No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    edited June 2018 Posts: 2,721
    No to Blanchett as well. She's done that in kingdom of the crystal skull and latest Thor movie.

If it's to be a female villain then they should cast continental European actress. But they've done the old obvious bait and switch with Sophie Marceau in TWINE. To me it's already played. Time for a new angle. Or just make her the villain from the outset.
    I want to see a flashback to Bonds parents. Mark Strong as Andrew Bond?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If they can write a great villain, I don't care if it's a he or a she. I simply don't want it to be a female villain if the only reason for having her is to appease certain groups obsessed with equality everything.

@LeChiffre, I don't want flashbacks at all but if they would do that, Mark Strong would be a great choice.
    Flashbacks to Bond's father?! What fresh lunacy is this?!
    Guess it's lucky none of us are working for EON!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Maybe a lengthy sequence showing the death of Bond’s parents and Bond living with the Oberhausers?

Or maybe Boyle’s big idea is that that is the whole film and Craig only appears sitting chatting with Major Dexter Smythe, the man Franz hires to top his father?
    Why not a faithful interpretation of Fleming's Quantum of Solace short story as a Harold Pinteresque stage play filmed like Von Trier's Dogville? That should get the Marvel and Mission Impossible fans rolling into the theatres.
    Why not a faithful interpretation of Fleming's Quantum of Solace short story as a Harold Pinteresque stage play filmed like Von Trier's Dogville? That should get the Marvel and Mission Impossible fans rolling into the theatres.
    Kerching! I can almost taste the billion dollars.

Thing is someone on here will no doubt come back and say they think that is a good idea.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,164
    I would be very happy with Carter, she hasn't had a mainstream career hit since finishing up Potter. The two punch of this and The Crown would be very welcome from her.

Also the fact that the Mirror article explicitly mentions Jolie is interesting re: the whole 'is CashleyPersia legit' question. Especially as only a few weeks ago I think Variety mentioned that Cruz turned down a role in this to star in Chastain's 355.

I don't why people have immediately harped on to the whole 'mental illness' thing, that doesn't at all mean it's going to be a dour and introspective film...having this as a character element would make a lot of sense in the current Craig era, Boyle tackled similar stuff in his two Trainspotting films without letting up tone wise. I think a great comparison here to use as an example is Tony Stark (sorry to bring up Marvel again lol), what they've done here with tackling the character's PTSD following the events of the first Avengers film and then using it as the foundation for the big arc which lead to the major films that came down the line from them (Age of Ultron, Civil War and now the Infinity War/its 2019 sequel finale) was rather well done. And putting it together with the other rumours (namely the whole protege aspect) works - would make sense that Bond wouldn't be qualified to be out in the field but being an instructor, training agent/s up, who is then pulled into 'one last mission'...
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,295
    bondjames wrote: »
    Just like so many aspects, such as the GB, that they seem so good at getting wrong it’s not rocket science. Rolex Submariner with the metal strap as worn in LALD - timeless. Or if you must sell out to Omega whatever they have that looks the closest to it.

That's a nice watch right there! No unnecessary details, black watch face - what more do you need? Much the same way I want Bond 25 to be. Just the basics.

I prefer a leather strap myself actually, but that's because I hate the metally clang when placing your hand on a table, etc. Tried a GF styled fabric strap on my watch (a cheap Timex) but could never get used to it.
    LALD inspired me to save up for one and I couldn't be happier. It's quite timeless and I hope they go back to it one day. The last time we saw it was in LTK, when Tim prominently sported the latest model at the time.

Regarding the NATO, I'm not a fan of it either. A bit too utilitarian for Bond imho. At least Sean wore it when he was doing some diving and actually getting down and dirty, which is what that strap was originally intended for as it came out of the British military.

You own one? That must be something to wear with pride! My budget only goes as far as Timex watches, but maybe one day… Is it a vintage one, as well?

