No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I would love someone new scoring bond 25 but at the same time I am 100% for arnold coming back he's basically the John Barry of this generation
    I'm afraid I can't agree with this statement. It's fine to like Arnold, but I don't believe he should ever be mentioned in the same breath as John Barry, who is a recognized legend when it comes to composers.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited June 2018 Posts: 7,975
    bondjames wrote: »
    I would love someone new scoring bond 25 but at the same time I am 100% for arnold coming back he's basically the John Barry of this generation
    I'm afraid I can't agree with this statement. It's fine to like Arnold, but I don't believe he should ever be mentioned in the same breath as John Barry, who is a recognized legend when it comes to composers.

I don't think Daniel Craig should be mentioned in the same breath as Sir Sean Connery, but that's the world we live in.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TripAces wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    I think David Arnold is capable of more than one sound. TND soundtrack sounds nothing like CR soundtrack, at least not to my ear.

Exactly. Last time we got a "new sound", we got Newman. We need Arnold.

A new sound that earned Newman an Oscar nomination and a Grammy award, btw
    John Barry never got a single Oscar nom for one of his Bond scores so I’m not quite sure what point you’re trying to make?

This. People equating Grammy's and Oscar's with the actual quality of the work is absurd. It's that same, awkward logic when I hear people say "the more money a movie makes at the box office, the better the movie is."
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited June 2018 Posts: 5,921
    YrpexKT.png

Experience it in WhoopiVision.

I'm hoping this will be the faithful adaptation of 007 in New York for which all us fans have been clamoring. The intrigue! The reptile house! The scrambled eggs!

Of course, the title song will be called "You In Danger, Girl."
    I can understand the desire for a new composer, but I say bring in Arnold one last time to close out the Craig era, then we can get a new composer for the next era in addition to all the other new people we will inevitably be getting. Arnold’s music is second only to Barry’s overall for Bond.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »
    I think David Arnold is capable of more than one sound. TND soundtrack sounds nothing like CR soundtrack, at least not to my ear.

Exactly. Last time we got a "new sound", we got Newman. We need Arnold.

A new sound that earned Newman an Oscar nomination and a Grammy award, btw
    John Barry never got a single Oscar nom for one of his Bond scores so I’m not quite sure what point you’re trying to make?

This. People equating Grammy's and Oscar's with the actual quality of the work is absurd. It's that same, awkward logic when I hear people say "the more money a movie makes at the box office, the better the movie is."

These are people who can t think for themselves. They are radicalized.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Benny wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The latest from CashleyPersia over on reddit:

I've heard the "big" idea is that Bond 25 will be a proper swansong for Craig and will give him a big meaty role. Supposedly, Bond will suffer from mental illness and depression.

They apparently going to film in Paris in December.

I've heard that Angelina Jolie is still being sought for the villain role. No word on who else is considered, but they want A-list.

If this is the case, I'm not sure if I'm going to bother watching it. So, so far from what I want with a Bond movie. Surely it can't be too difficult delivering an upbeat Bond adventure again?

As with many others, this has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.
    If the story has a sub plot of Bond suffering mental illness and depression, then how is he possibly fit for field duty or saving the world again.
    Really can't see it happening.
    I do like the idea of David Arnold returning though. He's the closest to John Barry that we've got in the score department.

This definitely have to be taken with a huge grain of salt, indeed. They did however manage to make a film with a foster brother angle…
    Well quite. I’m still not counting my chickens yet that the Whoopi Goldberg thing was just someone on here taking the piss!

giphy.gif
    Imagine: Whoopi Goldberg in character - even bringing the smoking back to the film series!
    Whoopi won t be Bond, but perhaps his rumoured protege?
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

@bondjames I was basically talking about the amount of times David Arnold scored the bond films I believe he is only the second composer behind John Barry of course nobody will ever top Barry the man is basically the father of the music of bond

Whoopi Goldberg is above the Bond franchise. Even with Boyle directing, I really don't see her accepting any role in any Bond movie.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 7,975
    220px-Theodore-rex-DVD.jpg

Let's not forget she has previous experience as a sidekick.
    220px-Theodore-rex-DVD.jpg

Let's not forget she has previous experience as a sidekick.

Surely they want to bring someone with the experience of playing a sidekick, just as Javier Bardem and Christoph Waltz have experience playing villains!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I heard this is exactly the co-star they have approached: Whoopi Goldberg will indeed be playing the protege. She's the sassy, but loveable under-study that, through her unfiltered and inappropriate observations, drives Agent 007 batty. But, in the end, they find a mutual respect, where Bond even cracks wise and uses his young underling's catch-phrases, and she impresses him by ordering the appropriate wine with their last dinner together.

It'll be the best odd-couple ever put to film.

I for one will be there first day.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    peter wrote: »
    I heard this is exactly the co-star they have approached: Whoopi Goldberg will indeed be playing the protege. She's the sassy, but loveable under-study that, through her unfiltered and inappropriate observations, drives Agent 007 batty. But, in the end, they find a mutual respect, where Bond even cracks wise and uses his young underling's catch-phrases, and she impresses him by ordering the appropriate wine with their last dinner together.

It'll be the best odd-couple ever put to film.

I for one will be there first day.
    I don’t even know what’s a joke and what EON consider a cracking idea any more.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The best part @TheWizardOfIce, will be the ground-breaking technology that will de-age, and shrink Whoopi, so she appears to be a twelve year old.

