Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Ive recently had the same experience @ToTheRight . Some friends of mine have asked if the latest “casting” is true. And I explain that there’s been no casting, DC is back for one more go around.
    Much to the chagrin of some on this site, most say an emphatic “good” and express how much they have enjoyed the Craig films.
    On that note, it’s also funny how these casual fans also mix up all these films, as I note they do for most Bond films (“is that the one with laser?...”).They blend some scenes in with the wrong film. So anyone thinking that B25 should be a continuation of SP need not worry: most of these people will not remember Madeleine or Brofeld. They’ll just have a vague recollection that they liked or didn’t like the last one.
    That’s what I’ve found, in my circle of non-industry/casual fans, to be the case.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondsum wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    Not to be a “heightist”, I’m not tall , but I believe Daniel is just at the minimum desired height for Bond.
    Yeah, just about, I suppose. It's kind of a bit more obvious when you look at his torso length in ratio to the rest of him; it's more truncated than elongated, which a taller person would possess.
    Well put. It's all a matter of proportions. Width to height ratio comes into play as well, which impacts how one looks in lighter colours.
    peter wrote: »
    Ive recently had the same experience @ToTheRight . Some friends of mine have asked if the latest “casting” is true. And I explain that there’s been no casting, DC is back for one more go around.
    Much to the chagrin of some on this site, most say an emphatic “good” and express how much they have enjoyed the Craig films.
    On that note, it’s also funny how these casual fans also mix up all these films, as I note they do for most Bond films (“is that the one with laser?...”).They blend some scenes in with the wrong film. So anyone thinking that B25 should be a continuation of SP need not worry: most of these people will not remember Madeleine or Brofeld. They’ll just have a vague recollection that they liked or didn’t like the last one.
    That’s what I’ve found, in my circle of non-industry/casual fans, to be the case.

Very true. People remember whether they liked Craig or the film. Everyone I've confirmed to that Craig is back has had the same response. They're glad he's not out yet.

Most casual movie goers won't remember the Blofeld plot twist or Madeleine, really.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Well, I'm 5'6 so, as far as i'm concerned, everyone's tall ;) Except for Dustin Hoffman, who is a kindred spirit.
    And yet, Dustin Hoffman could kill a man with a mere look. What a fantastic double-oh Agent he would provide!
    And so would I ;) That or a good runner, as in someone who runs, not the other thing. Must go watch Marathon Man now.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Well, I'm 5'6 so, as far as i'm concerned, everyone's tall ;) Except for Dustin Hoffman, who is a kindred spirit.
    And yet, Dustin Hoffman could kill a man with a mere look. What a fantastic double-oh Agent he would provide!
    And so would I ;) That or a good runner, as in someone who runs, not the other thing. Must go watch Marathon Man now.

Fantastic movie. Need to give it a watch again sometime soon.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Based on the clues that have been dropped over the last couple of years, I'm 99% sure Madden won't be Bond, despite what the press currently says.
    @boldfinger, that's just it. Most of what's in the media isn't reliable. You have to sift through the nonsense. Madden is part of that. There's always a chance he gets it, but I'm nearly completely sure he isn't going to be the next Bond.

@bondjames, I agree that (unfortunately), Madden will not be Bond (although he's got the talent and charisma to do so), but; I am curious to hear what "clues" have been dropped "over the last couple of years"? Where have these "clues" been revealed, if not the press?, and; besides EoN, who could have been dropping these hints?

Because, in the second quote, you say the press isn't reliable (I agree, again), but where are you getting these hints "over the last couple of years", if not the press?

I'm curious, as I think others are, where you're receiving these "clues", so we, as fans, can also have a look.

Personally, I don't think EoN are worrying about the next actor after Craig until they're done with B25. But if there are "clues" "over the last couple of years", I'd like to see what they may be.

• peterpeter Toronto
    Based on the clues that have been dropped over the last couple of years, I'm 99% sure Madden won't be Bond, despite what the press currently says.
    @boldfinger, that's just it. Most of what's in the media isn't reliable. You have to sift through the nonsense. Madden is part of that. There's always a chance he gets it, but I'm nearly completely sure he isn't going to be the next Bond.

