Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Turner looks like he's trying way too hard to come across as cool and suave; doesn't seem natural at all.

Probably because it isn t. Spend less time looking in a mirror, and just be yourself, Aidan.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Turner looks like he's trying way too hard to come across as cool and suave; doesn't seem natural at all.

That's why I don't care for him.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Murdock wrote: »

A strong Director can reign that in if it’s a problem, kind of like George Clooney’s early quirk of actiing with his head down, while looking up.
    No actor is perfect; Turner’s pluses out weight his weaknesses

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    talos7 wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

A strong Director can reign that in if it’s a problem, kind of like George Clooney’s early quirk of actiing with his head down, while looking up.
    No actor is perfect; Turner’s pluses out weight his weaknesses

I'm sure while that's true, it's not really going to change my mind on Turner.
    Lol, I can appreciate that; I feel the same about
    Jamie(psycho eyes)!Dornan
    Lol, I can appreciate that; I feel the same about
    Jamie(psycho eyes)!Dornan
    I do too. Ah, ok, now I get it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Univex wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    He’s pouty. Reminds me of Affleck— not a lot going on beyond the forced pose and glare.

Damn, can't really say I see that. And I hate Affleck, I really do.
    +1, as an actor, I am not an Affleck fan either, although I’ve liked what he’s done as a director.
    Exactly. Decent director. Decent writer too. Awful, awful actor. Not the worst Batman, but I'm a Keaton fan, and a Bale fan as well, actually. Still, he did a decent job. But maybe I'm just not that invested on superhero films, so I don't really care, not deeply anyway. Still, awful, awful actor.
    It's an interesting point about Affleck. He's not a bad actor, but he had the misfortune of following Bale, who imho is one of the best of his generation. The results were particularly disappointing, although that's also on account of Snyder not being in Nolan's league as well.

I'm sure EON will ensure they don't make a similar error of judgement with the next Bond. The guy has to be up to snuff as an actor and must be able to bring a new, credible and compelling interpretation of the character to the screen. Not an easy task.
    I wouldn´t put it quite that harshly, but that´s the direction he seems to be taking. I got that Impression from the few Clips I found of him before, and this Lombard Clip above gives me the same vibe. Absolutely decent Actor for tv, but I have yet to see anything that convinces me in a cineastic sense.

He’s pouty. Reminds me of Affleck— not a lot going on beyond the forced pose and glare.

+1, as an actor, I am not an Affleck fan either, although I’ve liked what he’s done as a director.
    Exactly. Decent director. Decent writer too. Awful, awful actor. Not the worst Batman, but I'm a Keaton fan, and a Bale fan as well, actually. Still, he did a decent job. But maybe I'm just not that invested on superhero films, so I don't really care, not deeply anyway. Still, awful, awful actor.
    I don´t know how it Comes About, but Ben Affleck does act very good in several films, and quite bad IMO in others.

boldfinger wrote: »
    I wouldn´t put it quite that harshly, but that´s the direction he seems to be taking. I got that Impression from the few Clips I found of him before, and this Lombard Clip above gives me the same vibe. Absolutely decent Actor for tv, but I have yet to see anything that convinces me in a cineastic sense.

I don´t know how it Comes About, but Ben Affleck does act very good in several films, and quite bad IMO in others.

He does have a well publicized drinking problem; that might explain it.

• edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    What makes you guys think he's like Brosnan? Seeing him act reminds me more of Dalton than him.
    Absolutely. Turner is nothing at all like Brosnan. There's more of a Dalton air about him.

The problem I have with the majority of negative comments about Turner come from people who haven't watched him in a single thing, apart from The Hobbit. They base their views on a small clip taken out of context or a photograph. He's trying too hard isn't valid enough reason for not giving him a screen test. Who says he's trying too hard? One could say the same of a lot of actors, if one wanted to nitpick or be pedantic. Brosnan = tries too hard. Dalton = tries too hard.
    bondsum wrote: »
    What makes you guys think he's like Brosnan? Seeing him act reminds me more of Dalton than him.
    Absolutely. Turner is nothing at all like Brosnan. There's more of a Dalton air about him.

