No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

octofinger wrote: »
    Bring back Conti, I say. The young people love the disco music these days. There's your billion at the box office!

Yeah!
    giphy.gif
    Bond in his naval uniform wearing Omega's Commander watch, sans the 007 logo?

Perhaps Bond will scuba dive and we'll get a close up on the new Omega SMP now that the waves as back!
    bondjames wrote: »
    Strangely perhaps to some, for me most of the tracks on SF work wonderfully and enhance the respective scenes. I particularly like Grand Bazaar, Istanbul, The Chimera, Shanghai Drive, and New Digs, which was partially responsible for me discovering this very forum. I also dig The Moors in this film too. All the tracks feel as though they just 'belong'. I must confess that I don't have the CD and have no intention of purchasing it, so I'm not sure how the tracks sound on their own.
    Not well at all. I speak from listening to SF and SF several times during long car trips, trying to give them a chance and there are times when I didn't even realize the score was still playing, they are that unmemorable. There is a track on SP, I think it's in Blofeld's lair, that is near silent for close to 30 seconds. I was constantly looking at the back of the jewel case to see what the track was and when it was in the film.

A good soundtrack brings you back to a scene in the film and Bond soundtracks are goldmines for that experience, which is why Barry and several of the other one-offs are such a pleasure to listen to. Newman scores are just there.
    Bond 25 crew member odds in my opinion as of early June:

Writer:
    90% - John Hodge only
    5% - Hodge + Purvis & Wade
    5% - Hodge + someone other than Purvis & Wade

Producer:
    90% - Craig will get a producer (meaning: co-producer, associate producer, or executive producer) credit again
    10 - Craig won't get a producer credit this time

Composer:
    50% - David Arnold (worked on 1 Boyle movie)
    5% - John Murphy (worked on 3 Boyle movies)
    5% - A.R. Rahman (worked on 2 Boyle movies)
    40% - someone else

Cinematographer:
    70% - Anthony Dod Mantle (worked on 6 Boyle movies)
    10% - Alwin H. Küchler (worked on 2 Boyle movies)
    20% - someone else

Production Designer:
    50% - Dennis Gassner
    5% - Guy Hendrix Dyas (worked on 1 Boyle movie)
    2,5% - Mark Tildesley (worked on 5 Boyle movies)
    2,5% - Patrick Rolfe (worked on 2 Boyle movies)
    40% - someone else

Editor:
    50% - Jon Harris (worked on 4 Boyle movies)
    10% - Stuart Baird
    40% - someone else

Costume Designer:
    40% - Suttirat Anne Larlarb (worked on 5 Boyle movies)
    10% - Louise Frogley
    10% - Lindy Hemming
    5% - Rachael Fleming (worked on 4 Boyle movies)
    35% - someone else
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Gassner has been confirmed.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Gassner has been confirmed.
    No, he hasn't. He said that he is doing it more than 6 months ago, back when they were still going with the script by Purvis & Wade and a director other than Boyle. A lot has changed since then. Also, remember than back in 2010/2011 long time editor of Sam Mendes, Tariq Anwar said that he was going to edit Skyfall. How did that turn out?

Gassner is still the most likely choice, but he is far from confirmed.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    If you say so.
    Bond 25 crew member odds in my opinion as of early June:

Writer:
    90% - John Hodge only
    5% - Hodge + Purvis & Wade
    5% - Hodge + someone other than Purvis & Wade

Producer:
    90% - Craig will get a producer (meaning: co-producer, associate producer, or executive producer) credit again
    10 - Craig won't get a producer credit this time

Composer:
    50% - David Arnold (worked on 1 Boyle movie)
    5% - John Murphy (worked on 3 Boyle movies)
    5% - A.R. Rahman (worked on 2 Boyle movies)
    40% - someone else

Cinematographer:
    70% - Anthony Dod Mantle (worked on 6 Boyle movies)
    10% - Alwin H. Küchler (worked on 2 Boyle movies)
    20% - someone else

