No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• RC7RC7
    No matter what happens from now on, with Hodge writing and Boyle directing, a lot of fans will HATE Bond 25. Mark my words, this will be the least tradational Bond movie yet.

I’ve no problem with a non-traditional Bond film, as long as the DNA is left intact, otherwise there’s no point. Just make a different film. Making a Bond film that deliberately attempts to be different is easy. Making a Bond that retains the essence of the character/series while subverting expectations is the key.

As for the rumours, I’ll take them with a pinch of salt, but they certainly don’t float my boat.
    Jolie isn't getting me excited.

oh well. just rumours right now.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Getafix wrote: »
    Jolie isn't getting me excited.

oh well. just rumours right now.

Better than nothing or providing baby bump updates on Rachel
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,000
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    CashleyPersia update:

Supposedly, the big roles in the script are the female villain and Bond's understudy (another female role). I hear Sophie Rundle, Lily James, Ella Purnell and Antonia Thomas have auditioned/met with Boyle (though this list is not exhaustive). The role is not a "love interest" however is the co-lead of the film. I've also heard that Boyle isn't adverse to discovering a new name and possibly someone who isn't an actress. Though it sounds like a moronic suggestion, I've heard the singer Dua Lipa is high on the list.
    Finally, the main villain has been written with Angelina Jolie in mind. I've heard this name for a very long while. I never quite trusted it but Boyle has wanted her since day 1 and it looks as though she's keen. They are now actively courting her and the script is being adjusted accordingly.
    I've heard that the film is very British-based and the tone will be lighter than the last few movies. However, it is written as Craig's final Bond film and I hear Logan being used as a comparison often still....

Sad to say that none of those ideas or suggestions excites me, but I do like Sophie Rundle and am all for a lighter tone.

Wow that sounds awful. The only positive thing is the lighter tone, and even then I don’t think that works for Craig.
    hoping they don't kill off bond and try and set up some "Jane Bond" nonsense.

eon seems to have lost their grip
    Eh. Doesn’t sound like the best idea, but I’m willing to try it before I pass judgment. I just really don’t want the understudy to become the next Bond, or other melodramatic BS to occur. It’s all just rumors anyway. Who even knows if any of this is true. Whenever we get real casting news should be telling if Cashley really is on to something.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I can only imagine, if this is true, that the understudy will have a continuation series or film down the road. It seems inevitable. After all, EON have contemplated it in the past with Wai Lin and with Jinx, and they perhaps are disappointed that they didn't capitalize on it.

Furthermore, I'd imagine MGM would want another franchise that they could rely on and this individual will have a huge global introduction via Bond after all.
    It's hard to have an opinion based on rumours of story points. You really need the context of the final completed film to know whether the final product is a success or not.

I like the names a lot though. Angelina Jolie is a huge get and will make sure the film gets massive exposure. I'd be very excited to see her in the film.

Here's a look at the actresses mentioned:

Sophie Rundle
    f5e726d5d81cdccf4c0a9ed5606015e3.jpg

Lily James
    lily-james-hosts-an-event-to-celebrate-the-launch-of-my-burberry-at-picture-id594340020?k=6&m=594340020&s=612x612&w=0&h=xM7RWPNO--plqVEGDcUmoSUXbuQgnmJOeoHZJGHYCFc=

Antonia Thomas
    tumblr_p2gcxv2ssc1qgakeuo1_540.jpg

Ella Purnell
    actress-ella-purnell-from-the-film-journey-is-the-destination-poses-picture-id629843498?s=612x612

Dua Lipa
    dua-lipa=emile-sande-2017-brit-awards-03.jpg

Lily James is the biggest name, but I think all seem pretty interesting. Once again, I've not read the script so I can't tell you who is best suited.

The only thing that makes me think this is real is how obscure some of the names are.

Of that lot I'll take Lily.
    My favorite thing I heard from that rumor was “very British-based.” I loved how they did that in SF too. I think, assuming the rumors are true, many are getting ahead of themselves in thinking of what could go wrong. None of those ideas HAVE to be badly executed.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    FoxRox wrote: »
    My favorite thing I heard from that rumor was “very British-based.” I loved how they did that in SF too. I think, assuming the rumors are true, many are getting ahead of themselves in thinking of what could go wrong. None of those ideas HAVE to be badly executed.
    Your optimism is certainly a positive. I hope you'll remember it when we go into B26, where I've noticed a bit of unnecessary worry on your part.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    A female understudy and a female villain seems a bit overkill, no?

• edited May 2018 Posts: 12,287
    When I read that (co-lead), at first I was worried, but it may not necessarily mean the understudy is involved in almost every scene. If it’s like a Halle Berry amount of screeentime I think I can handle it.

@bondjames Bond 26 is scarier because they will have to start from scratch moreso, leaving more room to mess up. I’m a big fan of Craig’s Bond so off the bat that’s a good thing.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I feel like Jolie would be a solid choice as a female villain. Not sure how credible these rumors have been, but it seems Cashley has been on the money thus far.
  • RC7RC7
    pachazo wrote: »
    A female understudy and a female villain seems a bit overkill, no?

