Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Guy's just because Daniel Craig was a surprise and an unknown to the Bond crowd, doesn't mean it will continue to be like that, casting wise. In fact, most of the times a Bond actor was chosen, it wasn't really that big of a surprise, not one that couldn't have been scrutinised in advance by fans like us.

True. I'd say there was a huge percentage of audience members and fans who rightfully predicted Pierce would land Bond after Tim bailed out in '94. In fact, it only took about 2 months before we had the announcement.
    Brosnan was the man in waiting for a long time. I remember a lot of excitement when he was finally announced as the man for the job.

And some disbelief.

No disbelief from what I can recall. He was a very popular choice back then, and the only real choice as well. Suitable candidates were thin on the ground.

Brosnan would never be everyone's cup of tea but that was true of all the previous Bonds.
    Good point...and it most likely will be true of the next one too. Perhaps even more so, given the vocal nature of the community these days and the power of the web. I'm sure that will impact how EON approach it.
    Let's face it, Fleming wasn't exactly enamoured with Connery for a start.

There was a lot of interest surrounding Lazenby, Brosnan and Moore, but it was more noticeable that interest was waning when Dalton was announced. Bond was already on a bit of a slippery slope in the 80s with Indiana Jones and other competitors coming through.

The enforced 6 year break was a blessing in disguise.
    And with any luck, the long 5 year break following a tired entry will be this time too.

Yes, it may be. Despite a good showing at the box office Spectre was far too costly, and far too long. A bit of a re-think is never a bad idea.
    Guy's just because Daniel Craig was a surprise and an unknown to the Bond crowd, doesn't mean it will continue to be like that, casting wise. In fact, most of the times a Bond actor was chosen, it wasn't really that big of a surprise, not one that couldn't have been scrutinised in advance by fans like us.

True. I'd say there was a huge percentage of audience members and fans who rightfully predicted Pierce would land Bond after Tim bailed out in '94. In fact, it only took about 2 months before we had the announcement.
    Brosnan was the man in waiting for a long time. I remember a lot of excitement when he was finally announced as the man for the job.

And some disbelief.

No disbelief from what I can recall. He was a very popular choice back then, and the only real choice as well. Suitable candidates were thin on the ground.

Brosnan would never be everyone's cup of tea but that was true of all the previous Bonds. Let's face it, Fleming wasn't exactly enamoured with Connery for a start.

There was a lot of interest surrounding Lazenby, Brosnan and Moore, but it was more noticeable that interest was waning when Dalton was announced. Bond was already on a bit of a slippery slope in the 80s with Indiana Jones and other competitors coming through.

Dalton was perceived as second choice, which really hurt him.
    Ludovico wrote: »

And some disbelief.

Brosnan would never be everyone's cup of tea but that was true of all the previous Bonds. Let's face it, Fleming wasn't exactly enamoured with Connery for a start.

Does he know, nowadays, the love he gets from the fans? Just curious.

And some disbelief.

I meant it hurt his tenure. He was fighting to get out of the shadow of Moore and Brosnan...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

And some disbelief.

I meant it hurt his tenure. He was fighting to get out of the shadow of Moore and Brosnan...

His casting was a rushed affair. Films every two years, the last minute loss of Brosnan, I think Dalton was on a plane for the press launch the day after finishing another film. Barbara B had to buy him a suit and shirt while he was travelling which explains why his clothes look so ill fitting at the press launch.

Not a good start, considering the professional way they launch a new Bond film these days.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If I was to guess, I'd say Ms. Broccoli has taken a lot of lessons from that tumultuous period into account, and it will inform her decision about which direction to go next, and more importantly exactly how to go about it.
    I doubt it will get messy like this again, touch wood. There's a huge difference between 1987 and 1995: there's no heir apparent this time. And no actor who is plebiscited to succeed Craig.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Idris Elba. :))
    I doubt it will get messy like this again, touch wood. There's a huge difference between 1987 and 1995: there's no heir apparent this time. And no actor who is plebiscited to succeed Craig.

And how many thought Craig was gonna replace Brosnan ...
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

And some disbelief.

