Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

peter wrote: »
    Re: Boyle: I agree— substantial enough that led to the parting of ways.

@Torgeirtrap I think we dodged a bullet. With what the good @ColonelSun had relayed, and this little tidbit, it was clear the Boyle experience was quickly becoming a disaster— great idea be damned!

Barbara & co. made the best decision possible. And probably the hardest (putting the threat of a delay on the table— thankfully it ended up being only minimally put behind schedule).

And thank you, my fingers are crossed!

I honestly never understood the appeal of Boyle to some here.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I hadn't seen much (if anything) of Boyle's until he was announced as director. I have been quite impressed by the work that I've seen of his to date, particularly how he handles motion, sound and how he deals with characters.

I had three concerns with him. 1) I'm generally not too keen on who he casts in his films (he doesn't have Campbell's eye in this regard imho, particularly when it comes to actresses. I'm old school and believe eye candy is critical); 2) although he may be a British treasure, I think his time has past overseas; 3) even with his announcement, I felt the film lacked fundamental marketplace buzz.

I still think it needs a big jolt of the latter, and fully expect (given this is a commercial enterprise) that we will get it at some point.
    I always thought Boyle was a bit too big a name for Bond. And too much Boyle. Mendes was also a big name, but I thought he had at least a genuine love for the movies (sometimes too much), while Boyle was Boyle wanting to do Boyle stuff.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Boyle loved Ian Fleming which was more than enough. While his films are sylized, so are Mendes, (in his case stagey). They’re both auteurs. Boyle has energy and a better understanding of filmmaking rather than stage drama. I can get someone not liking his visual style but he does understand story. I never got a genuine love for the movies from Mendes, just some nods, and he definitely doesn’t fundamentally understand why Bond, the books, or the movies are great. I’m definitely curious what Boyle wanted to do because it was undoubtedly his take on Fleming. That said I’m still happier Fukunaga is helming.
    Boyle may know the literary Bond, but he struck me as wanting to do Boyle rather than Bond. From what I've seen of him, his style is very surreal.
    I'm not so sure I'd even call Danny Boyle a big name director. People don't specifically go out of their way to see the latest Danny Boyle movie like they do a Spielberg or a Nolan movie. He hasn't made a blockbuster, nor will he ever likely do. Anyway, I'm glad we've moved on and Fukunaga is helming B25.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm not so sure I'd even call Danny Boyle a big name director. People don't specifically go out of their way to see the latest Danny Boyle movie like they do a Spielberg or a Nolan movie. He hasn't made a blockbuster, nor will he ever likely do. Anyway, I'm glad we've moved on and Fukunaga is helming B25.

Well he's not that big but he's pretty big: Trainspotting and freaking Slumdog Millionaire. He did the London Olympics opening ceremony. I'd say he's bigger than Mendes.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Trainspotting was more of a UK hit than it was an American success story. It only pulled in $16.4 million in North America. Not quite sure how you're measuring a "big name" here @Ludovico. The Olympics is primarily a sporting event, not a cinematic one. You'd have a point that Boyle has tasted more success than Mendes, if Mendes hadn't made two hugely successful Bond movies back-to-back. Yes, Slumdog was very popular, it won lots of awards, but does the average cinemagoer go to see a Danny Boyle film because of his reputation anymore, if ever? The Steve Jobs movie lost money as did Trance, which bombed terribly.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Agree with @bondsum , Slumdog may have been a good movie (a bit overdone if you ask me), but he's hardly the cashcow director.

@peter thank you for those insights! I never doubted Barbara has a good hand, except for the writers. But then again, finding good writers is increadably difficult.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Trainspotting was more of a UK hit than it was an American success story. It only pulled in $16.4 million in North America. Not quite sure how you're measuring a "big name" here @Ludovico. The Olympics is primarily a sporting event, not a cinematic one. You'd have a point that Boyle has tasted more success than Mendes, if Mendes hadn't made two hugely successful Bond movies back-to-back. Yes, Slumdog was very popular, it won lots of awards, but does the average cinemagoer go to see a Danny Boyle film because of his reputation anymore, if ever? The Steve Jobs movie lost money as did Trance, which bombed terribly.

That they asked him to do the Olympics ceremony is testament to his reputation. At least in the UK. Cinematic event or not. Trainspotting was huge in the 90s where I was (Quebec), it was a bit of a cult, fairly indy perhaps but something one had to see. It was compared to A Clockwork Orange. Unfairly I think as ACO is far superior to Boyle's movie, but it was big. I'll qualify my comparison with Mendes : Boyle is bigger now than Mendes was when he accepted to do SF. And since his recent movies did badly it kind of confirms my reluctance to have him directing a Bond movie: he might be a has been director.
    I too, in part, share your reluctance over Boyle as a future Bond director @Ludovico. I was always slightly uneasy about his own left-wing politics seeping into the movie, which I did point out when he was first announced. Like @DoctorNo I was buoyed by the hope that his love of Fleming might redeem him in some small fashion, but it would seem he wanted to change Bond too much, so the rumour mill would imply. I'm glad he's gone.
    It's not so much his politics which I know little about than his ego and directing style I don't think fitted with Bond. Also as he's 61, he would hardly have been new blood brought to the franchise.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    A few weeks ago I watched the Bodyguard, and loved everything about it.

