No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The latest from CashleyPersia over on reddit:

I've heard the "big" idea is that Bond 25 will be a proper swansong for Craig and will give him a big meaty role. Supposedly, Bond will suffer from mental illness and depression.

They apparently going to film in Paris in December.

I've heard that Angelina Jolie is still being sought for the villain role. No word on who else is considered, but they want A-list.
    CashleyPersia 24 days ago: "the tone will be lighter than the last few movies"
    His comments are becoming quite the contradictory to what he claimed with his previous posts, each time.
    These rumors are making me less and less enthused.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It was intriguing when we were rabid and hungry for information but I feel like these rumors couldn't be more inconsistent anymore. I'd take all of them with a major, major grain of salt. That "Bond's female understudy" thing seems to have gotten dropped quick, too.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I think I'll start omitting Cashley from the front page timeline.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Guys let's not forget cashleypersia's comments shouldn't be taken as complete fact he is hearing these things from people in the film business but I will say the idea of having bond suffer from mental illness is quite fascinating
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    doubleoego wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    Has this been posted? An article on how Universal snatched up the OS rights. Also confirms that the deal is for one film only, and Annapurna aren't contributing to the production budget (as to whether Universal is, likely but not known ATM) https://www.screendaily.com/news/why-universal-was-the-clear-choice-as-international-partner-on-bond-25/5129720.article

“Barbara Broccoli wants a one billion dollar international gross”

Depressing comment. Maybe just think about making a good film first and foremost and let the grosses take care of themselves?

Agreed. This shows that Babs has learned nothing and her priorities aren't in order. Sure, a film is made to make money, especially a film on this scale but the priority and focus should be all about making a great film that actually delivers, something Bond hasn't properly done since CR. Make a good film worth seeing and the money will come.

Well, Babs has done serious Broadway shows and Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool, so clearly she's not all about the $.
    echo wrote: »
    Has this been posted? An article on how Universal snatched up the OS rights. Also confirms that the deal is for one film only, and Annapurna aren't contributing to the production budget (as to whether Universal is, likely but not known ATM) https://www.screendaily.com/news/why-universal-was-the-clear-choice-as-international-partner-on-bond-25/5129720.article

“Barbara Broccoli wants a one billion dollar international gross”

Depressing comment. Maybe just think about making a good film first and foremost and let the grosses take care of themselves?

Agreed. This shows that Babs has learned nothing and her priorities aren't in order. Sure, a film is made to make money, especially a film on this scale but the priority and focus should be all about making a great film that actually delivers, something Bond hasn't properly done since CR. Make a good film worth seeing and the money will come.

Well, Babs has done serious Broadway shows and Film Stars Don't Die In Liverpool, so clearly she's not all about the $.

Don't see how this has anything to do with what I said.

She's interested in artistic quality as well as money. Whether those endeavors have been successful is another question entirely.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883

I've heard the "big" idea is that Bond 25 will be a proper swansong for Craig and will give him a big meaty role. Supposedly, Bond will suffer from mental illness and depression.

I've heard that Angelina Jolie is still being sought for the villain role. No word on who else is considered, but they want A-list.

The slashing wrist thing might not be so far off then.
    I hope all of what Cashley is saying is BS.
    If this rumour is true maybe he should slash his wrists for real and be done with it.

This does fit in with the Logan thing but honestly I think it's all rubbish. I can't imagine they'd want to depress us further than they already have, and it's not conducive to their reported $1bn foreign box office ambitions either. Better to go lighter, as that appears to be the trend in the market.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    The big question I have is when Boyle/Hodge came up with their Bond idea. And under what circumstances. Was this something they started bantering around a long time ago, during their Beach days or something, that over the years became more serious? Or was it something they thought of after SP? Or was it an early idea they shelved and then worked on after SP?
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    TripAces wrote: »
    The big question I have is when Boyle/Hodge came up with their Bond idea. And under what circumstances. Was this something they started bantering around a long time ago, during their Beach days or something, that over the years became more serious? Or was it something they thought of after SP? Or was it an early idea they shelved and then worked on after SP?

From what I understand, it’s an idea they’ve had since 2012 or prior.
    I am buying the tissues now to cry into when Craig leaves. I know Bond will go on but I'm finding it hard to see anyone out there who could do nearly as good a job.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

It sounds more like they're about to film Raymond Benson's Doubleshot (2000)!
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I am buying the tissues now to cry into when Craig leaves. I know Bond will go on but I'm finding it hard to see anyone out there who could do nearly as good a job.
    Babs shares your opinion. Who knows, maybe he'll do another one after a few years. Anything is possible so don't give up hope.
    bondjames wrote: »
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Babs shares your opinion. Who knows, maybe he'll do another one after a few years. Anything is possible so don't give up hope.

It's kind of like a repeat of the Roger Moore era post-Moonraker when his initial contract for four ran out and where each new Bond film was negotiated separately by Moore and Eon until he felt the money to return to the Bond role was right.
  • RC7RC7
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It was intriguing when we were rabid and hungry for information but I feel like these rumors couldn't be more inconsistent anymore. I'd take all of them with a major, major grain of salt. That "Bond's female understudy" thing seems to have gotten dropped quick, too.

With a little thought it could be very easy to create a convincing ‘insider’ persona. I’ve mentioned it and proved it here before. It’s about creating a core of authenticity, then sprinkling in some left field (but believable) ‘rumours’.