Yeah, you can understand the usage in GF, but it's not something you'd probably want when getting one yourself - unless you're totally into that specific utilitarian look. Also, as @JET007 writes - the NATO straps might feel right during summer or in humid climates.
    Yes I do have one. I purchased it secondhand a few years back. Lovely piece and well worth saving up for. I have the same style that Tim wore in LTK (with the polarizing cyclops), which had a production run from 1989 to around 2010. Mine is a 2009, so reasonably common and contemporary. They really haven't changed too much design wise over the years. Mostly minor alterations. There a few older iterations that are worth a heck of a lot of money these days.

RE: the Nato, I would have preferred if they had Craig wear that strap when he was actually doing something or in casual gear and then switch to the metal bracelet (which also comes with that watch) in the scenes when he was wearing a suit. The original NATO style strap is designed to wick moisture away from the body.

Secondhand is probably the way to go, if buying one! Would be living in constant fear of breaking or losing the watch, though…

I haven't really bothered to see if he has, but has Craig Bond ever worn an Omega with a NATO strap in the films? Wouldn't be against him sporting a casual watch strap if diving or similar, like Connery in GF.
    The Submariner only appreciates, so even though the price of entry is quite high, it's a sound investment, unlike a car for instance.

Tell me about it! Just had my car in for a service, and that wasn't cheap!
    RE: Craig - yes he wore his Omega Seamaster 300 on a NATO throughout SP. It's most noticeable when he's given it by Q and also when he removes it during the torture sequence. I would have preferred if he had it on a metal bracelet in a few sequences in the film, like when he was suited up.

Hadn't even noticed he wore a NATO strap in SP. Then again, I had other issues to notice when watching that film… Interesting to have the NATO strap back though - even if a metal bracelet would have been preferable in most scenes. Hope Omega have a nice watch for Bond to wear in Bond 25. If not, then a Seamaster 300 would do.
    antovolk wrote: »
    I would be very happy with Carter, she hasn't had a mainstream career hit since finishing up Potter. The two punch of this and The Crown would be very welcome from her.

Also the fact that the Mirror article explicitly mentions Jolie is interesting re: the whole 'is CashleyPersia legit' question. Especially as only a few weeks ago I think Variety mentioned that Cruz turned down a role in this to star in Chastain's 355.

I don't why people have immediately harped on to the whole 'mental illness' thing, that doesn't at all mean it's going to be a dour and introspective thing...having this as a character element would make a lot of sense in the current Craig era, Boyle tackled similar stuff in his two Trainspotting films without letting up tone wise. I think a great comparison here to use as an example is Tony Stark (sorry to bring up Marvel again lol), what they've done here with tackling the character's PTSD following the events of the first Avengers film and then using it as the foundation for the big arc which lead to the major films that came down the line from them (Age of Ultron, Civil War and now the Infinity War/its 2019 sequel finale) was rather well done.

Didn't Fleming's Bond suffer depression in YOLT after Tracy died? I seem to recall him being a full-blown alcoholic, who sat on park benches and drinking whiskey at 10:00am. There's even a scene where M is considering sending Bond to a psychologist.

I like the idea of Bond suffering from mental illness. There is a considerable conversation occurring about men's mental health and having someone like 07 suffer from anxiety/depression would be an interesting and brave move. Bravo Danny Boyle (if it's true).

Also, I watched The Program last night, which is written by John Hodge AND stars a cameo from Michael G Wilson! So at least Wilson can guarantee Hodge will write him a part.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117
    I don't why people have immediately harped on to the whole 'mental illness' thing, that doesn't at all mean it's going to be a dour and introspective film...having this as a character element would make a lot of sense in the current Craig era, Boyle tackled similar stuff in his two Trainspotting films without letting up tone wise. I think a great comparison here to use as an example is Tony Stark (sorry to bring up Marvel again lol), what they've done here with tackling the character's PTSD following the events of the first Avengers film and then using it as the foundation for the big arc which lead to the major films that came down the line from them (Age of Ultron, Civil War and now the Infinity War/its 2019 sequel finale) was rather well done. And putting it together with the other rumours (namely the whole protege aspect) works - would make sense that Bond wouldn't be qualified to be out in the field but being an instructor, training agent/s up, who is then pulled into 'one last mission'...
    How does this 'work'?

