Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I'm surprised to hear anyone talk down Fassbender.

He has the look, style, and he is a great actor.

He would be my number one choice, if age wasn't a factor.

Unfortunately, however, age is a factor and he will simply be too old when Bond 26 rolls around. I can't get behind Hiddle's as he too weak looking. Hardy is too street. Madden has the look, and is a solid actor, but he is too small. Of all the realistic contenders in the media, my number one pick is still Henry Cavill. I know he needs to be enthused by the material to dish out a performance, but I don't think that would be a problem with Bond. I wouldn't have anything against Turner or Stevens, either.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm a big Fassbender fan too. I think he's the best fit for the role, and should ideally have been cast for the part after SF. He's probably a bit too old to take it on now though, and will likely go down as one of the biggest missed opportunities (along with Chris Bale) in the history of the franchise.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm a big Fassbender fan too. I think he's the best fit for the role, and should ideally have been cast for the part after SF. He's probably a bit too old to take it on now though, and will likely go down as one of the biggest missed opportunities (along with Chris Bale) in the history of the franchise.

Agreed. Either of those would have been, quite frankly, excellent.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Agreed. Either of those would have been, quite frankly, excellent.
    Precisely.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Indeed...Fassbender and Bale would both have been good Bonds.

They are 41 & 44 years old,so they could still play Bond for about 3 films IF Craig somehow dropped out of B25 and EON went back to the 'film every 2 years' routine.

Bale's casting in the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman would've immediately ruled him out, anyway. Especially when that character is too much like Bond in more ways than one. Fassbender, on the other hand, still had the chance after Skyfall, and like @bondjames said, he should've been cast in the part. After SF, the franchise needed yet another fresh start.
    Craig was riding high on the immense success of SF though,he was a bankable Bond,they would never have replaced him after that.

Now,however,who knows,but box office wise SP still did well.

Craig as Bond is a money-making machine.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Bale's casting in the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman would've immediately ruled him out, anyway. Especially when that character is too much like Bond in more ways than one.
    Yes, definitely. I'll never forget the bitter sweet feeling I had when I learned he had been cast as Wayne/Batman. I knew then that we'd never see him as Bond and that hurt.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Craig was riding high on the immense success of SF though,he was a bankable Bond,they would never have replaced him after that.
    This is true. They have been the victims of their own financial success. This is why I hope they don't chase box office going forward, but scale back to a more manageable level, like they did post-MR. Bond shouldn't be about chasing box office imho, because there is a risk that it will then result in watered down, or predictable product to please the masses.

Having said that, I suspect EON (and Broccoli, as a savvy financial operator) will be keeping an eye on satiating the new and growing cinematic markets when she casts the next Bond.

There have been quite a few signals in the last couple of years regarding the direction they are headed. Some of it isn't quite clear yet due to some deliberate 'noise', but I think we're in for some interesting times soon.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,423
    I think it is utterly obvious however that whoever came on the public radar, minor or major, won't be the next Bond actor. Knowing how filmmakers work these days, they'll be going for someone who is explicitly unexpected. So, those fantasizing about Cavill, Turner or more recently this Dan Stevens fellow being Bond, should silence his or her hopes.
    I think it is utterly obvious however that whoever came on the public radar, minor or major, won't be the next Bond actor. Knowing how filmmakers work these days, they'll be going for someone who is explicitly unexpected. So, those fantasizing about Cavill, Turner or more recently this Dan Stevens fellow being Bond, should silence his or her hopes.

You are breaking @Mendes4Lyfe heart here.
    Let's hope he's not mad about his tailor, are you? :))
    Let's hope he's not mad about his tailor, are you? :))

Hahaha oooh you animal you ;)
    So, those fantasizing about Cavill, Turner or more recently this Dan Stevens fellow being Bond, should silence his or her hopes.
    Then that's close this thread down and not bother with any further suggestions. Same goes for future directors, title performing artists, stories, composers, and main villain suggestion threads. Instead, let's just discuss what we do know.
    bondsum wrote: »
    So, those fantasizing about Cavill, Turner or more recently this Dan Stevens fellow being Bond, should silence his or her hopes.
    Then that's close this thread down and not bother with any further suggestions. Same goes for future directors, title performing artists, stories, composers, and main villain suggestion threads. Instead, let's just discuss what we do know.
    That's what you understood from the post?
    Other than it will be someone who will be "explicitly unexpected", I think I've got the general gist of your post: We're all wasting our time here making suggestions, as it won't be any of them.
    Guy's just because Daniel Craig was a surprise and an unknown to the Bond crowd, doesn't mean it will continue to be like that, casting wise. In fact, most of the times a Bond actor was chosen, it wasn't really that big of a surprise, not one that couldn't have been scrutinised in advance by fans like us.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Were you, in any sort of way, expecting Cary Fukunaga to end up in the director's chair?

I don't recall anybody suggesting him here as Mendes' successor/Boyle's replacement.