Brosnan would never be everyone's cup of tea but that was true of all the previous Bonds.
    Good point...and it most likely will be true of the next one too. Perhaps even more so, given the vocal nature of the community these days and the power of the web. I'm sure that will impact how EON approach it.

And with any luck, the long 5 year break following a tired entry will be this time too.

Yes, it may be. Despite a good showing at the box office Spectre was far too costly, and far too long. A bit of a re-think is never a bad idea.

The first Bondfilm I ever saw in the cinema and thought 'come on, let it end!', as if I was watching 'Australia' all over again.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,302

And some disbelief.

The first Bondfilm I ever saw in the cinema and thought 'come on, let it end!', as if I was watching 'Australia' all over again.

SP was the first time watching a film (not just Bond film) at the theatre where I wanted to leave before the movie ended.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2018 Posts: 8,548

As I told a couple of ppl on this site: today I met a very fine gentleman from Hampstead. He now works in Toronto and we were discussing a very different project when I mentioned Bond (it was arbitrary).

Six Degrees of 007 unraveled and this fine gent is a very close friend of a Wilson. When I say close, I mean.... sticky-glue close. And, here are some things I learnt:

Idris was never considered as Bond.
    Daniel Craig will be 007 until further notice (apart from what someone is trying to hint at-- he ain't going no where)
    And... Barbara Broccoli is not about to sell the Bond rights. Re: this: My new friend shook his head hard, said-- no f'n way, this is a family biz and will NOT be sold.
    Also, something I forgot to tell my Mi6 friends is this: The entire team felt that Danny Boyle was trying to, and I quote, "change the 'culture' of the character of James Bond".
    Take my nonsense for what it's worth-- but this guy is legit, and I stand behind these proclamations (as I did with @ColonelSun (everything he said was happening, did happen, and only weeks later was it reported on).

Finally: to top off everything: I forgot to ask if they're considering Canada as a location!! I will be asking the next time we meet (once I understood who I was talking to, I lost all my sense of purpose as a man, as a human, as a bond fan-- plus I was pitching my own project(!)).

EDIT: there was other news, a little more, I have told some of our members because 1) they appreciate the updates, and; 2) they wont get pissed when I don't have new info and accuse me of being someone I'm not, lol!
    peter wrote: »

As I told a couple of ppl on this site: today I met a very fine gentleman from Hampstead. He now works in Toronto and we were discussing a very different project when I mentioned Bond (it was arbitrary).

Six Degrees of 007 unraveled and this fine gent is a very close friend of a Wilson. When I say close, I mean.... sticky-glue close. And, here are some things I learnt:

Daniel Craig will be 007 until further notice (apart from what someone is trying to hint at-- he ain't going no where)
    And... Barbara Broccoli is not about to sell the Bond rights. Re: this: My new friend shook his head hard, said-- no f'n way, this is a family biz and will NOT be sold.
    Also, something I forgot to tell my Mi6 friends is this: The entire team felt that Danny Boyle was trying to, and I quote, "change the 'culture' of the character of James Bond".
    Take my nonsense for what it's worth-- but this guy is legit, and I stand behind these proclamations (as I did with @ColonelSun (everything he said was happening, did happen, and only weeks later was it reported on).

Finally: to top off everything: I forgot to ask if they're considering Canada as a location!! I will be asking the next time we meet (once I understood who I was talking to, I lost all my sense of purpose as a man, as a human, as a bond fan-- plus I was pitching my own project(!)).

EDIT: there was other news, a little more, I have told some of our members because 1) they appreciate the updates, and; 2) they wont get pissed when I don't have new info and accuse me of being someone I'm not, lol!

Interesting I figured as much and hey I would be fine with 2 more Craig films
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »

So would I-- a little unrealistic, I think, so enjoy B25-- I think (my thoughts), they're aiming to hit out of the ballpark because (the more I write about this, the more that comes up), they realized, despite some claims on this site, that SP was a misfire.

And, oh, those who doubt Barbara's savvy, think again. She was described as beautiful and wonderful and sharp as an ice-pick.