Production Designer:
    50% - Dennis Gassner
    5% - Guy Hendrix Dyas (worked on 1 Boyle movie)
    2,5% - Mark Tildesley (worked on 5 Boyle movies)
    2,5% - Patrick Rolfe (worked on 2 Boyle movies)
    40% - someone else

Editor:
    50% - Jon Harris (worked on 4 Boyle movies)
    10% - Stuart Baird
    40% - someone else

Costume Designer:
    40% - Suttirat Anne Larlarb (worked on 5 Boyle movies)
    10% - Louise Frogley
    10% - Lindy Hemming
    5% - Rachael Fleming (worked on 4 Boyle movies)
    35% - someone else

I've got to question some of your odds there....

Writer:

I think this will be a John Hodge-solo effort. There is an outside chance that Boyle brings on another writer, but I feel if he does it will be at Eon's behest. They will want a more sanitised studio-approved writer to polish the final thing.

However, an important consideration to bear in mind. WGA regulations are very strict on first-draft writers. Original writers are often credited, even when most (if not all) their work is tossed out. I wouldn't be surprised if Purvis and Wade get a credit still.

Producer:

Eon won't hand over a p.g.a approved credit to Craig. But he's very instrumental to these films and will undoubtedly deserve a co-producer credit. After all, he campaigned for Boyle.

Composer:

There isn't a cat in hell's chance that Arnold will be the composer. He hasn't scored a major film for over 10 years. He's washed up. It's a shame, but Arnold's tastes are a little too passe for Boyle. I'm not doubting Boyle talked to Arnold, but that was probably just the telephone interview; there is a lot of work to be done if a Arnold (a composer Boyle worked with over 20 years ago) is to remain in his thoughts.

Music plays an integral part in all Boyle's films. I think Boyle will want someone like Rick Smith or John Murphy. However, both those names will strike fear into Eon's heart. Remember, they campaigned against Newman and it was Mendes who persuaded them to hire him (I believe they thought he wouldn't be able to score action - something many here agree with).

I think there is a very good chance that Eon/Universal may ask Boyle to get a more palatable studio-approved name. Boyle bent to studio will and hired a new composer on Steve Jobs. This is where someone like Daniel Pemberton comes in.

However, I do suspect that Eon will let Boyle free in the music department.

Cinematographer:

Anthony Dod Mantle feels like the natural heir to continue the streak of great-looking Bond films.

Production Designer:

I know for a fact that Eon loves Dennis Gassner. If you listen to Barbara's commentary on the SF blu-ray with Gassner, you can hear the affection. I think they want Gassner to return. But if they want to go Full Boyle (which I think is the plan), they will let him hire his own production designer.

Mark Tildesley has this gig in the bag.

Editor:

Easy. Jon Harris. Next.

Costume Designer:

It's a tight race between Suttirat Anne Larlarb and Rachael Fleming.

Opening Credits Designer:

Here's one you missed. I hope that Boyle sees the light and fires Daniel Kleinman. He did great work with SF but SP was a career nadir. It was so embarrassing and bereft of ideas. Personally, I think there may be an outside chance that Boyle shoots the credit himself, as a lot of the effects can be done in camera.

However, I think Boyle will source this out to his regular effects house. Boyle has worked with Union VFX on 4 projects. I think they will handle the sequence, bit like MK12 did on QOS.

http://www.unionvfx.com/work/
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 1,965
    I dont see Boyle or Eon getting rid of Kleinman for the opening credits. They tried someone different with QOS and it sucked BIG TIME. It wasn't the same as a Kleinman credits scene. I think they will hold onto him until he retires.
    I don't know if I like the idea of replacing Kleinman. He's a total master and the last time they left it in the hands of another team it was a poor effort, IMO.
    @Pierce2Daniel

Writer: If Purvis & Wade won't end up polishing Hodge's script, I seriously doubt they will get credited. Everyting points towards Purvis & Wade's script from last year being completely out the window. Yes, WGA regulations are strict, but if absoluterly none of P&W's scipt is used by Hodge, they will not get a credit.