Even ignoring the unremitting crapness of the protege idea for a minute, in most jobs if someone was beset with mental illness they wouldn't be tasked with training someone but in a job where national security and people's lives are on the line they would? Terrible on pretty much every level.

Just copying Marvel isn't the solution to everything you do realise?

I don't why people have immediately harped on to the whole 'mental illness' thing, that doesn't at all mean it's going to be a dour and introspective thing...having this as a character element would make a lot of sense in the current Craig era, Boyle tackled similar stuff in his two Trainspotting films without letting up tone wise. I think a great comparison here to use as an example is Tony Stark (sorry to bring up Marvel again lol), what they've done here with tackling the character's PTSD following the events of the first Avengers film and then using it as the foundation for the big arc which lead to the major films that came down the line from them (Age of Ultron, Civil War and now the Infinity War/its 2019 sequel finale) was rather well done.

Didn't Fleming's Bond suffer depression in YOLT after Tracy died? I seem to recall him being a full-blown alcoholic, who sat on park benches and drinking whiskey at 10:00am. There's even a scene where M is considering sending Bond to a psychologist.

I like the idea of Bond suffering from mental illness. There is a considerable conversation occurring about men's mental health and having someone like 07 suffer from anxiety/depression would be an interesting and brave move. Bravo Danny Boyle (if it's true).
    Great shout. Bugger #metoo, mental illness in men is the new topical hot potato - let's get it in there with some nice chunks of YOLT and even an appearance from Sir James Molony?

And as for end of DCs tenure keep the ending of YOLT complete and have him living as a Japanese fisherman? Would do for me. The only thing that suggests an adaptation of YOLT is very unlikley is Boyle & Hodge's 'big idea'. It has to be something very different from filming YOLT as I suspect P&W's script probably incorporated elements of that.
    How does this 'work'?

Even ignoring the unremitting crapness of the protege idea for a minute, in most jobs if someone was beset with mental illness they wouldn't be tasked with training someone but in a job where national security and people's lives are on the line they would? Terrible on pretty much every level.

And yet Dench's M still cleared Bond for duty in Skyfall after his 'temporary death' despite not being fit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wasn't suggesting they'd copy Marvel, just using it as an example of top flight blockbusters actually effectively using this. Other examples: literally the two most recent Batman films (in a slightly less obvious way, mind).

Also, I'm struggling to see the issue with the protege idea asides from the 'Bond should always be on his own and nothing should take away from emphasis on him' school of thought.
    edited June 2018 Posts: 9,117
    How does this 'work'?

And yet Dench's M still cleared Bond for duty in Skyfall after his 'temporary death' despite not being fit ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I think it is pretty clearly stated that she made this decision herself going against the reports and medical tests as demonstrated when Tanner says 'I didn't know Bond passed the tests?' and she says 'He didn't'. Bond wasn't fit for duty but she went off piste on a hunch.
    Wasn't suggesting they'd copy Marvel, just using it as an example of top flight blockbusters actually effectively using this. Other examples: literally the two most recent Batman films (in a slightly less obvious way, mind).
    Or instead of watching all this dross for inspiration they could go perhaps go back to Fleming?
    Also, I'm struggling to see the issue with the protege idea asides from the 'Bond should always be on his own and nothing should take away from emphasis on him' school of thought.
    That would certainly be a large part of it but the worst element is I already know how the film ends - Bond cornered by the villain and the protege stepping up to save him a la Domino in TB, probably in a way which refers back to something earlier in the film that she failed but now has to do correctly to succeed kind of like this:

Earlier scene with Bond and the protege doing sniper training (think Leon and Matilda) and Bond admonishes her for missing due to not taking account of the wind speed.

Finale with the protege and Bond separated and she has a sniper rifle while Bond battles the villain below. Bond is beaten and the villain moves in for the kill as the protege lines up the shot, but a glance at a nearby flag shows us that there is a pretty stiff breeze!!!! The suspense! The tension! The drama! And all centred on the protege whilst Bond becomes a peripheral character.

