No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    TR007 wrote: »
    These rumours are very disheartening. This sort of plot sounds like it would be best suited to Mission Impossible or 24. Not Bond.
    Agreed, especially considering Mission: Impossible already ran with this same plot idea of Ethan recruiting and mentoring a younger female agent.
    Yes, but that was only a story element to lure Ethan out and back into the game. It doesn't seem to be the case with the next Bond film at all. The "real protagonist" will be that female agent, and Bond the Logan-type figure.
    But if the series wants to distance itself from M:I, they shouldn't be using old plot devices that M:I has already used. It's why I hope it's mere rumor, as it's a bit ridiculous if this was the golden idea Boyle had.
    They're using The Last Jedi and Mad Max: Fury Road as plot devices, mate. ;)
    Not sure what you mean by that, but considering M:I and James Bond are two rival action series, on top of how wildly, eerily similar parts of SP and Rogue Nation were, I'd like to avoid the comparisons by having something a bit more fresh.
    What I meant was that they are paving the way in for the female hero and waving the male hero goodbye or putting him aside because of "cultural reasons". Fury Road only used the Mad Max brand name and told Furiosa's story by casting Max aside and making him the tertiary player. The Last Jedi... well... I'll leave that for the Star Wars experts to analyze.
    Can't speak for TLJ as I couldn't even finish it, but it'll be a dark day when the series starts paving the way for a female to become Bond and take the lead. Stepbrothergate would pale in comparison to that.
    My worst fears, mate. My worst fears.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,164
    These rumours are very disheartening. This sort of plot sounds like it would be best suited to Mission Impossible or 24. Not Bond.
    Agreed, especially considering Mission: Impossible already ran with this same plot idea of Ethan recruiting and mentoring a younger female agent.
    Yes, but that was only a story element to lure Ethan out and back into the game. It doesn't seem to be the case with the next Bond film at all. The "real protagonist" will be that female agent, and Bond the Logan-type figure.
    But if the series wants to distance itself from M:I, they shouldn't be using old plot devices that M:I has already used. It's why I hope it's mere rumor, as it's a bit ridiculous if this was the golden idea Boyle had.
    Not sure what you mean by that, but considering M:I and James Bond are two rival action series, on top of how wildly, eerily similar parts of SP and Rogue Nation were, I'd like to avoid the comparisons by having something a bit more fresh.
    What I meant was that they are paving the way in for the female hero and waving the male hero goodbye or putting him aside because of "cultural reasons". Fury Road only used the Mad Max brand name and told Furiosa's story by casting Max aside and making him the tertiary player. The Last Jedi... well... I'll leave that for the Star Wars experts to analyze.

Can't speak for TLJ as I couldn't even finish it, but it'll be a dark day when the series starts paving the way for a female to become Bond and take the lead. Stepbrothergate would pale in comparison to that.

to calm you all down - just because it may or may not be insinuated at the end of B25 (and it makes total sense if it does, given Craig's last and all), doesn't mean it'll be a thing in B26 given that's most certainly gonna be a rebooted continuity when the new actor comes in. Did we get Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Batman in BvS after The Dark Knight Rises? no
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    antovolk wrote: »

to calm you all down - just because it may or may not be insinuated at the end of B25 (and it makes total sense if it does, given Craig's last and all), doesn't mean it'll be a thing in B26 given that's most certainly gonna be a rebooted continuity when the new actor comes in.

I'm totally calm, though it gets a bit irritating that you simply cannot discuss any sort of rumors in this thread (isn't that the entire point of this thread thus far?) without people thinking you've gone off the rails, or are mad or making assumptions that the rumors are fact. We're merely discussing the possibilities, that's all. If the rumors turn out to be totally false and made up, then excellent, no harm done.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think a suicide pact is in order.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Jolie would be a bad idea IMO. I feel she's too big a name to be placed in a Bond film, especially as a Bond villain. I'm pretty sure she isn't going to be the villain in Bond 25.

bondjames wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    she's not a well known enough name but Keeley Hawes would make a great villainess and I think there would be chemistry with Craig.
    She's getting on a bit, but I always felt she would make a decent MP.

I've never heard of her before, so I had to look her up. She looks like she would make a great Moneypenny, as long as she can act.
    As long as it turns out to be an excellent movie, the more traditionalists Bond 25 will piss off, the more I will love it. :))
    edited May 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Jolie would be a bad idea IMO. I feel she's too big a name to be placed in a Bond film, especially as a Bond villain. I'm pretty sure she isn't going to be the villain in Bond 25.

she's not a well known enough name but Keeley Hawes would make a great villainess and I think there would be chemistry with Craig.
    She's getting on a bit, but I always felt she would make a decent MP.

