me a while to finish the game, though.
    I'd love to play it eventually, just for the sake of saying I've played the entire series. Give me a version of that to play on consoles, alongside a new remaster (or even a port) of Silent Assassin and Contracts and I'll be a very, very happy man.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'd love to play it eventually, just for the sake of saying I've played the entire series. Give me a version of that to play on consoles, alongside a new remaster (or even a port) of Silent Assassin and Contracts and I'll be a very, very happy man.

Doubt the original will ever leave PC.

Doubt the original will ever leave PC.

Same, there's nowhere near enough interest to warrant even a port of it, but a man can dream.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I did play the original a few years back, as one of the handful of PC games i've bought. Don't remember much about it, to be honest. I wouldn't mind seeing PS4 remasters of the first 4 games, especially Blood Money.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 7,930
    What's next for Donkey Kong?

Tropical Freeze was 2014, and the game was ported to switch. DK has popped up for appearances in many games, but no game of his own.

At the very least they could complete the trilogy of new 2D games, those don't take too long.

My dream has always been for a successor to Donkey Kong 64, my all time favourite game. It's 20 anniversary this year, perhaps there is hope. :D

But mostly I just want SOMETHING. Seems unfair that Mario and Zelda get brand new main line game, but DK Doesn't. :(
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He did get an entire DLC Campaign devoted to him in Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle. It's a shame he wasn't featured in Super Mario Odyssey except for a cameo of his 1981 arcade sprite. Considering Nintendo brought back Pauline and New Donk City being homage to nearly everything DK it's a shame he didn't have any sort of big appearance in it.

Personally I would love a DK game in the style of DK64. Nintendo seems to be big on open world games so an open world DK game would be awesome.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Murdock wrote: »

Personally I would love a DK game in the style of DK64. Nintendo seems to be big on open world games so an open world DK game would be awesome.

This is my dream also. I think collectathons are somewhat back in style. I think DK appearing in so many other series (K Rool in Smash, Rabbids, Mario Odessey) could possibly foreshadow something big. I first had this impression when they ported Tropical Freeze to Switch, that maybe they could be testing the waters.

Hopefully 2019 delivers ssome news on the state of DK. Its already nearly 5 years since Tropical Freeze and we still don't even have a teaser. Heres hoping the 20th anniversary for DK 64 is a good omen.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,060
    Bought these two games in the Xbox January sale really cheap...

SSX 3 Enhanced I used to be a master at SSX though I seem to have forgotten how to play the game, I hope SSX Tricky gets a similar release that was my favouraite, I used to get insane scores on that game.

I also bought Super STREETFIGHTER 4 Arcade Edition which is great fun.