Also what happens to the protege at the end? Do they die because if not the general public would expect to see them in the next film (or worse still take over the 007 number as Bond retires) and before you know it we're into Batman & Robin territory.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Also, I watched The Program last night, which is written by John Hodge AND stars a cameo from Michael G Wilson! So at least Wilson can guarantee Hodge will write him a part.

Bond definitely suffers from depression. In the first chapter of Goldfinger he gets drunk and reflects on his life and the fact he hates killing people (a subject Fleming touches upon in several books of his, such as The Living Daylights).

The thing is, translating that to the screen is not easy at all. Bond's depression and hard life should not be a pivot point of the movie, but rather be subtly hinted at here and there in Bond's actions (shown, not told). I think a good example of this is the beach scene from GoldenEye, with Bond contemplating the fact he's going to kill a former friend of his, or the dinner scene in TMWTGG, when Bond tells Goodnight "in our profession, you never can count on that moment to come".
    How does this 'work'?

I think it is pretty clearly stated that she made this decision herself going against the reports and medical tests as demonstrated when Tanner says 'I didn't know Bond passed the tests?' and she says 'He didn't'. Bond wasn't fit for duty but she went off piste on a hunch.
    Or instead of watching all this dross for inspiration they could go perhaps go back to Fleming?
    That would certainly be a large part of it but the worst element is I already know how the film ends - Bond cornered by the villain and the protege stepping up to save him a la Domino in TB, probably in a way which refers back to something earlier in the film that she failed but now has to do correctly to succeed kind of like this:

Earlier scene with Bond and the protege are doing sniper training (think Leon and Matilda) and Bond admonishes her for missing due not taking account of the wind speed.

Finale with the protege and Bond separated and she has a sniper rifle while Bond battles the villain below. Bond is beaten and the villain moves in for the kill as the protege lines up the shot, but a glance at a nearby flag shows us that there is a pretty stiff breeze!!!! The suspense! The tension! The drama! And all centred on the protege whilst Bond becomes a peripheral character.

Also what happens to the protege at the end? Do they die because if not the general public would expect to see them in the next film (or worse still take over the 007 number as Bond retires) and before you know it we're into Batman & Robin territory.

Jeeeez - SPOILERS!!!
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 3,164

Earlier scene with Bond and the protege are doing sniper training (think Leon and Matilda) and Bond admonishes her for missing due not taking account of the wind speed.

Well yeah, I know this. And what's not to say that Fiennes' M wouldn't do something similar to let him train someone, or say flat out no to field work to Bond due to his issues and instead relegating him to training up agents?

As others right on this thread have said, Fleming does establish Bond having mental health issues a bit and re: 'dross', as if Bond isn't seen as 'dross' by others and, as I already said earlier, Bond is absolutely cut from the same sort of cloth, with the only difference being explicitly the 'spy' genre and lack of superpowers/overt sci-fi elements. Stop pretending Bond is somehow above this. Could even make the argument that most of the recent such 'dross' has proven to be far less formulaic and more original than some people want B25 to be...

I'm sure Boyle, if this protege element is true, would know about this trope and even if he decides to play that straight, is taking attention away from Bond for *one* moment really a problem? Didn't we literally have an incredibly similar moment with Madeleine in SPECTRE during the Hinx train fight? As for the 'what happens at the end point', if you explicitly make it clear that this film/story is the end to the Craig era, the audience will be fine. Did anyone seriously expect Joseph Gordon Levitt's 'Robin' character in The Dark Knight Rises, the ending which does set him up as Batman's successor, to return when they make a bunch of other Batman movies after Nolan is done? At least gotta give the so-called 'glut' of comic book movies this, smartening the audiences up when it comes to continuity, reboots, recasts etc etc...
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 17,295
    The idea of Bond with serious mental issues and/or a protégé makes me…Well, I'll let Jim describe what that makes me feel like:
    giphy.gif
    If they go down this route, they are very much trying to suck out the very last bit of fun with the movies. The whole "broken Bond" bit in SF was taking it far enough for my taste.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Benny wrote: »
    Tilda Swinton I just can't stand. I've never liked her in anything. I hope she gets no where near a Bond film.
    I recommend Michael Clayton which may convince you about her ability to play a decent villain. She was excellent as a deeply conflicted and ambitious corporate type in that film.
    Murdock wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Drop the big names, they just suck the budget. Find fitting actors and make a thrilling film. Isn't that what CR did so successfully?