I've never heard of her before, so I had to look her up. She looks like she would make a great Moneypenny, as long as she can act.

I've always endorsed Keeley Hawes as the new Moneypenny. She definitely has that characteristic look about her. Lovely actress. See her in Ashes to Ashes. She also used to voice Lara Croft from mid-to-late 2000s in the video games.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425
    excellent actress. see her in line of duty - awesome
    She was also great in High Rise. Gave her a different variety of a character and outlook.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    She was also great in High Rise. Gave her a different variety of a character and outlook.

Would you recommend that movie then? I was intrigued by it, but I remember the reviews being unanimously, wildly negative, so I figured it might be a misfire not worth the time.
    Would you recommend that movie then? I was intrigued by it, but I remember the reviews being unanimously, wildly negative, so I figured it might be a misfire not worth the time.
    Oh I recommend that one. It's a psychological convolution reflecting on the template of human society overall. Begins with harmony, ends up being chaotic. Something Stanley Kubrick would've directed.
  • RC7RC7
    As long as it turns out to be an excellent movie, the more traditionalists Bond 25 will piss off, the more I will love it. :))

What’s a traditionalist? Soneoneone who rates FRWL, or someone who rates MR? Someone who rates YOLT, or someone who rates LTK? Someone who rates OP, or someone who rates CR?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    giphy.gif

Hello? Is this EON? Are any of these new rumours t-t-true??? Gaaasp!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    RC7 wrote: »

What’s a traditionalist? Soneoneone who rates FRWL, or someone who rates MR? Someone who rates YOLT, or someone who rates LTK? Someone who rates OP, or someone who rates CR?

A better description would be formula-ist.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Zaphod99 from ajb talked with Danny Boyle while shooting near his place:

"Conversation went as follows:

Me. Hi. One question.
    Him. Go on then.
    Me. Bond. Yes or no?
    Him (laughing) we are working on a script at the moment.
    Me. Everyone and his mother knows that, the question is are you doing it?
    Him. I can't really say but it's looking positive.
    Me. What about pre production is there enough time?
    Him. Oh yes,we don't start filming until December.
    Me. Can I take as confirmation?
    Him. Laughes and says nothing more.
    Me. Us Bond nerds are really excited about you doing it, but no more origin story or Bonds dog getting killed and then Bond gets really pissed...blag blah blah...

We then chat a bit about the film he's making here and how lovely it all is. Lighting tests were last night and night shoot is tonight. He was a very personable chap. We spoke about the Theatre that they are using at the end of my Road. Mrs Zaphod is trying to get an interview for her local radio show re the filming.

We then say goodbye and go on separately
    I got a very good vibe from him and he seemed genuinely pleased that the 'Bondiverse' is very positive about his involvement (and he had a bag of chips)"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Oh I recommend that one. It's a psychological convolution reflecting on the template of human society overall. Begins with harmony, ends up being chaotic. Something Stanley Kubrick would've directed.
    Yes, I'd recommend it too. It's quite surreal and is an allegory on current social dysfunction and wealth disparity. Interesting film, but be prepared for some weirdness towards the end. It boasts a superb cast and excellent performances across the board.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Variety are reporting that Craig will earn $25 million for Bond 25.
    You must be joking.
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I am (still) hoping for Craig‘s Thunderball ... and hope B25 won‘t end up as his DAF
    Unrealistic optimism in both cases I'm afraid, at least based on what we've recently heard.
    barryt007 wrote: »

I would get a new actor in for cheaper.

My guess is, the new investors will feel the same way.
    Let's hope so.
    The mentoring part? I'm in. I'm sure a lot of others will be also. Hasn't been done in a Bond movie, and of course the implication that said mentee would take up the 007 mantle following whatever fate meets Craig's Bond here - it's a logical move for a film that's supposedly written as 'Craig's equivalent of Logan'. Best thing about this - it's a twist on the usual 'co-lead Bond girl' by not making her be a traditional Bond girl/love interest at all.

I think what this comes down to is - if true, those moves are almost certainly to attract wider audiences, not the core core Bond fans. Bond isn't like Star Wars, Marvel and the like where more the casual audiences follow the story, the lore so closely as much as the core fans do. And I think - particularly with how Bond is viewed today in the current climate, which these moves (if true) are trying to adapt to - it's time to kinda move on from the expectations of tradition in every single way and let the franchise evolve.
    I'm afraid I can't agree with this. If this is indeed their current and future intention, then why even continue with Bond at all?

At the end of the day the character as written is increasingly an anomaly and I contend that this is part of his appeal these days.

