Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Why not let Henry Cavill have dual roles? :)) =))

If he’s still Superman; I guess you can say, that’s still up in the air. :D

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Probably considered for Robin.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Or Alfred's long lost nephew. :))
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    Groomed as Batboy, then? :))
    Murdock wrote: »
    Groomed as Batboy, then? :))

"suit me up ye f***in uncle Alfred!!!" =))
    Or maybe O Connell is Man-Bat? He has the face for it.
    Or maybe O Connell is Man-Bat? He has the face for it.

And the teeth. =))
    Anything but Batman
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    …unless they want to go for a slightly older actor for Bond – perhaps doing only 3-4 films. Having an actor only for three films is something I find interesting. The guy won't stick around long enough for people to grow tired, and he'll maybe want people wanting more.
    This would be my preference. Start older and finish sooner. No point dragging another one out.

It would also open up the possibility for some actors who otherwise might not be considered due to age – like Fassbender for example (who's most likely too old now, no matter when Bond 26 starts production).

I would rather have three films with Fassbender than eight films with some tween nobody .

If Mr Tween Nobody made 8 Bond films it would only be because he was excellent in the part. Therefore it would be perfect casting.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    NicNac wrote: »
    …unless they want to go for a slightly older actor for Bond – perhaps doing only 3-4 films. Having an actor only for three films is something I find interesting. The guy won't stick around long enough for people to grow tired, and he'll maybe want people wanting more.
    This would be my preference. Start older and finish sooner. No point dragging another one out.

It would also open up the possibility for some actors who otherwise might not be considered due to age – like Fassbender for example (who's most likely too old now, no matter when Bond 26 starts production).

I would rather have three films with Fassbender than eight films with some tween nobody .

If Mr Tween Nobody made 8 Bond films it would only be because he was excellent in the part. Therefore it would be perfect casting.
    Or perhaps just popular. It's not necessarily the same thing these days. I can see Styles pulling in a certain (and increasingly very important demographic) crowd, but it wouldn't work for me.

Or perhaps just popular. It's not necessarily the same thing these days. I can see Styles pulling in a certain (and increasingly very important demographic) crowd, but it wouldn't work for me.

Oh, is that who Thunders was referring to?
    I think Harry Styles will break through as an actor, not particularly sure if he will ever be Bond material. But I wouldn't discount him just because he started out in a boy band.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883

I think Harry Styles will break through as an actor, not particularly sure if he will ever be Bond material. But I wouldn't discount him just because he started out in a boy band.
    I'll concede that he has charisma. I can certainly see him succeeding eventually if he puts his mind to it. To a degree, I think it would be advisable if he ditched his current fanbase in order to get respect. If I were him, I'd try for some more serious type films and play against type to establish himself.
    He is probably in that zone where he wants to be taken seriously as a singer/songwriter but also wants to break through as an actor. And while he does need to dump the teenies that actually may take care of itself, as his fan base naturally ages with him.

What is really important is that he doesn't get sucked into a One Direction reunion. That would only be a last resort move for anyone.

Haven't seen Dunkirk so I don't know whether he had any on screen charisma.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2018 Posts: 4,554

I'll concede that he has charisma. I can certainly see him succeeding eventually if he puts his mind to it. To a degree, I think it would be advisable if he ditched his current fanbase in order to get respect. If I were him, I'd try for some more serious type films and play against type to establish himself.

Had Nolan directed Bond 25, I'd have suspected that Styles would do the title song ("Sign of the Times" is the perfect non-Bond Bond tune). Styles might have also had a cameo.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    TripAces wrote: »

Had Nolan directed Bond 25, I'd have suspected that Styles would do the title song ("Sign of the Times" is the perfect non-Bond Bond tune). Styles might have also had a cameo.
    giphy.webp
    A while back, following the release of Dunkirk, I said that with some maturity, I could see Styles as a potential Bond. In large part because of his boyband roots, many scoffed.
    I think if Nolan does eventually direct and depending on what he wants to do with the character, Styles will be a contender. He has loads of a quality that can't be acquired, charisma. It's a quality that is a must for success as Bond. By the time this may happen he will be near, if not at thirty.
    I think Harry Styles is a silly suggestion. It's up there (or down there!) with Daniel Radcliffe. You can't suggest any actor that pops into your mind. Well, you can but you gotta expect negative reaction.

For example - if I said Lee Ryan as Bond. He was in boy band Blue, has appeared in Eastenders and Strictly Come Dancing. He should be considered.

LeeRyan-98b2aaf.jpg?quality=90&lb=620,413&background=white

Go for it, Lee! :P

I'm taking the pi*s of course but it's no different than suggesting Styles or any random guy that might have appeared in a film or tv show that you saw and liked in the last year.

People want a Bond that reflects themselves hence the interest in black Bond or female Bond or pop star turned actor Bond. That's not how to cast James Bond. Bond is meant to be a bit elusive, not your average bloke. Craig broke that rule but life moves on.. but the point stands that Bond should be a bit non-average in appearance, confidence and style. This is a tired point of view - we've had Craig for over a decade (THINGS MOVE ON!!!) and yes, in theory, any bloke with decent acting ability and the right age and average appearance could be the next Bond but I don't think that's the way to cast Bond. If any one can play Bond (assuming they're not a giant or a dwarf, not disfigured, not completely devoid of acting ability) then Bond is just another action hero. Anyone can play him. That diminishes the character? I believe so.

edited October 2018 Posts: 7,981
    Or perhaps some see something in him that you don’t, something that time and experience will make apparent.
    His being in a boy band has never been presented as a qualification; far from it, the point being made is that it should not count against him.
    talos7 wrote: »
    His being in a boy band has never been presented as a qualification; far from it, the point being made is that it should not count against him.

I can just see the headlines now: BOY BOND.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 7,981
    To play devil's advocate, Not if he's done the work to establish himself as a legitimate actor as have Will Smith , Justin Timberlake and "Marky Mark” Wahlberg.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can't believe people are seriously suggesting Harry Styles.

I'm not going to let this conversation go by without mentioning the best Bond that never was:

I'm not going to let this conversation go by without mentioning the best Bond that never was:

Hear, hear! :-D
    I still find it strange to think that the Brosnan era didn't have a theme sung by Robbie – instead we got Sheryl Crow and Madonna. Well, at least he got to do the Johnny English tune (which is better than both the TND and the DAD theme song)…
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I still find it strange to think that the Brosnan era didn't have a theme sung by Robbie – instead we got Sheryl Crow and Madonna. Well, at least he got to do the Johnny English tune (which is better than both the TND and the DAD theme song)…

All jokes aside, Man For All Seasons should have been in a Bond theme.

It's a decent song actually! It plays on the typical Bond theme song elements, but why shouldn't it. Suits the film perfectly.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Could be because he was never popular in America.

I like that song.
    It is a very good theme and would have suited a Bond film perfectly.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,295

Could be because he was never popular in America.

It's a shame if that's the reason we've not had a theme tune from him. He's well-known everywhere else in the world. He even performed at the World Cup opening this year!
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!

Who, Will Smoth?!
    St_George wrote: »

Who, Will Smoth?!

Will Smoth in Wave Link. Trust me, I just know.