Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Dan Stevens is by far the best guy for the job and get Gareth Evans to direct and you've got one hell of a Bond film on your hands.
    Not my top choice, he’s an excellent actor but a bit too similar to Craig. Now that could benefit him, depending on the direction they wish to go. He should absolutely have a formal screentest.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I definitely don't want a Craig 2.0 in any sort.

Same, coming from a big Craig fan.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    FoxRox wrote: »

Same, coming from a big Craig fan.
    I agree, and just based on their past methods, it won't be. I sense there is a section of the market hoping for different path, and I believe that's what we'll get. My guess is sooner rather than later too, although I realize that's controversial.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 15,851
    Daniel Radcliffe. LOL. I remember Pierce in an interview sarcastically suggesting Radcliffe for the part when he mentioned his era was over and Eon were going younger for the next film.

This is what bothers me about the way things have changed since 2004. A list like this back then would most certainly be looked at as a joke. Yet here on imdb it appears these are serious suggestions.

Words fail me. To me, this is like suggesting country music legend Willie Nelson replace Cavill as Superman. Let's leave Bond alone for awhile and let something like that happen instead. The day someone like Willie Nelson plays Superman in an official Warner Bros DC epic, yes actually playing Clark Kent as well, traditionally, mind you, and it actually works, I'll consider taking a Bond list like this seriously.

Actually, I don't see the point of a list for Bond potentials 10-15 years down the line.
    Actors age and grow into adulthood differently. Looking at the young Dalton in Wuthering Heights, for instance I honestly wouldn't see Bond potential there. It wasn't until he was in his 30's he grew into his looks, IMO, and became the bad a$$ we know and love.
    On the other hand, Daniel Craig in that Zorro episode, I could definitely see as Bond material.

The question should be if Stevens is an actor more suitable for lighthearted material or more "serious" stuff. If he has the capability to looks a bit like Craig, act well, but manage the lighthearted moments better than our current Bond – then he is a very good candidate. He's taller too, which is a plus.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Daniel Craig was in Zorro?
    Daniel Craig was in Zorro?

In one episode.
    Found it.

Found it.

Yes!!!!! Craig kind of has Connery in DR NO hair there. Standing next to 6"4 ' Duncan Regehr is looks quite small, though.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England

The question should be if Stevens is an actor more suitable for lighthearted material or more "serious" stuff. If he has the capability to looks a bit like Craig, act well, but manage the lighthearted moments better than our current Bond – then he is a very good candidate. He's taller too, which is a plus.

I think this is a good point and I think Dan Stevens is an actor that could go either way with the character.

Dead pan humour I don't think would be a problem for him. Moore was the king of doing the ligher humour in the series and I don't see anyone else being able to top that. Pierce had a go at times and it was toe curlingly embarrassing.

I don't want to see Bond become too OTT again, no problem with a shift back to something not so serious but I think the dramatic flavour that DC's film has bought to the series isn't going to be something that is jettisoned.

I certainly don't want to see A-B travelogues with ticking the box antics, the Brosnan era was at times using all the subtlty of a sledgehammer to remind you that you were watching a Bond film.

Maybe some of you want constant reminders on the screen but the actor cast should be one the biggest factors that convinces you not the trappings around him.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,340
    I can only speak for myself, of course - but the dramatic flavour of the DC era is a bit tiresome. IMO, they need to find a balance with the next guy (and future films) which isn't so damn dreary.
    I can only speak for myself, of course - but the dramatic flavour of the DC era is a bit tiresome. IMO, they need to find a balance with the next guy (and future films) which isn't so damn dreary.
    +1
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Well with the exception of GE the rest of the Brosnan era was tiresome for me.

Some of us are going to get what we want the next time round some of us aren't but I think the dramatic element isn't going to suddenly disappear.

I do detect something not so heavy the next time round but I don't see a huge jump into another tone like DAD to CR but I could be wrong.