There really is no need to pander in order to draw in a larger audience. I think the audience is smarter than the bean counters and focus group people give them credit for. Just give them a tight, tense, coherent story with some glamour and style and they'll be on board, even if he's up to his usual bad behaviour. The market can absorb an anti-hero or a politically incorrect one (witness Deadpool). A bit of balls and belief in the character is all that's required.
    Mendes4Lyfe and the other pessimists are proved wrong once again. Everything is still pointing towards a December filming start.

I agree that it's worth a watch and it definitely has a Kubrickian vibe but it's not a great movie.
    should pay for a few nappies
    ggl007 wrote: »

Me. Hi. One question.
    Him. Go on then.
    Me. Bond. Yes or no?
    Me. Us Bond nerds are really excited about you doing it, but no more origin story or Bonds dog getting killed and then Bond gets really pissed...blag blah blah...

We then chat a bit about the film he's making here and how lovely it all is. Lighting tests were last night and night shoot is tonight. He was a very personable chap. We spoke about the Theatre that they are using at the end of my Road. Mrs Zaphod is trying to get an interview for her local radio show re the filming.

I got a very good vibe from him and he seemed genuinely pleased that the 'Bondiverse' is very positive about his involvement (and he had a bag of chips)"

Obviously not interesting enough to quote even once. Probably too positive
    Yes, I'd recommend it too. It's quite surreal and is an allegory on current social dysfunction and wealth disparity. Interesting film, but be prepared for some weirdness towards the end. It boasts a superb cast and excellent performances across the board.
    You must be joking.
    I am (still) hoping for Craig‘s Thunderball ... and hope B25 won‘t end up as his DAF
    Unrealistic optimism in both cases I'm afraid, at least based on what we've recently heard.

Let's hope so.
    The mentoring part? I'm in. I'm sure a lot of others will be also. Hasn't been done in a Bond movie, and of course the implication that said mentee would take up the 007 mantle following whatever fate meets Craig's Bond here - it's a logical move for a film that's supposedly written as 'Craig's equivalent of Logan'. Best thing about this - it's a twist on the usual 'co-lead Bond girl' by not making her be a traditional Bond girl/love interest at all.

I think what this comes down to is - if true, those moves are almost certainly to attract wider audiences, not the core core Bond fans. Bond isn't like Star Wars, Marvel and the like where more the casual audiences follow the story, the lore so closely as much as the core fans do. And I think - particularly with how Bond is viewed today in the current climate, which these moves (if true) are trying to adapt to - it's time to kinda move on from the expectations of tradition in every single way and let the franchise evolve.
    I'm afraid I can't agree with this. If this is indeed their current and future intention, then why even continue with Bond at all?

At the end of the day the character as written is increasingly an anomaly and I contend that this is part of his appeal these days.

There really is no need to pander in order to draw in a larger audience. I think the audience is smarter than the bean counters and focus group people give them credit for. Just give them a tight, tense, coherent story with some glamour and style and they'll be on board, even if he's up to his usual bad behaviour. The market can absorb an anti-hero or a politically incorrect one (witness Deadpool). A bit of balls and belief in the character is all that's required.

As I say in a later post, just because they insinuate it in B25, doesn't mean they will continue with it in B26. I think everyone at this point is expecting B26 to be a continuity reboot, especially with this film being Craig's Logan. Going back to the example of JGL's character in The Dark Knight Rises and then Ben Affleck in Batman v Superman/Justice League.

And this isn't pandering to 'dumber' general audiences. General audiences are smart. But they are these days expecting a bit more than 'a tight, tense, coherent story with some glamour and style'. That's kind of why SPECTRE didn't fare as well with US critics compared to European ones - they expected more subversion akin to CR and SF, while Mendes for the most part just took his toybox back to the Gilbert era and threw the brother and the shared universe twists in as addition. If anything that's the irony with Bond, the GA are expecting smarter twists and turns and adaptations to the current climate, while the die-hards want tradition. Is anyone in the GA asking McQuarrie and the M:I team to follow the formula of the original TV show? Aside from some elements like the lit fuse and the title theme - much like the Bond theme and the gunbarrel here - no!

And as for the 'bad behaviour', herein is the crux. Bond isn't presented as an anti-hero unlike someone like Deadpool so obviously is. He is still presented as the standard to live up to, something which is reinforced in all the advertising and merchandising/licensing. So therefore, with the current climate, as much as people want to dismiss it for being PC, Bond's 'bad behaviour' will be a huge elephant in the room. Which is why Boyle (apparently) addressing it this way with both a female villain and a Bond girl who's an agent protegee without any traditional romantic links, is smart.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil

Me. Hi. One question.
    Him. Go on then.
    Me. Bond. Yes or no?