And although I forgot to ask about B25 and shooting in Canada, the mere thought of it not being discussed, is, I believe (IMHO), it ain't happening. I could be wrong, but I think, because we got heavily chatting about 007, he would say "yeah, we're coming to Canada"... Not exactly evidence this is not happening, but maybe a strong indication?
    Risico007 wrote: »

Ditto!
    And peter, what your friend says makes perfect sense!
    Thanks @peter. It's truly wonderful having you here, and I'm glad you decided not to leave our shores. Keep up the excellent posts and updates, friend.
    The entire team felt that Danny Boyle was trying to, and I quote, "change the 'culture' of the character of James Bond".

Thank heavens we dodged that bullitt.
    (...) they realized, despite some claims on this site, that SP was a misfire.
    That's superbly interesting.
    She was described as beautiful and wonderful and sharp as an ice-pick.
    Always thought so. Is she single, though? ;)

Peter, many thanks for your contributions, they are invaluable. Cheers, mate.
    I know he's been mentioned sporadically here in the past, but what do folks think of Max Irons? Right age, build, height and pedigree (Jeremy's son). I've only seen him in that Crooked House Christie adaptation last year.

At the very least, his new Condor series seems interesting (the Redford film from the 70's is one of my favourite thrillers) and will bring him some attention soon.

http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/condor-max-irons-exclusive-11364304064210
    Craig doing one more after this one is stretching it imo, even though I'm a big fan of Craig and what's his tenure. But that they want to keep him even as he's getting old for the role speaks volume about how he's appreciated (he must not be such a prima dona) and how poor the pool of potential successors is at the moment.
    I know he's been mentioned sporadically here in the past, but what do folks think of Max Irons? Right age, build, height and pedigree (Jeremy's son). I've only seen him in that Crooked House Christie adaptation last year.

At the very least, his new Condor series seems interesting (the Redford film from the 70's is one of my favourite thrillers) and will bring him some attention soon.

Loved Condor. Irons alas is not Bond material, imo. If only he had his fathers looks and voice... but he is a decent actor none the less.

Loved Condor. Irons alas is not Bond material, imo. If only he had his fathers looks and voice... but he is a decent actor none the less.
    Great to read you liked the show. I'll get my hands on a copy soon (I just ordered Bodyguard btw and can't wait to finally see it). I agree that he doesn't have his father's inimitable style. Senior was approached for Bond once apparently (during the Roger Moore years) but declined because he thought he would be typecast.

Great to read you liked the show. I'll get my hands on a copy soon (I just ordered Bodyguard btw and can't wait to finally see it). I agree that he doesn't have his father's inimitable style. Senior was approached for Bond once apparently (during the Roger Moore years) but declined because he thought he would be typecast.

I’m a big Jeremy Irons fan. I liked Condor a lot, and this is from a Three days of the condor fan. Redford is in another league, and so are Dunaway and Sidow. In the series, William Hurt is particularly good. Worth a watch, definitely.

Interesting, @peter! None of these things comes as a surprise; Idris would be an unlikely choice, and EON and Barbara selling the rights even more unlikely (a good thing, IMO).

Re. Boyle, what does "change the 'culture' of the character of James Bond" mean?

Also, how did the pitch go? :-)

I’m a big Jeremy Irons fan. I liked Condor a lot, and this is from a Three days of the condor fan. Redford is in another league, and so are Dunaway and Sidow. In the series, William Hurt is particularly good. Worth a watch, definitely.

Been looking for a streaming service to watch Condor (I'm a big fan of the film). Unfortunately the only streaming service that has the series available here in Norway is one I don't have a subscription to – and signing a new subscription for only one show feels a bit much. Hopefully Condor will be available elsewhere at some point!
  • peterpeter Toronto

Interesting, @peter! None of these things comes as a surprise; Idris would be an unlikely choice, and EON and Barbara selling the rights even more unlikely (a good thing, IMO).

Re. Boyle, what does "change the 'culture' of the character of James Bond" mean?

This conversation was happening quite rapidly, and came as such a pleasant surprise I didn’t ask a lot of questions (I think I was in a pinch me to wake me state of mind)..

