No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2018 Posts: 2,721
    Chris has timed his return perfectly! Looking forward to hearing the podcast when I get the chance.

Great rumour on David Arnold!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    YESSSS!!! I'm 100% behind a return of Arnold!
    I hope Arnold does indeed return. He did an excellent job with CR and QOS. I hope Bond 25 is a little more like CR/QOS in tone, but I'd also be okay with lighter action.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The latest from CashleyPersia over on reddit:

I've heard the "big" idea is that Bond 25 will be a proper swansong for Craig and will give him a big meaty role. Supposedly, Bond will suffer from mental illness and depression.

They apparently going to film in Paris in December.

I've heard that Angelina Jolie is still being sought for the villain role. No word on who else is considered, but they want A-list.

If this is the case, I'm not sure if I'm going to bother watching it. So, so far from what I want with a Bond movie. Surely it can't be too difficult delivering an upbeat Bond adventure again?
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2018 Posts: 2,721
    I can't see Boyle going down that road. He strikes me as a guy who would want to uphold the past qualities of Bond. Cool and debonair. I don't see where 'suffering mental illness and depression' leads the character or the plot. Instead I sense that Boyle is a huge Connery fan. But I guess at present it's all down to what speculation you wish to believe and I wish to believe that Hodge and Boyle have a clever, intriguing plot idea that'll be a lighter touch, return to form with action and David Arnold score.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It was intriguing when we were rabid and hungry for information but I feel like these rumors couldn't be more inconsistent anymore. I'd take all of them with a major, major grain of salt. That "Bond's female understudy" thing seems to have gotten dropped quick, too.

With a little thought it could be very easy to create a convincing ‘insider’ persona. I’ve mentioned it and proved it here before. It’s about creating a core of authenticity, then sprinkling in some left field (but believable) ‘rumours’.

If done well it’s hard to separate the BS from those who have some genuine insight. It’s why I get frustrated when certain things gain traction that I know are bollocks. I certainly do not consider myself an ‘insider’, but I do get very clear intel from time to time. I knew about P+W and Craig a long time before it was announced. But things do change - as evidenced with the P+W situation (but of course at the time that intel was true).

This Cashleypersia bloke has never seemed legit to me. The press play a similar trick - they trawl places like this and cherry pick genuinely interesting observations/ideas people like @Pierce2Daniel would post and legitimise them because they’re a ‘reputable’ source.
    I agree 100%. I began to suspect that this Cashley fella was someone that was feeding us disinformation sprinkled with a little bit of truth a while back, simply for the purposes of keeping Bond rumours ticking over in the vacuum. There only has to be a small number of half-truths put out for the rest of the disinformation to be believed. To some degree it's working, but I definitely smell a rat here.
    I urge everyone to not believe Cashley. He is always changing his mind and throwing out baseless rumors. Let’s just wait and see on the official details.
    Thrilled to have @JamesBondRadio back in full swing! Looking forward to listening to this weeks episode later today.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited June 2018 Posts: 10,588
    James Bond Radio just said in their latest podcast that, according to their sources, a phone call between David Arnold and Danny Boyle has taken place.

1 hour 4 minutes and 40 seconds in.
    Interesting.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

I've heard the "big" idea is that Bond 25 will be a proper swansong for Craig and will give him a big meaty role. Supposedly, Bond will suffer from mental illness and depression.

I've heard that Angelina Jolie is still being sought for the villain role. No word on who else is considered, but they want A-list.

If this is the case, I'm not sure if I'm going to bother watching it. So, so far from what I want with a Bond movie. Surely it can't be too difficult delivering an upbeat Bond adventure again?

As with many others, this has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.
    If the story has a sub plot of Bond suffering mental illness and depression, then how is he possibly fit for field duty or saving the world again.
    Really can't see it happening.
    I do like the idea of David Arnold returning though. He's the closest to John Barry that we've got in the score department.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    YrpexKT.png

Experience it in WhoopiVision.

=)) @PropertyOfALady You have truly outdone yourself!

Yes, that's hilarious, my friend!
    I think we've outgrown David Arnold. It's been a decade since he last worked on a Bond film and, frankly, I think we need a new composer. I liked Newman's work on SF a lot and there are a few themes in SF that a very good (even if the overall soundtrack is a little derivative).

Apparently, David Arnold worked with Boyle on the 2012 Opening Ceremony. HOWEVER, there is contrary reporting that Rick Smith was the actual one that did the music.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2305700/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

So god knows what exactly Arnold contributed...