I think it might be BS. Would reek of pandering if they got it wrong.
    @pachazo More of a chance for The Property of a Lady as the title, so that’s a plus!
    @bondjames Bond 26 is scarier because they will have to start from scratch moreso, leaving more room to mess up. I’m a big fan of Craig’s Bond so off the bat that’s a good thing.
    I know, and in the end I think this is what it really comes down to for a lot of us. There are the avowed (and closet) Craig aficionados who are willing to accommodate to enable him his 'high' and then there are those of us who aren't so keen on the man or his character's trajectory (any more, that is) who are consequently willing to cut EON (or whoever controls the franchise) a lot more slack for B26 despite possible risks.

Bottom line: I couldn't care less if this is what they want to do for B25, and as you said, it could work out just fine. Where I draw the line is if they delay this film any longer. I really want it over and done with.
    I feel that frustration. I think we all do. The wait on this one has been the hardest in my time being a Bond fan. Whatever flaws may come with this, I think having a female villain (hopefully a great character/motivation) could well be worth it considering the lack of that in the Craig era. You can be sure if we got what P&W were writing, we’d just see Blofeld, Maddy, and the other usual stuff again that everyone complained about with SP.
    I feel that frustration. I think we all do. The wait on this one has been the hardest in my time being a Bond fan. Whatever flaws may come with this, I think having a female villain (hopefully a great character/motivation) could well be worth it considering the lack of that in the Craig era. You can be sure if we got what P&W were writing, we’d just see Blofeld, Maddy, and the other usual stuff again that everyone complained about with SP.
    True, P&W out is still the most beneficial thing I've read about B25 in some time.

I hope we get more of a Klebb character than an Elektra though. I'd rather the 'connection' Bond has with this supervillain is professional rather than personal. Having said that, given the age of the 'understudies', I suppose it will have to be romantic, unless he plans on being celibate or accused of underaged sex in the next film.
    bondjames wrote: »
    True, P&W out is still the most beneficial thing I've read about B25 in some time.

I hope we get more of a Klebb character than an Elektra though. I'd rather the 'connection' Bond has with this supervillain is professional rather than personal. Having said that, given the age of the 'understudies', I suppose it will have to be romantic, unless he plans on being celibate or accused of underaged sex in the next film.

Or there could be a Severine type character for a romance angle. Who knows...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They found the perfect Bond girl, but she is only 10 at present, so the film gets delayed to allow her to grow up.
    They found the perfect Bond girl, but she is only 10 at present, so the film gets delayed to allow her to grow up.

This is wrong on every level.
  • RC7RC7

I’m not sure many (if any) fans are averse to a female villain, why would they be? I think it’s the talk of an understudy, female or male, that sounds particularly unappealing.

I tend to think most fans would just very much like a final Craig film that doesn’t attempt any trite narrative gimmicks. A Maibaum style caper, with an exhilarating and engaging plot seems like the sort of film they should be attempting imo. Something very no nonsense.
    RC7 wrote: »

I’m not sure many (if any) fans are averse to a female villain, why would they be? I think it’s the talk of an understudy, female or male, that sounds particularly unappealing.

I tend to think most fans would just very much like a final Craig film that doesn’t attempt any trite narrative gimmicks. A Maibaum style caper, with an exhilarating and engaging plot seems like the sort of film they should be attempting imo. Something very no nonsense.

I can tell you we’d only have more “trite narrative gimmicks” with P&W on board.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I am not opposed to a female villain but the „rookie sidekick“ idea I hate alot. Please spare that, dear Danny Boyle ....
  • RC7RC7

I can tell you we’d only have more “trite narrative gimmicks” with P&W on board.

P&W are guns for hire, so I don’t necessarily agree with that.

Sometimes it’s subjective anyway - these trite gimmicks you speak of. The majority of us here hated gimmicks in SP like making Blofeld Bond’s foster brother or Madeleine being a serious love interest for Bond after Vesper. Or of course tying in the previous films too much. But you can have an idea/gimmick that some may like and others hate.
  • RC7RC7

Sometimes it’s subjective anyway - these trite gimmicks you speak of. The majority of us here hated gimmicks in SP like making Blofeld Bond’s foster brother or Madeleine being a serious love interest for Bond after Vesper. Or of course tying in the previous films too much. But you can have an idea/gimmick that some may like and others hate.

Naturally, hence why I’m saying the ‘understudy’ gimmick is one I imagine a majority of fans would dislike in principle. If I’m mistaken I’m sure I’ll find out on here.
    I've said this before, but to my eyes there is a predictability to P&W which I have become tired of. That same predictability infected some of the 80's films too imho, but I preferred the approach of the older films.

So ultimately, I'm quite happy they're hopefully gone once and for all. I expect we'll have a very different feel with this film as a result, which is long overdue.
    Yeah. As much as I love Craig’s first 3, the P&W feel of things became quite stale and predictable with SP. Especially the retreads of themes from SF, which were done better in that film.

As for the understudy gimmick, there’s so much we still don’t know. We don’t know if it’s true at all, we don’t know if the understudy will really be in the film as much as or close to Craig’s amount, and we don’t know exactly what this character would be like beyond the understudy archetype. They could be a horrible or great character.