Unless any of us here thinks a name we constantly end up suggesting will be placed in the respective role he or she is rooted for, then yes. We are wasting our time here. But, if we are merely suggesting names that are suitable for the certain position/role, then no time is wasted as it's a field of entertainment.
    Univex wrote: »
    Guy's just because Daniel Craig was a surprise and an unknown to the Bond crowd, doesn't mean it will continue to be like that, casting wise. In fact, most of the times a Bond actor was chosen, it wasn't really that big of a surprise, not one that couldn't have been scrutinised in advance by fans like us.
    I'm not contradicting that thought, but the Bond production business is no different than the rest of the intellectual properties in the same field. Was anybody expecting Robert Downey Jr to land into the role of Sherlock Holmes? Ben Affleck into the role of Batman? These are just two mere examples. Filmmakers don't lift suggestions from fans as much as we love to fantasize about the thought. They'll go for the person least expected, if at all.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Were you, in any sort of way, expecting Cary Fukunaga to end up in the director's chair?

Well, he was spoken about. Some members did conjure up he'd be an apt choice.

About someone really thinking a name will be placed in the role, that's just being delusional or hopeful, witch isn't a bad thing sometimes, not if the delusion doesn't become an imposition of his or hers reality upon others. We've seen it happen, I know. But I think this particular thread is going on well and civil. Isn't it? ...for the most part of it ;)
    You chaps raise interesting points on both sides of the argument.

Perhaps someone we expect is in fact the unexpected this time around? ;)

After all, we are at a very different place now in comparison to where we were in 2005 or 2002. Moreover, with the internet, it's difficult to keep things under wraps as readily as in the past.
    About someone really thinking a name will be placed in the role, that's just being delusional or hopeful, witch isn't a bad thing sometimes, not if the delusion doesn't become an imposition of his or hers reality upon others. We've seen it happen, I know. But I think this particular thread is going on well and civil. Isn't it? ...for the most part of it ;)
    No arguments from me there.

Realistically speaking, however, the obvious choices as history reminds us are very unlikely to be placed in those positions. People always enlisted their fan casts as the ones producers should go to, like we do, in any fan base. But, we always end up learning in this day and age almost a full percentage of those desires don't come true.

True. I'd say there was a huge percentage of audience members and fans who rightfully predicted Pierce would land Bond after Tim bailed out in '94. In fact, it only took about 2 months before we had the announcement.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

True. I'd say there was a huge percentage of audience members and fans who rightfully predicted Pierce would land Bond after Tim bailed out in '94. In fact, it only took about 2 months before we had the announcement.
    Brosnan was the man in waiting for a long time. I remember a lot of excitement when he was finally announced as the man for the job.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Brosnan was the man in waiting for a long time. I remember a lot of excitement when he was finally announced as the man for the job.

And some disbelief.

And some disbelief.

I think you mean despair!!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mathis1 wrote: »

And some disbelief.

And desolation.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Mathis1 wrote: »

And some disbelief.

And desolation.

You probably looked like this when you heard the news =))

maxresdefault.jpg
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 15,818
    In 1994 there were polls on Entertainment tonight and I believe Access Hollywood on who should play Bond. The choices were: Pierce, Mel Gibson, Liam Neeson and Hugh Grant. Pierce won by a landslide.

I remember at the time feeling Hugh Grant might bring a Roger flair for humor, but had a difficult time picturing him in action. Maybe it was his FOUR WEDDINGS haircut? I felt Mel way way too famous for other movies. The LETHAL WEAPON franchise might over shadow his Bond. Liam seemed like a strong possibility and Pierce, IMO was the probably one would would actually get the part.

If there were a similar poll today we'd probably have: Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, James Norton and Tom Hiddleston.

Compared to any of those guys I think the 1994 contenders each look like Fleming's creation brought to life.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 684
    Dan Stevens is an interesting, and welcome, addition to the lackluster gallery of prospects. I'm familiar with him from Downton Abbey. Not much of a Bond audition, that show. However, I did instantly lose interest when he and his character departed, which might say something about his screen presence and other intangibles. It's strange: based on his performance there, I'd have placed him in the Moore vein, but having just checked him out in THE GUEST I see there's more there than Moore there. He should definitely be among those called for a screen test. He fits a certain template for a Bond actor: familiar though not yet a star, his cinematic image still fresh, untapped. The list of suitable actors in that mold at the moment are few. He's not an automatic pick by any means but it's nice to see in the mix another name that shows promise.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

And some disbelief.

No disbelief from what I can recall. He was a very popular choice back then, and the only real choice as well. Suitable candidates were thin on the ground.

Brosnan would never be everyone's cup of tea but that was true of all the previous Bonds. Let's face it, Fleming wasn't exactly enamoured with Connery for a start.

There was a lot of interest surrounding Lazenby, Brosnan and Moore, but it was more noticeable that interest was waning when Dalton was announced. Bond was already on a bit of a slippery slope in the 80s with Indiana Jones and other competitors coming through.

The enforced 6 year break was a blessing in disguise.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    NicNac wrote: »

And some disbelief.

No disbelief from what I can recall. He was a very popular choice back then, and the only real choice as well. Suitable candidates were thin on the ground.

Brosnan would never be everyone's cup of tea but that was true of all the previous Bonds.
    Good point...and it most likely will be true of the next one too. Perhaps even more so, given the vocal nature of the community these days and the power of the web. I'm sure that will impact how EON approach it.
    NicNac wrote: »
    Let's face it, Fleming wasn't exactly enamoured with Connery for a start.

There was a lot of interest surrounding Lazenby, Brosnan and Moore, but it was more noticeable that interest was waning when Dalton was announced. Bond was already on a bit of a slippery slope in the 80s with Indiana Jones and other competitors coming through.

The enforced 6 year break was a blessing in disguise.
    And with any luck, the long 5 year break following a tired entry will be this time too.