The problem I have with the majority of negative comments about Turner come from people who haven't watched him in a single thing, apart from The Hobbit. They base their views on a small clip taken out of context or a photograph. He's trying too hard isn't valid enough reason for not giving him a screen test. Who says he's trying too hard? One could say the same of a lot of actors, if one wanted to nitpick or be pedantic. Brosnan = tries too hard. Dalton = tries too hard.

Precisely. And I don't think he tries too hard. Not at all. Not in those final beach scenes in ATTWN, or in Poldark, anyway. What, Connery didn't have forced mannerisms? He did have an economy of movement working for him, but so did all the Bond actors so far. And what about Moore? He was all about repeated tricks, and we love him to death.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    But Connery and Moore had charisma and charm and personality. Turner seems to scowl through his roles-- and yes I've seen a few episodes of Poldark and ATTWN.

Saying that, in this hypothetical world, there's also no reason why he shouldn't be tested for the role either. He's got some attributes that could fit the role of Bond. He's not a bad actor by any stretch (although he seems more fitting for the small screen than the big screen), he's good looking, athletic...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    One thing he has in common with young Connery is the heavy use of lipstick.
    Don't mind Turner at all. Didn't get the impression he tries to hard in ATTWN, which is the only thing I've seen him in.

The charisma and charm and personality of Connery and Moore is something very few actors have at all these days. Those who do have a certain personality and on screen presence don't fit Bond, or are just to old to play him at this point.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Don't mind Turner at all. Didn't get the impression he tries to hard in ATTWN, which is the only thing I've seen him in.

The charisma and charm and personality of Connery and Moore is something very few actors have at all these days. Those who do have a certain personality and on screen presence don't fit Bond, or are just to old to play him at this point.

I think Dan Stevens has a unique presence to him. Far more so than Turner. I just saw him in The Apostle (beautifully shot, solid performances out of DS, Michael Sheen and Mark Lewis Jones; pacing was wonky in the first half, but things went bonkers in the second half). DS is tall and he's got an easy gravitas about him. If he gained 10 to 15 lbs of lean mass on his frame, he'd be pretty intimidating in the tux...
    @peter If you were choosing 3 for an official screentest, at this time who would they be?

Actually this can go out to all, who are your top 3.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Sadly @talos7 , I can't think of three.

Dan Stevens
    Aidan Turner

Too many young men in Hollywood lack masculinity... too soft... they're empty and lack a certain gravitas to play Bond (and that's why I think this DS is interesting, he's got gravitas); these actors just aren't interesting in real life, so I think they lack something in their "reel" life... they just can't bring the goods to play Bond-- but would be perfect for a FF film...
    Those are two of mine with the addition of Hemsworth.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Out of the H'wood hunks, Hemsworth would be top of my list, but I think at this point in his career, he's far too expensive. I don't think EoN want to start with a new 007 who would demand almost what DC is making for his last Bond film.

But Hemsworth has more going on in his "little finger" than Cavill, and he can crush Hiddleston with a glare. These last two don't even register for me-- especially the latter one who's more suited to play a version of the Joker, than he is to play Bond.
    It’s interesting when it comes to Hiddleston and Cavill, they share one quality, more often than not they both come off as “acting” ; at least Hiddleston does it well. ;)

I think Dan Stevens has a unique presence to him. Far more so than Turner. I just saw him in The Apostle (beautifully shot, solid performances out of DS, Michael Sheen and Mark Lewis Jones; pacing was wonky in the first half, but things went bonkers in the second half). DS is tall and he's got an easy gravitas about him. If he gained 10 to 15 lbs of lean mass on his frame, he'd be pretty intimidating in the tux...

I think Stevens could be an interesting pick. As mentioned earlier, I haven't seen him in much, but lookswise, I think he can be a good "middle ground" (in lack of a better way to put it) between Craig and the classic Bond look. His hear does seem slightly darker in some pictures, so I guess they could just dye his hear a bit too.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It’s interesting when it comes to Hiddleston and Cavill, they share one quality, more often than not they both come off as “acting” ; at least Hiddleston does it well. ;)

I agree, they both act with a capital 'A'... Cavill is clunky, Hiddles is effete....