That's right, she's a highly gifted 12 year old that the service wants to recruit now. And, the best part is... she's an orphan. Bond will come full circle: an orphan himself, to becoming a surrogate father to this orphan.

On top of the great humour, there will be touching moments.

Bring a tissue. You're going to need it.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    This whoopi goldberg nonsense is getting completely out of hand
  • peterpeter Toronto
    You call it out of hand @Goldeneye0094, I call it “fresh”, “risky”, “groundbreaking”.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 684
    Only a matter of time now before some rag clickbait vendor (i.e. 'journalist') concentrates their attention span on scouring a post in this thread and fleshes it out as write up about Whoopi's Bond prospects for the Daily Mail.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Strog wrote: »
    Only a matter of time now before some rag clickbait vendor (i.e. 'journalist') concentrates their attention span on scouring a post in this thread and fleshes it out as write up about Whoopi's Bond prospects for the Daily Mail.

It won't surprise me. Several sites already ran with the "press conference confirmation" that came from @marketto007's fan-made press conference flyer.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117
    As long as it brings a younger audience in and gets us to the billion dollar mark I’m onboard.

Who gives a shit about Ian Fleming oscillating in his grave? Bloke has been dead over 50 years FFS. Gotta move with the times folks - we’re competing with Marvel and Star Wars these days.
    Once production starts the hype will really skyrocket. We’ll know the actors, locations, and potential story tidbits. In a year or less we should have an official trailer!
  • RC7RC7

Completely agree. What DA did brilliantly was to work to the vision of the director, which is a rarity these days. He’s old school in a way few EON employees are and he’s absolutely aware he’s not Barry, but he knows how a Bond score should work. A fluid relationship between the title song and score. Multiple motifs, replicated, reworked and dotted about the soundtrack. He just gets it.
    As long as it brings a younger audience in and gets us to the billion dollar mark I’m onboard.

Who gives a shit about Ian Fleming oscillating in his grave? Bloke has been dead over 50 years FFS. Gotta move with the times folks - we’re competing with Marvel and Star Wars these days.

That's the spirit!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    RC7 wrote: »

Completely agree. What DA did brilliantly was to work to the vision of the director, which is a rarity these days. He’s old school in a way few EON employees are and he’s absolutely aware he’s not Barry, but he knows how a Bond score should work. A fluid relationship between the title song and score. Multiple motifs, replicated, reworked and dotted about the soundtrack. He just gets it.

Yes, yes, and yes. Very well stated.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117

Well said.

You could just tell with SF and SP Newman was ordered to include a version of the title tracks somewhere in the score so he just randomly shoved it in once whereas Arnold does what Barry does and organically weaves it through the score.

This is why it’s essential the composer of the score has a hand in the title song as well rather than just farming it out to whichever flavour of the month artist they think might attract the most attention on Twitter.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It won't surprise me. Several sites already ran with the "press conference confirmation" that came from @marketto007's fan-made press conference flyer.
    Ah, yes. I'd remembered some such disgrace occurring recently though I'd forgotten the specifics.

--

I'm good with Arnold coming back to end Craig's tenure. I think highest of his score for QOS, so I'd love it if he used the same method imposed on him as then, creating the score from a read of the script instead of seeing the film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883

@bondjames I was basically talking about the amount of times David Arnold scored the bond films I believe he is only the second composer behind John Barry of course nobody will ever top Barry the man is basically the father of the music of bond
    @Goldeneye0094, thanks for the clarification. Then of course I agree. He is undoubtedly the most experienced when it comes to Bond given he has scored the most films.
    --

Regarding the issue that has been mentioned about incorporating the title song into the score, I definitely agree. This has been discussed several times in the past, but even John Barry had issues towards the end of his tenure when UA/EON were bringing in pop stars (most notably Aha) whose vision clashed with his own. At the end of the day, if they continue to chase flavours of the month for the title song, there is more likely than not going to be some disagreements when it comes to incorporating the song into the score. As I recall, YKMN wasn't even included in the CR soundtrack CD, probably on account of competing record label issues/copyright.

They also should allow the composer more time to prepare the score. The post-production times on these Bond films is rather tight, something that Barry complained about in the past too.

Yes, I agree. I remember in one of his interviews him mentioning how he could no more reinvent the Bond sound anymore than someone could create a new Star Wars theme. Bond will always be linked back to Barry and Arnold understands this. That being said I do enjoy the "one off" composer efforts, so I'll be happy either way. I don't "need" Arnold back personally, but I wouldn't be averse to it either. I think are is still much he could bring to the table.

Yes, I agree. I remember in one of his interviews him mentioning how he could no more reinvent the Bond sound anymore than someone could create a new Star Wars theme. Bond will always be linked back to Barry and Arnold understands this. That being said I do enjoy the "one off" composer efforts, so I'll be happy either way. I don't "need" Arnold back personally, but I wouldn't be averse to it either. I think are is still much he could bring to the table.

Yes, would be happy with Newman or Arnold back, or someone new.
  • RC7RC7

I agree. I’m also quite a fan of the one offs, LALD, TSWLM and FYEO spring to mind in particular. I’m open to a new sound, but likewise DA knows the score (no pun untended) and is capable of not repeating himself. If anything I imagine he’d absolutely smash it after a decade’s absence.