If done well it’s hard to separate the BS from those who have some genuine insight. It’s why I get frustrated when certain things gain traction that I know are bollocks. I certainly do not consider myself an ‘insider’, but I do get very clear intel from time to time. I knew about P+W and Craig a long time before it was announced. But things do change - as evidenced with the P+W situation (but of course at the time that intel was true).

This Cashleypersia bloke has never seemed legit to me. The press play a similar trick - they trawl places like this and cherry pick genuinely interesting observations/ideas people like @Pierce2Daniel would post and legitimise them because they’re a ‘reputable’ source.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    Boyle does 'cool' fairly naturally. Trainspotting has a special swagger to it. He also uses music well, from Trainspotting's iconic soundtrack to MIA's paper planes in Slumdog millionaire to 007 theme used in T2. While that's commercial song use he also uses score music very memorably and effectively in 28 Days Later.

Boyle appears to make films he's interested and passionate about rather than being seduced by a big Hollywood projects. The exception perhaps being The Beach, but even that is based on a novel by a writer (Alex garland) that Boyle would collaborate with on other films afterwards.

I'm really excited by Boyle and hodge being responsible for Bond 25. I can't think of too many more appropriate British director for Craig's swan song,
    Will this really be a swansong for Craig?
    Surely Bond 26 will be a 2022 release to coincide with the 60th anniversary. It would be a very risky move to put a new actor in the role for that milestone. Wouldn't blame Babs if she tried to convince Craig to stay for a 6th.
    TR007 wrote: »
    Surely Bond 26 will be a 2022 release to coincide with the 60th anniversary. It would be a very risky move to put a new actor in the role for that milestone. Wouldn't blame Babs if she tried to convince Craig to stay for a 6th.

Yes, good point, and see my Roger Moore comparison above. Daniel Craig's already been in the role of Bond longer than Moore too.
  • RC7RC7

It’s not out of the question. Despite the backlash on here, I don’t believe there’s any real thirst for change amongst the general audience - which is perhaps in part because there is no genuine heir apparent. So yes, it’s possible. Just as Moore wasn’t expected to return on several occasions.
    CashleyPersia is so unreliable. Believe at your own risk.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    CashleyPersia is so unreliable. Believe at your own risk.

Like a lot of these chaps, he probably wants to make a name for himself. However, he could end up being infamous rather than famous! It can all backfire if you're just making it up as you go along.

Bond 25 will be Barbara's final Bond movie.
  • RC7RC7

Speaking of people who make stuff up...
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    This Cashley fellow is really playing us for chumps.

This wouldn’t be surprising honestly.
  • RC7RC7
    This Cashley fellow is really playing us for chumps.

If you believe him.
    FoxRox wrote: »

This wouldn’t be surprising honestly.
    It wouldn't bother me if it is, although I see scant evidence at present to suggest that it will be.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    I honestly don't see the problem with bond developing a mental illness and depression it really is fitting for this era and it could be an interesting side to bond we have never seen before as long as bond isn't a depressed angry man through the entire film then I'm down for that idea maybe they can play it up like Tony Stark's PTSD in iron man 3
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    If TLJ was really hated by audiences it wouldn't have reached a billion after that opening weekend like Batman v Superman didn't. While there are legit criticisms that have been voiced, the so called backlash - the calls for boycotting 'Soylo', Rian Johnson, Kathleen Kennedy etc - is only coming from specific corners of the fanbase that are rather backwards to put it kindly. So if something similar happens here with Bond - which I just think it might, if some reactions I'm seeing on this thread and other Bond forums to the female villain/protege rumours, suggestions of Bond fitting into the current MeToo climate etc is to go by - I say yes, bugger THOSE fans
    Sounds like you're more than overjoyed with lamentable TLJ and the potential female protégé idea so it seems like you are being well served.

I guess they aren't making Bond films for old farts like me anymore. The more EON can attract the repeat audience of teenagers the better for the box office and people like me can just go back to my Fleming books and the early films I guess. If that's the route they want to take the character that's their prerogative I suppose and I'm happy for you that you think that's a good thing. IMHO it would be sad and misguided - and you'd be alienating a group of hardcore fans not to mention all the elder demographic who have been supporting Bond films for 56 years and still have no guarantee of hitting the elusive billion - but as long as they get the Chinese and the youth on board who cares I guess?
    It's just a question of marketing and how you present the film to potential audiences
    Is it? So with the right poster and Twitter campaign and appearances at ComicCon you could convince a load of teenagers to go to the latest Lars Von Trier? I'll take your word for it.

No doubt utter bullshit but I don't see anything in that comment that isn't anything that isn't in YOLT. I'd certainly prefer this to be true than the female protégé. Obviously it's a load of bollocks because Boyle and Hodge's big idea can hardly be just 'Let's film YOLT' as even EON must have thought of managed to think of that themselves surely?
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Would we be happy if Danny Boyle used the OO7 theme (last heard in MR) at some point in Bond 25?
    Or has it been too long, and might not fit a modern Bond film. I personally would love to hear it again, so long as it fit the occasion and wasn't merely used for the sake of it.
    As @Major_Boothroyd mentioned above, it was used in T2. Just a thought.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    It might only be my personal opinion but, the 007 theme never struck me as a spy theme in the slightest that actually fits Bond. It's more suitable to a war film with a 1950s dramatic tonality in its structure.