Bingo.

Seconded.
    +3. Someone put these people in a room and ask them to view FRWL, DN & CR on a loop for a few days please.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    If they can write a great villain, I don't care if it's a he or a she. I simply don't want it to be a female villain if the only reason for having her is to appease certain groups obsessed with equality everything.
    Agreed. Hopefully Babs has the balls to push back against any pressure on this front, and even her own worst instincts.
    Flashbacks to Bond's father?! What fresh lunacy is this?!
    Maybe a lengthy sequence showing the death of Bond’s parents and Bond living with the Oberhausers?

Or maybe Boyle’s big idea is that that is the whole film and Craig only appears sitting chatting with Major Dexter Smythe, the man Franz hires to top his father?
    Don't give them any ideas!
    The problem, imho, with this whole mental affliction angle is it's a bit cliched. Moreover, we've been hearing for the better part of a year about how Babs and Craig were enamoured with Logan, and how that film may have even been instrumental in persuading him to return when he was prevaricating. So this is all just a tad predictable. As you said, RDJ already did this brilliantly in the (underrated imho) Iron Man 3. The protege angle has the stench of #MeToo pandering and spin off written all over it as well. I can only hope that Danny Boyle's big 'golden' idea which caused everyone to wet themselves and drop everything is a bit more than this.
    Oh dear. Not sure how to respond to this.

EDIT: At this rate, by B26 Bond will be an avowed Incel.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond 25:

Old man Bond is on his chicken farm, telling his grandchildren about his experiences while serving Her Majesty.

We then get several episodic tales from the classics, such as GF, DAF, LALD, MR and what have you. Maybe Bond even spreads it on a little thick.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Bond 25:

Old man Bond is on his chicken farm, telling his grandchildren about his experiences while serving Her Majesty.

We then get several episodic tales from the classics, such as GF, DAF, LALD, MR and what have you. Maybe Bond even spreads it on a little thick.
    Don't forget that one time he para-surfs on the glacier.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Bond 25:

Don't forget that one time he para-surfs on the glacier.
    That will be enough to drive anyone to depression! Pierce still loses it whenever it's brought up.
    Low budget, 15 rated, no humour. I don't want a film suitable for 12 year olds! Not too keen on the idea of a female villain. Bond needs a physical threat.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA

I actually reached out and asked David Arnold if he was involved in Twitter glad to see this little tease right here
  • re: Scooby Gang. I admit the discussion influenced this post. But if you read it, you'll note Phil Nobile Jr. referred to the term in a tweet.

https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/06/rise-of-the-scooby-gang-in-007-films/

Since that post, I have discovered the Scooby-Doo character characters were based on the Dobie Gillis television show. That was similar to how Hanna-Barbera based the characters in The Flintstones on The Honeymooners.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I still say it began here. I started using the phrase on these boards upon the release of SP, two and half years before that tweet. So this is where he picked it up, or at least through some chain that leads back to here. I guess it is possible that he came up with the idea independently (it's not a great stretch to think of the Scooby Gang after seeing those fools driving around in that van in SP), but I doubt it.

Wouldn't disagree.
    The mental and depression thing has been done in SF, so why would they do it again?
    Personally I'm not remotely interested in seeing a depressed, negative mental Bond.
    I just want to see him be the coolest man alive.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Personally I'm not remotely interested in seeing a depressed, negative mental Bond.
    I just want to see him be the coolest man alive.
    What I’ve been saying for years.
  • edited June 2018 Posts: 1,883
    I didn't mind some of the personal things in Bond films until they became a regular, overwhelming part of the series. Moore's little asides when losing a colleague like Vijay or anger at Orlov or Zorin said volumes, probably because they were apart from the norm. That worked stronger than a cheap thruway joke or line forced into the more recent films.

Some of us want to go to Bond films to escape things in the real world. Is that such a bad thing or a necessity of the world we're now living in?