I know some of you would love something akin to the Brosnan era but I for one would not want that again thank you.
    [quote="Shardlake;927012"

I know some of you would love something akin to the Brosnan era but I for one would not want that again thank you.[/quote]

Like they said after ww2-never again!
    I'd welcome another Brosnan era with open arms. The constant melodrama and its duration lasting for a decade and a half is enough for me to crave for something light adventure escapism rather than delve deeper into the repetitive recycling of the same psychosis of a covert operative who tries not to be. Give me an action-adventure film starring James Bond, not memoirs of a troubled government weapon.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Well with the exception of GE the rest of the Brosnan era was tiresome for me.

Some of us are going to get what we want the next time round some of us aren't but I think the dramatic element isn't going to suddenly disappear.

I do detect something not so heavy the next time round but I don't see a huge jump into another tone like DAD to CR but I could be wrong.

I know some of you would love something akin to the Brosnan era but I for one would not want that again thank you.

I agree @Shardlake ... the edge and drama of the more recent films will not be going anywhere. I also don't think the filmmakers will make a beat for beat DC era Bond film with a new actor either... or a Brosnan era film, nor Moore, Laz or Connery.

It will be a new guy.

They will all have their vision that fits into certain archetypal images expected in a Bond film.

They will go out to make the best possible film for large, return-viewing audiences.

And since this isn't their first rodeo, they will know that a certain membership of the audience will be upset with the new actor and the new vision.

There was not a huge change of tone between Connery's last and Moore's first. Lazenby's one was not very different in tone than the early Connery. Dalton was very different than Moore and it was too drastic a change for many. Early Brosnan retained at least some elements of both the Dalton and the Moore eras. So I really don't think the change will be drastic this time either.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Can some of the anti-Turner crowd explain to me what is it that they don't like about him? Just curious, cause I've seen Poldark and the Agatha Christie mini series, and I still think he's the best candidate, and nothing like Brosnan. The guy has a brutal stare, deep voice, good presence, good physique - not a wimp but not a bodybuilder, everyone seems to like him on the productions, being them actresses, fellow actors, or directors, he hasn't done anything too relevant yet, not a big blockbuster anyway. I think he could grow on the part very well. See him here next to Toby Stephens, who I always thought would be a good candidate - if he had step in from the audiobooks into the films, I'd have been a happy fan. He was wasted as Graves in DUD. Well, I still say Turner is the best option for a 2023 Bond. He'll be close to 40 by then.
    AIDEN10_940x526.jpg

I admire your courage, Miss...?
    da9255a55591eae890bac44793c4ccf6.gif
    Just look at that pose and stare. No. Another Brosnan isn t a positive.
    What makes you guys think he's like Brosnan? Seeing him act reminds me more of Dalton than him.
    Turner is in my top 2 right now . My 21 year old Daughter, who is a Bond fan, how’d that happen, has him at number one
    Dalton never looked as if he was posing for a fashion magazine or teengirl fan mag.

No Brosnan there. Is it because he's Irish?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He’s pouty. Reminds me of Affleck— not a lot going on beyond the forced pose and glare.
    peter wrote: »
    He’s pouty. Reminds me of Affleck— not a lot going on beyond the forced pose and glare.

Damn, can't really say I see that. And I hate Affleck, I really do.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Turner looks like he's trying way too hard to come across as cool and suave; doesn't seem natural at all.
    Univex wrote: »

+1, as an actor, I am not an Affleck fan either, although I’ve liked what he’s done as a director.

talos7 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

+1, as an actor, I am not an Affleck fan either, although I’ve liked what he’s done as a director.
    Exactly. Decent director. Decent writer too. Awful, awful actor. Not the worst Batman, but I'm a Keaton fan, and a Bale fan as well, actually. Still, he did a decent job. But maybe I'm just not that invested on superhero films, so I don't really care, not deeply anyway. Still, awful, awful actor.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Turner looks like he's trying way too hard to come across as cool and suave; doesn't seem natural at all.

Probably because it isn t. Spend less time looking in a mirror, and just be yourself, Aidan.