The meeting was honestly derailed for a good while. I wasn’t expecting Bond talk! However he and I got along very well (because of Bond!); we’ve exchanged more emails today (not Bond talk), so I expect many opportunities to speak to him about the world of 007.

(Thanks for asking!)

This conversation was happening quite rapidly, and came as such a pleasant surprise I didn’t ask a lot of questions (I think I was in a pinch me to wake me state of mind)..

The meeting was honestly derailed for a good while. I wasn’t expecting Bond talk! However he and I got along very well (because of Bond!); we’ve exchanged more emails today (not Bond talk), so I expect many opportunities to speak to him about the world of 007.

(Thanks for asking!)

I see! Just wondered about the phrasing; "Change the culture" seems very, uhm… "substantial", if you know what I mean. Doesn't make me any less interested in what Boyle's idea/script was all about.

Good the meeting went well! Pitches – in any kind of work, can be quite the task. Hopefully the pitch will lead to something more :-)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Re: Boyle: I agree— substantial enough that led to the parting of ways.

@Torgeirtrap I think we dodged a bullet. With what the good @ColonelSun had relayed, and this little tidbit, it was clear the Boyle experience was quickly becoming a disaster— great idea be damned!

Barbara & co. made the best decision possible. And probably the hardest (putting the threat of a delay on the table— thankfully it ended up being only minimally put behind schedule).

And thank you, my fingers are crossed!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

@Torgeirtrap I think we dodged a bullet. With what the good @ColonelSun had relayed, and this little tidbit, it was clear the Boyle experience was quickly becoming a disaster— great idea be damned!

quote]

How then did it progress so far? Were they sold on Boyle based on his "great idea" and the allure of a prestige director, only to have the true scope of his "change the culture" vison reveal itself as the script developed?

Barbara & co. made the best decision possible. And probably the hardest (putting the threat of a delay on the table— thankfully it ended up being only minimally put behind schedule).

And thank you, my fingers are crossed!

The little we know sure makes it seem we dodged a bullet. Will be interesting to see if we'll ever hear anything more concrete regarding the Boyle film – especially since EON were willing to give him a shot at making it in the first place.

Keep us posted on the pitch process!
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767

Funny you should say that, @bondjames, I watched the first two episodes yesterday and today. So far I´m utterly thrilled. As for Madden, it´s Kind of strange, I find him to be great in the role he Plays, and he does quite a few Things that would fit in the Bond world, yet for some reason I don´t find him "Bondian". Could be the role though.
    Max Irons? I still have to see him in moving Pictures, but the Fotos don´t make me enthusiastic. He should probably more like Play a grown-up Boy Group member.

@peter, I am so happy we have you here with us, thanks for that fascinating insight! Keep it up ;-)! Re: Boyle: You didn´t by accident happen to Change a word or two About Fukunaga? He doesn´t seem to me much less complicated than Boyle in pursuing artistic visions. The only Thing I can imagine is that Eon spoke explicitly with him About Things like the culture of the character and asked him very explicitly About his thoughts…
    And dammit, yes, I too would really like to know more About Boyle and Hodge´s ideas, I really hope they publish something at some Point in time.
    boldfinger wrote: »

Funny you should say that, @bondjames, I watched the first two episodes yesterday and today. So far I´m utterly thrilled. As for Madden, it´s Kind of strange, I find him to be great in the role he Plays, and he does quite a few Things that would fit in the Bond world, yet for some reason I don´t find him "Bondian". Could be the role though.
    Max Irons? I still have to see him in moving Pictures, but the Fotos don´t make me enthusiastic. He should probably more like Play a grown-up Boy Group member.
    Looking forward to it @boldfinger. It seems to have received almost unanimous acclaim. I've seen Madden in other roles before and he's never struck me as Bondian either, so I'm curious to see how I'll feel once I finally see this show. I doubt he's being considered frankly, and yet his name continues to be included with the favourites for some reason:

https://www.popsugar.co.uk/entertainment/Who-Play-James-Bond-Next-45386355

As for Irons, yes perhaps he lacks some required style. With a few more years under his belt, who knows though.