No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

I'm cool with the understudy idea. It remains to be seen how they'll handle it but at this stage, "I have no objection." I am curious about if and how it will affect Moneypenny's role in the film. If the relationship between Bond and the apprentice remains "strictly plutonic" (and I hope it doesn't), at the very least it will likely involve plenty of flirting. I mean, it's Bond and a member of the opposite sex. So I think Moneypenny, who has traditionally fulfilled that role, may feel a bit superfluous this time around. (Good?)

At any rate, I'm more interested in the tone of the film and the presence of familiar Bond elements (a feeling of opulence, most importantly). It's good to hear the movie will supposedly have a lighter tone. It may wind up having its fair share of serious character moments but that doesn't mean it'll have to be a completely serious affair. The relationship with the apprentice could offer some good lighthearted banter. I know others will think Craig isn't suited for that but I think he can pull it off when he approaches in a sarcastic, mildly annoyed style. With any luck we could get a return to the Bond/Vesper interplay from CR.

Angelina Jolie should put on weight but she has the potential to be a great Bond girl. Her presence and looks are distinctive. She doesn't feel like "everybody else." She has an aura about her and the film could put it to great use. I think she and Craig would work very well together.

I don't like hearing the film may be primarily UK based. That's played out.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I'm cool with the understudy idea. It remains to be seen how they'll handle it but at this stage, "I have no objection." I am curious about if and how it will affect Moneypenny's role in the film. If the relationship between Bond and the apprentice remains "strictly plutonic" (and I hope it doesn't), at the very least it will likely involve plenty of flirting. I mean, it's Bond and a member of the opposite sex. So I think Moneypenny, who has traditionally fulfilled that role, may feel a bit superfluous this time around. (Good?)
    Agreed. I was reasonably convinced that Harris wasn't going to be in the next film and your theory seems plausible. Thank goodness!
    At any rate, I'm more interested in the tone of the film and the presence of familiar Bond elements (a feeling of opulence, most importantly). It's good to hear the movie will supposedly have a lighter tone. It may wind up having its fair share of serious character moments but that doesn't mean it'll have to be a completely serious affair. The relationship with the apprentice could offer some good lighthearted banter. I know others will think Craig isn't suited for that but I think he can pull it off when he approaches in a sarcastic, mildly annoyed style. With any luck we could get a return to the Bond/Vesper interplay from CR.
    I don't think I can ever appreciate him pulling the humour again after his attempts in the last film, but if it's really written well I may be able to be convinced. It has to exceptionally well written though.
    Angelina Jolie should put on weight but she has the potential to be a great Bond girl. Her presence and looks are distinctive. She doesn't feel like "everybody else." She has an aura about her and the film could put it to great use. I think she and Craig would work very well together.
    I'm inclined to agree. She has potential and she is distinctive looking. I agree on the weight thing too. I googled her after learning about these rumours to see what she looks like now. Not bad, but severely undernourished imho.
    I don't like hearing the film may be primarily UK based. That's played out.
    That's an understatement. Couldn't agree more.
    FYEO may be the best film for Bond 25 to draw inspiration from.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly hope not.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands

I wholeheartedly agree.
    Jeffrey wrote: »

I wholeheartedly agree.

+1!
    3-1 and counting :P
    Am I the only one who is hoping that the Boyle & Hodge duo will replicate this brilliant moment from Trainspotting 2 with Bond replacing Robert Carlyle's character Begbie? :))
    jake24 wrote: »
    Agreed. I enjoy FYEO very much but we are in a different stage of the game at this moment. After a long 4 year gap a film like that just won't cut it.

Whatever we get, it has to be at least partially transformative imho. The market will demand it. Otherwise, might as well close up shop and go home.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 10,588
    bondjames wrote: »
    Agreed. I enjoy FYEO very much but we are in a different stage of the game at this moment. After a long 4 year gap a film like that just won't cut it.

Whatever we get, it has to be at least partially transformative imho. The market will demand it. Otherwise, might as well close up shop and go home.
    Totally agree. It's the last film of the Craig era, for God's sake.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Well, interesting to ponder. I haven't minded a female villain; thought of that years ago. I always wanted Helen Mirren. :)

Younger agent is fine, female agent is fine with me. Just don't make her far too young. needs to be late 20s not younger looking. Just my feelings on that. Sure, looking at FYEO but I wouldn't mind a women looking older than Carole looked in that one.