@bondjames, I agree that (unfortunately), Madden will not be Bond (although he's got the talent and charisma to do so), but; I am curious to hear what "clues" have been dropped "over the last couple of years"? Where have these "clues" been revealed, if not the press?, and; besides EoN, who could have been dropping these hints?

Because, in the second quote, you say the press isn't reliable (I agree, again), but where are you getting these hints "over the last couple of years", if not the press?

I'm curious, as I think others are, where you're receiving these "clues", so we, as fans, can also have a look.

Personally, I don't think EoN are worrying about the next actor after Craig until they're done with B25. But if there are "clues" "over the last couple of years", I'd like to see what they may be.

EDIT:

@bondjames , you also stated

"There have been quite a few signals in the last couple of years regarding the direction they are headed.

Once again, as a fan, I'm interested in these "clues" and "signals".
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    EON may not be actively vetting future candidates, but you can believe there is a file of potential contenders.
    What if, with everything in place, something would prevent Craig from continuing as Bond, do you really think that hasn’t been considered and a list of potential replacements compiled?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    EON may not be actively vetting future candidates, but you can believe there is a file of potential contenders.
    What if, with everything in place, something would prevent Craig from continuing as Bond, do you really think that hasn’t been considered and a list of potential replacements compiled?

I wouldn’t disagree with this (I’d call it a loose “file”), but I’m more interested in “signals”, “hints” and “clues” in which direction they’re thinking of casting the next Bond actor.

There have been “quite a few signals in the last couple of years regarding the direction they are headed”... that’s what I’m interested in
    Hmmm, signals?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    That’s what I’m trying to figure out @talos7. What are these signals in the last couple of years.

Not my words.

Just quoted from Bondjames’s recent posts.

I’d like to know since I’d like to judge for myself, lol.
    Ah...
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883

EDIT:

@bondjames , you also stated

"There have been quite a few signals in the last couple of years regarding the direction they are headed.

Once again, as a fan, I'm interested in these "clues" and "signals".
    I'm not tapped into the industry and don't have any sources there. You're quite correct therefore that all I have to go on is what I've read in the media and as we know, trying to separate the signal from the noise there is far from easy with all the rubbish that's spouted regularly. So don't pay any attention to my ramblings at this juncture.

As I mentioned to another member a few weeks back, I haven't fully been able to triangulate disparate data points that I've been picking up along the way. It's currently still nothing more than a somewhat embarrassing jumble in my head, but words from EON and others about what they are looking for & the timing of events in the past couple of years are shaping my current thinking direction and instincts (which is really all I have at the moment). I'll be sure to post once I get more clarity (based on more data points & future evidence to back it up) on what is presently nothing more than clutter in my head. The comments from a few weeks back that Madden was about to be offered the role pretty much ruled him out.

I personally believe they will likely get someone who is theatrically trained, who can appeal to growing foreign markets and their sensibilities (given where the revenue increasingly comes from), who will appeal to the large movie going millennial generation, who can draw in more female viewers, who will be taller, suaver, and likely be distinctly British (necessary perhaps in a post-Brexit environment).
    Ma

I hope these contenders are better than the ones mentioned here.
    @Ludovico, just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of Craig as Bond, vis-a-vis Brosnan or Dalton? Also, did you like SP?
  • manovermanover uk
    Another good option come casting time would be Aaron Taylor Johnson.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Ludovico, just out of curiosity, what is your opinion of Craig as Bond, vis-a-vis Brosnan or Dalton? Also, did you like SP?

I think Craig is the best since Connery, or at least the closest to the kind of Bond I want to see. He's far more comfortable with the character than Brosnan was and more comfortable with the iconic baggage Bond brings than Dalton was. SP had its problems and it's very messy but the stepbrother angle notwithstanding I very much enjoyed it. More than SF (which I liked a lot and which is by far the best movie). But I've always been advocating for a return of Blofeld and to recurring adversaries, like we had in Connery's tenure.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I think Craig is the best since Connery, or at least the closest to the kind of Bond I want to see. He's far more comfortable with the character than Brosnan was and more comfortable with the iconic baggage Bond brings than Dalton was. SP had its problems and it's very messy but the stepbrother angle notwithstanding I very much enjoyed it. More than SF (which I liked a lot and which is by far the best movie). But I've always been advocating for a return of Blofeld and to recurring adversaries, like we had in Connery's tenure.
    Thanks for explaining. I asked because I've detected in your posts that you aren't keen on most of the candidates mentioned on this thread, and so wondered what framed that particular perspective and whether it extended to an actor switch in general (irrespective of who it is).
    What I'd really like is a soft continuation of the Craig era: recurring threats (not necessarily Blofeld and SPECTRE), light on gadgetry, some continuity, Blofeld back at some point but used sparingly and forget the stepbrother angle.