I think Stevens could be an interesting pick. As mentioned earlier, I haven't seen him in much, but lookswise, I think he can be a good "middle ground" (in lack of a better way to put it) between Craig and the classic Bond look. His hear does seem slightly darker in some pictures, so I guess they could just dye his hear a bit too.

agreed...
    I'm confident he will be a fine actor, which perhaps eliminates some potential choices we have been discussing here, but even then they won't be able to please everyone. We can't even agree on who we think is best from the past 6, so expect some disappointment when they get to #7.

It will be a quite different take on the character though. I'm reasonably certain of that.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767
    bondsum wrote: »

Brosnan yes, Dalton no way. I wouldn´t mind Turner screen testing as much as he wants. If the Producers find him worthy, I´ll be open to give him a shot.

Out of the H'wood hunks, Hemsworth would be top of my list, but I think at this point in his career, he's far too expensive. I don't think EoN want to start with a new 007 who would demand almost what DC is making for his last Bond film.

But Hemsworth has more going on in his "little finger" than Cavill, and he can crush Hiddleston with a glare. These last two don't even register for me-- especially the latter one who's more suited to play a version of the Joker, than he is to play Bond.
    Ha! Now I will re-watch The Nightmanager again, not only because it´s great, but also out of sheer protest ;-)!

@peter If you were choosing 3 for an official screentest, at this time who would they be?

Actually this can go out to all, who are your top 3.
    Dan Stevens and two unknown, charismatic, tall, lean, masculine Talents ;-).
    Not too worried though. In fact I hadn´t heard of Stevens before Apostle, and he instantly struck me. So I guess there is a Chance some other Talents might be out there.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »

Ha! Now I will re-watch The Nightmanager again, not only because it´s great, but also out of sheer protest ;-)!
    That sounds like a good idea. The Night Manager is an exceptional tv series. Very LTK'ish.

RE: the next Bond: History has a tendency to repeat itself, but it's never quite entirely in the same fashion. We can go as far back to Connery's tenure and even the end of Moore's for clues imho. One day we'll finally know who it is.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Aidan Turner is perfect for Bond. He would be the next in a line of composite Bonds, made up from the four constituents of Connery through Dalton. I think the Brosnan and Dalton comparisons are apt, as he would play it as a blend of both, melding Brosnans cool charm and Dalton's severe intensity. We need back the humour and charisma that has been lacking, and has reinvigorated cinema across the past 6 years since 2012. Culture is ever shifting, and we do not live in "dark and gritty" era any longer. Bond has some serious catching up to do once Craig is out of the picture. So why does Turner fit the bill? Because first and foremost he fills many of the blanks of the Craig Bond, and provides a fresh direction to take the character. I think most are frankly sick to death of the "down on his luck" Bond feeling sorry for himself, navalgazing the nights away. It's run its course. Aidan Turner looks and acts like the antedote to what so many seem agitated by with the current era. There's no flair, and what is there seems artificial. I think this comes down to the guy in the tux. Daniel Craig as an actor does not give off a cavelier aura, and so the films accordingly do not either. Someone like Turner would amp up this element in droves. He is magnetic as a presence, and thus far remains undiscovered on the big screen. The dark debonair sly could return in a big way, and he could include the darkness with Dalton explored as well. It's that perfect rough and smooth combination. We need a shake up, back to the familiar, or perhaps forgotten ways of the past, without the cheap callbacks. I have always said that if the plan is to reboot in a Goldeneye Style fashion, then Turner is the ultimate choice.
    As long as Fassbender or Aiden Turner don't get anywhere near the part I will be happy.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Aidan Turner won't be James Bond ever.

Shardlake wrote: »
    Aidan Turner won't be James Bond ever.

Put virtually any actors name in this prediction and the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor to be correct.

LeChiffre wrote: »
    As long as Fassbender or Aiden Turner don't get anywhere near the part I will be happy.
    If I may ask, @LeChiffre, why not Fassbender?