I really like Arnold's music in TWINE, DAD, CR and (arguably his best work) QOS. He got better as he progressed. But that was 10 years ago. I want Boyle to hire someone who suits his style. Arnold is too much of a John Barry acolyte. I want something new.

I think either Rick Smith or John Murphy will score Bond 25.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm with you @Pierce2Daniel. Looking forward to a new sound in the scoring department. I find a new composer tends to bring a new energy with him which the film can benefit from. I'm not familiar with Rick Smith or John Murphy though.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It might only be my personal opinion but, the 007 theme never struck me as a spy theme in the slightest that actually fits Bond. It's more suitable to a war film with a 1950s dramatic tonality in its structure.

+1
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    YESSSS!!! I'm 100% behind a return of Arnold!

As am I.
    If anyone hasn't seen TRANCE, get on it asap. IMO it's the closest Boyle has to a Bond film to date, and I love the Rick Smith score. Although I'm not sure on him scoring B25, mind.... Either Pemberton or Arnold.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Do we think B25 will get an IMAX release? Given Wonder Woman 2 comes out a week before, it seems likely that the latter will occupy IMAX screens for a while after.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    Do we think B25 will get an IMAX release? Given Wonder Woman 2 comes out a week before, it seems likely that the latter will occupy IMAX screens for a while after.
    I think it will be similar to what is happening at present with IW, SW-Solo and Deadpool2. Some theatres will give it to Bond and others to WW2. Ultimately they will both suffer a bit but if I was to bet, at least in US/Canada, WW2 will hold the IMAX screens for longer because it will be the higher grosser by far. Ultimately it comes down to bums in seats.
    antovolk wrote: »
    If anyone hasn't seen TRANCE, get on it asap. IMO it's the closest Boyle has to a Bond film to date, and I love the Rick Smith score. Although I'm not sure on him scoring B25, mind.... Either Pemberton or Arnold.
    Thanks, I will seek out TRANCE shortly.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

I would say yes cause deadpool 2 came out a week before solo and both movies were in IMAX also the first wonder woman came out in IMAX before being booted off a week later by the mummy so I see no reason bond 25 can't be released in IMAX

Most likely scenario is an international theatres only deal for one week before WW2. This is because of the earlier Oct 25 release date, Wonder Woman 2 - which fyi is gonna be filmed with their 70mm cameras so at least a two week run in IMAX mandated - coming before Bond in the US, and of course Annapurna handling US distribution Vs Universal doing international.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I hope Arnold does indeed return. He did an excellent job with CR and QOS. I hope Bond 25 is a little more like CR/QOS in tone, but I'd also be okay with lighter action.

God I hope so. I will preorder the soundtrack.
    Benny wrote: »

If the story has a sub plot of Bond suffering mental illness and depression, then how is he possibly fit for field duty or saving the world again.
    I do like the idea of David Arnold returning though. He's the closest to John Barry that we've got in the score department.

This definitely have to be taken with a huge grain of salt, indeed. They did however manage to make a film with a foster brother angle…
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    FoxRox wrote: »

God I hope so. I will preorder the soundtrack.

Same.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Benny wrote: »

This definitely have to be taken with a huge grain of salt, indeed. They did however manage to make a film with a foster brother angle…
    Well quite. I’m still not counting my chickens yet that the Whoopi Goldberg thing was just someone on here taking the piss!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think David Arnold is capable of more than one sound. TND soundtrack sounds nothing like CR soundtrack, at least not to my ear.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I think David Arnold is capable of more than one sound. TND soundtrack sounds nothing like CR soundtrack, at least not to my ear.

Exactly. Last time we got a "new sound", we got Newman. We need Arnold.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Remington wrote: »

A new sound that earned Newman an Oscar nomination and a Grammy award, btw
    I want the score to be memorable and compliment the film. Be an extension of it, as it were, and accentuate the mood of various scenes. I believe all of the 'one-offs' (and I consider Newman a one-off because he merely revisited his SF effort for SP) have done that wonderfully. Hence I'd rather Boyle use someone he is familiar with and who he uses frequently. Someone attuned to his approach. At the very least, we'll get a new sound which will add to a much needed (imho) feeling of freshness.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    TripAces wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »

A new sound that earned Newman an Oscar nomination and a Grammy award, btw
    John Barry never got a single Oscar nom for one of his Bond scores so I’m not quite sure what point you’re trying to make?
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    edited June 2018 Posts: 464
    I would love someone new scoring bond 25 but at the same time I am 100% for arnold coming back he's basically the John Barry of this generation