What actor can work with that I have no idea. That's why I suggest virtual unknowns.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I doubt we'll see Blofeld back for some time, but you may be pleasantly surprised by what follows Craig. I doubt we'll see a return to camp, and a soft continuation is more likely than not in my opinion (I certainly can't see a reboot). The interpretation and approach is likely to differ and play to the actor's strengths however, as it always does and should.
    I don't see Blofeld back any time soon either. I think he will show up at some point in the next Bond's tenure. Part of me thing they should have waited to use him then, as a "hook" for the next one. As for the interpretation of the next actor, let's not forget that he'll be cast according to how Barb and all see Bond. I think we might have a variation of Craig or someone channeling him so to speak.
    I think we might have a variation of Craig or someone channeling him so to speak.

This would benefit Dan Stevens.
    I think we might have a variation of Craig or someone channeling him so to speak.

This would benefit Dan Stevens.
    I've only seen Stevens in Downton Abbey so far, but he doesn't really give off a Craig vibe to me. He comes across more polished imho.

I sincerely hope the next actor only channels himself. The best interpretations are their own. When they try to emulate someone from the past they inevitably face inferior comparisons.
    Of all the Bond actors, how many were a sharp contrast to their predecessor? I can only think of Dalton and it didn't work out for him. All of them, including Moore, continued what the previous one had started in a way. So I would expect for Craig's successor to be like Craig a hood deal, at least at the beginning.
    Well, Craig was a sharp contrast to Brosnan @Ludovico. So sharp you could cut yourself. And one could argue Moore was a sharp contrast to Connery.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767
    I sincerely hope the next actor only channels himself. The best interpretations are their own. When they try to emulate someone from the past they inevitably face inferior comparisons.
    This. Totally.

Well, Craig was a sharp contrast to Brosnan @Ludovico. So sharp you could cut yourself. And one could argue Moore was a sharp contrast to Connery.

I never felt that Moore in LALD was a big contrast to Connery in DAF. But Craig sure was.

Moore was continuing a trend started in DAF. Craig explore things that were there during the Brosnan era, just not developed or developed badly. The personal element so many people complain about was there since at least LTK. Craig's movies had a very different tone than the last Brosnan movie, but however I loathe DAD the tenure was not the last movie, and Craig himself was far more comfortable with the character but that has more to do with his skills than the approach.
    The next actor will have to possess the same intense physicality that Craig has brought to the role .
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Just finished watching "Apostle", the new Dan Stevens movie.
    Another great showcase of his talent.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    So are you comparing their last performance as Bond or are you comparing their last screenplay, not necessarily their entire output as Bond @Ludovico?

Though I'd argue Connery doesn't play it any lighter in DAF than he did in any of his previous entries. If anything, he's even gruffer in DAF than before. Sure, there's a perceived notion that DAF is more of a send-up because of Tom Mankiewicz's witty one-liners and Blofeld dressed in drag, but I think those are incorrect impressions. One can argue that the tone of the movie is perhaps lighter and jokier in certain parts, but that can't be said of the actor himself or his delivery. I also see Moore's Bond in LALD as more of a smooth playboy than Connery's brusque Bond. For me, there's a marked contrast between the two portrayals which was obvious to me back in '71 and '73 that still resonates today. Personally, I think Moore gives a better performance as a terse agent in TMWTGG that feels more akin to Connery's Bond, before that approach was sadly abandoned for raised eyebrows and schoolboy smirks in TSWLM and MR.

I don't know. Maybe I was reading too much into your "contrast" remark. Besides, we still don't know what type of movie we'll be getting with B25 as Craig's last entry isn't even in the can yet.