My wife didn't watch it with me since I binged it quite quickly...

She's now started to watch it, and I've joined her.

Once again, it's a crying shame that Madden appears quite short. If he is the same height, or close to DC's height, it has to be his build that makes him look significantly shorter.

He's a damn fine actor, and just re-watching the series certainly has him rocket-past any hypothetical contenders. Every scene he's in is captivating. He's got a gritty charisma, and oodles of talent. He showed off some charm in the more "intimate" moments with the Home Secretary. And he moves as if he's slightly, tightly, wound-- which gave him an element of controlled danger, like he could snap (and some of those scenes when he did snap
    the choking scene for instance
    , he pulled it off with ease).

I have him as my clear number one. Stevens as my number two. With these two guys, it's a great distance to my third-- Turner. After that?...

• StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Craig is 1.78, Madden 1.77.

I have them in reverse order, Stevens no1.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Any heights found online should be taken with a grain, if not a shaker of salt .
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    True but he doesn't look much shorter then Craig.
    StanKobra wrote: »
    True but he doesn't look much shorter then Craig.

That’s debatable...

• peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 2018 Posts: 8,552
    I think he looks quite a bit shorter than Craig. But man, this guy can act, and if he did become Bond (sadly I can't see it happening), I would be over the moon.

What he did in The Bodyguard was knock it right out of the park. Watching it a second time I'm even more impressed with his performance. He just seems like a seasoned pro. We will finish it tonight, and I can't wait to re-experience his execution of performance during
    his set-up

I will certainly follow this guy's career and, if not Bond, I hope many more juicy roles await him!

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Madden is awesome in Bodyguard and it’s a crime he’s not taller... Craig did break that mold so maybe they should consider. He’s kind of of a younger Fassbender. Who btw, if they don’t have anyone good on the scene for B26, they should do a one-off with Fassbender or Hugh Jackman... that way they buy themselves more time to find someone great and we get a JB movie with either of those guys.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 7,985
    Not to be a “heightist”, I’m not tall , but I believe Daniel is just at the minimum desired height for Bond.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    talos7 wrote: »
    Not to be a “heightist”, I’m not tall , but I believe Daniel is just at the minimum desired height for Bond.
    He is, barely imho.

Based on the clues that have been dropped over the last couple of years, I'm 99% sure Madden won't be Bond, despite what the press currently says.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Well, I'm 5'6 so, as far as i'm concerned, everyone's tall ;) Except for Dustin Hoffman, who is a kindred spirit.
    bondjames wrote: »
    He is, barely imho.

Based on the clues that have been dropped over the last couple of years, I'm 99% sure Madden won't be Bond, despite what the press currently says.
    @bondjames, apart from the press writing all Kinds of Things, why would clues that have been dropped over the last couple of years be reliable in our fast-changing times?

Univex wrote: »
    Well, I'm 5'6 so, as far as i'm concerned, everyone's tall ;) Except for Dustin Hoffman, who is a kindred spirit.
    And yet, Dustin Hoffman could kill a man with a mere look. What a fantastic double-oh Agent he would provide!

@boldfinger, that's just it. Most of what's in the media isn't reliable. You have to sift through the nonsense. Madden is part of that. There's always a chance he gets it, but I'm nearly completely sure he isn't going to be the next Bond. Good for discussion though.
    Pretty much anytime the media promotes a new actor for Bond I think of it as rubbish, regardless of how decent he might be for the role. I doubt Barbara and Michael are even remotely concentrating on Craig's replacement just yet.
    @bondjames, I agree. It´s understandable he´s mentioned, much like Hiddleston when The Night Manager came out. Both roles share a number of Elements with the Bond role, however without being "like Bond". So the media see themselves justified to bring them up, but nobody would care unless they write something like "next Bond Actor" next to it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Pretty much anytime the media promotes a new actor for Bond I think of it as rubbish, regardless of how decent he might be for the role. I doubt Barbara and Michael are even remotely concentrating on Craig's replacement just yet.

I imagine you're very correct with this assumption. There's a film to be made in the present-- that's all they're worried/concerned about.
    peter wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I imagine you're very correct with this assumption. There's a film to be made in the present-- that's all they're worried/concerned about.

Indeed. I'm sure making B25 the best possible Bond film is their priority. I'd day most of us here realize that as much fun as it is to speculate on Craig's replacement.

However, the general public I imagine will buy just about anything the media strongly publicizes.
    I've had quite a few acquaintances and friends ask me when the Elba Bond film is coming out and so forth.
    Yeah, just about, I suppose. It's kind of a bit more obvious when you look at his torso length in ratio to the rest of him; it's more truncated than elongated, which a taller person would possess.

Here's some stats for you to ponder over:
    Literary Bond: 6' 167 lb
    Connery in Dr No: 6' 2½"
    Lazenby in OHMSS: 6' 2"
    Moore in LALD: 6' 1"
    Dalton in TLDL: 6' 2"
    Brosnan in GE: 6' 1½"
    Craig in CR: 5' 10"

Though I'm sure there's slight differences in recorded height over each of the actor's tenures as one does shrink as one gets older.

Here's another cool graphic with slightly varying measurements.

image.jpg