The best news I had recently.

You can’t imagine what a relief it is for me, that I don’t buy ANY of all the rumors. Including Boyle and whatever.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2018 Posts: 5,979
    And as for the 'bad behaviour', herein is the crux. Bond isn't presented as an anti-hero unlike someone like Deadpool so obviously is. He is still presented as the standard to live up to, something which is reinforced in all the advertising and merchandising/licensing. So therefore, with the current climate, as much as people want to dismiss it for being PC, Bond's 'bad behaviour' will be a huge elephant in the room. Which is why Boyle (apparently) addressing it this way with both a female villain and a Bond girl who's an agent protegee without any traditional romantic links, is smart.

What bad behavior? I know some take Craig's Bond to task for Severine (I don't because it sure looks like she consents) but any supposed "bad behavior" in the Craig era pales in comparison to Bond hitting Tania, or Dink, or Tracy--or for that matter, the Moore jokes in TSWLM or OP.
    should pay for a few nappies

Post of the day.

I´d do it for a Million per year. And I wouldn´t even insist on doing my own stunts.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    You must be joking.

Let's hope so.

As I say in a later post, just because they insinuate it in B25, doesn't mean they will continue with it in B26. I think everyone at this point is expecting B26 to be a continuity reboot, especially with this film being Craig's Logan. Going back to the example of JGL's character in The Dark Knight Rises and then Ben Affleck in Batman v Superman/Justice League.
    Fair enough. That is possible, and certainly from my perspective, highly desirable.
    And this isn't pandering to 'dumber' general audiences. General audiences are smart. But they are these days expecting a bit more than 'a tight, tense, coherent story with some glamour and style'. That's kind of why SPECTRE didn't fare as well with US critics compared to European ones - they expected more subversion akin to CR and SF, while Mendes for the most part just took his toybox back to the Gilbert era and threw the brother and the shared universe twists in as addition. If anything that's the irony with Bond, the GA are expecting smarter twists and turns and adaptations to the current climate, while the die-hards want tradition. Is anyone in the GA asking McQuarrie and the M:I team to follow the formula of the original TV show? Aside from some elements like the lit fuse and the title theme - much like the Bond theme and the gunbarrel here - no!
    I disagree with you as to why SP was a critical failure stateside. In my view it was a failure of execution and not premise. Mendes and Craig thought they were giving us TSWLM or TB, and instead they ended up with something akin to TND imho (and I'm being generous). Very expensive amateur hour.

It's certainly possible to deliver 'smarter twists and turns' and I'm all for that. I'm all for some subversion as well. I was quite satisfied with SF for instance. So I'm not calling for 'formula', and in fact don't think that can work with this current actor who has proven without a shadow of a doubt to me that he is incapable of working within that framework.

Rather, I'm saying that there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater in order to accommodate current sensibilities. Any suggestion of this so called 'mentee' taking over from Bond or comparisons to Logan (a film I thought very poorly of by the way) are what concern me.
    It's actually as expected. Some of us here had anticipated a female villain and/or a female agent love interest well before these recent rumours started percolating. We just didn't anticipate it in the same film.

I don't have a problem with either premise. Again, it comes down to execution and it comes down to retaining the essential characteristics of Bond within the framework of what they are doing. That takes finesse and a delicate touch. It's not necessary to emasculate him in order to make him palatable to Hollywood. I only hope that this team realizes that, and doesn't see fit to aggressively reshape the character further.

Regarding Bond as a role model: I'm not sure if that's a reasonable expectation to be honest. After all, the man has a license to kill and if we take him literally, a lot of what he gets up to isn't acceptable. Yes, I agree that this is how they choose to market him, but still contend that he can be a 'bad boy' (as opposed to a wuss) while being popular. Put another way, he doesn't have to literally embody Smith's song (lyrics as well as delivery).

We shall see what happens and how this plays. The one advantage we have here is that they are still playing in a 2006 rebooted self contained sandbox. So they can do whatever the heck they want here and will still have freedom to get back to something a bit more interesting once this is over and done with.
    The general 'bad behaviour' associated with the character and tropes like the 'Bond girls'. Mendes already made a big deal of calling Seydoux, Bellucci and Sigman 'Bond ladies' to try move away from that.

EDIT meant to tag @echo
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Me. Hi. One question.
    Him. Go on then.
    Me. Bond. Yes or no?

I like that he used the opportunity to say “no more origin story” and took a jab at all the personal/revenge bs. I’m also very pleased to hear that things appear to be on schedule.
    Wait - is that serious? Real conversation?