Co-lead is always worrying, but I'm taking that as an exaggeration.

None of the women listed are any I care for much, including Jolie who brings a mixed bit of baggage, I think. I'm lukewarm on her. Kate Winslet, okay. Helen (though far older) would still shine. How about Teri Hatcher back as the female villain? So many fans cannot stand her anyway. ;) (just kidding...)

I'd really like some confirmation on the writers asap. Unlike many here, I don't mind P&W having some input; but I want others writing, too. NOT Logan any more, I hope. I do think that so many ideas looking like tired worn out or cliche'd could actually be fine if extremely well written and well acted.

"lighter tone" - really? After so many trashing Spectre for attempting that.

What else? Well, I don't need a psychological "twist" or full of angst story with "surprising" reveals about Bond's childhood. I definitely don't want him having a child.
    Ugh! That was in some early script, wasn't it? (Spectre). Just no.

I do want a solid film, some intrigue, great cast who are believable and not cartoon characters, fantastic music score and theme song, a lovely Bond girl who can act sufficiently well, and ETC. I want Naomie back and Felix (Jeffrey Wright) back also. My usual "wish list". :)

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Remington wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    I want a James Bond movie, not James Bond and junior agent. Leave that to Mission Impossible.

Agreed. Bond should work on his own.

Agreed but I wouldn't mind a film where he works with Leiter for most of the film. Craig and Wright are awesome together.

That would be awesome indeed!
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 1,661
    If Angelina Jolie is the villain, perhaps Brad Pitt should play Sam Leiter - Felix's previously 'never mentioned' brother! This will make no story sense but it's a good enough reason to have divorcees Jolie and Pitt in the film. :P

Exactly, and in my view they need at least a top 10 effort with this one.

After gaps of this nature in the past we had TSWLM, GE, CR and even SF. Something of that quality and cultural significance (as perceived by the general public) is what the market will demand after this wait.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 10,588

After gaps of this nature in the past we had TSWLM, GE, CR and even SF. Something of that quality and cultural significance (as perceived by the general public) is what the market will demand after this wait.
    Quite, though I reckon most Bond fans will want a straightforward, by the numbers affair which probably won't happen (and I'm totally fine with it, as long as they drop the soap opera bulls**t).
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    When cash mentioned dua lipa I wonder if he meant to say that she was top of the list to do the theme song?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I doubt they're already looking at the singer for the theme song, but that's just a guess.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I doubt they're already looking at the singer for the theme song, but that's just a guess.
    Definitely not at this stage. Don't think that will be decided for at least 9 months, provided everything's on schedule for late 2019.
    Definitely not at this stage. Don't think that will be decided for at least 9 months, provided everything's on schedule for late 2019.

It's what made me laugh at the "Ed Sheeran confirmation" articles months and months back, saying he had a song already written for a movie that had absolutely nothing locked in place yet.

Then again, I just can't stand his music and would loathe a theme song done by him.

It's what made me laugh at the "Ed Sheeran confirmation" articles months and months back, saying he had a song already written for a movie that had absolutely nothing locked in place yet.

Then again, I just can't stand his music and would loathe a theme song done by him.
    I wouldn't call him a bad artist, but his music isn't my cup of tea either. I believe he did say that he had written a generic Bond theme, not necessarily something tailored for a specific film.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Angelina as Villain God No
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    Dua Lipa is the most likely choice if eon is going to choose the hottest British pop artist again
    Dua Lipa is the most likely choice if eon is going to choose the hottest British pop artist again
    We'll see how the music environment changes over the next year. The industry evolves at a rapid rate.
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Sam Leiter
    :))

Agreed.
    Jolie isn't a bad actress necessarily, but I just don't see her fitting in the Bond universe. Who knows.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I think Jolie would ham it up in the Bond Universe.
    Their playing with fire for Craig's final film, if there not careful they will slip. I have a feeling their trying to appeal to the masses for this one
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    This literally could all be a fallacy because we STILL know nothing regarding this film. I wish EoN would man up and do the fans some justice by giving a simple statement or something. Is that too much to ask for at this point?
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    This literally could all be a fallacy because we STILL know nothing regarding this film. I wish EoN would man up and do the fans some justice by giving a simple statement or something. Is that too much to ask for at this point?
    If there's still a distribution deal or potential MGM acquisition in play they probably have all signed NDA's. I'm not saying that's the case, but it could explain the radio silence.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    If only it were that simple.