No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Perhaps Boyle s movie gold idea is an origin story for Irma Bunt.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 4,619
    pachazo wrote: »
    A female understudy and a female villain seems a bit overkill, no?
    I don't think so. The single most interesting thing about Bond has always been his relationship with women.
    I don't think so. The single most interesting thing about Bond has always been his relationship with women.

This.
    I'm really hoping Boyle's "pure movie gold" idea is
    a prequel to Skyfall explaining how Bond ended up buying a Zara YOUTH shirt.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice

Either dynamic could prove to be captivating, yes, but both just seems to be a bit on the nose in my opinion. I'm open minded yet cautious at the same time.
    I could be wrong, but I have good vibes about these rumors. If they’re true and the execution is done well, I believe we could be in for a treat. I’m 99.99% sure whatever they’re cooking up is better than the original script...
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    All of it sounds very interesting and Angelina Jolie would be brilliant casting as the villain!
    RC7 wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I feel that frustration. I think we all do. The wait on this one has been the hardest in my time being a Bond fan. Whatever flaws may come with this, I think having a female villain (hopefully a great character/motivation) could well be worth it considering the lack of that in the Craig era. You can be sure if we got what P&W were writing, we’d just see Blofeld, Maddy, and the other usual stuff again that everyone complained about with SP.

I’m not sure many (if any) fans are averse to a female villain, why would they be? I think it’s the talk of an understudy, female or male, that sounds particularly unappealing.

I tend to think most fans would just very much like a final Craig film that doesn’t attempt any trite narrative gimmicks. A Maibaum style caper, with an exhilarating and engaging plot seems like the sort of film they should be attempting imo. Something very no nonsense.

It feels quite shocking, but I agree with every word of yours.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Whatever they do, I think they will have to watch tone and balance on the next one.

I know some were comfortable with Craig spouting the one liners and attempting nonchalance, but it rang hollow for me and this is where I foresee a risk.

Lines like "circle of life" in SF, "Of course, Mr. White!" & " Oh No!!" in SP just didn't work for me, and particularly in the context of this sort of film. Hemsworth can pull that sort of thing off very easily, but I'm less confident Craig can.

So frankly, it's the lighter tone which concerns me. I hope they handle it very deftly & ensure it comes across genuine, even if that means several takes to get it just right.
    I am particularly worried about one possible plot twist for these rumors...
    That the understudy is actually the child of Bond and the main villain...
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Jolie was very good in Maleficent.

I didn't notice, I was distracted by how bad the movie was.
    I feel that frustration. I think we all do. The wait on this one has been the hardest in my time being a Bond fan. Whatever flaws may come with this, I think having a female villain (hopefully a great character/motivation) could well be worth it considering the lack of that in the Craig era. You can be sure if we got what P&W were writing, we’d just see Blofeld, Maddy, and the other usual stuff again that everyone complained about with SP.

I'd rather have those than Bond's understudy, the Logan-template and Jolie as the villain.
    What a completely s*** idea. They're off their rocker if they even contemplate something like that! Best to ditch that immediately imho.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 12,274
    Walecs wrote: »
    Jolie was very good in Maleficent.

I didn't notice, I was distracted by how bad the movie was.

I'd rather have those than Bond's understudy, the Logan-template and Jolie as the villain.

I’ll gladly disagree here. I’d rather take a chance on something new with the possibility of it being better or worse over guaranteed mediocrity.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,425

yikes. is this Boyles 'cinema gold' idea?

nooooooooo!

now you've put it out there I can't dismiss it. after brothergate anything is possible
    Hopefully I didn’t just predict it! Hope hard... haha
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond s "Short Round" will be torn between her mother and father. What movie gold! Sam Mendes, eat your heart out!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Under different circumstances, I would be all for Lily James in a Bond film. But this is laughable. I though that there was no more drama to be wrung out from the Craig era, I was wrong. And this isn't my Craig bias speaking. If it were Dalton c.1987 and Jena Malone as the younger agent, I would still think that EON need to tighten the leash they don't seem to have Boyle on. Just because something hasn't been tried before, doesn't been that it should be tried now.
    Whats so wrong with a young agent? I truly dont get the stress.
    It could be as simple as another Pam character, minus the romance. And of course hopefully my plot twist guess is wrong...
    Still, for me at least, any of this beats the idea of seeing Bond marry Madeleine and a whole OHMSS repeat commence. That’s what I was most worried about.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Whats so wrong with a young agent? I truly dont get the stress.
    You are not the only one. We are talking about an approximately 30 year old female agent. Bond is not going to have a teenage girl sidekick. What's wrong with Bond having a young adult woman "understudy"?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want a James Bond movie, not James Bond and junior agent. Leave that to Mission Impossible.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want a James Bond movie, not James Bond and junior agent. Leave that to Mission Impossible.

Agreed. Bond should work on his own.
    Because this is akin to about 1 million detective/buddy shows/movies. The thought alone makes me throw up
    I wonder if they feel compelled to go down this path to appeal to a youth or younger market, given Craig's age. If so, this is a convoluted method to address the problem imho.

Anyway, I'd imagine this 'agent' is in her 20's surely. Not 30's, at which point one should be fully qualified.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

Agreed but I wouldn't mind a film where he works with Leiter for most of the film. Craig and Wright are awesome together.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    A Bond and Felix movie I can get behind.
    I'd rather not see that either. A bit too buddy buddy.

I suppose if this understudy thing is done in the vein of and with the humour in DH3 then I'd be ok. Willis/Jackson were great in that one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Remington wrote: »

Agreed but I wouldn't mind a film where he works with Leiter for most of the film. Craig and Wright are awesome together.

I'd love to see something like that, only with a bit more friendliness and camaraderie - there's too much tension and hostility between the two (that's how I perceive it, anyway) in his two recent appearances.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'd rather not see that either. A bit too buddy buddy.

I suppose if this understudy thing is done in the vein of and with the humour in DH3 then I'd be ok. Willis/Jackson were great in that one.

Yeah I thought that myself. Unfortunately, I'm sure EON would go down that route.