Composer: I seriously hope you are right.

Costume Designer: I believe Rachael Fleming is a far less likely candidate than Suttirat Anne Larlarb. She has only done 4 movies in the past 18 years, and the only movie she did with Boyle this century is T2 Trainspotting. Larlarb on the other hand has done 5 movies with Boyle in the past 11 years.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    JET007 wrote: »

Lord, no. That watch is ghastly.

doubleoego wrote: »

Lord, no. That watch is ghastly.

Just googled it, and I have to agree.
    Yes, I don't see Eon relinquishing creative control again like they did before. I think if Eon decide that they want Daniel Pemberton to do the score for B25, he'll be doing the score. Same goes for Kleinman. I'm not saying that Eon might not be persuaded to tryout A.R. Rahman for the music, but if their minds are set on a certain composer for the movie, I think it's highly unlikely that they'll make a concession just to massage a director's ego. I think if Christian Colson was producer of B25 with Boyle co-producing then these suggestions might have some merit, but it's still a Broccoli/Wilson production as far as I know. Besides, if Daniel Kleinman was perfectly adequate for prima donna Mendes, then he'll be equally adequate for Boyle. I also think SP's problem wasn't the title graphics, it was the lousy song that they were set to.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 632
    It took me some getting used to as I'm not a fan of the Pepsi look, but Omega made a big deal of its reveal and Craig was sporting it when he announced his return. Plus, I hear it isn't selling well. They may want it in 25 to give it a push.

[img][/img]RWAo9UT.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What an ugly watch.
    What an ugly watch.

I feel the same about the changes to the new SMP, namely the changed waves and HE valve.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    That watch is a grotesque abomination. I say that as a long time Omega owner.

Regarding the score, I feel the opposite @bondsum. I think the director will indeed have quite a say in who is selected. EON appear to be ceding control to their directors and actors - allowing them to come up with a coherent integrated vision. So whoever Boyle wants, Boyle is likely to get.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's also worth noting that Boyle and Arnold worked on the Olympics video too.
    Well, we have a longish wait to find out who is right and who is wrong @bondjames. No point in arguing about it now. Let's just be patient and find out how much of a Danny Boyle production this turns out to be.
    It looks like a kid's watch - just missing the cartoon character on the face of it.
    Even Robert Langdon's Mickey Mouse watch looks more stylish.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It looks like a kid's watch - just missing the cartoon character on the face of it.

That one looks great.

That one looks great.
    Yes, I've always liked Langdon's watch too.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Bond should go back to the Rolex Submariners.

Omega is no longer attractive enough to find itself on Bond's wrist.
    I'm not a fan of some of the recent Omega revisions, but I still prefer them to any Rolex with a cyclops over the date.
    Bond should go back to the Rolex Submariners.

Omega is no longer attractive enough to find itself on Bond's wrist.
    I'd personally prefer a return to the Submariner as well, but from what I can tell Omega will do whatever they can to retain the contract. I'm not sure if Rolex will be as desperate for the job, sadly.
    I'm not a fan of some of the recent Omega revisions, but I still prefer them to any Rolex with a cyclops over the date.
    I hear you, but it is addictive & very convenient once you get used to it. In a way it put me off other pieces with dates, because I inevitably find them aesthetically too small now.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,293

That one looks great.

Remove Mickey Mouse, and you have a watch I'd like to wear.
    007 on the Commander watch hand - just me, or is that a bit too much too?

That one looks great.

Remove Mickey Mouse, and you have a watch I'd like to wear.
    007 on the Commander watch hand - just me, or is that a bit too much too?
    They tend to do things like that on their Bond commemorative collectible pieces, and I've always found it too much. This is an example of them taking it too far imho, which Rolex never does.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think he should wear swatch ;)